Old 03-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Wood's been an injury with a pitcher attached since he turned pro. I'd feel sorry for Prior but I'm too busy laughing at Karma kicking his ass for his gawking into Marcus Giles and costing him his All Star appearance a couple of years ago.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jackson13
The Cubs literally ARE cursed.

Wood wont be ready for the season opener.

Mark Prior's shoulder is bothering him, and he may not be ready for the season opener.

Derrek Lee injured his shoulder in a USA game the other day and he could be out a few games. He should be healed in time for the season opener, but right now its iffy.

2 of their best pitchers and their best hitter out for the start of the season? What a way to start the year off.
yeah they are fucked

they always were, hello...BARTMAN
Old 03-20-2006, 04:16 PM
great trade by Boston, Willy Mo Pena can hit the ball a long ways, and Arroyo is garbage
Old 03-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Agreed, Boston made out on this one.

Pretty backhanded of them, though...Arroyo loves Boston and took a pay cut in the offseason to re-sign. Now he's in the NL Central's basement. If I was him, I'd be pissed.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:17 PM
The Reds had to get rid of an outfielder as they were crowded with Griffey, Dunn, Kearns, And Mo Pena. Obviously no-one would take Griffey as he's a constant injury risk who's old and has a large salary, so they took the next best idea.

Boston made a great deal to get a guy who's only 24 and has enormous potential to be quite good. Arroyo will do average in a hard pitchers park, because it's the NL.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by brodeurnumber1
Obviously no-one would take Griffey as he's a constant injury risk who's old and has a large salary, so they took the next best idea.
Hopefully this is the year he plays 140 games.

There's no other player worth cheering more than Griffey and things would be a whole lot better if it were he who was chasing Aaron.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Man, it turns out that the Leafs wasted all of that money this offseason. Look at that spring training record and it looks like Burnett might not even play.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by leafboy
Man, it turns out that the Leafs wasted all of that money this offseason. Look at that spring training record and it looks like Burnett might not even play.
first off its the jays

second off its spring training, and every game means NOTHINg since most of the games consist of players getting ready for the year, and minor leagues

third off burnett will be fine, they just had concerns, and when your paying someone as much money as burnett is getting, you be very cautious....
Old 03-28-2006, 08:36 PM

I wanted to mention that Marquis Grissom announced his retirement today. He had a very solid career, with 2251 hits, 429 stolen bases and a .272 batting average. He also won 4 Gold Gloves, was the MVP of the '97 ALCS while plying for the Cleveland Indians and batted .317 for his post season career, including a .390 mark in 3 World Series. He also caught the last out, a sinking fly from Carlos Baerga, to clinch Atlanta's '95 Series win in Game 6.

A real pro, in every sense of the word.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:35 PM
FUCK!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Wood I expected. But damn, starting the season without BOTH?! Not a good omen. I have a feeling its gonna be a rough year.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:57 PM
yeah marquis was the man at one point, especially when i remembered him on the expos on that '94 team

wood and prior on the DL? what else is new
Old 03-29-2006, 04:06 AM
He played a silky smooth Centerfield. Always looked in total command.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Look out for the Cleveland Indians in the next few years as they continue to sign their young players. In this case they have locked up CF Grady Sizemore in a six year deal worth $23.45 million with an $8.5 million option for 2012. After signing a five year deal with Victor Martinez it looks like they are getting ready for a run with their homegrown talent.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:25 PM
they should sign peralta and hafner soon, Hafner is gonna be a big hitter, once he starts learning to hit lefties
Old 03-29-2006, 03:34 PM
My predictions for the year:

AL Central:
Chicago White Sox
Cleveland Indians
Detroit Tigers
Minnesota Twins
Kansas City Royals

AL East:
New York Yankees
Boston Red Sox
Baltimore Orioles
Toronto Blue Jays
Tampa Bay Devil Rays

AL West:
Oakland Athletics
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
Texas Rangers
Seattle Mariners

NL Central:
St. Louis Cardinals
Milwaukee Brewers
Chicago Cubs
Pittsburgh Pirates
Houston Astros
Cincinatti Reds

NL East:
Atlanta Braves
Washington Nationals
Philadelphia Phillies
New York Mets
Florida Marlins(although they could suprise everyone)

NL West:
San Diego Padres
Los Angeles Dodgers
Arizona D'Backs
San Francisco Giants
Colorado Rockies

AL Wildcard:
Cleveland Indians
Boston Red Sox

NL Wild Card:
Milwaukee Brewers
Chicago Cubs

AL MVP: Travis Hafner
AL Cy Young: Rich Harden
AL Rookie of the Year: Brian Anderson
AL Manager of the Year: Ken Macha
AL Comeback Player of the Year: Jim Thome

NL MVP: Albert Pujols
NL Cy Young: Ben Sheets
NL Rookie: Prince Fielder
NL Manager: Ned Yost
NL Comeback: Barry Bonds(too obvious, but meh)

AL Playoffs:
Chicago White Sox over Oakland
Cleveland over New York

Cleveland over Chicago

NL Playoffs:
St. Louis over San Diego
Milwaukee over Atlanta

Milwaukee over St. Louis

World Series:
Cleveland over Milwaukee in 6(if this extremely far fetched world series actually happens, I deserve trillions of dollars)
Old 03-29-2006, 09:54 PM
I'll go with my predictions as well:

AL EAST:

Boston Red Sox
New York Yankees
Toronto Blue Jays
Tampa Bay Devil Rays
Baltimore Orioles

AL CENTRAL:

Chicago White Sox
Cleveland Indians - wild card
Minnesota Twins
Detroit Tigers
Kansas City Royals

AL WEST:

Oakland Athletics
Texas Rangers
Los Angeles Angels
Seattle Mariners

NL EAST:

Atlanta Braves
Washington Nationals
New York Mets
Philadelphia Phillies
Florida Marlins

NL CENTRAL:

St. Louis Cardinals
Pittsburgh Pirates
Chicago Cubs
Houston Astros
Milwaukee Brewers
Cincinnati Reds

NL WEST:

Los Angeles Dodgers
San Diego Padres - wild card
San Francisco Giants
Colorado Rockies
Arizona Diamondbacks

AL CY YOUNG - Roy Halladay
AL MVP - Mark Teixeira

NL CY YOUNG - Jake Peavy
NL MVP - Albert Pujols (although I expect Jason Bay to be in the running)

AL PLAYOFFS:

Boston over Cleveland
Oakland over Chicago

Oakland over Boston

NL PLAYOFFS:

St. Louis over San Diego
Los Angeles over Atlanta

St. Louis over Los Angeles

WORLD SERIES:

St. Louis over Oakland

Picks are unlikely, and being a Cards fan...might be wishful thinking
Old 03-31-2006, 07:01 PM
AL EAST:
01. New York Yankees
02. Toronto Blue Jays *WILD CARD*
03. Boston Red Sox
04. Tampa Bay Devil Rays
05. Baltimore Orioles

AL CENTRAL:
01. Chicago White Sox
02. Cleveland Indians
03. Minnesota Twins
04. Detroit Tigers
05. Kansas City Royals

AL WEST:
01. Oakland Athletics
02. Los Angeles Angels
03. Texas Rangers
04. Seattle Mariners

NL EAST:
01. New York Mets
02. Atlanta Braves *WILD CARD*
03. Philadelphia Phillies
04. Washington Nationals
05. Florida Marlins

NL CENTRAL:
01. St. Louis Cardinals
02. Houston Astros
03. Chicago Cubs
04. Pittsburgh Pirates
05. Milwaukee Brewers
06. Cincinnati Reds

NL WEST:
01. Los Angeles Dodgers
02. San Diego Padres
03. San Francisco Giants
04. Colorado Rockies
05. Arizona Diamondbacks

AL DIVISONAL PLAYOFFS

Blue Jays Over Athletics
Yankees Over White Sox

AL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

Blue Jays Over Yankees

NL DIVISONAL PLAYOFFS

Cardinals over Braves
Mets over Dodgers

NL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

Mets over Cardinals

WORLD SERIES

Blue Jays over Mets

AWARDS

NL MVP: Albert Pujols (runner up: Derek Lee)
AL MVP: Alex Rodriguez (runner up: David Ortiz)

NL CY YOUNG: Jake Peavy (runner up: Chris Carpenter)
AL CY YOUNG: Roy Halladay (runner up: Randy Johnson)

NL MANAGER: Grady Littles (Dodgers)
AL MANAGER: John Gibbons (Blue Jays)
Old 04-01-2006, 06:10 PM
I will make my predictions too a little more detailed

AL EAST
1. NY Yankees - How many times will the hitting save the Yankees asses this year
2. Toronto - Have closed the gap on the Red Sox and Yankees
3. Boston - Too many questions on this team compared to last year
4. Baltimore - Won pull off what they did last year
5. Tampa Bay - A-Rod probably makes more than everyone on this team

AL CENTRAL
1. Chicago White Sox - The best team clearly in this dvision
2. Cleveland(W) - A late collapse prevented them from stealing the division away from the White Sox
3. Minnesota - The drop off begins.
4. Detroit - Please I heard the surprise team crap for 4 years and they having been a contender for about 10-15 years.
5. Kansas City - The only team that makes the Devil Rays look good.

AL WEST
1. Oakland - I seriously don't know how this team continues to be good even after the lose good players
2. Anaheim Angels(yeah I know it's LA but I don't care) - Watch out if Guerrero, Anderson, and Erstad get injured pretty much kills any chance of being a contender.
3. Texas Rangers - Still don't have enough pitching to get over the A's and Angers
4. Seattle Mariners - will be slightly better but not by much.

AL Wild Card - Cleveland

NL EAST
1. Altanta Braves - I've already learned my lesson picking against them 2 years ago.
2. Philadelphia Phillies(W) - If they get better pitching depth watch out.
3. NY Mets - Pedro needs to be healthy for this team to have any chance but hey they finally have a closer
4. Washington Nationals - Alfonso Soriano just suck it up and play and go where you want next year.
5. Florida Marlins - Just move the team if they continue doing this.

NL CENTRAL
1. St. Louis - Even losing a couple players they will still win this division but it won't be easy
2. Milwakee - Hey don't laugh this is actually a pretty decent looking team
3. Houston - Clemens please decide what you are going to do and stick with it.
4. Chicago Cubs - Win this division if Wood and Prior are healthy for a full season but that will never happen.
5. Cincinnati -Their pitching might be worse than last year
6. Pittsburgh - Jason Bay is the only hope for this franchise

NL WEST
1.San Francisco - Someone has to win this piece of shit division
2. LA Dodgers - A lot of players are coming off injury plaged seasons.
3. San Diego - Might be better but who knows.
4. Arizona - Good luck O-Dog you will need it in that city
5. Colorado - Are still very horrible althought Jeff Francis could be an all-star in 3-5 years.

NL Wild Card - Philadelphia

AL Cy Young - Roy Halladay(TOR)
NL Cy Young - Roy Oswalt(HOU)

AL MVP -Vladamir Guerrero(ANGELS)
NL MVP - Albert Pujols

AL Rookie - Francisco Liriano (MIN)
NL Rookie - Prince Fielder (MIL)

Other Predictions
AL Surprising Team - The Angels
AL Disapointing Team - Boston Red Sox
NL Surprising Team - Milwakee Brewers
NL Disapointing Teams - The Entire NL West Division

World Series Winner - St. Louis Cardinals over Cleveland Indians.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:06 PM
God damnit! My preview channel says MLB baseball on Sportsnet but what is actually there? A rerun of Poker Superstars! I like watching poker once in a while but not on the opening night of the baseball season! It's the one thing I hate about Canadian television...baseball is limited unless you purchase the digital cable and then the extra innings package, something as a student I cannot afford. Fuck sportsnet...
Old 04-02-2006, 10:32 PM

Here we go baby!

Where's bob!? Me and him gotta fucking represent the Yankee pride!
Old 04-03-2006, 01:57 AM

I so wish I had a .gif of Pedro tossing the Designated Gerbil (Bill Lee's classic nickname for Zimmer) onto the turf at Fenway. One of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:35 AM
fuck the yankees and damon's sellout haircut

GO JAYS!
Old 04-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ChemicalRomance

Where's bob!? Me and him gotta fucking represent the Yankee pride![/size]
[/B]
Word, bitches...Yanks go 238-0 this year, I'm predicting it now...they're gonna beat the Jays so badly it's gonna count as two wins every time.

By the by, Harold Reynolds (who I LURVE), predicted that the Yanks will ship Robinson Cano to the Cubs for Mark Prior or Kerry Wood this summer. God, let that not happen. The Cano is the man.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Cano is a great up and comer but his defense leaves much to be desired. And last year he made a lot of dumb decisions on the base paths. For example, one game I was at he was running to 2nd. He slid in but was never called out. He just figured he was out so he walked off base and got officially tagged out.

Gotta work on that.

Old 04-03-2006, 07:46 PM
While the Yankees have a fondness for broken down pitchers, they usually just toss gold bullion bars at them in December, rather than trade potential starters for them, so I sort of doubt that.

In other news, Bobby Cox is a moron. Expect me to write that many more times over the coming months.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Hey Zito, fuck you.

A-ROD! GRAND SLAM!

Barry Zito: 1 1/3 IP, 7 ER
Old 04-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Wow...Zito got destroyed. Too bad I have him in one of my fantasy leagues...ugh.

On the bright side, so far all of Albert Pujols hits have been home runs...and he's batting 1.000! Cardinals had a big game, even though Carpenter was far from sharp.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:21 AM

Are the A's going to get off to their customary 13-40 start, then spend the whole Summer furiously trying to catch up?
Old 04-04-2006, 03:29 AM
jimmy rollins pickin up where he left off...

ryan howard picking up where he left off in spring

pujols, a rod, big papi, dunn all hitting big homers

good opening day but the best was seeing that fan throw a syringe onto the field in petco park against Bonds and the giants lol
Old 04-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Alright, whose gonna be the first to step up and say that the Yanks win doesn't mean anything? Or was it just too damn convincing?

Seriously, though, how about Hideki Matsui? He's gonna get lost in the shuffle a lot this season, especially batting sixth, but he might be the Yankees most clutch hitter.

And CR, did you find it at all ironic that their first RBI of 2006 came from Bernie Williams?

Oh, and jackson13...don't get your hopes up about the Cubs...the only team in the league more attuned to choking than the Cubs is the Reds.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:25 AM
This is no way against anyone here but I need to get this off my chest:

I can't take it anymore. I am so sick and freakin tired of everyone in America getting on Barry Bonds' case. It seems like everywhere I turn, it's Barry cheated or Barry sucks, and I can't take it. The dude is the best overall player (maybe outside of Babe Ruth) of all time. He dominates games more than Aaron, Mayes, Mantle, etc. Everyone claims his defense sucks, but hell he's got 8 Gold Gloves. He is the only player EVER to hit 500 HR and steal 500 bases. HOLY SHIT!!! 7 MVP's The most ever by a single player.

If you're gonna play the steroid angle, fine. First off, Barry says that he never knowingly used steroids, and how come so many people are so quick to be "Oh Barry is a liar." It's been proven that steroids alone don't increase your muscle mass. So, it's impossible for the dude to have sat on his ass and just be awesome. If for the chance he did use steroids, does that take away from what he has done? Hell no. He is a PHENOMENAL baseball player.

Just for the record, I am not a Giants fan. I live in Chicago, and am just sick of everyone hating on this one dude. Okay, I have class in a few minutes, and I just wanted to blow some steam ( Damn Human Biology class!!) I now open the floor to the Barry and Fooknasty bashing..............

Last edited by fooknasty; 04-04-2006 at 11:27 AM..
Old 04-04-2006, 11:42 AM
I have tried to ignore Bonds and this whole scandal and focus on the sport, the games and the stats...but it just keeps getting shoved back in my fucking face. I am sick of Bonds, cheater or not, liar or not, best player or asterisk player, I just don't care! One man should not be the focus of the sport, even last year when he wasn't playing people talked more about him than how the Baltimore Orioles went up early and blew a giant fuse dropping almost to the basement. That is a more interesting story to me!

Fuck Bonds and every reporter who gives him air time. Fuck his reality show! I just want baseball and if he's playing I'll hear his name and be fine with it...but I'm sick of every other baseball reference being about him.

EDIT: I still found this pretty funny...I mean the needle was taken out!

Last edited by Rated R; 04-04-2006 at 12:06 PM..
Old 04-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bob
And CR, did you find it at all ironic that their first RBI of 2006 came from Bernie Williams?
Haha I had my Williams jersey on!

Fun game last night. Great opener to watch.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bob

Seriously, though, how about Hideki Matsui? He's gonna get lost in the shuffle a lot this season, especially batting sixth, but he might be the Yankees most clutch hitter.
I agree, he has always been clutch for the yanks unlike alot of there other players and having him batting 6th in a lineup just shows the depth and power in their lineup. although i do thibnk that Giambi should be batting after Matsui and not before.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:36 PM

Good game for the Jays, they hit the ball hard and had opportunities. The way Wells was swinging the bat I figure he has Johan Santana on his fantasy team. But Molina, Glaus and Rios were clutch and B.J. Ryan dominated the ninth. I know this doesn't prove that it was all worth it, but they seemed excited and ready. Good turnout too. A good start to a season with tons of potential.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:25 AM
welp, great debut from our big money boys, i was at the game and it was electric

hey matsui nice catch!, he looks lost out there

yanks loose WOOOOOOOOO!
Old 04-05-2006, 01:03 AM
This is all going to be really funny when some asshole throws something like a metal napkin dispenser (like they did in Detroit in '95) and fractures Bonds' skull. People need to get a fucking grip. He didn't kill a kid or steal anyone's winter fuel.

At worst, he risked his own health and made himself into a one dimensional player (rather than the brilliant 5 tool wonder he was until '99) in a stupid effort to outshine McGwire and Sosa. You don't think he deserves the record? Don't acknowledge it. I put a mental asterisk in front of every number compiled in the majors before 1947. It's easy.

It's John Rocker all over. As detestible as he was, the fact that the NYPD had to put fucking snipers at Shea when he came in for the first time in 2000 is an absolute indictment of this society.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Agreed...it's really a more dangerous type of hero worship...in reverse. People just love celebrities too damn much.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:42 AM
If someone threw the syringe dart-like with needle and it landed right into Bonds then I would not be laughing. I mean when they first said someone threw a syringe at him I was sick to my stomach at how idiotic people can be. Now it's still stupid as hell, but I'm laughing at exactly how stupid and blown out of proportion it all his. Come on, Bonds can't take away your birthday! So leave him be.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bob
Oh, and jackson13...don't get your hopes up about the Cubs...the only team in the league more attuned to choking than the Cubs is the Reds.
Is that just a dig at me out of nowhere? So uncalled for.

I dont have my hopes up this year. I am flat out saying right now, this is not the Cubs year. I'm not even setting myself up for heartbreak.