#6601  
Old 07-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
If I'm the Lakers though, I pull out of these talks right away and focus on building a solid bench, unless Dwight decides to agree to an extension.
I agree. Take a hard stance on it and stop wasting time. Allegedly, his stance still hasn't changed, which is why I still think he'll end up in Brooklyn. Until Billy King says the talks are dead publicly, not one of Bucher's sources, I feel they're still avlie. Magic GM says they are "stationary" but not dead.

I don't know why Dwight doesn't want to go to LA. He mentioned he wants to play in a big market and play for a contender. Lakers definitely meet both of those. He also said he wants to be "the man" wherever he goes. Doesn't it make more sense to play with an older superstar so he can take the reigns in a couple of years, as opposed to guys his own age, if he really wants to be a leader?

I hate all of this. It's worse than Brett Favre news.
Reply With Quote
  #6602  
Old 07-11-2012, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
He also said he wants to be "the man" wherever he goes.
He's not going to get that in any of the places he's wanted to be traded to over the past couple of years. Does he really think he'll be "the man" if he goes to Brooklyn? That is Williams' team.

Last edited by Bourne101; 07-11-2012 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6603  
Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Apparently the Nets have stopped talks of trading for him, after resigning Lopez to (I think) a max deal.

The Magic are withdrawing from trading/convo for Howard at this point in time, to focus on hiring a new coach. Jesus Orlando, why must you insist on dragging this shit out further?!?!?
Reply With Quote
  #6604  
Old 07-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Apparently the Lopez contract puts an end to the Nets/Howard talk. Not sure why (I thought signing and then trading a player was common practice in the NBA) but I guess it has something to do with the amount of money they gave him or the timing of the signing, as it appears he can't be traded until January 15th now. Kind of confusing to me, but whatever.

It looks like the major hang up was Kris Humphries, as the Magic would've had to take him in a sign-and-trade in order for the money to work out and allow them to dump Jason Richardson in the deal. Orlando doesn't want him for some reason. Not sure why he gets so much hate, as he's an incredible rebounder.

So Lopez gets a pretty hefty contract. More than the max he could get from other teams (which I believe is 4 years, $58 million for someone who never made an all-star team). Good for him.

If he can stay healthy and develop, I actually like the squad the Nets will put on the floor. Lopez, Humphries (assuming they resign him), Wallace, Johnson, and Williams is a pretty strong starting 5. MarShon Brooks and this Bosnian guy coming off the bench isn't half bad, either. For the record, I really like Brooks. He can be a 20 ppg scorer one day.

As for Orlando, I don't know where they turn now. They have to hope Howard agrees to an extension with LA because otherwise, they'll have to take whatever Atlanta offers or keep Howard around until at least the All-Star break. Can't imagine they actually want to do that.
Reply With Quote
  #6605  
Old 07-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Yeah, oh well. Let's see if Lopez can do something with some pieces around him now. I hope so. I also hope that the Magic don't trade him and get nothing when he leaves or fucks a really shitty deal if they do trade him. I still contend they blew a great opportunity.
Reply With Quote
  #6606  
Old 07-11-2012, 11:15 PM
I love what Dallas is doing.

They saved a bunch of money and struck out on all of their targets. Dwight didn't opt out, and they missed Deron Williams. In the past, teams that have done this often end up spending stupidly (like the Nets after missing on Lebron).

But the Mavs are acquiring guys either with expiring contracts (Darren Collison) or signing guys to one year contracts (Chris Kaman) instead of offering huge deals to guys that don't deserve them. Now, Dallas will be a huge player in free agency next year again, with the chance to possibly bring in Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, or any one else.

It sucks for Dirk, who only has a couple of great years left, that the Mavs won't be much of a factor this year. However, it's a smart move by the organization to not panic and spend money stupidly. Good job, Cuban!
Reply With Quote
  #6607  
Old 07-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
I love what Dallas is doing.

They saved a bunch of money and struck out on all of their targets. Dwight didn't opt out, and they missed Deron Williams. In the past, teams that have done this often end up spending stupidly (like the Nets after missing on Lebron).

But the Mavs are acquiring guys either with expiring contracts (Darren Collison) or signing guys to one year contracts (Chris Kaman) instead of offering huge deals to guys that don't deserve them. Now, Dallas will be a huge player in free agency next year again, with the chance to possibly bring in Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, or any one else.

It sucks for Dirk, who only has a couple of great years left, that the Mavs won't be much of a factor this year. However, it's a smart move by the organization to not panic and spend money stupidly. Good job, Cuban!
I agree 100% with you on this. Smart moves for sure, but I'm quite confident Dallas will NOT be winning another Championship anytime soon.

On an unrelated note:



Blasphemy.

Last edited by jaw2929; 07-12-2012 at 01:01 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6608  
Old 07-12-2012, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
On an unrelated note:


Woah. That will take getting used to.
Reply With Quote
  #6609  
Old 07-12-2012, 09:48 AM
I wonder how long it will take Kobe to say something to Nash after he turns the ball over yet again im crunch time of the 4th qtr of a big game?? Think he will wait to even get off the floor?
Reply With Quote
  #6610  
Old 07-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I wonder how long it will take Kobe to say something to Nash after he turns the ball over yet again im crunch time of the 4th qtr of a big game?? Think he will wait to even get off the floor?
I can't wait to see the Kobe/Nash dynamic.

I keep thinking back to (I think) Game 2 of the series against the Thunder, when the Lakers blew a huge lead, Artest inbounded the ball on the final possession to Steve Blake, Kobe got pissed off BEFORE BLAKE EVEN SHOT and was so angry that, after Blake missed, he didn't even go for the rebound or foul when there was still time left on the clock.

Does Kobe react similarly if it's Steve Nash? If Nash and Gasol run a high screen (which honestly should be the best play for the Lakers next year) in a big moment and Kobe isn't involved, does he get angry? Or does he just let it slide out of respect for one of the greatest pure point guards to ever play the game?

I can't wait. Kobe has always been the supreme Alpha Dog. Even in the 2008 Olympics, as people were saying Lebron surpassed him as the best player in the league, it was Kobe who took over in big moments (completely owned Spain down the stretch of a close game while everyone else just watched in awe). But basketball-wise, the Nash-Gasol high screen seems pretty unstoppable when you consider Nash's creativity (can find any one, drive, or just pull-up) and Gasol's versatility (can either roll hard or pop out for a 15-18 footber). Imagine a stretch of 5 straight possessions where Kobe is on the floor but doesn't touch the ball? The Mayans might have been on to something after all.
Reply With Quote
  #6611  
Old 07-13-2012, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I wonder how long it will take Kobe to say something to Nash after he turns the ball over yet again im crunch time of the 4th qtr of a big game?? Think he will wait to even get off the floor?
I had no idea this was Nash's reputation. I always thought his reputation was that of an extremely effective playmaker and arguably the most efficient shooter of this generation. Nash is a brilliant baller and to see him perform at such a high level at this advanced age is simply amazing. We don't get guys like this very often. Kobe-Nash is going to be a fascinating combo and I can't wait to see what it produces.

Last edited by Brando @$$ Fat; 07-13-2012 at 12:57 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6612  
Old 07-13-2012, 01:12 AM
Dated Jan 2012

Steve Nash is best known as one of the NBA's all-time great assist men, but there's no hiding the fact that he's quite prone to fumbling the rock (5.3 TOP48). In fact, he currently ranks 16th in NBA history with 3,155 turnovers. It's likely he'll rise to the 14th slot before season's end, right in front of Scottie Pippen and just in front of Allen Iverson.

Fun fact: Steve Nash has led the league in turnovers twice during his 16-year career (2007-08, 2009-10).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...the-nba/page/8

SN ave 3.22 TO per playoff game. his reg season ave is 2.9

I have nothing against the guy. He plays the way I like to see basketball play, but every big series I see him make TO at the end of the game that kill his teams
Reply With Quote
  #6613  
Old 07-13-2012, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
I can't wait. Kobe has always been the supreme Alpha Dog. Even in the 2008 Olympics, as people were saying Lebron surpassed him as the best player in the league, it was Kobe who took over in big moments (completely owned Spain down the stretch of a close game while everyone else just watched in awe).
I still think Kobe's the best player in the NBA currently. Still better than James, even though LBJ's won his ring. Of course I'm sure I'm in the minority on that opinion (hell, I may be the only one with it) but I don't care. I'd much rather watch Bryant play, and I'd much rather have the ball in his hands when the game is on the line, than I would James. And this is coming from a Celtics fan who hates the Lakers! (Never liked the Lakers, but always respected their players like Worthy, Magic, Kareem & Kobe)
Reply With Quote
  #6614  
Old 07-13-2012, 03:44 AM
I don't want to talk about Dwight Howard, but an interesting development is that Houston may wavie Luis Scola in order to sweeten the deal for Orlando (with that money saved, they can take on a bad contract or two from the Magic).

Anyway, I don't wanna discuss Howard, but Scola being amnestied is interesting. He's a crafty PF who can get 15-20 points and is an underrated rebounder (last year I feel was an aberration... he can easily grab 8 boards per game).

What team makes sense for him? I doubt he'll clear waivers, so only teams with salary cap space can bid on him. I feel there should be a lot of suitors. The cap is $58 million, and it's hard to say who will be under that number once the agreed-upon contracts are finally signed. I think Scola would make sense for any team, honestly. Yeah, he's 32, but for his style of play, that's not bad. He doesn't rely on athleticism, but fundamentals and creativity. He'll be solid for another 5 years. Allegedly Dallas is interested, but I think more teams will throw their hat in the ring.
Reply With Quote
  #6615  
Old 07-13-2012, 09:43 AM
I do find it interesting how the Magic has done zero to make Howard want to stay. They just seem to be looking for this star for star, picks and cap help dream trade that is not happening. I am guessing even though Howard wants to leave before the season starts, that the Magic are going to have him play this season with them. If that is the plan, why not go for broke and find out what players he would want to them trade out or bring in. You know, improve the team?????
Reply With Quote
  #6616  
Old 07-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
I love what Dallas is doing.

They saved a bunch of money and struck out on all of their targets. Dwight didn't opt out, and they missed Deron Williams. In the past, teams that have done this often end up spending stupidly (like the Nets after missing on Lebron).

But the Mavs are acquiring guys either with expiring contracts (Darren Collison) or signing guys to one year contracts (Chris Kaman) instead of offering huge deals to guys that don't deserve them. Now, Dallas will be a huge player in free agency next year again, with the chance to possibly bring in Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, or any one else.

It sucks for Dirk, who only has a couple of great years left, that the Mavs won't be much of a factor this year. However, it's a smart move by the organization to not panic and spend money stupidly. Good job, Cuban!
But if you're gonna do this you have to do it all the way and trade Dirk for as many young assets as you can NOW. (He has a no-trade clause, though.)

I said at the end of last year this would happen. No FA has EVER wanted to come to Dallas to play with Dirk, nor have they ever acquired any talent, except in trades. They have consistently failed to develop young talent, and have a very poor draft history. Last even moderately good player they drafted was Devin Harris and he was the 5th overall pick.

The future is very, very bleak for the Mavs.

They won a title thanks to Tyson Chandler, DeShawn Stevenson and JJ Barea. Dirk was in beast mode all playoffs and Jason Terry actually played well, but those three guys, if you really look at it, were the difference makers. JJ Barea swept the Lakers all by himself.

Sadly those were the first three players to get the boot after the title. What the fuckin fuck.
Reply With Quote
  #6617  
Old 07-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
But if you're gonna do this you have to do it all the way and trade Dirk for as many young assets as you can NOW. (He has a no-trade clause, though.)
That's tough, because Dirk is the best player that franchise has ever had.

Dallas had a plan, and it failed, as you predicted. But again, it's best to not overreact and make stupid signings just because you have cap space. After the Nets missed the big FA's of two years ago, they ended up with signing Jordan Farmar for 3 years and Travis Outlaw for 5 years. Those are the kinds of contracts that caused the lockout: overpaying for mid-to-low-tier players.

I like that Dallas didn't panic and will make sure that next offseason, they will still have enough money available to sign at least 1 major free agent. Maybe they can get Dwight (who knows what he's thinking) and pair him with James Harden or even Chris Paul if they're really lucky. Who knows?

As for trading Dirk, again, him being the best player in franchise history makes it tough. I agree with your thought in theory, but at the end of the day very few teams are willing to completely bottom out. After all, winning titles isn't everything. Teams need to boast solid records for ticket sales, local tv deals, playoff revenue, and even to spur the local economy (probably not a big deal in Dallas with the Mavs, but certainly a huge deal in smaller markets). Trading Dirk basically ensures they go 20-62 next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I do find it interesting how the Magic has done zero to make Howard want to stay. They just seem to be looking for this star for star, picks and cap help dream trade that is not happening. I am guessing even though Howard wants to leave before the season starts, that the Magic are going to have him play this season with them. If that is the plan, why not go for broke and find out what players he would want to them trade out or bring in. You know, improve the team?????
I agree with you 100%. The problem is, they catered to him too quickly. Now, after so many major deals have been made and they tried to trade Dwight vigorously, they approach him about giving the new coaching staff a chance.

Seriously? They shouldn't have pandered to him in the first place. Right when they replaced Van Gundy and Smith, they should've told Dwight he's their franchise player and they're not going to trade him right now. If he complains, so what? Kobe complained when LA didn't trade him to Chicago, he slept-walked through half the year, then Pau Gasol came over and the rest is history.

Let him mope around a bit. He cares too much about public opinion to completely mail-in games like Vince Carter did, so they'll be relatively competitive. You don't know what might happen during the year: maybe a veteran becomes available, maybe someone gets hurt and the door opens for Orlando; anything is possible. Then, if they suck in February, trade him. That's what they should've done.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 07-13-2012 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6618  
Old 07-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Elton Brand to Dallas via waivers. Now I wonder if they'll still pursue Scola.

Again, smooth move by the Mavs. Trying to not completely suck this year, but still saving cap space for next year to sign a max player and possibly two.

Also bizarre to me is this Houston package for Howard. Basically they want to absorb all of Orlando's crappy contracts and ship out all of their young talent. Why would Howard re-sign with them if he's playing with, essentially, the same guys he wants to leave in Orlando, but in a harder conference? I understand Houston has a history of quality, star big men (Moses, Olajuwon, then Yao) but this is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote
  #6619  
Old 07-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Elton Brand to Dallas via waivers. Now I wonder if they'll still pursue Scola.

Again, smooth move by the Mavs. Trying to not completely suck this year, but still saving cap space for next year to sign a max player and possibly two.

Also bizarre to me is this Houston package for Howard. Basically they want to absorb all of Orlando's crappy contracts and ship out all of their young talent. Why would Howard re-sign with them if he's playing with, essentially, the same guys he wants to leave in Orlando, but in a harder conference? I understand Houston has a history of quality, star big men (Moses, Olajuwon, then Yao) but this is ridiculous.

Maybe Howard goes to Houston and then signs with Orlando and all the nice young talent they got in the trade, because why would he want to sign in Houston (asshole of the USA) where they have no talent anymore. You might as well stay in Orlando and go to free agency.

I don't see why anyone would want go to Dallas. Dallas is a hell of a city, but they are not winning anytime soon. Dirk is already on the downside of his career and it will go down fast. He is not a reason to go to Dallas. No free agents want to go there. If D Will did not go there, why would anyone else? D Will is from there. They should have been smart and signed Chandler, because D minded centers are in short supply.

Last edited by Erroneous; 07-14-2012 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6620  
Old 07-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Maybe Howard goes to Houston and then signs with Orlando and all the nice young talent they got in the trade, because why would he want to sign in Houston (asshole of the USA) where they have no talent anymore. You might as well stay in Orlando and go to free agency.

I don't see why anyone would want go to Dallas. Dallas is a hell of a city, but they are not winning anytime soon. Dirk is already on the downside of his career and it will go down fast. He is not a reason to go to Dallas. No free agents want to go there. If D Will did not go there, why would anyone else? D Will is from there. They should have been smart and signed Chandler, because D minded centers are in short supply.
I agree that they should have signed Chandler, but plenty of free agents will check out Dallas. Cuban treats players well in terms of amenities and there's no income tax -- both of those are huge factors for players. DWill didn't go because he got offered more money. Dallas is not a destination on par with NY or LA, of course, but with the cap room they have they'll attract interest. And again, players are focused on a lot more than winning... Dallas not having title chances only factors in to a small percentage of players' decisions.
Reply With Quote
  #6621  
Old 07-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
I agree that they should have signed Chandler, but plenty of free agents will check out Dallas. Cuban treats players well in terms of amenities and there's no income tax -- both of those are huge factors for players. DWill didn't go because he got offered more money. Dallas is not a destination on par with NY or LA, of course, but with the cap room they have they'll attract interest. And again, players are focused on a lot more than winning... Dallas not having title chances only factors in to a small percentage of players' decisions.
I don't know the exact numbers, but living in NY with their taxes, cost of living and tolls alone should eat up whatever money could not pay him.


I disagree with you on the winning part. I think more players would rather play in a winning situation. I think it factors in their decision a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #6622  
Old 07-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Maybe Howard goes to Houston and then signs with Orlando and all the nice young talent they got in the trade, because why would he want to sign in Houston (asshole of the USA) where they have no talent anymore. You might as well stay in Orlando and go to free agency.

I don't see why anyone would want go to Dallas. Dallas is a hell of a city, but they are not winning anytime soon. Dirk is already on the downside of his career and it will go down fast. He is not a reason to go to Dallas. No free agents want to go there. If D Will did not go there, why would anyone else? D Will is from there. They should have been smart and signed Chandler, because D minded centers are in short supply.
Ten years they searched for a decent center. Found one then let him go. They could have signed him if they werent after D-Will AND Howard.

Even after all this offseason, they still re jsut barely under the cap!
Reply With Quote
  #6623  
Old 07-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post

I disagree with you on the winning part. I think more players would rather play in a winning situation. I think it factors in their decision a lot.
Obviously depends on the player, as we've seen guys leave good situations for money (Joe Johnson leaving Phoenix when they were winning 60 games, for example) but I think generally, you're right. Unless a guy has already won (like James Posey when he left Boston), I think winning is the primary factor. There are other factors (proximity to home, nightlife, etc.) but winning tends to be the biggest factor. Of course, if we're talking about a superstar, perhaps his mindset is "anywhere I go can be a winning situation."

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
Ten years they searched for a decent center. Found one then let him go. They could have signed him if they werent after D-Will AND Howard.

Even after all this offseason, they still re jsut barely under the cap!
yeah, but most of what they did this year comes off the books next year. Brand, Kaman, and Collison are all on the final years of their deals or signed one year contracts. So next off-season, they will be well below the salary cap and should be able to bring in at least one max player. Of course, assuming any one wants to go there.
Reply With Quote
  #6624  
Old 07-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Obviously depends on the player, as we've seen guys leave good situations for money (Joe Johnson leaving Phoenix when they were winning 60 games, for example) but I think generally, you're right. Unless a guy has already won (like James Posey when he left Boston), I think winning is the primary factor. There are other factors (proximity to home, nightlife, etc.) but winning tends to be the biggest factor. Of course, if we're talking about a superstar, perhaps his mindset is "anywhere I go can be a winning situation."
.
Lots of players take less money to win. There are lots of people ine recent years taking the mid level exemption to play for a winner rather than take more money somewhere else. That is how the Heat will get anyone with all their money tied up in 3 players. Same for the Nets, Knicks, Lakers and others.
Reply With Quote
  #6625  
Old 07-14-2012, 04:19 PM
I believe there were talks off Dallas picking up Scola, once he's been amnestied by Houston. That'd be a solid acquisition for them I think.
Reply With Quote
  #6626  
Old 07-14-2012, 11:32 PM
Knicks may lose Jeremy Lin after all because of the creative way Houston structured the offer sheet. In the third year of the contract, his salary jumps from $5 million to $14 million, so the three-year, $25 million that was announced was a bit misleading. If the Knicks match, they'll be well over any projected salary cap in 3 years just from what they'd owe Stoudemire, Anthony, Chandler, and Lin.

I think Lin amazingly ends up in Houston. Houston obviously wants another Asian, as Yao brought the fans out by the thousands and Lin can have a similar appeal. Meanwhile, the Knicks could end up with Raymond Felton.

I also wonder if Lin's presence would make people want to go (or stay) in Houston. He seemed to be extremely popular amongst his teammates in NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
I believe there were talks off Dallas picking up Scola, once he's been amnestied by Houston. That'd be a solid acquisition for them I think.
Agree. Scola is such an underrated player, and people are so focused on his age (only 5 years in the league, but already 32) but that seems pretty dumb when you actually watch him play. He'll be fine as he gets older. He's not injury prone and doesn't rely on the physical skills that will deteriorate with age. I actually wanted the Lakers to trade Gasol for a package built on Scola back in February.

Only issue with Dallas is they just picked Elton Brand off waivers, so Scola might be a bit redundant. Unless they put Brand at the 5 and Scola off the bench.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 07-14-2012 at 11:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6627  
Old 07-15-2012, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Only issue with Dallas is they just picked Elton Brand off waivers, so Scola might be a bit redundant. Unless they put Brand at the 5 and Scola off the bench.
Yeah... I was gonna say put Brand at 4 and Scola at 5.... Then I remembered they have a certain German all-star future HOF'er in Mr. Nowitzki!
Reply With Quote
  #6628  
Old 07-15-2012, 03:50 PM
It's official: Knicks got Felton, and now they most likely let Jeremy Lin go.

The structure of the contract has to be the main reason for that. Houston is going to love Lin. He's a very good player who can only get better if he learns some basic point guard skills (and he's smart enough to learn).

By the way, Stephen A. Smith was ranting on Sportscenter about how, if Lin wanted to stay in NY, he'd have signed a 2-year deal and had enough confidence in his skills to believe he'd get a bigger deal later on.

Seriously, he needs to shut up. He'd never suggest a black player take less money because they're his friends and he sucks up to any black athlete who ever walked the earth. He has a lot of nerve to insult Lin for doing what's best for him and his family.
Reply With Quote
  #6629  
Old 07-15-2012, 04:27 PM
I hear what you're saying about Steven A. there Darth. You've got a very valid point. You know the funny thing is, Houston was the 2nd team that waived Lin before he ended up in NY last year. Now they're realizing their HUGE mistake and wanna make right on that. Can't say I blame 'em in the least, and I also read that the Knicks will NOT be matching Houston's offer/contract for Lin either. I'll be curious to see if he can continue his momentum from this past year before he injured himself.... Or if he'll just be mediocre. Should be interesting to see either way!

Also read that moron Jason Kidd got pulled over for a DUI. Crashed his SUV into some pole or something in NY and had to go to hospital after his arrest for minor injuries. Way to make your debut with a new team there buddy! (fucking idiot) - The Knicks seem to have a fucking curse on them, I swear!
Reply With Quote
  #6630  
Old 07-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
By the way, Stephen A. Smith was ranting on Sportscenter about how, if Lin wanted to stay in NY, he'd have signed a 2-year deal and had enough confidence in his skills to believe he'd get a bigger deal later on.

Seriously, he needs to shut up. He'd never suggest a black player take less money because they're his friends and he sucks up to any black athlete who ever walked the earth. He has a lot of nerve to insult Lin for doing what's best for him and his family.
I can't stand Mr Smith. You are 100% right. I think Lin is over rated for his one good hand and great one month, but you cant fault a guy who taking the most money, esp a guy like Lin who will be one big contract and done.
Reply With Quote
  #6631  
Old 07-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Lin in Houston will certainly help them sell tickets. They were capitalizing on the Asian market with Yao, and now they have the next best thing.

I like Lin a lot. Yeah, his left hand is nonexistent at this point, defensively he's below average (probably being generous), and he's turnover rprone. But I like his heart, his hesitation dribble makes up for any lack of natural speed on the offensive end, and he clearly has an infectious personality that teammates love. I think he's going to develop into a very good player. He'll never be an elite point guard, but the guy will be a solid player.

Does this help persuade Dwight to sign an extension in Houston? Probably not, as I don't think Lin is good enough to turn Houston into contenders if Houston guts the entire team in a Howard deal. But even without Dwight, Lin will sell tickets in Houston and at the least will serve as an adequate replacement for Kyle Lowry
Reply With Quote
  #6632  
Old 07-16-2012, 12:07 AM
I think teams like the Heat will get to Lin and make him look like a college player whp belongs back in the D league. This is going to be a train wreck for Houston. LIn will be exposed and Howard will not......no.
Reply With Quote
  #6633  
Old 07-16-2012, 04:40 PM
So apparently Luis Scola has somehow ended up in Phoenix with the Suns. How crazy is that? Dallas was gonna get him, and then Phx ends up snatching him instead. Pretty wild.
Reply With Quote
  #6634  
Old 07-17-2012, 12:20 AM
So the Mavs signed OJ Mayo to a multi-year deal. Not entirely sure if they'll still be able to afford a max contract guy next year, but I think they will. Once all the deals are official, it'll be easier to tell.

I always thought Mayo was a solid complementary player. Solid scorer, absolute pitbull defensively, and definitely plays with intensity. I don't know enough about Memphis, but it's weird how much his numbers dropped off these last 2 years:

First 2 years - 18 ppg, 44.8% field goals, 38% from three, 38 minutes per game
Last 2 years - 12 ppg, 40.8 % field goals, 36% from three, 26.5 minutes per game

I'm not sure if he just got in Hollins' doghouse, was upset because of how many times he was mentioned in trade talks, couldn't adjust to coming off the bench (Tony Allen is a better complement to the rest of the starters because he's one of the 3 best perimeter defenders in the league) or if he legitimately regressed as a player. That said, I love his game and think he'll be a great addition to the Mavs, who just looked outclassed by the Thunder's athleticism in the playoffs.
Reply With Quote
  #6635  
Old 07-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Grant Hill to the Clippers. Interesting, I thought he would've gone to the Lakers or Heat.

Looks like the Lakers are going to get Jamison though.
Reply With Quote
  #6636  
Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Bourne, is the Hill to the Clips thing official? I hear he was in talks with them, Lakers and Heat....
Reply With Quote
  #6637  
Old 07-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Bourne, is the Hill to the Clips thing official? I hear he was in talks with them, Lakers and Heat....
Yep, it's official.
Reply With Quote
  #6638  
Old 07-17-2012, 04:38 PM
I still say Howard will end up on the Nets. Small moves like signing Hump makes it easy to get the deal done. I still say it is the best deal Orlando will get. May Brook Lopez and Humphries go out and have great seasons!!!!

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...eal-look-south

Quote:
Looking for a reason why Kris Humphries is getting $12 million a year? Just look at the cap math from the Brooklyn Nets’ perspective ... and then turn your gaze toward Florida.

If they’re thinking about trading for Dwight Howard after Jan. 15, when Brook Lopez is trade eligible -- and most certainly, they are -- then signing Humphries to a short contract of this size makes all kinds of sense.

The reason is that it allows the Nets to take back much bigger contracts from Orlando in a trade. Paying Humphries $12 million means that the combination of Humphries, Tyshawn Taylor and Reggie Evans can be used to take back $18.6 million in contracts from Orlando -- which conveniently, is exactly enough to swallow the contracts of Orlando veterans Glen Davis, Jason Richardson, Chris Duhon and Quentin Richardson and clean the Magic’s books going forward.

Do that, then put Lopez and MarShon Brooks in a deal for Howard (again, just clearing enough salary from the New Jersey end to take back his salary from Orlando), throw in all the same draft picks New Jersey would give in the original deal, and the trade still works. In fact, it works better, since the Nets can swallow a bit more salary in this one than in the deal mooted over the summer.

As for the fine print, Brooks almost certainly would be routed to a third team for another draft pick for Orlando, but the trade would be cap-legal regardless. Routing Humphries to a third team would prove more problematic, but again it would be cap-legal if it happened as long as all the goodies went back to the Magic. After all this, the Magic would have a signed frontcourt of Humphries and Lopez and, if they cut Hedo Turkoglu, have max cap space in 2013.

Are there hang-ups to this strategy? Of course. First and most obviously, Howard may not be with the Magic in January. Second, even if he is, much depends on how well Lopez plays at the start of the season -- the Magic are unlikely to be tempted unless he’s racking up 20-and-10s. And unless he wants to end up on a bad team, it’s not clear to me how much incentive he has to play well.

But it’s worth a shot, and Brooklyn has shown that the money is a secondary concern. They’d have a $90 million payroll after doing a deal like the one above, but they’d be a marketing powerhouse in their first year in Brooklyn -- an investment that would likely pay itself back several times over. In the context of that, overpaying Humphries a few million seems like chump change.
Reply With Quote
  #6639  
Old 07-17-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm glad the Lakers didn't get Hill. He's too old and doesn't help our biggest weakness: perimeter athleticism.

Apparently, the Lakers are talking to Orlando today about a Howard trade, which would throw a wrench into the Nets' big plans. It seems the only hang up (still) is Howard's reluctance to sign an extension. I don't see him changing his mind about it, as he might just screw around in Orlando until January 15 and force his way to NJ.
Reply With Quote
  #6640  
Old 07-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Yep, it's official.
Solid pick up for the Clippers. Phoenix is hurting badly after losing both Nash & Hill and only acquiring Scola and Dragic!

Though I know Eric Gordon's offer by Phx was matched by the Hornets, so he'll probably be back in NO at the beginning of season.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump