Old 07-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenkiller View Post
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iBtkQoeaNCE&feature=related

I don't think an apology was necessary either. He shouldn't have really been surprised that he was going to be booed though. Playing in New York, our rival city, not to mention that their fans are probably about as bad as ours, though we DID boo Santa so...

Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Utley, Howard, and Hamels are better than The Yankees and The Mets combined.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Hamilton would have outdone Abreu if he had slugged a full second round. Let's see if Hamilton experiences a power outage as Abreu did following the HR derby.

Bourne, all of the teams you mentioned have gone or will go through losing streaks. If anything, this is a good sign for the Rays since this means that they will be playing well in late August/September. A losing streak in July is not catastrophic.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:11 AM
hey did you guys know josh hamilton used to be a drug addict, and ditched rehab how many times????

fuck, fox and espn loved to shove that shit in our faces all week
Old 07-16-2008, 02:06 AM
The fact that Billy Wagner is a Met makes me sad right now.

Still, it was a fun game to watch, though totally frustrating. J.D. Drew winning MVP = funny. He deserves it, but it's still funny.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Anyone get a tally on how many times Buck mentioned that Francona was out of bench players in the 8th and beyond? I thought the NL was actually going to win this time...damn.

Papelbon got booed big time and was on the hook for the loss until Wagner choked it out, they should have left Wilson in...although he shouldn't have even been on the team to begin with.

Cole Hamels being left off the team is a disaster...take away either Wagner or Wilson and replace with Hamels and it's a step up.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Wait, Rated R. Brian Wlson from the Giants? He's awful. I would put Hamels or Liceum(sp?) on the team instead.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Wow, what a game. One of the best all-star games I've ever seen, if not THE best. Top play of the game = Rivera striking out Ludwick, followed by Navarro throwing out Guzman.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Wow, what a game. One of the best all-star games I've ever seen, if not THE best. Top play of the game = Rivera striking out Ludwick, followed by Navarro throwing out Guzman.
I thought Ryan Dempster striking out the side was pretty impressive myself. So was Tejada's field and throw in the 10th was it? Still, Rivera looked sharp.

Yeah dudeman69, the only reason Wilson was there is because he leads the league in saves (NL not MLB). His ERA is halfway to 5 and he was considered a better choice than Hamels for some damn reason. Lunacy if you ask me. Hamels is the best lefty in the game, I would even take him over Sabathia by a hair. Before someone says Pettitte or Glavine, I want to note that I am referring to current quality not career.

As for Lincecum, he was on the roster but he went to the hospital with flu-like symptoms before the game.

That said, Wilson pitched great to two batters and Hurdle decided to go with Wagner against the lefty...didn't work.

Last edited by Rated R; 07-16-2008 at 02:39 PM..
Old 07-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
I thought Ryan Dempster striking out the side was pretty impressive myself. So was Tejada's field and throw in the 10th was it? Still, Rivera looked sharp.
Yeah, those were both great plays. It was just special seeing Rivera get that strikeout in the final possible All-Star game at Yankee Stadium and then Navarro nailing the guy stealing second, and then showing great emotion toward Rivera, showing that he has deep respect for him which is how it should be.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Well I'm glad everyone liked the all star game so well. I was working and didn't get a chance to watch it, well I watched the 12th inning and then went to bed. I just cant get excited about it. I would honestly rather just have a coin flip to determine home field advantage for World Series. There are just too many variables to let the winner determine home field advantage.

A-Rod and Manny weren't too worried, they left to attend post all-star game parties before the final out was even recorded. Is that "Manny being Manny"?

On to the real stuff, second half pennant races, that's what I'm stoked for!

I'm more of a National League fan, but dont bury the Rays yet just because they are on a losing skid. A long way to go yet.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:34 PM
I love the stretch run, it's one of the most exciting times in sports. I hope the races heat up considerably in the next while because really, only the Mariners, Nationals, Indians and maybe Pirates and Padres are out of it. Obviously the Royals don't stand much of a chance, but anyone can go on a run.

I would love to see the Cards take it to the Cubs...but really I'd rather see the Cubs lose than anything else. I hope they make it to the World Series, have the lead in game seven only to lose it at the last second...that would make my year.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Why do I get the hunch that Manny will not be in Boston much longer? Was something recently on the news or is it just me?
Old 07-17-2008, 04:46 PM
It seems as though there's always talk of Manny leaving Beantown, whether rumor or not. The most recent realistic scenario that I can recall was a trade for Magglio Ordonez a while back. I'm not sure there have been any serious rumblings lately, though.

Last edited by RicochetShaw; 07-17-2008 at 04:55 PM..
Old 07-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Quote:
I'd rather see the Cubs lose than anything else. I hope they make it to the World Series, have the lead in game seven only to lose it at the last second...that would make my year.
Kind of a sadist, aren't ya? What, a 100-year drought isn't enough?

I like the Cards, but I also like the Cubs...and I'd like to finally stop hearing about their plight (as we have those of the Red and White Sox). Of course, then the Indians will become the big talk for title droughts (over 60 years now). : ?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Quote:
I love the stretch run, it's one of the most exciting times in sports. I hope the races heat up considerably in the next while because really, only the Mariners, Nationals, Indians and maybe Pirates and Padres are out of it. Obviously the Royals don't stand much of a chance, but anyone can go on a run.

I would love to see the Cards take it to the Cubs...but really I'd rather see the Cubs lose than anything else. I hope they make it to the World Series, have the lead in game seven only to lose it at the last second...that would make my year.

You sir, have no soul.

Go Cubbies!
Old 07-18-2008, 08:53 AM
My loathing for the Cubs runs deep and I don't think I could explain it clearly if I tried, it's likely irrational. But it hurts extra this year seeing Jim Edmonds in a Cubs uni. That is just wrong, and I'm sure it took some Cubs fans a while to get used to as well.

I knew I'd get a response or two though from my "sadistic" views. Yeah, Cubs fans have suffered more than any fan should likely ever have to. Thing is, it's one of those stories that is shoved down our throats, baseball is notorious for finding a story within the game and exploiting it until it's hard to care about it anymore.

Every time the Cubs are mentioned now it is followed by the talk about the goat and the drought. It's irritating. Maybe I'm still reeling from the fact that no one seemed to care about the Cardinals winning the World Series. It's like it didn't even happen. Sure they fell ass backwards into the postseason, but they turned on the afterburners and played some excellent baseball. The NLCS against the Mets is one of the best postseason series' I've ever watched, only trumped by Sox-Yanks from two years earlier.

Remember though, the Cubs are pretty unlucky. The players change but the result is the same...something just goes wrong and I don't think this year will be any different.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Ramirez = soon to be former Red Sock. Epstein was fucking PISSED! That play was mucho fucking hilarious, but Manny pretty much just booked himself a ticket to another team in the near future.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:31 PM
He was supposed to be traded a long time ago. They would have to be stupid to trade him now. It would kill any chances of a repeat.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm just saying he's definitely gone at the end of the season. He doesn't seem to even care about how Boston does. Did you see the play last night? He was rolling around on the ground like a 2 year old and laughing about it. JP was PISSED.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Yeah, and I'm tired of the "Manny being Manny" excuse. I hope that he gets lashed in private for his lack of professionalism (like walking to first base on fly balls).
Old 07-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Remember though, the Cubs are pretty unlucky. The players change but the result is the same...something just goes wrong and I don't think this year will be any different.[/QUOTE]

Kerry Wood... on the DL... whaaaa?

Who would have thought that would happen?

I hope he's not down to long, the thought of Marmol closing games has me terrified. Especially the way he's been pitching lately. At least Soriano will be back this week.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:38 PM
(Mets bullpen, top of the 9th)

Johan Santana: Ok guys, first place is ours. Were up by 3 runs and the weak hitters are up. I've done my part, now you just need to close it out. There is no possible way you can fuck this up, right?

Met's bullpen: DUUUUUUUH!

Santana: Ok, now go out there and get me, I mean, the team a win!

Met's bullpen: DWAAAAAAAGHR!

(4 relievers, 5 hits, 6 runs, and one remarkable display of retardation later)

Met's bullpen: BULLPEN DO GOOD?

Santana: ...

Met's bullpen: HE NOT SPEAK! WE DO GOOD! YAAAAAAAAY!

Santana: I hate you fucking guys so much.

___

That game was so, so painful. Kind of makes me wish Wagner closed tonight, which is scary.

Last edited by TeeRay; 07-22-2008 at 10:42 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Yeah that must have been painful. While it wasn't quite as awful, the Cardinals blew one against Milwaukee last night too. Kyle Lohse was cruising again and it looked like he was going to take down his 13th victory. He gives up 3 in the 7th and 8th to tie the game and then Kyle McClellan came in and lost in the 9th.

Damn.

He pitched well enough to win and he deserved better from the offense. A quick lead and then nothing. Glaus went hitless, which is fine because he's been on fire lately. Pujols' power is down, I imagine he's hurt, but he's still getting on base. Guys like Ankiel and Duncan need to be more consistent. Ankiel is having a good season, but he's streaky...and really most of the team is outside of Albert Pujols.

Chris Duncan is trash.

This patchwork rotation has done an admirable job. Carpenter and Wainwright are coming back soon...I would love to see them sneak into the playoffs. I doubt they'll make a big trade, but they could use a shortstop better than Cesar Izturis.

I hate the Brewers...but not as much as I hate the Cubs.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Yankees 2008

Yankee fan here. Joba threw a shutout over Beckett and almost pegged Youkilis. Hello Bosox fans. We still remember Pedro hitting Jeter and Soriano. A big trade was made to fill two holes. We are on a 7 game winning streak. Let's hope they keep it up.

Go Yankees!
Old 07-26-2008, 11:54 AM
FINALLY! I believe there is only one other Yanks fan that comes to this section of the forums besides you and me. People have been doubting them all year long, but look where they are now. Just won 7 straight games, just got some huge pickups, only 2 games behind the Red Sox.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:50 AM
I respect the Yankees for their visit to Virginia Tech earlier this year. Being a VT grad and seeing them honor those who died in last year's tragedy show the class the organization has.

Other than that, I can't stand the bastards.

Last edited by bigred760; 07-28-2008 at 06:27 PM..
Old 07-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Mark Teixeira to the Angels for Casey Kotchman and minor league pitcher Stephen Marek.

If the Angels tank...which I expect at some point, possibly the first round of the postseason this move will look ridiculous. It's doubtful they will re-sign him so it's a win now or bust type of move. Then again they gave up Kotchman who is not a great player but he is getting better each year, and it's impossible to know if Marek will pan out. Either way, I like the deal for the Braves as they get something instead of letting him walk.

I still don't think the Angels win the series.

John Lackey lost a no-hitter in the ninth last night. Still won the game, but took the no no to the brink.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 AM
So the Braves are now without Teixeira, Chipper, McCann, Smoltz, Hudson, and Glavine . . . they're looking more and more like the Richmond Braves instead of the Atlanta Braves.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:29 PM
The Yankees and Tigers have just made a trade. Kyle Farnsworth will be headed to the Tigers in exchange for Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez.

Being a Yankees fan, I'm not really sure quite what to think.

Positives:

-Pudge is having a solid season, hitting nearly .300

-Although Jose Molina is an excellent catcher, and can throw out base stealers like its nothing, so can Pudge, and Pudge can hit much, much better.

-He has plenty of experience and is an all around good guy to have around the clubhouse.

-He will officially complete a Yankees line-up, leaving no holes whatsoever. The only minor hole now being Melky Cabrera who by statistics is a much better August and September hitter. Potentially, the Yankees 7th and 8th hitters could be hitting .330 (Nady) and .300 (Pudge).

Negatives:

-The Yankees bullpen has been nearly flawless lately (with the exception of two games this week), and Farnsworth has been a key to that flawless bullpen.

-Farnsworth has had an excellent season this year, his best as a Yankee, and he was just starting to get confident and the fans and coaches starting to appreciate him.

-The Yankees have two other catchers in Jose Molina, and Chad Moeller. Moeller will probably be sent back down to the minors, which would mean the Yankees would most likely have to make a deal to get another starting pitcher. Darrell Rasner's only win without Moeller behind the plate came from a start with Jorge Posada behind the plate. Without Moeller behind the plate, Rasner struggles.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Quote:
FINALLY! I believe there is only one other Yanks fan that comes to this section of the forums besides you and me. People have been doubting them all year long, but look where they are now. Just won 7 straight games, just got some huge pickups, only 2 games behind the Red Sox.
*waves hand*

That would be yours truly. I'm both of those things: Yankee fan and someone who's doubted their postseason potential all year. Believe it or not, I'm still the latter in spite of NY's post-AS break tear. Yes, they've played themselves back into the pennant race (a feat aided considerably by a Rays losing streak and the Angels' ownage of the Sox), and if they keep it close - maybe, just maybe - they can sneak into either the wild card or first place.

Beyond that, I have little confidence in how far they'll go. I don't think the starting pitching will hold up in a short series, especially against any of the AL contenders.

One last Yankee note: Where the fuck did this Pudge trade come from? I kinda thought Farnsworth was expendable especially with both Veras and Marte now in the pen, but...sheesh. Moreover, are the Tigers now sellers all of a sudden? I mean they're only six games out.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilHenchman View Post
Yankee fan and someone who's doubted their postseason potential all year. Believe it or not, I'm still the latter in spite of NY's post-AS break tear. Yes, they've played themselves back into the pennant race (a feat aided considerably by a Rays losing streak and the Angels' ownage of the Sox), and if they keep it close - maybe, just maybe - they can sneak into either the wild card or first place.
Keep in mind, the Rays have two nine-game road stretches which consist of some very tough teams. They also have 12 games in September vs. the Yankees and Red Sox, 6 of which are on the road. The Rays have proven that they are a terrible team on the road, and it will end up being the nail in the coffin. They will not make the playoffs. The Yankees right now are only 1.5 games behind the Red Sox. I'm not saying it's a guarantee that they make the playoffs, but they have a damn good chance. I'd really like to see them pick up another starting pitcher before the trade deadline. That would be ideal, since Ponson's luck streak has finally worn out.

Quote:
Beyond that, I have little confidence in how far they'll go. I don't think the starting pitching will hold up in a short series, especially against any of the AL contenders.
I don't know about that. As you saw the other night Chamberlain can pitch in the biggest games against the best (Josh Beckett). Pettite was robbed of a win last year in the playoffs and is nearly a definite win in the post-season. Mussina had a bad game the other night, but has been lights out other than that, and is also a big game pitcher. I don't know, only time will tell. Hopefully Wang will be back by September, that would be huge. And hopefully when Phil Hughes comes back in a week or so, he will return to the form he was at at the end of last season.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Quote:

Positives:

-Pudge is having a solid season, hitting nearly .300

-Although Jose Molina is an excellent catcher, and can throw out base stealers like its nothing, so can Pudge, and Pudge can hit much, much better.

-He has plenty of experience and is an all around good guy to have around the clubhouse.

-He will officially complete a Yankees line-up, leaving no holes whatsoever. The only minor hole now being Melky Cabrera who by statistics is a much better August and September hitter. Potentially, the Yankees 7th and 8th hitters could be hitting .330 (Nady) and .300 (Pudge).
The biggest positive is Pudge's ability to call games. Seriously, he's the best catcher a young pitcher can ask for. He calls flawless games, and I think it'll be a huge boost for Chamberlain and Hughes (once he comes back). It was a no brainer in my mind, even though Farnsworth had been effective lately.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:42 PM
the A's should fire Billy Beane.

It was hard to see him trade away most of the A's good players last off-season but as an A's fan you understand why he did that but now it seems liek he's fallen in love too much with getting rid of players. the only reason the A's are good is partly because of talent but mostly because they play together as a team so you go and trade away the best pitcher they have at mid-season its not going to go well with the players. then you trade away another main piece of the team (blanton) and now the clubhouse is in a mess. players seem afraid to perform from fear that they will get traded (site Crosby and Chavez's times on the DL). and knowing Billy Beane's history that's exactly what he's going to do. what does he want for all the A's fans to go and buy a jersey with his name on it? he should realize that he's not the only one watching them play and to do that sends a bad message to the team. 'be losers, were counting on it'. he reminds me of the owner from the Indians team in that movie Major League. when the team does good he tries to find ways to make them worse. maybe he's trying to move the team. I'm not sure what the deal is but the A's were around 5 games out of first place when he made the Harden trade now they are 14 games back and counting. and fuck all that bullshit about the future. the future could have been now. I really think the A's were one hitter away from being a great team so instead of getting that one bat he got rid of the reason to get the bat they needed. Maybe he's just fallen in love with the whole trading thing, I dont know but that doesnt make sense to me. Harden was still signed through next year so he could have waited until the off-season to trade him. he just ripped off his own team from the opportunity to succeed. in other words,he's not doing his job.
With Harden and Duscherer the A's had one of the best one-two punches in the game. most series are only three games and those two pitchers give you a great chance to win every time they pitch so stretch that out for a whole season and you had to like the A's chances to at least make the wild card. now they are going to struggle just to stay above .500.

Last edited by silentasylum; 07-30-2008 at 10:46 PM..
Old 07-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Looks as though Manny is definitely going to be traded.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:13 AM

Griffey to White Sox Pending Jr.'s Approval......

APPROVED BY GRIFFEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by veddhead83; 07-31-2008 at 11:31 AM..
Old 07-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Good for Jr. He deserves to be on a winning team. Boston trading Manny is incredibly stupid, but they're getting Jason Bay. They might do just fine without Manny, and Florida might actually start selling tickets. I hate to say it, but the Yankess have purchased themselves one hell of a line-up. Then again, they had one hell of a line-up last year only to fold in the postseason.

I'm disappointed that the Rays didn't go after Griffey. They need one more bat.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Looks as though Manny is definitely going to be traded.
ESPN still has the chances at 50/50. Of course, I have no idea where it was before . . . so the chances might have actually gone up.

And good for Griffey; the guy looks to be 100% healthy and is having a pretty good year. I'll keep an eye on the White Sox now just to see how he's doing.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:52 PM
He certainly still has the talent to play, but I wouldn't say he's having all that good of a year. His numbers are all down from career totals...although Cincy has killed him.

AVG. .245
HR 15
RBI 53
SB 0 (not surprising in the Cincinnati context but his last season in Seattle he stole 24 bases. Since then the most he's gotten in a season is 6.)

Love Griffey, first ballot hall of famer but man I have never been so depressed by an athlete. Why does his career fly off the tracks when Barry Bonds was able to break the home run record? Should have been the other way around.

I'm mostly concerned about his batting average. While the White Sox can kill the ball, they're also prone to long slumps. Thome, Swisher, Konerko and Crede have looked like junk at times and all stars at others. There was a stretch about a month ago where Swish just started killing the ball and then he fell back down to the sewer.

My question is who goes to the bench? Obviously Dye and Quentin keep their outfield jobs and Griffey joins them. So my bet is they trade either Swisher or Konerko by the end of the day and the other stays to play first. Otherwise they platoon and I don't see that helping chemistry.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Why does his career fly off the tracks when Barry Bonds was able to break the home run record? Should have been the other way around.
Do you really need to ask that question? One cheated, the other didn't. Pretty simple
Old 07-31-2008, 02:10 PM
I could see Konerko being traded. 15 homers is a respectable statistic for a 38-year-old. Griffey still has it. Perhaps switching leagues will bolster his batting average.