Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2004, 03:10 PM
I finally finished the last book. Wow. Totally mind blowing. I did not see the ending coming at all.

What a great series of books.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:17 PM
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The one thing I really didnt understand was why Susanah left at the end. Why didnt she stay to see the Dark Tower? I dont think the book really ever gave a good explanation for it.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:21 PM
IMO BSET BOOK EVER. The story that lasts a lifetime (for some) and has endless connections to our society and world(s) as a whole. SK has managed to produce, from his fingertips, the very things that drive a good story that is so much more than a story. I have anticipated this story for so long now and I am releived to be done. I would like to write more about it but I have to go home a sleep, too much school and not enough play.

Gunslinger *****
Drawing of the Three ****
Wastelands ***
Wizard and Glass ***
Wolves of the Calla ***
Song of Susannah **
The Dark Tower *****

Thank you Stephen King.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Im reading Waste lands. Going to go through a dn fianlly finsih them. Wow I forgot how good Waste Lands was
Old 12-23-2004, 06:21 PM
I finished Wizard beautiful book and so sad. Susan was such a great character.

Now Im starting Wolves Of Calla. So far its very interesting. Im curious to see how Father Perre got there
Old 12-29-2004, 09:44 AM
Now Im on the last book what an amazing series books. One of the best series Ive ever head. Its been so complex and layered Im really impressed. I dont know why people were so mad about King including himself. I thought up fascinating questions about where the writer gets his ideas to write.

Has anbody else finsihed the series?
Old 08-27-2005, 10:34 PM
I'm up to the final part of The Gunslinger. It's pretty boring, but I already have all 7 bboks and going on what a couple of you have said, I'm going to push through the first book and hopefully see the story pick up in the second book.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:36 PM
the first book is a bit slow although ver well w ritten to me. Its really jus t there to fully introduce Roland
Old 10-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chinton
Now Im on the last book what an amazing series books. One of the best series Ive ever head. Its been so complex and layered Im really impressed. I dont know why people were so mad about King including himself. I thought up fascinating questions about where the writer gets his ideas to write.

Has anbody else finsihed the series?
I finished it over the summer. It has definitely been the best reading experience of my life. The fact that I was nineteen when I picked up and read "The Gunslinger" is a pretty cool thing in itself . Roland would have said that this is ka. Eddie would have said ka-ka, but anyway...

I love all of the seven books, but "Wizard and Glass" sticks out the most to me. I am so impressed at King's ability to write such a moving, sweeping tale of romance. The story of Roland and Susan will always haunt me. I should also note that Susan Delgado is probably one of the best female characters King has ever written. The ending to the flashback portion of the book left me said and melancholy for the whole week.

As for the ending, I was oblivious to the theory being circulated online beforehand, but I found it appropriate and satisfying.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:04 AM
its nice to see somebody agree with me about the ending.

For all the people saying how lame or a cop out the ending was I just dont get out. There was constant clues it was coming and I thought it was quite approiate.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:22 PM
I just finished Book 7.

SPOILERS!!!!

WOW!! What an ending! It totally blew me away that Roland should be damned to endure his quest over and over again until he realises that redemption is not found at the head of the Tower, but in the people he befriends along the way. This series had the best ending to a book I have ever read. And that is saying a lot. While I think King is a bit strange in what he puts in his books, you have to give credit where it is due, and I just want to salute Mr King for genius of him writing the conclusion he did. The last lines are some of the best I have ever read:

Roland touched the horn again, and its reality was oddly comforting, as if he had never touched it before.
Time to get moving.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed...

I still don't know if it was worth reading the whole series, but to come to this point I am very inclined to say "yes indeedy sai. Very much much, say thankya."

Cya.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Nice to see I have another supporter in t he brilliance of the ending.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:34 PM
I cant believe no-one has mentioned the Dark Tower comicbook being released by Marvel! The stories are being written by King himself and the artwork is superb. Check out the full story HERE

A brief tatse of the artwork:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg darktower_p02_col2.jpg (47.9 KB, 114 views)