Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Horror Movie talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2004, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Carpicon

73) Blood Simple - I never saw this movie, but it can't be that frightening. M. Emmet Walsh is not scary, never has been, never will be. The "moment" is Walsh trying to open a window and getting his hand stabbed. At least it looks like it hurts.

I've seen it and I can say the Coens made it ONE CREEPY FLICK. And lemme tell ya HOW CREEPY:

The first time I watched it was in my college's library, so this is in the daytime with people around and I'm wearing headphones and I was still on edge with goosebumps.

That same day I made a post here at Joblo about why I think the Coens should make a horror flick, and many agreed.

Watch it and you'll understand.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:41 AM
So is the Village of the Damned the original or the 1995 remake? Because if it's the one with Superman and Kirsty Alley then this would be my response: The only thing scary about that movie is how bad it is.

SPOILERS FOR FRIDAY THE 13TH:

I would also say the same thing about Friday the 13th and Pet Semetary. I know these movies are popular among horror movie fans but I did not find them to be remotely scary. Pet Semetary was utterly boring and Friday the 13th was so bad it had some unintentionally hilarious moments! Especially any scene with Jason's mother! What a horrible actress!
Old 11-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ilovemovies
So is the Village of the Damned the original or the 1995 remake? Because if it's the one with Superman and Kirsty Alley then this would be my response: The only thing scary about that movie is how bad it is.

Ummmmm - no it was the original. The remake , though I have respect for all of the actors involved , was not up to par.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Carpicon

56) Single White Female - Ok, you've GOT to be kidding me. The movie was a little bit creepy, but look at the stuff it beat out. The part where Jennifer Jason Leigh gets her hair cut and colored exactly like Bridget Fonda. Then someone says, "never has a haircut been more terrifying." No shit. That's because a haircut isn't.
What, suddenly seeing your room-mate dressing, acting, and cutting their hair like you isn't creepy?
Old 05-25-2005, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ilovemovies

SPOILERS FOR FRIDAY THE 13TH:

I would also say the same thing about Friday the 13th and Pet Semetary. I know these movies are popular among horror movie fans but I did not find them to be remotely scary. Pet Semetary was utterly boring and Friday the 13th was so bad it had some unintentionally hilarious moments! Especially any scene with Jason's mother! What a horrible actress!
It wasn't "The Scariest Movies of All Time" it was "The Scariest movie moments of all time" and both of the scenes from each movie were startling/disturbing.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:10 PM
ISN'T THIS THE SAME AS MY THREAD???
Old 05-26-2005, 09:37 AM
Yeah, except we beat you by about seven months.

I included a link to this thread in yours so that someone could see the entire list. Others started posting in here again.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:10 PM
This was the absolute WORST horror list EVER put together. Truly embarrasing. At least 60 films on this list should not be there. And there were obvious omissions. Had some nice looking chicks on the show though. All in all, a complete waste of time.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by murder
This was the absolute WORST horror list EVER put together. Truly embarrasing. At least 60 films on this list should not be there. And there were obvious omissions. Had some nice looking chicks on the show though. All in all, a complete waste of time.
Would you be so kind as to replace those 60 with your choices?
I thought it was nice to see a hand full of of obscure titles(Audition, The Beyond). 99% of those lists that appear on regular tv are almost carbon copies of the ones that proceed them. Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Friday the 13th, The Exorcist, blah, blah, blah. Granted those titles appeared on the list but so weren't alot of deserving less obvious choices. And some were even beat out by some unexpected ones.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:41 AM
My favorate Show in the world!
Old 08-31-2005, 05:49 PM
The Bravo list was flawed, to me. For one, alot of the actual scary parts of movies were ommited, and the scenes in the movies that weren't really scary were included. For example, in Pet Semetary, they had the scene where Gage sliced his neighbords achilles tendon as the scariest part, however, if you ask many people that have seen the movie, they will tell you that the scariest part of Pet Semetary is the Zelda flashback.

Also, what was up with , Don't look Now, being in the list?. I actually borrowed the movie from the library, just because of seeing it on the Bravo list, and I was so dissapointed- the ending was not scary at all!!

Last edited by mindkiss69; 08-31-2005 at 05:52 PM..
Old 06-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpicon View Post
100) 28 Days Later - The attack in the house, where Jim is standing in front of the window with the candle.

99) Creepshow - The scene in the last story about the cleanfreak, where the roaches pour out of his body

98) Zombie - The eyeball pokey scene. Great to see that one in there! I would've ranked it a bit higher though.

97) Cat People - A scene where some lady is walking through the park and a bus pulls up. I haven't seen this one, but apparently it was the first fakeout scare filmed.

96) The Birds - I guess it was the scene where she is in the phone booth. Wasn't real clear which one they were talking about.

95) Jurassic Park - The kitchen scene with the raptors. Suspenseful yes. Scary, no.

94) Child's Play - The scene where the mother picks up Chucky and threatens to throw him in the fire.

93) Pacific Heights - Where Michael Keaton's character discovers that Melanie Griffiths's character has been snooping in his life. Again, haven't seen this movie.

92) Village of the Damned - The scene at the end where he's trying to build a brick wall around his mind. Forgot about this one. Good stuff

91) Shallow Grave - Some shot where these three guys are burying someone. Haven't seen this movie, so I have no frame of reference.

90) Night of the Hunter - The scene in the basement where Robert Mitchum figures out where the money is.

89) Alice Sweet Alice - Great movie, but they picked the wrong scene. They showed the one in the warehouse at the very beginning, but the scarier one is the stairwell scene.

88) Invasion of the Body Snatchers (old) - The scene in the cave where the guy figures out the girl is a pod.

87) Black Christmas - Another where they never pinpoint a specific scene. I think they're talking about the part near the end where you realize that the girl with the plastic on her face has been in the attic the whole time. Great movie that you almost never hear mentioned outside specific circles though.

86) Wizard of Oz - Scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. Again, they never talk about a specific moment. I also think this is one of a few movies that they didn't get permission to show clips, because they don't.

85) Blood and Black Lace - They show a couple scenes but talk about the movie as a whole more than any stand-out part.

84) Blue Velvet - The scene where Kyle MacLachlan is hiding in the closet and Dennis Hopper is chugging on the Nitrous. They don't show the whole scene though.

83) The Others - The part where Nicole Kidman walks in on her daughter in the white dress. IMO not the scariest scene in the movie, but definitely the best known.

82) Terminator - The scene with the cybernetic skeleton. See Jurassic Park.

81) The Howling - The scene where she's looking through the file cabinets and the wolf attacks her.

80) Poltergeist - The clown scene. My first MAJOR gripe with this list. This scene is in my top ten, easy. I can understand a list that puts it at 20 or even 30 but 80?

79) Dracula (Bela Lugosi)- Never really talk about any specific scene but they show the one where Dracula is meeting Harker at the entrance and as he walks back into the castle, is suddenly on the other side of the spiderwebs without disturbing them.

78) The Brood - The scene in the shed where Nora licks the baby clean. I really wish they would've shown the part immediately before.

77) Signs - The Mexican birthday party scene.

76) Evil Dead - They show a bunch of different ones here, but seem to focus on the one where Ash goes into the basement and the pipe breaks above his head, showering him with blood.

75) Candyman - The scene where the bees practically swarm out of him.

74) Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Another movie where they don't show any clips. I get the feeling that they're talking about the crazy boat ride. I remember seeing this movie when I was a kid and feeling like the whole movie took a hard left turn at that scene. Wasn't there a shot of a chicken having its head cut off in the background?

73) Blood Simple - I never saw this movie, but it can't be that frightening. M. Emmet Walsh is not scary, never has been, never will be. The "moment" is Walsh trying to open a window and getting his hand stabbed. At least it looks like it hurts.

72) Them! - A shot of a group of people in a helicopter. Below them is a giant ant with a ribcage in its mandibles.

71) The Sixth Sense - The tent scene with Mischa Barton throwing up all over herself. Great, great scene.

70) The Stepfather - I haven't seen this movie, but it's a scene in the basement where Terry O'Quinn is ranting to no one in particular. He sees the daughter and immediately flips into "nice" mode.

69) Re-Animator - I am ashamed that I've never seen this movie. Ashamed. It's a pretty groovy looking scene of a decapitated guy and his head working over a tied-up nekkid chick.

68) The Black Cat - Boris Karloff is tied up in the basement being skinned alive. That guy is creepy looking even without makeup on.

67) Duel - They don't cite a specific scene but just talk about the entire movie. I've never even heard of this one. Ok, just looked it up, it's a made-for-TV movie...that's why.

66) The Marathon Man - The dental interrogation scene...uggggh.

65) The Tenant - God I hate Roman Polanski. Anyway, it's a scene where he finds a tooth in the wall. Whoopie.

64) Near Dark - The part where Bill Paxton is walking on the bar and kills that guy with his spurs.

63) Deliverance - They don't show the entire thing. I guess you can get away with only so much man-on-man action...even on cable.

62) The Wolf Man - A scene where Lon Chaney is chasing that woman through the fog. Also reference the transformation scene.

61) The Devil's Backbone - Another one I've never seen. The scene looks like it's in a sewer or something. There's this kid and a ghost down there. Sorry, best I can do.

60) The Beyond - Ok...I have seen this one. The part in the hospital where the creepy girl with Lil' Orphan Annie eyes gets shot and her face falls off.

59) Fatal Attraction - The very end where Glenn Close gets drowned in the tub, but then pops up and gets shot. I saw this movie before I was old enough for it to really scare me.

58) Cujo - I personally hated this movie. I thought the book sucked too. Anyway it's some generic scene where they're trapped in the car and Cujo is trying to get in. I think it's the first one because they don't have the doors closed and she tries to roll up the window.

57) House of Wax - The part where the woman hits Vincent Price in the head and his mask falls apart, revealing his real face.

56) Single White Female - Ok, you've GOT to be kidding me. The movie was a little bit creepy, but look at the stuff it beat out. The part where Jennifer Jason Leigh gets her hair cut and colored exactly like Bridget Fonda. Then someone says, "never has a haircut been more terrifying." No shit. That's because a haircut isn't.

55) Spoorloos - The Vanishing - God I loved this movie. I loved this scene, but the problem I had is that Bravo just ruined the whole movie for anyone who hasn't seen it. Yep, it's the ending.

54) The Changeling - One of my favorite horror movies. Also my favorite part of the movie and way scarier than that stupid wheelchair. The rubber ball scene.

53) Demons - Wow. First a Bava film and now an Argento flick? Good stuff. The part where that demon chick rips that guys neck open.

52) Phantom of the Opera - The unmasking scene. I expected this to be way higher, if only for its historical significance.

51) Dead Zone - The scissors-suicide scene.

50) The Last House on the Left - The first death, where the killers stab what's-her-name for like 10 minutes.

49) Les Diabolique - The bathtub scene.

48) The Thing - Double feature! They showcase two scenes here: The spider-head thing, and the bloodtest scene.

47) Nosferatu - They show a lot of clips from this one. I guess the main one they're talking about is the scene where Count Orlock rises from his coffin.

46) The Sentinel - Another movie I loved to death, and doesn't get enough credit. The scene they talk about is the one where she wakes up in the middle of the night and her weirdo ghost/zombie dad is hiding behind the door.

45) The Wicker Man - The final scene where the hippies are burning the wicker man. Another movie that they ruined for anyone who hasn't seen it.

44) The Game - Huh? Who let this one slip in here? Anyway, the scene where he finds the clown lying on the ground in front of his house.

43) It's Alive! - The scene where, just after the baby is born, he wipes out the hospital staff.

42) An American Werewolf in London - The transformation scene.

41) The Hills Have Eyes - This was another movie that scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. Anyway, the scene where the hairy brother kills the two women and makes off with the baby.

40) Black Sunday - The witch-burning scene where they hammer that spiky mask on her face.

39) Dawn of the Dead - The helicopter scene. Nowhere near the scariest scene in this movie, but I think that the others would've required a lot of setup to explain. Personally, I prefer the one in the boiler room with the Janitor zombie. The good thing is that I once again realized how great the sound effects in that movie are.

38) Peeping Tom - I've never seen this one, but it looks really weird. It's a scene where some blind woman is getting filmed and poked by the killer.

37) House on Haunted Hill - The original. The scene where they're knocking on the walls and that old woman ghost pops up behind her.

36) Cape Fear - The original. A rare occasion where I prefer the remake. Anyway it's the scene where Mitchum has the daughter trapped in her room, as he breaks in. The only dumb thing about this is that someone honestly says that Mitchum's character was a prototype for Freddy, Jason and Michael Myers. Whatever.

35) Aliens - I'm sorry, but this movie would've been so much better without Newt. She annoyed the hell out of me. The scene where Ripley and Newt are trapped in that room with the two face-huggers.

34) The Hitcher - The final scene with the chick tied to the truck. Good stuff.

33) The Fly - The birth scene. When you see it out of context, it looks almost silly.

32) Pet Sematary - The scene with Gage under the bed where he offs Herman Munster. IMO the much scarier scenes are the ones with Zelda. "Rachel...Rachel!!"

31) Friday the 13th - The final scene with Alice in the lake. God that music is awesomely 80's.

30) The Blair Witch Project - Some hate it, I loved it. It's the final scene in the basement of that creepy house.

29) The Serpent and the Rainbow - Yet another movie that scarred me as a child. Wes Craven certainly had my number. It's the scene where he's walking through the street after being drugged and "dying". At the end he says, "Don't let them bury me, I'm not dead."

28) When a Stranger Calls - "We've traced the call, it's coming from inside the house."

27) Frankenstein - The scene where the monster is picking flowers by the lake with the little girl.

26) Seven - Sloth. nuff said.

25) Phantasm - God, I hated this movie. Maybe I should give it another chance, but I just thought it was so bad. The scene where the boy is sleeping. He wakes up and is in the cemetary with the Tall Man standing over his bed. Creepy scene.

24) Suspiria - They show an abbreviated version of the opening death scene. Starting at the heart being stabbed, and ending with the noose tightening. No mention of the girl at the bottom eating glass.

23) Rosemary's Baby - The Satan rape scene. Another movie I may need to give one more chance. I remember being bored to tears with it the first time I saw it.

22) Don't Look Now - That scene where Donald Sutherland is chasing "his daughter" through the street, only to find out it's a crazy looking dwarf with a knife.

21) Jacob's Ladder - The trippy dance scene where she has a lizard tail.

20) The Ring - Fuck you Bravo. Fuck you Peter Jackson. Fuck everyone who commented on this movie. This is where I almost turned off my VCR and wrote this whole stupid list off. All throughout this thing, we have the original version of almost every film. Village of the Damned, Body Snatchers, Dracula, Cape Fear, House on Haunted Hill etc. Then they go and talk about The Ring while ignoring the fact that a superior version exists. I think all my animosity on this subject has to do with the fact that the remake got that scene so, so wrong. I can barely watch the Ringu version without being affected somehow. The Ring feels like a comic book to me. I do understand that Bravo has to adapt for the audience, but you didn't see them showing the remake of The Vanishing did you? Again, fuck you Bravo.

19) Hellraiser - The Cenobites arrival in the hospital. The scariest scene in the movie? You be the judge.

18) The Haunting - The scene where they're all huddled in the living room and the door starts to bow in.

17) A Nightmare on Elm Street - My favorite scene in the movie, where Tina is killed and dragged all over the room by an invisible Freddy. They show stills of the scene where the blood shoots out of the bed.

16) The Omen - Questionable choice here. The scene where the Nanny kills Mrs. Thorn in the hospital as she's putting that dress on.

15) Freaks - See above. While this one was creepy, they even admit that the scariest part is the ending, but then proceed to show the chase scene just before the ending. Dumbasses.

14) Halloween - The part near the end when you think Michael is dead and she tells the children to call the police. Michael then slowly sits up and looks towards Laurie. Gets me every time.

13) Scream - I think a lot of people are jaded about this movie and what it did to the genre for a number of years. I know that I loved it when it first came out. Especially the scene that they reference..."I want to know who I'm looking at." That is good stuff.

12) Misery - The hobbling scene. Man, that scene still gets me.

11) Audition - (Carp does a double take) Huh? A Miike film, one slot out of the top ten in a mainstream list? Dang, I'm impressed. They mostly focus on the torture sequences and the scene where you realize that she's got something in that bag.

10) Wait Until Dark - Never seen this one, perhaps i'll have to see it, even though one scene has now been ruined for me. It's a scene where the villan jumps out at some woman. Seems a little cheap to me.

9) Night of the Living Dead - The scene in the basement where the little girl attacks her mother.

8) Carrie - The final jump. They also play the shower scene at the beginning, even though I though the scariest thing in this movie was the Jesus with the glowing eyes.

7) The Silence of the Lambs - This movie never exactly scared me, but it was definitely creepy and unsettling. They show the scene where he escapes from his cell, but skip the best part which is him beating the guard with the nightstick, and then conducting the music in his cell.

6) The Shining - I still discover things about this movie every time I watch it. They show the clip where Shelly Duvall finds Jack's manuscript. Nice try, but the tricycle scene (see above) or the room 237 scene or any number of others are better than that one.

5) Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Classic. The scene where we first see Leatherface and he shuts that door. I still can't explain verbally why that scene affects me the way it does...

4) Psycho - Dang, I fully expected this one to be #1. Even more inexplicable is their choice of scariest moment. It wasn't the shower scene, (even though they show parts of it) but the part where Arbogast gets it.

3) The Exorcist - This is the all-time best in my opinion. I've never had a movie affect me like this one. So many good scenes to pick from, they focus on the scene during the exorcism where her head spins all the way around. John Landis has some of the best comments on this one, and he's absolutely right. "It takes a basically ludicrous premise. You know, Satan is in the body of this little girl, and somehow the church, when they're not molesting young boys, will protect us from Satan. And it makes you totally believe it."

2) Alien - Another classic film. The chestburster scene.

1) Jaws - The opening scene. I'm not sure if I buy this one, but they make a good case. I just wasn't that scared by Jaws, but then again, I live in Wisconsin. Not many sharks here. I will say that every movie in the top 10 deserves to be there. Well, maybe not #10, but I've never seen that one.
Number 5 should have actually been number 1. That's a very morbid scene. That's the problem with list like these though it going by what was the scariest at the time it was made. Scream, The Haunting, The Ring, Rosemarys Baby, Frakenstein, The Game, Cujo, Fatal Attraction, Duel and Pacific Heights shouldn't have been included or anywhere near a list like this. Maybe a top 500 list.