Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2004, 07:26 PM
And The Dark Tower Comes To An End: Thank You Mr. King for everything!

So has anyone read the final Dark Tower book. I'm just curious if he explores his on running theme farther of life imitating art or art imitating life i.e. his accident popping up in his books. I thought him putting himself in the last book was quite brilliant in a themetatic way. After all its hard to seperate any author from his work.

Also since King is retiring just wanted to kind of make this an apprectiation thread also. I guess I just want thank King for giving us decades of amazing writing
Old 09-22-2004, 07:57 PM
anybody finished the last DT book?
Old 09-22-2004, 08:17 PM
I'm still on number 3 (I had to take it back to the library 'cause I ran out of time and they wouldn't let me renew it, so I haven't had the chance to finish...). How many Dark Tower books are there in total (including the last one)?
Old 09-22-2004, 09:54 PM
There are 7 books.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:56 AM
I'm on the 4th at the mo, planning on muying the others pretty soon. Very impressed with the story to date. Didn't know Mr King was retireing
Old 09-23-2004, 10:05 AM
Ya hes still writing but he said hes pretty much finished with the "industry". Have you read the non-official Dark Tower books like Talisman and Insomnia
Old 09-23-2004, 03:10 PM
Not a fan of the DT series . . .
But if king's retiring . . . well, good, I guess. He kind of tapped out a few years ago. Still a good author.
Well, adios king.
*goes to read IT*
Old 09-23-2004, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chinton
Ya hes still writing but he said hes pretty much finished with the "industry". Have you read the non-official Dark Tower books like Talisman and Insomnia
You mean "Black House" and "Insomnia", "Talisman" can be read and there's no connection to DT until you read the sequel.

But hey, they ARE connected. I hated that but okay . . . Talisman's still my favorite book.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:41 PM
X-Nightcrawler

I dont know what you meant by that but I also said they were connected. Theyre not official becuase theyre not actually part of the DT Universe. I personally loved it. Its one of the defining aspects to me as to why hell be remebered as one of the great authors of our time. A lot of authors can string along the same characters through their books but very few if any authors can a ctually create a whole mythological substructure to their entire body of work. Thats pretty amazing.

Im kind of sad hes retiring. Bag Of Bones, From A Buick 8, and Hearts In Atlantis represented a new stage for King where he tackled more complex themes. Well I guess Ill have to go rea d them again.

Theres got to be more DT fans on this board
Old 09-24-2004, 10:04 AM
Just got my copy of the Dark Tower yesterday. I have been waiting years for this!

7 great books spread out over 25 years. (Well I havent finished reading the 7th, but I am guessing its gonna be pretty damn good).

What an accomplishment for King.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:15 AM
since nobody's mentioned it, i guess i'll bring it up...

in addition to the Dark Tower books, there's a short DT-spawned story called "The Little Sisters of Eluria" in Everything's Eventual.

Good Story.

Rockin' Like Dokken

~darchangel~
Old 09-24-2004, 01:52 PM
I'm only on book 4, Wizard & Glass, but I love this series. I'm definately a Tower Junkie (as King calls us).
Old 09-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Re: X-Nightcrawler

Quote:
I dont know what you meant by that but I also said they were connected. Theyre not official becuase theyre not actually part of the DT Universe. I personally loved it. Its one of the defining aspects to me as to why hell be remebered as one of the great authors of our time. A lot of authors can string along the same characters through their books but very few if any authors can a ctually create a whole mythological substructure to their entire body of work. Thats pretty amazing.
I meant that I don't remember any sort of connection to DT in "The Talisman" itself.

In "Black House", that's when they connect the Territories with the Dark Tower. And yeah, I agree, great book.
Didn't "rose madder" (never read it) have some DT elements? I remember King mentioning that book, I think, and that it had a "door" like the "doors" in the Drawing of Three (Dark Tower 2). Or maybe it was in the everything's eventual darch mentioned.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
I've tried three times to make it through the first book. I've faltered three times. I just can't seem to make it to the end. Can someone please try to convince me that great treasures lie beyond the first book. I love King's many works but i'm really struggling to make it through The Gunslinger. Christ!!! Last time I made it to about three quarters of the way through and then drifted away from it.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:11 PM
I'd advise you to push on. I didn't really warm to The Gunslinger all that much myself, but once you hit the ground running with the second book and on, things get a LOT better.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:44 PM
In Rose Madder either the world inside the painting is Lud or Lud is mentioned by t he woman inside painting. I know that comes up. Of course Lud can be seen in Waste Lands among other places
Old 09-25-2004, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by syxxpac
I'd advise you to push on. I didn't really warm to The Gunslinger all that much myself, but once you hit the ground running with the second book and on, things get a LOT better.

Exactly. In fact, reading The Gunslinger isn't even that important. Just read the synopsis at the beginning of Drawing Of The Three and you should be good to go.

You'll probably be hooked after 10 pages of DOTT.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by syxxpac
Yeah, even King himself said that the 1st was hard to get into, i agree with docholiday and say just jump to The Drawing Of The 3. Just likes to say that I'm nearing the end of Wizard and Glass and actually starting to dread comin to the end, seein as we know hoe Roland's story is gonna end, I gotta feeling I'm gonna cry
Old 09-26-2004, 01:21 AM
I bought DDTVII today, and it felt really wierd getting it.

I've been reading this series for about 15 years now, and here I am with the final book in my hand. I waited years and years for it, and now that it's here, it almost seems like I was never going to get an ending to this Dark Tower series.

I'm kind of afraid. Since around the time THE WASTE LANDS came out, I started to like this world SO MUCH that I didn't want an ending, because nothing would finish the story with enough satisfaction.

Now I have access to the conclusion, and I don't know if I'll be happy with it. If I end up not liking it, then I've spent the last half of my life waiting for a story that ultimately disappoints.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:44 AM
Quote:
I've tried three times to make it through the first book. I've faltered three times. I just can't seem to make it to the end. Can someone please try to convince me that great treasures lie beyond the first book. I love King's many works but i'm really struggling to make it through The Gunslinger. Christ!!! Last time I made it to about three quarters of the way through and then drifted away from it.

Same thing happened to me with Wizard of Glass . . . right around the time I realized King was just filling pages. I don't think Dark Tower deserved to be so long.I think he started stretching it.
But, not bad books. And like everyone said the first is apparently harder to get into, so be sure you at least dive into the second one (which I liked a lot) before writing off the saga.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KcMsterpce

I've been reading this series for about 15 years now, and here I am with the final book in my hand. I waited years and years for it, and now that it's here, it almost seems like I was never going to get an ending to this Dark Tower series.

I'm kind of afraid. Since around the time THE WASTE LANDS came out, I started to like this world SO MUCH that I didn't want an ending, because nothing would finish the story with enough satisfaction.

Now I have access to the conclusion, and I don't know if I'll be happy with it. If I end up not liking it, then I've spent the last half of my life waiting for a story that ultimately disappoints.

Haven't read VII myself but the consensus among the Dark Tower fanatics is that its a very fitting end to a fantastic series.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:27 PM
I ahvent read the final book yet but to me he was never jus t filing pages. I really just love the characters so I really didnt mind learning of their backstory among toher things.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:58 PM
Quote:
I ahvent read the final book yet but to me he was never jus t filing pages. I really just love the characters so I really didnt mind learning of their backstory among toher things.
I agree, I've never thought of King as an author who "page fills". IT has got 1000 paged approx and in my opinion every page has it's rightful place in the story.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:46 PM
Quote:

Uh oh. *gets urge to read Dark Tower series*
Old 09-27-2004, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by C-Desecration-
Didn't "rose madder" (never read it) have some DT elements? I remember King mentioning that book, I think, and that it had a "door" like the "doors" in the Drawing of Three (Dark Tower 2). Or maybe it was in the everything's eventual darch mentioned.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

in addition to the door thing, 'Rose Madder' mentions going against 'ka', which is a term i saw frequently used in 'Little Sisters of Eluria'.

so to answer your question, yes C-Des i would guess DT and Rose Madder are related in some way.

Rockin' Like Dokken

~darchangel~
Old 09-27-2004, 03:15 PM
But, isn't every single King book connected in the "They're all real but in different worlds thing?" And they're all conncted by the Dark Tower itself?
Old 09-27-2004, 03:26 PM
I always thought the Dark Tower represented King's imagination, and all the different "worlds" are interconnected and at times will cross over with one another.

Or something.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:51 PM
X-Nightcrawler

Your right. King ahs stated many times that the DT Universe is the underlying mythology to all of his books and in a sense all his books are worlds to the DT.

syxxpax

Even if you dont rea d it read the authors afterword at the end of the final DT book. He basically confirms what you said in so many words.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:03 PM
I hope that isn't a spoiler...

Old 09-27-2004, 07:32 PM
Its not really a spoiler. Its more like a metaphorical interpretation of it that King supports.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:28 PM
WARNING!!! THE FOLLOWING POST CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THE FINAL DARK TOWER BOOK!

THIS IS YOUR LAST WARNING!!!

I bought the final chapter in the series, "The Dark Tower", the day it came out and read it almost non-stop until I came to the heart-wrenching conclusion Sunday night. King threw in several twists that totally blew me away, which kinda made up for the ending which many Tower-junkies (myself included), saw coming over a year ago.

Here's a list of my favorite moments:

1. Pere Callahan finally finds redemption for his spiritual failure against the vampire Barlow from 'Salem's Lot when he sacrifices himself to a horde of vampires and low men in order to save Jake's life. I've always felt sorry for Callahan ever since I saw the 'Salem's Lot movie when I was a wee lad, so it was nice to see that he could at least die at peace with himself.

2. Ted Brautigan, from "Hearts in Atlantis", and Dinky Earnshaw, from "Everything's Eventual", both show up and play their parts in Roland's quest. Ted's mysterious history is revealed, and we finally get to see the breaker's "prison": Algul Siento.

3. Sheemie returns!!

4. Eddie's death, while not unexpected, still managed to shock the hell out of me. The fact that it took so long made things a little easier to bear, as the surviving members of the ka-tet at least got to tell him goodbye.

5. Jake sacrifices himself in order to save sai King. This one really caught me off-guard. I knew before reading the book that the tet would be broken, but I had no idea to what extent. I thought Eddie would be the only one to die, but I was wrong.

6. Numerous references to other tower-related stories, including "It" (a certain paper boat), "Insomnia" (though we all saw this one coming), and "Cujo", which in Roland's world apparently means "sweet one". Go figure!

7. The ending. Roland approaches the tower at sunset, calling off the names of all those loved ones who fell during his quest. As he does so, he suddenly remembers the Horn of Eld which he lost in the dirt and debris of the aftermath of Jericho Hill. He wishes he had it with him, and the voice of Gan speaks up in his mind, telling him it would have only taken a few seconds to find it. But Roland ignores this thought and moves on. When the door slams shut behind him, Roland travels through a series of rooms, each one detailing an important point in his life. Fearing the hurtful things he might see, Roland flees to the top of the tower, where he sees a door with his name written on it. He opens it up, and stares into his horrible fate. It is the Mohaine Desert, at the beginning of his journey, when he was still chasing the man in black. This isn't the first time he's reached the tower, and in order to find redemption he must continue onward. Roland begs for mercy, but the tower knows none. The forces of ka push Roland through the door, where he awakes on the other side, dazed, with no memory of what just happened. The book ends with these words: "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

At first, I was stunned. Then I was mildly pissed. The whole loop in time theory has been floating around for about a year now, ever since the revised version of "The Gunslinger" came with the heading RESUMPTION. But the more I think about it, the more I've come to realize that this is really the only way the book could have ended.

Before Roland drew his ka-tet, he lived a harsh, unforgiving life. Many times through-out the series, several characters have said he was damned. Turns out they were right.

No battle can be won without sacrifice, and all quests come with a high price.

Roland is trapped within the tower, constantly reliving his quest, in order to find REDEMPTION for the sins of his past. The world has moved on, and only he is left in the dust.

But there is still hope for Roland, I think. In the last few passages before Roland meets his destiny, the voice of Gan seems to suggest that the Horn of Eld, forgotten long ago on Jericho Hill, is the true key to the room at the top of the tower. In the last paragraph, when Roland resumes his quest, everything is as it was before, except for one thing. He's still carrying the Horn. A gift from Gan, I suppose, in the hopes that this time, things might turn out differently for Roland. This time, when Roland reaches the tower, he can wind the horn of his father and all those before him, and maybe, just maybe, find the redemption he's looking for.

All in all, a fitting end to an incredible series. I'm sad the quest is over, but in a way, it isn't. Not really. In the end, the true ending is left up to the Constant Reader. And, if you ask me, that's just the way it oughta be.

Ka is a wheel. And in the end, it always comes back to the same place.

Last edited by ColonelColinCaine; 09-29-2004 at 08:36 PM..
Old 09-29-2004, 11:36 PM
I ahvent read the last book but I went ahead and read your spoiler conclusion.

All I can say is....wow

Admittedly I havent rea d the book yet but your description of Rolands damned nature is quite moving. I can see why King fans would be angry but I find am incredibly gutsy ending. Maybe its just me.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:41 AM
Also the last sentence is the first sentence. Now that is soo cool.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:29 PM
If anybody feels so inclined, could someone either post all the references in The Dark Tower series to Kings others books or at least give me a link to a site with them on, cuz I've read 1 - 4 and I heard that there is a reference to IT in one of em and I aint come across it. If anyone could help I'd be greatful Cheers.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by tvmorbid
If anybody feels so inclined, could someone either post all the references in The Dark Tower series to Kings others books or at least give me a link to a site with them on, cuz I've read 1 - 4 and I heard that there is a reference to IT in one of em and I aint come across it. If anyone could help I'd be greatful Cheers.
Uh... LOL

To try and summarize the links in the Dark Tower series to King's books in a single post would be impossible.
In the book It, there's a whole sequence where one of the characters rides on the back of a turtle (of enormous girth) and has a long discussion that makes reference to the Dark Tower.

A shitload of his books have blatant references to the series, and every book has been inexplicably linked the Dark Tower series. Especially in the last three books.

There are books already dedicated to King's work that are easy to find, and now that the series is complete, those books can be at least twice as large now.

I'm sure if you google 'The Dark Tower' then you're bound to find some shit on it. Get a lot of questions answered.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Uh... LOL

To try and summarize the links in the Dark Tower series to King's books in a single post would be impossible.
In the book It, there's a whole sequence where one of the characters rides on the back of a turtle (of enormous girth) and has a long discussion that makes reference to the Dark Tower.
Hmmm, King always said that the Turtle in IT wasn't the same one as the one in Dark Tower. Maybe he changed his mind, I REALLY gotta get the last books!
Old 10-12-2004, 05:00 PM
if he didnt mean it like that thats an odd coincidence that he would jus t happen to write something that could be linked to t he Dark Tower
Old 10-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Quote:
if he didnt mean it like that thats an odd coincidence that he would jus t happen to write something that could be linked to t he Dark Tower
Aye, but in IT King wrote that the Turtle made the whole universe (by vomiting it up, go figure) and lived in the Macroverse. In the Tower series, the Turtle is one of the Guardian's and carries the world on his back (sounds like an idea from Discworld...)
Old 10-13-2004, 03:43 PM
true.

It would be interesting if King went back and rewrote every book keeping the full DT Universe in mind.

Im not saying he didnt do it well e nough the first time or even that this should be considered. i just think its interesting