Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Sports
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2004, 07:23 PM

I love Charles Thomas, and I'll miss him, but I'm pleased that he's going somewhere he'll get a chance to play full time.

And I'm beyond stoked about gettting Tim Hudson. Hope he's amenable to signing a more long term contract.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:11 PM
Well fuck sakes the bastards got him

Source Newsday.com
The Yankees have reached agreement on the principal players in a three-team blockbuster trade that would land them coveted lefthander Randy Johnson, Newsday has learned.

A few details have yet to be worked out, but indications are they are not big enough obstacles to kill the deal.

The Yankees would receive the 41-year-old Johnson in the deal while sending pitcher Javier Vazquez and two minor-league prospects, catcher Dioner Navarro and third baseman Eric Duncan, to the Dodgers, according to an Arizona source. The Dodgers would send pitchers Brad Penny and Yhency Brazoban and outfielder/first baseman Shawn Green to Arizona to complete the deal.

Johnson and Green both have no-trade clauses. Johnson has been requesting a trade to the Yankees for quite a while, so he will surely give his OK. Green's former agent is Jeff Moorad, who currently runs the Diamondbacks, so there's a great likelihood he would also approve the deal.

The other issues involve perks in Johnson's contract and how he would be reimbursed for the loss of them with a trade to the Yankees, such as his tickets to Phoenix Suns games, and physicals for the players involved.

The Yankees are expected to give Johnson a contract extension once the deal goes through.

Old 12-16-2004, 11:38 PM

THE BRAVES GOT TIM HUDSON!!!! BOO-YAH!!!!!
Old 12-17-2004, 12:20 AM
I am glad beyond words that we got Hudson, but I wish we could have kept Thomas. At least we didn't have to give up Giles or Green.

I hate the fact that they traded Eli Marrero to K.C. for Jorge Vasquez. I really though Eli would be a great starter for us in left.

Whose gonna play right and center for us now? I personally think Green will move to right and Andy Marte will start at third and they'll move Chipper back to left, where he'll tear his hamstring, and have a few Griffey-like seasons.

About the Johnson trade, here is some hope at least that it maybe won't happen:

From ESPN.

Randy Johnson wants out of Arizona and wants in with the Yankees. The five-time Cy Young Award winner would have to waive his no-trade clause, but he'd apparently do that in a heartbeat.

A proposed three-team mega-trade that reportedly was on the road to getting done Thursday night hit the skids.

A baseball source told ESPN that several obstacles stand in the way of a trade involving the Yankees, Diamondbacks and Dodgers, and that the deal rapidly exceeding the complexity of last year's failed Alex Rodriguez-to-Boston trade might never happen at all.

Earlier reports indicated that the teams were closing in on a trade that would send Johnson to the Yankees, Javier Vazquez and prospects Eric Duncan and Dioner Navarro to Los Angeles, and Shawn Green and pitchers Brad Penny and Yhency Brazoban to Arizona.

The trade was proposed before Adrian Beltre agreed to a $64 million, five-year deal with the Mariners on Thursday. By failing to re-sign Beltre, the Dodgers may rethink their role in the trade, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported.

Other issues that threatened to derail the trade include the waiving of Green's no-trade clause. A source close to Green told ESPN.com that the Dodgers outfielder is happy living in Southern California, where he grew up, and has expressed no desire to leave Los Angeles. How much money the Diamondbacks would receive from the Yankees is also a point of contention. Sources told Stark that moving Duncan and Navarro would preclude the Yankees from sending money to Arizona.

Another obstacle that reportedly would derail the trade is Vazquez's salary; he is due $34.5 million over the next three seasons and Los Angeles apparently wants help from the Yankees footing the bill.

There was no confirmation from any of the teams that a deal has been proposed. Johnson's agent, Barry Meister, declined comment when reached by ESPN.com.

"We're still in conversations with a lot of different clubs about a lot of different possibilities," Dodgers general manager Paul DePodesta said earlier Thursday. "We have talked about some three-way deals and some four-way deals.

"I don't know if it's going to happen or not," he said.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by free
Whose gonna play right and center for us now? I personally think Green will move to right and Andy Marte will start at third and they'll move Chipper back to left, where he'll tear his hamstring, and have a few Griffey-like seasons.
From the story on the trade on the Official Braves Site:

"While strengthening their pitching staff, the Braves' outfield picture became even cloudier. Thomas and Marrero had been pegged to platoon in left field again this year. Currently, Andruw Jones is the only player guaranteed a starting spot in Atlanta outfield, so the Braves will continue looking at the trade market in hopes of finding some outfield help.

There have been some reports that the Braves are interested in Sammy Sosa. While Schuerholz confirms he has talked to the Cubs, he says the discussions never exceeded the preliminary stage.

The Braves will be looking to find outfielders to fill a one-year role in Atlanta. Top prospects Andy Marte and Jeff Francoeur could both be filling outfield spots by the start of the 2006 season.

With Chipper Jones entrenched at third base, Marte will likely begin learning to play the outfield this year at Triple-A Richmond.

In other words, Marte will have to show the patience Schuerholz plans to utilize, while finding a way to fill those holes he has in his outfield. He seemingly feels no urgency to fill those needs.

"It might be as soon as next week, or as late as Spring Training," Schuerholz said. "We're in no rush. We're going to allow ourselves to march in a comfortable fashion towards the construction of this roster.'"
Old 12-17-2004, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by thedudeman69
THE BRAVES GOT TIM HUDSON!!!! BOO-YAH!!!!!
A mighty fine score for the Braves, indeed. I wish the Sox had had the prospects to procure his services, even if it is only for one season. Oh well, at least he's over in the NL now.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:45 PM
Burning bridges
Martinez blasts Schilling, Red Sox, 'arrogant' Epstein
Posted: Friday December 17, 2004 10:22AM; Updated: Friday December 17, 2004 11:01AM

NEW YORK (AP) -- Pedro Martinez says he told Red Sox management he didn't want to be in the shadow of fellow ace Curt Schilling. He also hopes his new team, the New York Mets, will sign his former Boston battery-mate, Jason Varitek.

In an interview with the Boston Herald, Martinez criticized the negotiating tactics of Red Sox officials, saying he repeatedly got mixed signals from team president Larry Lucchino, owner John Henry and General Manager Theo Epstein, whom he called "arrogant."

Martinez signed a four-year, $53 million contract with the Mets this week. He said he left the Red Sox after seven years partly because he didn't want to be second in the starting rotation behind Schilling, who was acquired last offseason and helped lead the team to its first World Series championship in 86 years.

"I told [Henry], 'You want to sign me, get it done. Please force them to get it done. I'm willing to stay here. Negotiate with them. I just don't want to be under Schilling," Martinez said.

He also said he deserved a better deal than Schilling.

"Schilling is 38, I'm only 33," he said. "The fact that I had an off-year doesn't mean that I can be below Schilling. Still, with an off-year, I'm way over Schilling as a pitcher and I've pitched pretty much like Schilling the last few years, if you're going to talk about durability."

Red Sox officials did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Asked what other free agents he thought Boston would sign, Martinez said "they'll be stupid not to do Varitek. Varitek is the next one gone. Theo's going to have the biggest problem with him."

Epstein has said signing Varitek is one of his offseason priorities. The catcher is reportedly seeking a five-year contract worth more than $50 million, with a no-trade clause.

"I hope he is gone," Martinez said of Varitek. "I hope 'Tek is on my team."

Asked whether that meant he wanted to get rid of current Mets catcher Mike Piazza, Martinez said, "I do want Piazza, too. Piazza is a good hitter. We can move him to first or somewhere. ... I want 'Tek. 'Tek is a good player, a good catcher."

He also said Epstein and Lucchino "weren't getting along in negotiations. Lucchino would say one thing and Theo would show up with another."

He said Epstein treated his agent, Fernando Cuza, poorly during negotiations.

"Theo got really arrogant on Fernando and I didn't appreciate it," Martinez said. "Theo believed that he had me and wasn't the nicest man communicating with Fernando."

He said Red Sox manager Terry Francona played a small role in managing the team, taking his cues from the team's front office.

"Francona is subject to what they decide," Martinez said. "Francona had no say, like he didn't have any say in managing the team. He was manipulated from upstairs."

Asked for evidence to back that assertion, he said, "I was in the clubhouse, that's how I know."

Source: CNNSI
Old 12-17-2004, 01:06 PM
please refer to my previous posts where i refer to Martinez as a fucking dork. I haven't liked him since he ditched the Expos, but yeah, he's probably the biggest jerk in baseball (tossing Zimmer!)

Now that he's not on your team Boston fans, you can actually see the jerk he truly is
Old 12-17-2004, 03:07 PM
I'd like to see the Johnson trade go through, but frankly, I don't think it'll be completed with Shawn Green (as he's the Dodgers ONLY consistent power hitter now), and I can't see who else The Diamondbacks would want. Doesn't look too good.

And the Braves will be complete dickheads to get Sosa.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:11 PM
The Braves will never take on Sosa. No way. They place a lot of importance on clubhouse behavior. They don't take mercs down there, which is why that Brown thing was a non-starter.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:10 PM
My Sox just inked Matt Clement to a 3 yr, $25 million deal. I don't really know how I feel about this one. I'd heard that he had serious control issues. Any Cubbies fans wanna throw their two cents in here for educational purposes. Is this guy worth anything or not?
Old 12-18-2004, 12:18 AM
Yeah, Bobby would rather have a 20hr 80rbi guy that works hard and plays unselfishly, than a 65hr 130rbi guy that would just fuck up team chemistry.

I really wanted us to get Dye back, but I'm glad he kept his word with Chicago. I wonder if the Mets sign Delgado, they'd be willing to give up on Sosa and trade us Floyd.

I still think they should let Green play left or right. He has too god a bat to be stuck sittin' next to DeRosa.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:41 PM
I don't really trust anyone from last year's Cubs except Nomar, so I think Boston is going to regret giving up on Derek Lowe and getting Matt Clement instead.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:47 PM
So, out of nowhere the A's trade Mulder to the Cards

wtf?
Old 12-19-2004, 08:08 AM
It's Giambi and Tejada all over again. I wonder why Beane is self destructing his team.

It's not like they have been losing for years and should consentrate on rebuilding their farm system instead of trying to buy a quick fix that will more than likely blow up in their face <cough METS cough>.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:57 AM
Quote:
It's Giambi and Tejada all over again. I wonder why Beane is self destructing his team.

It's not like they have been losing for years and should consentrate on rebuilding their farm system instead of trying to buy a quick fix that will more than likely blow up in their face <cough METS cough>.

I think it is a premptive strike. We knew for a few years that when there "big three" get ready for new contracts that they were in trouble due to there salary constraints. They just stepped up the process by doing these trades. The A's may dissapear next season but from what I have read they have got some pretty decent talent in return.

And regardless, they havnt done anything in the post season with those guys so why not.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bob
I don't really trust anyone from last year's Cubs except Nomar, so I think Boston is going to regret giving up on Derek Lowe and getting Matt Clement instead.
They did offer Lowe arbatration and he declined and started talking shite about the team. They would have loved/needed lowe in the rotation but he shot his way out of town by being an ass.

Between him and Pedro they have rid themselves of some big times morons, even tho without them we never would have won the World Series, they are replacing them in some ways.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:29 PM
Apparently the "superdeal" for Randy Johnson has grown even bigger, and now would look like this:

Yankees get:
Kaz Ishii
Randy Johnson

Dodgers get:
Javier Vazquez
Mike Koplove
Eric Duncan
Dioner Navarro

Diamondbacks get:
Shawn Green
Brad Penny
Yhency Brazoban
Brandon Wheeden

This would be a gret deal for the Yankees, as Ishii can be quite good, and would certainly fit nicely as a middle reliever, but I don't understand how they can keep dealing all of their prospects so willy-nilly. I mean, the guys they have are going to have to retire eventually.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:53 AM
Am I the only one pumped about getting Matt Clement? This kid has got fantastic stuff, and is a no-hitter waiting to happen, really.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RicochetShaw
Am I the only one pumped about getting Matt Clement? This kid has got fantastic stuff, and is a no-hitter waiting to happen, really.
Maybe, but that somewhat tidy ERA is going to get inflated once he hits those beefy AL lineups. Also, isn't he pretty wild? Cubbies fans, what did you guys think of him? I know the stats, but...
Old 12-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Well, the long awaited three-way trade between the Yankees, Dodgers, and the Diamondbacks is...DEAD!.

Please, let's all hold hands with Alex Rodriguez and sing the "Irony" song. Like the Beatles said, "Instant Karma's gonna get ya, baby."

Dead Deal: Dodgers pull out of Unit trade.

ESPN.com news services
NEW YORK -- The Los Angeles Dodgers withdrew Tuesday from the proposed three-team, 10-player trade that would have sent Randy Johnson from the Arizona Diamondbacks to the New York Yankees.

The story was first reported by ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

"As we sit here right now, the deal is no more," Dodgers general manager Paul DePodesta said during a conference call. "I've been saying all along that we weren't going to do the deal unless it made sense for this club in 2005, and that was not the case."

Newsday reported on its Web site Tuesday night that Javier Vazquez did not want to play for the Dodgers and refused to travel to Los Angeles for a physical. The paper, citing a source involved in the discussions, cited that as the "primary reason" for the deal's collapse.

This leaves the Yankees and the Diamondbacks to consider other ways to trade Johnson to the Yankees.

Already, the Diamondbacks are believed to be seeking another third-party to replace the Dodgers, fueled by a desire to move the Big Unit's salary once and for all. One major league executive familiar with the talks told ESPN.com that Arizona ownership had already been in contact with several teams late Tuesday night.

Earlier in the day, an official of one of the teams and a person close to one of the players involved in the trade said the deal had been submitted early Tuesday to baseball commissioner Bud Selig for approval. The two spoke on condition of anonymity.

And the Yankees told Vazquez's agent that the deal had been submitted, causing the agent to tell the pitcher he had been traded.

But Pat Courtney, a spokesman in the commissioner's office, said in the afternoon that more documentation had to be submitted before Selig could consider the complex transaction.

Sources told ESPN that they believed the Dodgers had been holding up the paperwork process.

"There were specific things in this deal that didn't work out," DePodesta said. "There were a lot of things to work out, a lot of things that were tentatively agreed on, but still details that we needed to work through."

Los Angeles would have received right-hander Vazquez from the Yankees along with two top prospects, catcher Dioner Navarro and third baseman Eric Duncan. The Dodgers also would have gotten pitcher Mike Koplove from Arizona.

Arizona would have gotten outfielder Shawn Green and pitchers Brad Penny, Yhency Brazoban and Brandon Weeden from the Dodgers. Along with Johnson, the Yankees would have gotten pitcher Kaz Ishii from Los Angeles.

"We were probably the most deliberate in approaching it, and at the end of the day, it just wasn't going to come together and make sense for us," DePodesta said.

Johnson, a five-time Cy Young Award winner, has asked the Diamondbacks to trade him, but it's not clear whether the 41-year-old left-hander would accept a deal to any team other than the Yankees. He has a no-trade clause.

DePodesta said it was possible the Dodgers might get back involved in the trade, but he likely wouldn't be the one to initiate additional talks.

"Probably only if they call us," he said. "I don't think we'll actively pursue, but if they come after us, I'm sure we'll listen, as we would in any other case."

Yankees officials met in Tampa, Fla., on Tuesday with free-agent center fielder Carlos Beltran and weren't available following DePodesta's announcement. Diamondbacks officials didn't return telephone calls seeking comment.

DePodesta said the Dodgers had not been looking to trade Green, and that he will speak with the outfielder.

"I'm looking forward to making a call to some of the guys and telling them to settle down and not be concerned with being traded," he said.

A baseball source told ESPN's Karl Ravech Tuesday night that Green has no desire to finish his career with the Dodgers and that the outfielder does not plan to re-sign with Los Angeles when his contract expires after the 2005 season. According to the source, Green appeared ready to waive his no-trade clause to report to the Diamondbacks as part of the Johnson deal.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:33 AM
I'm pretty sure The Yankees will have Johnson by the time the offseason is over, but I'm glad the Dodgers pulled out because, when you look at it, it was a trade that just didn't make sense for them.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:28 PM
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. The Yankees are now CURSED!
Old 12-22-2004, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bob
but I'm glad the Dodgers pulled out because, when you look at it, it was a trade that just didn't make sense for them.
That's what I thought. They would give up Green, who could still be a solid 30/30 guy, and Ishii, who IMO is just as talented as Vasquez.

But, Duncan is supposed to be a good 3B prospect, and they could've used him to eventually fill Beltre's void, but it was too much to give.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Wade Miller signed with the BoSox, 1yr/$4.5 million, and Orlando Hernadez signed with the ChiSox, 2yr/$8.5 million

This is from ESPN's page 2 on the REAL story behind the Johnson deal:

Vazquez served up the grand slam to Johnny Damon in Game 7 of the ALCS, knocking George Steinbrenner off his sedan chair. Steinbrenner's fall crushed three Yankees interns who were peeling his grapes in between sending out e-mails announcing an increase in co-pays on the team's medical plan. When Selig presented the Red Sox with the American League pennant, Steinbrenner's howls of "Give us back our precious!" reached ultra-high frequency wavelengths that sent dogs scurrying from Yankee Stadium and was heard by player agents as far away as Los Angeles.

Frightened by the packs of wild dogs in the streets, a vendor selling "Who's Your Daddy?" T-shirts for half-price leaped onto a fire escape, which sent Mike Tyson's old pigeons flying above the tenement buildings. One pigeon was killed when it flew into the path of a Randy Johnson fastball, prompting Bronx police officers to arrest the left-handed pitcher on charges of animal cruelty.

Bronx police forced Johnson to use his one phone call to contact Yankees general manager Brian Cashman and demand a trade to New York. Cashman and Arizona general manager Joe Garagiola Jr. quickly agreed on a deal that would send Johnson to New York, Vazquez to Los Angeles, Shawn Green to Arizona and Giambi to Bangkok. They then submitted the trade proposal to Selig.

Selig approved the trade, provided the Washington, D.C. council also agreed to build a new stadium, airport, subway line and tax shelter for the Washington Nationals' private use. The council agreed, reluctantly adding a clause saying the city would also pay Selig's income taxes for the remainder of his life.

At that point, Dodgers general manager Paul DePodesta first learned of the deal's details on "SportsCenter" and phoned Peter Gammons to veto the trade.

If that sounds complicated ... well, you don't want to know what Scott Boras is requiring teams to do to sign Beltran.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Alou to the Giants 2 yr / $13.25 million (Goddamn what a bargain!)

Drew to the Dodgers 5 yr / $55 million (What the FUCK?)

All I can say is, DePodesta must be off his fuckin' nut. $11 mill a year for 5 years to a guy who has had ONE healthy season his entire career? He didn't exactly light up the boards in it either. If someone said to me after the season that Drew would get three more years on his contract, and $4 million more the Alou per year, I would have laughed my ass off.

Alou was a steal for the Giants (of course having his dad as the manager didn't hurt). Now Bonds will have a solid hitter behind him, and maybe he'll only walk 150 times next year.

Last edited by free; 12-23-2004 at 01:25 PM..
Old 12-24-2004, 04:13 AM
I'm a little surprised at the Alou thing. he and his dad aren't all that tight. (They're not like Mike and Henry Bibby, whose relationship resembles Denzel and Ray Allen in He Got Game, but there is a little bit of distance, by all reports.)

Moises was born in Atlanta when his dad was having his career best season for the Braves, and I've always wanted him to play there, at least for a little while.

Oh well
Old 12-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Well, David Eckstein signed with the Cardinals, which means Boston, Anaheim, and St. Louis just kind of rotated shortstops to the right this offseason.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:21 AM
Sawed off, wound too tight little guys like that are kind of all or nothing for me. I either love them (Marcus Giles, Brett Butler) or loathe them (Casey Candele, John Cangelosi*)

For whatever reason, I really like Eckstine. I was surprised to see the Angels cut him loose. He's worth a lot more than his stats (which are good) really demonstrate.

*I will never forget, it brings a smile to my face even as I write this, John Smoltz plunking that little turd at Shea in @ 1992 after Ryan Thompson hit a homer and cadillaced it around the bases. Absolutely hilarious.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:37 PM
According to Yahoo sports, The Yankees and Diamondbacks have again "all but completed" a deal for Randy Johnson, in which the Yanks would give up:

Javier Vazquez
Brad Halsley
Dioner Navarro
Cash

Yahoo Sports also says Vazquez would then most likely be traded to the Dodgers for Shawn Green and Brad Penny.

Yeah, this deal is WAY different.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:09 PM
Well, Selig approved the trade, and Johnson is a Yankee.

Funny though, because the D-backs traded a couple of prospects, one of which was included in the Johnson deal, to the Dodgers for Green. No Penny or Vazquez involved.

If that's true, the D-backs have really improved their team for next year.

Oh, and the Anaheim Angels are now the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim???!!!
Old 01-03-2005, 07:26 PM
Worst name in baseball, easily.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:13 PM
Probably the silliest name in pro sports since the old NASL team, the Toronto Metros (Croatia)
Old 01-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Oh, and the Anaheim Angels are now the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim???!!!
What?

Is this right? Can they guys just stick to 1 fucking name for more than 6 years.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:16 AM

They changed it again, they're now called...

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim with a side of Sacramento
Old 01-04-2005, 01:38 PM
One of my friends said that she'd seen the suggestion online that they call themselves "The Los Angeles Anaheim", like "Green Wave" or "Crimson Tide"
Old 01-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Well, this hasn't been updated in a while.

Randy Johnson signed a 2 year extention with the Yankees for 16 mil a year.

Carlos Beltran is getting 17 mil a year from the Mets.

Kevin Millwood signed a 1 year 7 mil contract with Cleveland.

Odalis Perez stayed with L.A.

Tino Martinez signed a 2 year contract with the Yankees..

Braves signed Gabe White to 1 year $600,000 contract.

Juan Gonzalez is close to a minor league deal with Cleveland, with an invite to spring training.

That's about all I can think of.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:07 PM
I can't believe Beltran signed with the Mets. If I was him, I definitely would've taken the 13 mil a year or whatever the Yankees were offering.

And plus, does he REALLY want to be a Met until he's 34?
Old 01-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Shawn Green reached a three year deal with the D-Backs, so they basically traded Randy Johnson for Javier Vazquez, Shawn Green, a prospect and around $10 million bucks. Not too bad.

Oh yeah, I think Randy will fit in just fine in N.Y.

Johnson in confrontation with cameraman.

The Big Unit put his long right arm up to block a camera from WCBS-TV on Monday after he left his Manhattan hotel. Johnson, who was accompanied by Yankees director of team security Jerry Laveroni, made contact with the camera, station spokeswoman Audrey Pass said.

"Get out of my face, that's all I ask,'' Johnson said, according to a video of what occurred, which was posted on the station's Web site.

"No cameras,'' Laveroni said.

"Don't get in my face,'' Johnson then said. ``I don't care who you are. Don't get in my face.''

"I'm just taking a picture,'' said the cameraman, identified by the station as Vinny Everett.

Responded Johnson: "Don't get in my face, and don't talk back to me, all right.''

Last edited by free; 01-10-2005 at 05:47 PM..
Old 01-11-2005, 01:14 PM

Yeah Randy Johnson should fit in just fine in New York.