Old 06-12-2014, 11:06 PM
2014 World Cup

Anybody have any thoughts on this year's World Cup in Brazil?! There has been a lot of anticipation heading into this tournament and now that it has started I wanna talk about it!

Leading up a lot of talk has been about the players who won't be there through injury or otherwise...Donovan, Falcao, Ribery, Nasri, Reus, Montolivo, Rossi, Tevez, Van Der Vaart, Cole.

Brazil are considered the favorites being at home and coming off their success at last year's Confederations Cup but Argentina and Spain are considered strong contenders too. No European nation has won a WC held in the Americas, will that change this year? What are every one's thoughts?

Brazil won today 3-1 over Croatia in the opener. The Croats deserved better than that scoreline and a better goalkeeper...make a save Pletikosa!...Brazil were pretty sluggish and lucky(terrible penalty call). Neymar the star with 2 goals and Oscar with one...Brazil's best player on the day!

I'll have thoughts on every game!
Old 06-13-2014, 09:28 AM
Brazil overcame a somewhat scary beginning and pretty much dominated possession after the equalizer. The penalty kick was a bad call but it felt like Brazil's game even at that point. Neymar's two goals were impressive but nothing to hang your country's hopes on, considering how weak that goalkeeper was.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Mexico 1-0 Cameroon

Tough conditions in a rainstorm throughout but Mexico were clearly the better side...were denied at least 1 goal, probably 2 by bad offside calls but definitely deserved the 3 points. Solid start for El Tri!

Spain 1-5 Netherlands

Wow! What a stunning result and game this was! Seemed like a repeat of last year's final for the first 40 minutes...Spain dominant, Netherlands biting and kicking at their heels but Van Persie's fabulous header just before the break changed the game. The Dutch were fantastic in the 2nd half with Robben and Van Persie brilliant on the counter...mistakes by Casillas didn't help either. Spain quit those last 15 minutes...shocking!

Chile 3-1 Australia

Great opening 14 minutes by Chile scoring two quick goals...Australia fought back through a trademark Cahill header...and the first half of the 2nd half it looked like the Socceroos might get an equalizer through Bresciano or Cahill. Beasejour's nice strike finished off a great result for the South American side!

Fun day 2!
Old 06-14-2014, 02:52 AM
Van Persie was brilliant today. The header into goal was one of the most beautiful goals I've ever seen.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:01 AM
Colombia 3-0 Greece

Great start today for the South American side, with a solid performance against a pretty lackluster Greek side. J. Rod, Cuadrado and Ibarbo strong and creative in midfield...Greece had a slight chance to get back in it, but never really threatened.

Uruguay 1-3 Costa Rica

Another fantastic upset after yesterday's stunner! Uruguay were in control in the 1st half, but it all fell apart in the 2nd. Campbell was terrific and you have to admire Costa Rica's spirit and the way they defended overall. Fantastic finish by Urena for their 3rd goal was the highlight.

England 1-2 Italy

A clean well played game and a hard fought win by frankly a better, more experienced Italian side...having said that I thought England played pretty well and probably deserved a point. Just a bit unlucky in their finishing and a good performance by Sirigu kept that from happening. Looked good going forward but Baines and Rooney playing out of position is a problem down that left side.

Ivory Coast 1-2 Japan

A great strike by Honda gave Japan a deserved lead in the first half, but the bringing in of Drogba inspired the Elephants to the win in the 2nd. Japan just didn't have an answer really in that 2nd period, but again a good hard fought game.

Day 3 was another good one and so far this year's tournament is leap and bounds better than 4 years ago...hope this keeps up!
Old 06-15-2014, 02:28 PM
England showed promise with their offensive prowess, but England's defense is the weak link here and Italy probably should've scored more than they did. Rooney did well for himself getting that assist but that's probably all he can salvage now from a typical World Cup letdown.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:55 PM
Switzerland 2-1 Ecuador

A very even and interesting game punctuated with a great finish. Ecuador were bright early and deserved the lead midway through the first half. Switzerland bounced back after going down and the game looked like it would end in a fair draw...back and forth in the last minutes and the Swiss capitalized on the counter at the death!

France 3-0 Honduras

France were always gonna control the ball and the tempo off this game, but it really was over after Palacios picked up a second yellow already being 1-0 down. Benzema looked good and lively, still I think France can get better.

Argentina 2-1 Bosnia-Herzegovina

Another well played contest. An early own goal gave Argentina a comfortable lead but B-H bounced back and gave them a battle throughout. Some subs at halftime for the Argies helped open up their offense and the brilliance of Messi basically saw the game off before a late consolation goal for Bosnia.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:41 PM
This has been an absolutely fantastic World Cup so far, without a doubt the best of my lifetime. Lets hope the rest of the tournament is as great as these opening games.

England's performance on Saturday was great. Despite the loss I preferred watching it to any of the horrendous games in our 2010 campaign.

USA Ghana rematch coming soon, can't wait. More thoughts once all teams have played
Old 06-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Germany 4-0 Portugal

Another heavyweight clash between European powers goes to the efficient Germans who take down Ronaldo+10...wait make that 9 after Pepe's idiotic head butt. Muller with the tourney's first hat trick and a lot of work to do for a now undermanned Portugal side.

Iran 0-0 Nigeria

Well they can't all be winners! The first draw of the tourney also was the worst game so far. Nigeria dominated possession but were awful in the final third and failed to breakthrough a resolute Iran team. Gotta give them credit for the way they defended and to be honest the best chances of the game fell to them.

Ghana 1-2 United States

Can you score too early? Not for Dempsey and the U.S. who blazed out with a terrific goal in the 1st minute. Then they seemed to get beaten and battered for the next 80 minutes losing guys to injury, most notably Altidore with a hamstring strain and holding of the Africans while at it. Great final 10 minutes as Ghana finally broke through...but substitute John Brooks nets a game winning header to cap a fantastic game.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:12 AM
Belgium 2-1 Algeria

Everybody's favorite dark horse Belgium got off to a pretty slow start against a strong defensive effort by Algeria who took the lead after pretty much their only attack of the game. Belgium's depth and talent won out though...that's the Fellaini that Man Utd. fans were waiting to see all season, nice finish by mertens too.

Brazil 0-0 Mexico

The difference between this game and yesterday's dud were the great chances created by both teams in an exciting and tense hard fought draw. Mexico's goalkeeper Ochoa with a star making performance as he held off Neymar and co. to get El Tri a well deserved point.

Russia 1-1 South Korea

The World Cup of comebacks could not be completed by Russia, but the World Cup of substitutes continues as both scorers came off the bench to tally for either side...Lee's goal with a little bit of help from a howler by Russian goalie Akinfeev. Some good chance fell to South Korean star man Son and I'd say they probably deserved better than just the one point.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Australia vs Holland was one of the most intriguing matches thus far.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:15 AM
Australia 2-3 Netherlands

An absolutely fantastic game of football. Gotta love the spirit of Australia and the socceroos who gave the Dutch all they could handle...and were the better team for 60 minutes. Tim Cahill with the goal of the tourney so far, sad he picked up a 2nd yellow and will miss their final game...and probably his final game in an Aussie shirt. Robben and Van Persie look strong for the Dutch, how far can this team go?

Spain 0-2 Chile

The King is dead! The end of an era with the early exit of Spain...the most dominant team in world football the last 6-7 years. A shocking display by one of the favorites...something went horribly wrong with this team and it went bad quickly! On the other hand...a great team display by Chile through 2 games with some fantastic individual talents...they are going to be a tough out in the knockout stages...and could face Brazil in the Round of 16!

Cameroon 0-4 Croatia

Apart from Ivory Coast this has not been a good WC for the African teams. Cameroon looked good early in this game and went down 1-0 against the run of play then it all fell apart after Song's red card...wtf was that?! Croatia got back their star man Mandzukic who scored 2 goals. That Croatia-Mexico game is gonna be a must watch to see who goes through in group A.

Last edited by Puck Bond; 06-19-2014 at 01:18 AM..
Old 06-20-2014, 01:31 AM
Colombia 2-1 Ivory Coast

Another terrific performance by the South American side...much like Chile this team is loaded with talent and can go far in this tournament...just think the absence of Falcao will de their undoing eventually. James Rodriguez staking his name as a star in this World Cup. Great 2nd half this game with Colombia going up 2-0 and Ivory Coast once again brought in Drogba to turn the tide. Came close after Gervinho's great effort...good game.

Uruguay 2-1 England

Ugggh I'm just too sick at the moment to even talk about it(but I'll try). God I hate that man Luis Suarez, but he's one of the world's best and he proved it again today. Got to say as much as the English media and fans have been clamoring for this bright new attacking style with all these young players and all that...it has been their undoing. The old English teams of World Cups past who played insipid football at times at least got results and got out of the group stage. That has to be your #1 goal in the first couple of games and they've blown that...the agony of actually being out has just been delayed for 24 hours. Feel bad for Rooney...got his goal which was great but could have had a hat trick (and will probably get all the blame, though he doesn't deserve it) It was a mistake to leave John terry and Ashley Cole at home and Joe Hart what the hell are you doing mate?!!?!!?

Japan 0-0 Greece

Not a great game. Greece did what they do best and defended well having 9 men behind the ball at all times...and did very well to get a point after going down to 10 men. Japan had their chances but their finishing was pretty poor. Still like Ivory Coast to go through with Colombia in this group.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Bond View Post
Uruguay 2-1 England

Ugggh I'm just too sick at the moment to even talk about it(but I'll try). God I hate that man Luis Suarez, but he's one of the world's best and he proved it again today. Got to say as much as the English media and fans have been clamoring for this bright new attacking style with all these young players and all that...it has been their undoing. The old English teams of World Cups past who played insipid football at times at least got results and got out of the group stage. That has to be your #1 goal in the first couple of games and they've blown that...the agony of actually being out has just been delayed for 24 hours. Feel bad for Rooney...got his goal which was great but could have had a hat trick (and will probably get all the blame, though he doesn't deserve it) It was a mistake to leave John terry and Ashley Cole at home and Joe Hart what the hell are you doing mate?!!?!!?
Agreed that Rooney doesn't deserve the blame for this. As much as he was missing, he was trying his ass off and providing a glimmer of hope to one of the worst England sides in a long time. And it's not like they aren't elite players, either, but after watching them play...well, I wish USA had to play them instead of Germany/Portugal, because I think we could take England.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:29 PM
Gotta disagree with you guys on England. The so called 'Golden Generation' of England players may have gotten us out of the group stages of the last 2 world cups but the competition was a heck of a lot easier. The younger England team that lost to Italy and Uruguay (two sides that all England fans admitted we could lose to once the groups were announced) lost yes but at least I watched them lose to a better team rather than watching them struggle to get a point against Algeria for example (God that match was painful). As I said, the team has still played better football than any of the 4 games at the last tournament.

I want Hodgson to stay in as manager until the next tournament and actually keep working on that young team, forget these 'England Legends' who only are only given that tag for their club performances not because of any glory they give the national team, or have I missed something?

Rant over. What a shame I missed today's games. Only managed to catch the 2nd half of Honduras v Ecuador and enjoyed it a lot. Haven't seen the highlights yet but it looks like France are real contenders now, and I love how well the South American teams are doing, Columbia and Costa Rica at their first 2nd round for years, with Ivory Coast on their way to their first ever. Keep it coming!

Last edited by Natty; 06-20-2014 at 07:31 PM..
Old 06-20-2014, 08:08 PM
France gangraped Swiss cheese
Old 06-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Italy 0-1 Costa Rica

Italy were absolutely awful today...basically sleptwalk through this game. How they beat England I still don't know tbh. Anyway gotta admire the effort by Costa Rica, completely neutralized Pirlo and company in midfield and their offside trap was working great all day. Glad they got rewarded with a nice goal by Ruiz after that horrible non-penalty call.

Switzerland 2-5 France

France were absolutely flying today with a potent counter-attack against a sloppy performance by the Swiss. France looks good so far, Benzema has looked great in 2 games and hell even Giroud looked good today. Giving up a couple late goals to Switzerland might raise an alarm or two in the French defense but they were great today.

Honduras 1-2 Ecuador

What started out as a pretty sloppy game for the first 30 minutes turned into a pretty entertaining game. Both sides exchanged goals late in the half...nice finish by Costly. Then the quality of Ecuador eventually won out as E. Valencia bagged his second of the game and third of the tournament.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
Gotta disagree with you guys on England. The so called 'Golden Generation' of England players may have gotten us out of the group stages of the last 2 world cups but the competition was a heck of a lot easier. The younger England team that lost to Italy and Uruguay (two sides that all England fans admitted we could lose to once the groups were announced) lost yes but at least I watched them lose to a better team rather than watching them struggle to get a point against Algeria for example (God that match was painful). As I said, the team has still played better football than any of the 4 games at the last tournament.

I want Hodgson to stay in as manager until the next tournament and actually keep working on that young team, forget these 'England Legends' who only are only given that tag for their club performances not because of any glory they give the national team, or have I missed something?

Rant over. What a shame I missed today's games. Only managed to catch the 2nd half of Honduras v Ecuador and enjoyed it a lot. Haven't seen the highlights yet but it looks like France are real contenders now, and I love how well the South American teams are doing, Columbia and Costa Rica at their first 2nd round for years, with Ivory Coast on their way to their first ever. Keep it coming!
Where USA overachieves with limited talented, England tends to underachieve with fine talent. Not to be insulting, because I spent a great deal of time in England as a kid, but that squad just hasn't been strong for a long time. They look like frightened children whenever they're down in a game and seem dependent on strikers who are just as human as the rest of us. I agree that they were placed in a rough group but Costa Rica has dominated both of those teams. Are they suddenly an elite squad, or do they find success where a fragile squad has been unable to cope?

Not to be unfair, because I think these ARE elite players. That doesn't necessarily mean they work well together. Gerrard's record speaks for itself, as does Rooney's; and it wouldn't surprise me to see Sterling develop into a world-level striker. They are still underachievers though at the World Cup level, and that has been the case for England probably since the days of Gazza and Lineker.

Last edited by Brando @$$ Fat; 06-21-2014 at 01:29 AM..
Old 06-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
Where USA overachieves with limited talented, England tends to underachieve with fine talent. Not to be insulting, because I spent a great deal of time in England as a kid, but that squad just hasn't been strong for a long time. They look like frightened children whenever they're down in a game and seem dependent on strikers who are just as human as the rest of us. I agree that they were placed in a rough group but Costa Rica has dominated both of those teams. Are they suddenly an elite squad, or do they find success where a fragile squad has been unable to cope?

Not to be unfair, because I think these ARE elite players. That doesn't necessarily mean they work well together. Gerrard's record speaks for itself, as does Rooney's; and it wouldn't surprise me to see Sterling develop into a world-level striker. They are still underachievers though at the World Cup level, and that has been the case for England probably since the days of Gazza and Lineker.
Oh I agree with this. I was just contesting the point that this is the worst England side in a while, and I'm good with Hodgson being in charge of the squad because I think it was players like Sterling and Sturridge who weren't really looking like scared children. Gerrard and Rooney still have a lot to offer the England team but gone are the days when they should automatically be in the starting 11 just because of who they are.

Good 0-0 going on right now huh...
Old 06-22-2014, 12:04 AM
Argentina 1-0 Iran

What an unbelievable effort by Iran today to defend and play like that against one of the tournament favorites in Argentina...only to be outdone by the majesterial Messi in stoppage time. Dejagah was fantastic for Iran especially in the 2nd half where it looked like they were more likely to score than Argentina. In a World Cup of amazing results and upsets...had they held on or even won it, that would have been top of the list!

Germany 2-2 Ghana

What a great game this was too! Even though it was scoreless at the half it was back and forth with both sides having good chances. Ghana obviously playing for their WC lives and their pace and power gave Germany all they could handle. The 2nd half was even better and probably the best 45 minutes of the tournament so far...great goals by Ghana especially Gyan's and then capped off of course by Klose coming off the bench to tie Ronaldo's all time goal scoring record...too bad he couldn't stick the landing on the front flip! lol

Nigeria 1-0 Bosnia-Herzegovina

A much better showing by Nigeria in this game than in their opener where they were quite putrid against Iran. You have to feel bad for Bosnia though...a lovely goal finished by Dzeko ruled out wrongly for offside and then Nigeria striking quickly after that after what could have been called a foul on Emenike before he set up Odemwingie...and just like that Bosnia are out.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:11 PM
Fuckin' beautiful save from Portugal at the end. The second most intriguing match of the tourney, IMO.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Belgium 1-0 Russia

A hard fought win for Belgium, who still have not fully impressed through 2 games, but they still manage to top group H. Russia gave them a good test and probably should have been in front at the half through Kokorin's header. Star man Hazard had a rough game until those last 5 minutes where he set up the winner for Origi.

South Korea 2-4 Algeria

Who knew Algeria had 4 goals in them?! They were absolutely flying early and throughout that first half and thoroughly deserved the 3 goal lead. South Korea made a nice comeback, but Algeria's 4th goal(which was a beautiful move) killed the game off essentially. A 6 goal thriller!

United States 2-2 Portugal

Ohhhhhh so close for the U.S. Went down early after a mistake by Cameron that was punished by Nani, but then the U.S. fought back and played wonderful football from then on. A 2nd half wonder strike from Jones was a thing of beauty. The U.S. continued to abuse Portugal's left flank and finally went ahead through Dempsey. But Ronaldo of course with one true moment of brilliance delivers a perfect cross for Varela to equalize at the death. What a game and finish in the Manaus heat and humidity!
Old 06-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Incredible game but heartbreaking. Two baffling errors led to two Portugal goals and that's really the sum of it. Overall this has been a good year for Team USA but that terrible mistake could very well cost us the group stage. Hopefully Bradley can step up against Germany because we'll need a strong midfield for that one.

Not surprising that Ghana could end up being the team that screws us up again, even if they're not playing us.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:10 PM
Netherlands 2-0 Chile

Pretty even game to see who would top Group B. The Dutch were happy to concede possession in that first half and try and break on the counter without star forward Van Persie. In the 2nd half they saw a lot more of the ball as Chile really seem to run out of ideas in the final third. Robben for me has been the player of the tournament so far...looking so dangerous running at defenses and shredding opponents with his left foot.

Australia 0-3 Spain

A sad end to an era as pride was the only thing on the line today. The 3-0 score line certainly flattered the Spanish side who still looked a shell of their former selves. Tough break for Australia this World Cup drawn in a hard group and without their star man Cahill today still can hold their head up high.

Croatia 1-3 Mexico

Congrats to El Tri who were great today after sustaining early pressure from Croatia, who threatened early. It seemed like after the half the Mexicans decided to go for the win and not settle for the draw. 3 goals in 10 minutes lit up the crowd before Croatia got a late consolation goal.

Cameroon 1-4 Brazil

The host's best performance of the group stage as they clearly came to play today and delight the pro-home crowd in the capital Brasilia. Neymar with the early brace seem to give Brazil confidence to play stylish and flowing football. Cameroon didn't embarrass themselves like they did the other day, but they were still outclassed by the Brazilians and this entire group.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:03 PM
Incredible save by Greece, last minute shit
Old 06-25-2014, 12:48 AM
Italy 0-1 Uruguay

Yeah nothing to talk about here...lol! Suarez?! Really?! Again?! What was a pretty dull affair for the first hour turns into one of the most talked about games at this year's World Cup. Marchisio red card was pretty harsh but you've seen 'em given. Uruguay took control with the man advantage, but then Luis Suarez does it again...bites Chiellini, doesn't get punished and then Godin(who should have been suspended for this game himself) nods in the winner. You have to just laugh at some of the Uruguains excuses after the match especially Suarez, Tabares and Lugano...are you people kidding me?! He deserves a 1 year ban at least if not 2. If he plays again in this tournament FIFA are a joke!

Costa Rica 0-0 England

Hey at least we got a point...Shaw looked good, had chances but what a disappointing World Cup for England. Future could be bright, but the mentality of this team has got to change. Well done Costa Rica for winning the group...nobody predicted that.

Japan 1-4 Colombia

Colombia are the real deal and will go far in this tourney. Great on the counter attack against a disappointing Japan team it has to be said for this tournament. James Rodriguez has been absolutely brilliant so far and I'm amending my statement yesterday about Robben as man of the tourney...so far it's "James"!

Greece 2-1 Ivory Coast

Somehow Greece find a way! Barely scoring 2 goals in 3 games and they squeak it out with the help of a fair penalty call. As for the Ivory Coast, it's another disappointing tournament for them. A team loaded with talent and they fail again. They can't blame it on a group of death this time as this group was wide open and they failed to deliver.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:26 PM
TOMORROW IS GOING TO BE CRAZY.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:14 AM
Nigeria 2-3 Argentina

Good game between these two as the Messi show continues. Great free kick for his second. Still one has to question Argentina's defense and the fact that they conceded so quickly after scoring. Two great goals by Musa as well...and well done Nigeria for making it through, because I didn't see much hope for them after their performance against Iran.

Bosnia-Herzegovina 3-1 Iran

Iran had to try and get something from this game so they couldn't just sit back and defend like they did against Argentina. In the end the quality of Bosnia showed through with the likes of Dzeko Pjanic. Good on Iran though for scoring a goal and giving a fine account of themselves at this World Cup.

Ecuador 0-0 France

A pretty dull affair to be honest. Ecuador had to win this game today and just couldn't pull through. The job was made much harder after going down to 10 men. The only South American side not to make it to the knockout stages. I guess playing at sea level just isn't their thing!

Honduras 0-3 Switzerland

Fantastic to see the Swiss playing a fluid skillful, counter-attacking style at this World Cup...a cry from their defensive approach of years past. Great hat-trick by Shaqiri today. His first goal was one of the best of the tournament so far. Sadly Honduras not part of the CONCACAF success story. They just lack that one true playmaker in midfield, who can make a difference in big games like these.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:40 AM
United States 0-1 Germany

Tough going in a rain-soaked Recife as Germany dominated possession and put a lot of pressure on the U.S., who defended resolutely. Good goal by Muller following a big rebound given' up by Howard. Fantastic that the U.S. got through the group of death, they deserved it and who knows what could happen from here.

Portugal 2-1 Ghana

This was a weird game to watch. Portugal seemed to be just playing out the string, they knew their World Cup was over after that drubbing at the hands of Germany. Ghana played some good football this WC, but they just fell apart off the field...sent two players home before this game. Still gotta send thanks to Ronaldo for that game winner if you're the U.S.

Belgium 1-0 South Korea

Belgium really breezed through this group, without ever truly impressing in any of their games, but this team has has still got a lot of talented players and could be dangerous going forward. A bad World Cup for South Korea, who couldn't even break through today after Defour got sent off in the 1st half.

Algeria 1-1 Russia

As remarkable as the U.S. qualifying to the knockout stages was today, the story of Algeria getting through was just as good. Fantastic performance against South Korea was matched by their effort today...good for them. Russia on the other hand are another team that were a disappointment and will probably hurt a lot with them being the hosts in four years.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Two very entertaining matches today. Brazil vs. Chile was intense until the very last second and I feel that the Chilean team can certainly go home proud of their accomplishments...they put up a great fight.

That being said, Brazil better be prepared for Colombia next Friday. As a Colombian myself, I couldn't have been more proud of my team today as they absolutely dominated against Uruguay. Falcao's absence is not a concern at all anymore, as it has actually helped bring forth another amazing, world-class player much deserved global attention: James Rodriguez, who as of now holds the most goals out of any other player in the World Cup so far (5). But even with that, this is a team of great depth and one that absolutely knows how to work as a team. Vamonos, Cafeteros!
Old 06-28-2014, 11:26 PM
Round of 16

Brazil 1(3)-1(2) Chile

What a great start today to the knockout round with a tense and dramatic game between hosts Brazil and the commendable Chile. Not great football at times, a lot of fouls in this game and Neymar running down the left channel unable to connect with his left foot. Got the lead they deserved in that first half only to have Hulk make a mistake that lead to Sanchez' goal. Then he was Brazil's best player from then on. Chile to their credit were the better team in the 2nd half until those last 10 minutes when they were like we better win this one. Then in extra time...ooh Pinilla so close at the end with that shot off the bar. To penalty kicks it went and Julio Cesar became the hero. Great suspense, great drama, great game.

Colombia 2-0 Uruguay

Colombia have been the most consistently impressive team throughout this tournament so far and they proved it again today. A pretty uneventful game for the first half hour until man of the moment James Rodriguez lit up the match with one of the goals of the tournament. Right up there with Cahill's volley! Uruguay lacked "bite" up front without Suarez and Forlan proved he is a shell of his former self. Rodriguez with a 2nd basically killed Uruguay and the game off. The better team deserved the win and will give Brazil all it wants in the Quarterfinals.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:01 AM
Netherlands 2-1 Mexico

Another great game played in the scorching heat of Fortaleza, saw the conditions really slow down the Dutch for that first half. You have to say Mexico had the better of the play and deserved to take the lead right after half time with a terrific goal by Dos Santos. Then they sat back and invited the Dutch pressure and it was ultimately their undoing. Power shot by Sneijder and a last gasp penalty earned by who else by "divey flapper" Arjen Robben! Heartbreak for the Mexicans...you gotta feel for them!

Costa Rica 1(5)-1(3) Greece

The Cinderella story of this World Cup continues as Costa Rica advances after a not so great game of football. As hard as Sneijder's shot today was, you could say Ruiz' goal was hit just as soft as he passed it into the net and everyone just stood and watched! Then with a man down for over an hour you expected Greece to tie the game(which they did) and then go on and win it(which they didn't) in extra time. Then came the penalty shootout...a lot better conversions than yesterday save for just one.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:44 PM
France 2-0 Nigeria

Very even game for the first half hour with neither team stamping their claim on the game. Both teams had a few chances as they went back and forth. It wasn't until France brought on Griezmann for Giroud that they really took over the game for a spell of 10-15 minutes, which saw them take the lead through Pogba's header and a stoppage time own goal to wrap it up.

Germany 2-1(ET) Algeria

A valiant performance by Algeria who held off a very sluggish Germany for 90 minutes until extra time came along. Second half sub Schurrle seemed to make a difference with his pace and willingness to make runs. He started the extra period right for Germany...a couple of late goals exchanged between two very tired teams made for a good finish to a very tight and tense game.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:00 AM
Good luck for today schmoes!

Despite the fact that the goal rate hasn't been as high I've been very pleased with the knockout stages so far. Some very close matches, exciting last minute goals, etc. Let's hope it continues. WHAT A DAY Friday is going to be! France play Germany in their first competitive game since the 80s and the host nation vs the most consistently good team of the tournament so far.

As for last night, I wasn't actually rooting for Algeria like everyone else I know, but boy was the prospect of them winning a good one. Germany will hopefully get it together for France (and vice-versa).
Old 07-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Anybody have any thoughts on this year's World Cup in Brazil?! There has been a lot of anticipation heading into this tournament and now that it has started I wanna talk about it!

Leading up a lot of talk has been about the players who won't be there through injury or otherwise...Donovan, Falcao, Ribery, Nasri, Reus, Montolivo, Rossi, Tevez, Van Der Vaart, Cole.

Brazil are considered the favorites being at home and coming off their success at last year's Confederations Cup but Argentina and Spain are considered strong contenders too. No European nation has won a WC held in the Americas, will that change this year? What are every one's thoughts?

Brazil won today 3-1 over Croatia in the opener. The Croats deserved better than that scoreline and a better goalkeeper...make a save Pletikosa!...Brazil were pretty sluggish and lucky(terrible penalty call). Neymar the star with 2 goals and Oscar with one...Brazil's best player on the day!

I'll have thoughts on every game!
I think that Brazil might take it all, what do you think!?
Old 07-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Disappointment. I won't say getting out of Group Stage wasn't a great feat but it went all downhill after the Ghana game for Team USA. Going 1-1-1 in a good group might be an improvement but they showed little to suggest a full push in the right direction. I hate to think what will happen to USA when a lesser goalkeeper comes in for the aging Tim Howard.

So yeah, I love the sport and appreciate the moments from Team USA, but let's not delude ourselves into thinking that this was some sort of exceptional team. Nice to watch the rest of the Cup as an objective observer and then back to good old club play.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:46 PM
What a game. Tim Howard pulled a Barthez throughout most of it.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:24 AM
Argentina 1-0(ET) Switzerland

Another close and tense game with yet another favorite finding it hard to break through until the very end. Gotta give credit to Switzerland for the way they defended for 115+ minutes until Messi got the ball, found a little space, skipped by a defender and fed Di Maria for the winner! Even after than the Swiss came oh so close by hitting the post before the very end.

Belgium 2-1(ET) United States

What a finish to a great round of 16! Belgium are just the better side right now with better and more seasoned players. An unbelievable performance by Tim Howard to keep USA in the game as long as he did, but Lukaku coming on in extra time changed the game. Linked up well with De Bruyne, who was great all game for Belgium. Hello Julian Green! Wow...you can't write an entrance like that, at least it made the last 10 minutes interesting. Good run for Klinsmann and co., but a long way to go I think for the USMNT to be a World football power.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Quote:

Belgium 2-1(ET) United States

What a finish to a great round of 16! Belgium are just the better side right now with better and more seasoned players. An unbelievable performance by Tim Howard to keep USA in the game as long as he did, but Lukaku coming on in extra time changed the game. Linked up well with De Bruyne, who was great all game for Belgium. Hello Julian Green! Wow...you can't write an entrance like that, at least it made the last 10 minutes interesting. Good run for Klinsmann and co., but a long way to go I think for the USMNT to be a World football power.
Read some comments last night of people saying Klinsmann should've had younger players in the game earlier, like Green. That would've made a difference for them. But good things for US football. It's becoming hotter which is good.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Read some comments last night of people saying Klinsmann should've had younger players in the game earlier, like Green. That would've made a difference for them. But good things for US football. It's becoming hotter which is good.
It might've helped to have some younger strikers. Perhaps Bradley would've played better if he'd had some younger legs to feed the ball to.

The World Cup seems to get a little bigger each time, which is a good sign, but I don't think we've seen any major improvement in Team USA. I think MLS has to grow considerably more. Right now, it's a middle-class sport in America in terms of who's watching.