Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Sports
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by horrorfreak13
To payroll $210 million over the next 3 years which will go towards the players they have on their team now and any other free agents or anything at the trade deadline if the Blue Jays do something this year injuries killed this team last year so they could pry off of the Oakland Blue Jays .... oops I mean the Oakland A's since Barry Zito I believe is a free agent next season.

So at this time next year the Blue Jays could have somewhere around a $120 million payroll

Interesting, very interesting.

Welcome to the Big Show.

Old 02-02-2005, 11:27 PM
Cubs signed OF Jeromy Burnitz to a 1 year deal today.

Wont fill Sosa and Alou's shoes, but it is a nice addition.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:25 PM
I saw a lot of Burnitz last year with the Rockies, and while he can put up solid-to-great numbers, he can't begin to match the charisma Alou and Sosa had. He's a very consistent, dull player.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Cubs trade reliable reliever Farnsworth to the tigers for next to nothing...make any sense?

no.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by daddiefatsacks
Cubs trade reliable reliever Farnsworth to the tigers for next to nothing...make any sense?

no.
Exactly what I said.

They pull a smart move by getting someone like Burnitz, then turn around and trade the only good closer they have left.

Cubs fans have been saying it for years: WE NEED GOOD CLOSERS!

But what do they do? They trade the best one they got.

Here's hoping JoBo is healed, and the Cubs keep him. If they dont, Cubs closing is officially fucked.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Farnsworth for nothing and Maggs signed. Nice week for Detroit. Playoffs, here we come!
Old 02-10-2005, 02:53 AM

I was always tickled pink when I saw Farnsworth coming in against the Braves. Like Nuke LaLoosh, he's got a million dollar arm and a five cent head. He will, inevitably, try to sneak some sort of mediocre breaking ball over and get killed with it.

I always thought the Cubs held onto him because he had a good fastball and was such a stud muffin. I mean the guy is an encyclopedia illustration for "ballplayer". I think they always hoped the reality would catch up with his image

They're well rid of him, he's a bum.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:56 PM
With football season now over, my mind has shifted over to my beloved Braves. I've been thinking about the NL East next year, and I have to admit I have some worries. I mean, how long can the Braves really keep winning this division? I said at the start of last season that if the Braves won the division, Bobby Cox deserved to be manager of the year. They did, and he did. This season, I'll say the exact same thing. That said, I do think the Braves will win the division with the Mets or Marlins in second and Philly pulling up the rear.

However, I don't see this being the strongest pitching rotation ever for the Braves like Schuerholz says. Smoltz has never tested that elbow as a starter so I think he's a big question mark although Hudson was a nice pickup.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:35 PM
This has been a remarkable run, but you'd never know it from the bruising they take from the mainstream media.

Ah, well...like I care
Old 02-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mack
With football season now over, my mind has shifted over to my beloved Braves. I've been thinking about the NL East next year, and I have to admit I have some worries. I mean, how long can the Braves really keep winning this division? I said at the start of last season that if the Braves won the division, Bobby Cox deserved to be manager of the year. They did, and he did. This season, I'll say the exact same thing. That said, I do think the Braves will win the division with the Mets or Marlins in second and Philly pulling up the rear.

However, I don't see this being the strongest pitching rotation ever for the Braves like Schuerholz says. Smoltz has never tested that elbow as a starter so I think he's a big question mark although Hudson was a nice pickup.
I think the starting rotation needs to at least pull 8+ innings because I think their bullpen ain't worth shit(except for Kolb and White and Retisma).
Old 02-14-2005, 11:10 PM

Barry Bonds' mistress came out today and said he confided in her a while back that he was taking steroids.

I don't know what's a bigger joke, Barry Bonds' baseball records or the fact that ballplayer mistresses are now putting together their own press conferences.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Indiana Sev
Barry Bonds' mistress came out today and said he confided in her a while back that he was taking steroids.

I don't know what's a bigger joke, Barry Bonds' baseball records or the fact that ballplayer mistresses are now putting together their own press conferences.
Sounds to me like a woman trying to get her fifteen minutes of fame. I'm sure Barry decided to just casually tell her he was taking steroids.

Furthermore, I don't think we should call Barry's records a joke. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty. I would not be at all surprised if it comes out that Bonds has used steroids, but I am not prepared to condemn him for it just yet.

And even if it were to come out, we must remember that their has never been any reseach to measure the positive effects steroids have on athletic performance. How much more power or bat speed do they actually provide? We don't have those answers yet nor do we have any answers concerning Bonds's alleged use of roids.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:44 PM
training camp has opened up!!

im very excited, go jays!
Old 02-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mack
I would not be at all surprised if it comes out that Bonds has used steroids, but I am not prepared to condemn him for it just yet.
I think he himself said he took them without knowing (that cream). I think at this point there is a 1% that he never took them and I think we know enough about steroids that we know it does increase a person's power and strength and him having that unfair advantage over other players who only get bigger and stronger naturally is what taints his records, in my opinion.

It's not a level playing field.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:32 PM
This is an excellent Braves rotation, and the one I'm most confident in since Glavine's last year in Atlanta, but best during Schuerholtz' run?

I seem to recall Glavine and Maddux (Cy Young winner) winning 20 each, Avery winning 18 and John Smoltz and Mike Bielecki strong in the mix in 1993.

Incidentally, the Braves were the best team in Baseball that year. I don't want to hear about the Blue Jays or the Phillies. Both were great teams, but the Braves were tops and the team they bested in the greatest pennant chase I've ever witnessed, and I doubt that I'll ever see topped, the San Francisco Giants, were second.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Indiana Sev
I think he himself said he took them without knowing (that cream). I think at this point there is a 1% that he never took them and I think we know enough about steroids that we know it does increase a person's power and strength and him having that unfair advantage over other players who only get bigger and stronger naturally is what taints his records, in my opinion.

It's not a level playing field.
I am of the mind that fine...he took roids...it seems like it isnt a big deal with baseball...god forbid he bet on the game.....it really doesnt seem like the MBL cares so why should I?

As far as I thnk, every stat in the last 15 years is tainted and as long as MLB turnes a blind eye, ill do the same...but let Rose in the Hall already if thats how its going to be.

And Number 3 will always be the homerun champ in my book because Bonds is a roid freak...Shit, he can hit 800 for all I care, I just want to see Pedro in a Mets uni at Fenway.

PS...A-Rod is a tick on the side of a........................
Old 02-20-2005, 12:57 AM
Quote:
And Number 3 will always be the homerun champ in my book
Don't you mean No. 44?
Old 02-20-2005, 02:41 AM

Alas...Bad Henry can't ever get any respect.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:39 AM
I just saw that they found Uggie Urbina's mother. That's great. I hope they find the rest of the low-lifes that kidnapped her.

Police disclose details of five-month ordeal

Associated Press

CARACAS, Venezuela -- Kidnappers holding the mother of Detroit Tigers pitcher Ugueth Urbina kept her in a dense jungle and surrounded the area with explosives to keep her from fleeing, police said Saturday.

Maura Villarreal was rescued Friday in a police raid that lasted eight hours and ended with one of her abductors dead, two captured and at least seven on the run. Villarreal, 54, was not harmed, police said Saturday while revealing new details of her ordeal.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:22 AM
OK, it's time for free's 2005 MLB predictions.

Division winners, Wild Card

N.L.

East: Braves, Marlins, Mets, Phillies, Nationals

Central: Cardinals, Cubs, Astros, Reds, Brewers, Pirates

West: Giants, Padres, Diamond Backs, Dodgers, Rockies

Cy Young: Mark Prior or Tim Hudson
MVP: Albert Pujols or Barry Bonds
ROY: Jeff Francis or Jose Capellan

A.L.

East: Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Devil Rays, Blue Jays

Central: Minnesota, Cleveland, Tigers, White Sox, Royals

West: Angels, Rangers, Mariners, A's

Cy Young: Curt Schilling or Randy Johnson
MVP: Alex Rodriguez or Vlad Guerrero
ROY: Dallas McPherson or Dan Meyer

Playoffs

NLDS
Braves over Cubs
Giants over Cardinals

NLCS
Braves over Giants

ALDS
Yankees over Minnesota
Angels over Red Sox

ALCS
Yankees over Angels

World Series
Yankees over Braves (damn it)
Old 02-22-2005, 05:52 AM

If we lose the Series to those store bought sons of bitches I will stick my head in an oven.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:18 PM
I heard this a while ago but had forgotten about it until recently, and I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not already in this thread. If it has, sorry about that.

Anyways, the Anaheim Angels are officially changing their name to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim this year. No, this is not a joke. (At least I don't think it is.)

There are so many things I can say about this but I'll just put it as follows:

What in God's name are they thinking?!? I just don't understand why a League would go out of it's way to lose credibility by allowing a ridiculous name like that. LMAO!!!
It doesn't even make any sense. Why not the New York Mets of New Jersey. Or the Green Bay Packers of Milwaukee.

WHY?!?!?!?!?!
Old 02-26-2005, 03:33 AM

I think they wanted to go back to "Los Angeles Angels" like they were in the early 60's when Dean Chance and Bo Belinsky were there, but Anaheim objected, so they came up with that nonsense and tried to pass it of as a compromise.

The general reaction so far is matching yours, so I doubt it'll fly.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:45 PM
Ah, the smell of the MLB in the air...

I'm back! A whole new year, a whole new Yankees, and the same Red Sox fan on the board to have friendly arguments with throughout the year!

Yankees are quite a bit rebuilt per say this year, but still stuck to some of their old guns by grabbing back Tino Martinez to 1st base and keeping Bernie Williams in center rather than going way over the top for Carlos Beltran, a player who will not do good on a big market team such as the Mets. He succeded on the Astros and Royals cause they are small market teams and he is a shy person and a good player, but timid and I don't know how he will do on a big market team with big media attention night after night. That, and the pressure to succeed on top of it all.

Being a die hard Yankee fan, and a loyal follower of the team (I try to catch all 160 games on TV or by going..) last year was fucking devestation. I mean don't let a Yankee fan tell you: oh who cares 26-5. Yes, maybe that's the case, but the Yankees fucking choked, plain and simple. When you're the biggest team in the history of sports and you're in the national pastime sport, you cannot choke on such a grand scale. It seems as if people have forgotten about it and it does annoy me. Honestly, the Yanks went out and bought some talent but I really do not think it was in vain, I think that they are in it to win it (like they always are), but if everyone can manage ot stay healthy...I think the Yanks have my early prediciton for at least the AL East, as well as the AL. Can't say the World Series in the preseason because you always have those god damn suprise teams that mess up everything!

Well, I'll stop now and let people reply. Maybe.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:28 PM
The Yankees are my pick to win the AL every year. They're tradition of excellence is unrivaled in all major sports.

I think people might overestimate the Red Sox a little this year, but they're still going to be a great team, and they've finally got respect. Add Sosa to the Orioles and you've got a pretty interesting AL East this year.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ChemicalRomance
Ah, the smell of the MLB in the air...

I'm back! A whole new year, a whole new Yankees, and the same Red Sox fan on the board to have friendly arguments with throughout the year!

Yankees are quite a bit rebuilt per say this year, but still stuck to some of their old guns by grabbing back Tino Martinez to 1st base and keeping Bernie Williams in center rather than going way over the top for Carlos Beltran, a player who will not do good on a big market team such as the Mets. He succeded on the Astros and Royals cause they are small market teams and he is a shy person and a good player, but timid and I don't know how he will do on a big market team with big media attention night after night. That, and the pressure to succeed on top of it all.

Being a die hard Yankee fan, and a loyal follower of the team (I try to catch all 160 games on TV or by going..) last year was fucking devestation. I mean don't let a Yankee fan tell you: oh who cares 26-5. Yes, maybe that's the case, but the Yankees fucking choked, plain and simple. When you're the biggest team in the history of sports and you're in the national pastime sport, you cannot choke on such a grand scale. It seems as if people have forgotten about it and it does annoy me. Honestly, the Yanks went out and bought some talent but I really do not think it was in vain, I think that they are in it to win it (like they always are), but if everyone can manage ot stay healthy...I think the Yanks have my early prediciton for at least the AL East, as well as the AL. Can't say the World Series in the preseason because you always have those god damn suprise teams that mess up everything!

Well, I'll stop now and let people reply. Maybe.

Only seems like days since we has this conversation...ahh yes is right, another Al East Title is on the line.

Im not going to bullshit anyone, the Yanks picked up a great pitcher and the Sox lost maybe the best pitcher ever. That alone isnt good. But the games must be played and the Red Sox have a stacked team that I think is ready to have an almost Patriot type run.

And yes, them Yanks, those same 26 Champ Yanks, are the team that will go down in history as giving way to the greatest chocking in the history of sports. Up 3-0....it never happened before. Im gonna rub it in till im blue in the face!!!

Cheers ChemicalRomance, here's to another fun season, and remember, no matter how heated thing get, its all in fun.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Haddonfield
Only seems like days since we has this conversation...ahh yes is right, another Al East Title is on the line.

Im not going to bullshit anyone, the Yanks picked up a great pitcher and the Sox lost maybe the best pitcher ever. That alone isnt good. But the games must be played and the Red Sox have a stacked team that I think is ready to have an almost Patriot type run.

And yes, them Yanks, those same 26 Champ Yanks, are the team that will go down in history as giving way to the greatest chocking in the history of sports. Up 3-0....it never happened before. Im gonna rub it in till im blue in the face!!!

Cheers ChemicalRomance, here's to another fun season, and remember, no matter how heated thing get, its all in fun.
Hello brother! Amen, it's all in good fun. Baseball, the best sport on earth, let's leave it's fan communication that way

I can't wait!!
Old 03-01-2005, 01:31 PM
hey, what about the jays?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:33 PM
I got the Jays winning the AL East this year and the Yanks/Sox failing to make the playoffs. That's right, I said it.

Tigers- 2005 World Series Champs!
Old 03-01-2005, 09:03 PM
The Braves have resigned Tim Hudson to a 4 year extention of his current contract which was scheduled to expire after this season.

It's nice to have the best rotation in Baseball again
Old 03-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Time for me to post my prediction for this season

I swear thought if the World Series is Yankees vs Braves I'm boycotting the damn thing

Wild Card Teams in italics

AL EAST
1. NY Yankees
2. Boston Red Sox
3. Toronto Blue Jays
4. Baltimore Orlioles
5. Tampa Bay Devil Rays

AL CENTRAL - Seriously who cares who wins this division.
1. Minnesota Twins
2. Cleveland Indians
3. Detroit Tigers
4. Chicago White Sox
5. Kansas City Royals

AL WEST
1. Anaheim Angels - I refuse to put Los Angeles Angels or fucking Anaheim it's stupid pick one god damn name and stick with it for once but I'm calling this team Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
2. Seattle Mariners
3. Texas Rangers
4. Oakland A's

NL EAST
1. Atlanta Braves
2. Florida Marlins
3. Philadelphia Phillies
4. New York Mets
5. Washington Nationals

NL CENTRAL
1. St. Louis Cardinals
2. Houston Astros
3. Chicago Cubs
4-6. Who cares the other 3 teams always suck in this division anyways

NL WEST
1. San Francisco Giants
2. Los Angeles Dodgers
3. San Diego Padres
4. Colorado Rockies
5. Arizona Diamondbacks

Other predictions later.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by daddiefatsacks
hey, what about the jays?
Who??

With Sosa now in this division, I forgot about them!
Old 03-05-2005, 02:07 AM
Quote:

AL CENTRAL - Seriously who cares who wins this division.
1. Minnesota Twins
2. Cleveland Indians
3. Detroit Tigers
4. Chicago White Sox
5. Kansas City Royals
HEY! Don't offend the Tigers fans.

My lousy predictions:

AL East:
1. New York Yankees
2. Boston Red Sox (Wild Card)
3. Baltimore Orioles
4. Toronto Blue Jays
5. Tampa Bay Devil Rays(in two years, there a playoff team)

AL Central:
1. Detroit Tigers(like I'm going against my own team)
2. Minnesota Twins
3. Cleveland Indians
4. Chicago White Sox
5. Kansas City Royals

AL West:
1. Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim(this name cracks me up)
2. Texas Rangers
3. Seattle Mariners
4. Oakland Athletics

Award Winners:
Cy Young- Roy Halladay
MVP- Carlos Guillen(robbed last year)
ROY- Not sure enough on this one

NL East:
1. Atlanta Braves
2. Florida Marlins(playoff team)
3. New York Mets
4. Washington Nationals
5. Philadelphia Phillies

NL Central:
1. Houstron Astros
2. St. Louis Cardinals
3. Chicago Cubs
4. Cincinatti Reds
5. Pittsburgh Pirates
6. Milauwakee Brewers

NL West:
1. Los Angeles Dodgers
2. San Francisco Giants
3. Arizona Diamondbacks
4. San Diego Padres
5. Colorado Rockies

Award Winners:
Cy Young- Jason Schmidt
MVP- JD Drew
ROY- Again, not sure.

And that's it for the non-conventional picks of the day.

Last edited by brodeurnumber1; 03-05-2005 at 12:20 PM..
Old 03-05-2005, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by brodeurnumber1
HEY! Don't offend the Tigers fans.

I don't mean to offend Tiger's fans or any other fans of the AL Central teams but in my opinion the AL Central winner is going to get killed by either the winner or the AL East or the AL West. Picking the winner of the AL Central is like picking the winner or the NBA's Atlantic division. It's not going to matter.

Back to my predictions part 2

AL MVP: Manny Ramirez
AL Cy Young: Roy Halladay
AL ROY: ?????

NL MVP: Pujols
NL CY Young: Tim Hudson
NL ROY ??????

ALCS: NY Yankees vs Anaheim Angels
NLCS: St. Louis Cardinals vs Florida Marlins

World Series: Anaheim Angels over Florida Marlins

Now for other predictions
Surprising Teams:
1. Seattle Mariners
2. If the AL Central winner makes it to the ALCS
3. If either Milwakee, Cincinnati, or Pittsburgh finish 3rd in the NL Central
Disapointing Teams:
1. New York Mets
2. Oakland A's.

Last edited by horrorfreak13; 03-05-2005 at 12:11 PM..
Old 03-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Quote:
I don't mean to offend Tiger's fans or any other fans of the AL Central teams but in my opinion the AL Central winner is going to get killed by either the winner or the AL East or the AL West. Picking the winner of the AL Central is like picking the winner or the NBA's Atlantic division. It's not going to matter.

I know, that was just sarcasm. I'm just saying that the Tigers will upset big this year, maybe not to the Series, but possibly the the CS.

My picks part 2(I forgot there was only one wild card, damn NFL):

AL Division Series: Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim over Detroit Tigers
New York Yankees over Boston Red Sox

NL Division Series: Los Angeles Dodgers over Atlanta Braves
Florida Marlins over Houston Astros

AL Championship Series: Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim over New York Yankees

NL Championship Series: Los Angeles Dodgers over Florida Marlins

World Series: Los Angeles Dodgers over Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim

Go battle of LA teams!
Old 03-11-2005, 10:35 AM
I like how everyone thinks the Cubs wont finish any higher than 3rd in the NL Central. I guess everyone has paid attention to the fact that they are one of, if not the BEST, teams in spring training right now. They've been on fire.

Only way they will finish 3rd like everyone is predicting is if they take a nose dive like they did last season. But with the whining cancer that was Sosa now gone, I dont forsee that happening.

Cubs all the way in 05! Kerry Wood for Cy Young!
Old 03-11-2005, 03:19 PM
spring training has no reflection on who will do good in the regular season, it's just players tuning up and players fighting for a roster spot.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:30 PM
I predict that the Braves will also re-name themselves for marketing purposes. The new name will be:

New York Braves of Boston in Atlanta

How about Ankiel giving up pitching to be an outfielder? I wish he would work more on the mental part of his game, because he had a chance to be great.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:14 PM
They could call themselves the Boston/Milwaukee Braves of Atlanta. That would be historically accurate.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Anyone else hear any rumours about a possible trade involving the Jays and the Brewers, with the jays landing BEN SHEETS!

I'd love for this to happen