Old 08-07-2008, 05:03 PM
oh you yankee fans and your logic

*shakes head*
Old 08-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Old 08-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Goddamn the Angels are kickass.

That is all.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:54 PM
I just watched the last three innings of that game, and yeah, they do. They're good, very good.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Yeah, the Yankees fucking blew that one. They are digging themselves deeper and deeper. I just can't see them making the playoffs now. It was looking good after that post-all-star game stretch, but since then they have been hit or miss. It's a shame the Yanks bullpen blew it, because Giese completely out-pitched Lackey.

Anyways, the Yankees might not make it, but I'm still saying that the Rays don't make the playoffs.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post

Anyways, the Yankees might not make it, but I'm still saying that the Rays don't make the playoffs.

The stats beg to differ
Old 08-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeman69 View Post
The stats beg to differ
There is a whole lot of baseball left to play. If you think the Rays are going to take the division with ease, think again my friend. They can barely beat Seattle for crying out loud. I would be surprised if the Rays won the division. If they do though, I give them mad props. I just can't see it though.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Quote:
oh you yankee fans and your logic

*shakes head*
It comes with those 26 World Series'.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Quote:
It comes with those 26 World Series'.
Hmm. More like 5
Old 08-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Hmm. More like 5
Sure you're not thinking of the Red Sox? They won 5, 80 or so years before their recent 2.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:31 PM
But damn those Angels announcers suck anal bead. They said last night that no team could beat the Angels. No team in the league. Even if the Yankees had Babe Ruth in the line-up they wouldn't be able to beat them. I'm all for a little broadcast bias, but the Angels announcers take it to another extreme. I thought the Blue Jays announcers were bad, but the Angels announcers are a couple of cunts. Jered Weaver (who is pretty terrible BTW) gave up like 5 or so runs and was pitching like shit, and they were going on about how fucking great he was, and how great he was pitching in that particular game.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Quote:
But damn those Angels announcers suck anal bead. They said last night that no team could beat the Angels. No team in the league. Even if the Yankees had Babe Ruth in the line-up they wouldn't be able to beat them. I'm all for a little broadcast bias, but the Angels announcers take it to another extreme. I thought the Blue Jays announcers were bad, but the Angels announcers are a couple of cunts.
Well, The Angels have the better team than the Yankees.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Yes, but does that give the announcers the right to shit on all other teams and deem the Angels World Series champs? No. I'm sure if they were playing your Rays you'd agree with me.

Let's not forget how stunning the Angels were last year, only to get ass raped by the Sox in the first round.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Agreed. Emphasis on the "team" part.

The Yankees right now look like a beginner's fantasy roster.

Eh. I don't really mean that. I'm still a little sore after seeing them give up fucking 8 or so runs in an inning.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Yes, but does that give the announcers the right to shit on all other teams and deem the Angels World Series champs? No. I'm sure if they were playing your Rays you'd agree with me.
god you take things way too personal.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Quote:
god you take things way too personal.
Not at all, it just pisses me off to sit down for 3 hours to watch something that I enjoy watching, and be annoyed to shit by a couple of fucking jerk off announcers who don't know a thing about baseball. After 3 innings last night, I muted it, and turned on the 'ol IPod.

Thankfully today, Fox broadcasted the game, so I could watch in peace with a couple of announcers who actually know what the fuck they're talking about.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:24 PM
The perfect playoff picture would be this:

AL East Winner: Rays; AL Central Winner: Twins; AL West Winner: Angels (don't really have a choice at this point); Wild Card: White Sox

NL East Winner: Phillies or Marlins; NL Central Winner: Cubs; NL West Winner: Diamondbacks; Wild Card: Cardinals, Phillies, or Marlins

No Red Sox...no Yankees...no Mets...no Dodgers.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:31 PM
That would be the most boring playoffs in history.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Thankfully today, Fox broadcasted the game, so I could watch in peace with a couple of announcers who actually know what the fuck they're talking about.
That's funny...I watched that game on FOX and heard Brennaman and McCarver...

Thanks, I'll be here all week

So, Joe Girardi rode a promising young pitcher straight onto the DL and serious injury. Who could have possibly forseen such a thing...
Old 08-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
That's funny...I watched that game on FOX and heard Brennaman and McCarver...

Thanks, I'll be here all week
Your point being???

Quote:
So, Joe Girardi rode a promising young pitcher straight onto the DL and serious injury. Who could have possibly forseen such a thing...
Are you shitting me? He babied him all year, limiting him to very few pitches each start, working his way up. He handled it very well, and I actually thought he could have left him in longer in some of the starts. It's unfortunate that he has an injury, but I doubt it was because Girardi pushed him too hard. That's the last thing Girardi has done this year.

So I really hope you weren't serious, because if you were you are wrong. What was Girardi going to do? Limit him to 5 pitches a game?
Old 08-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Quote:
That would be the most boring playoffs in history.
Ha, yeah. I getcha.

And it would probably be a fairly dim playoff race, ratings wise. Which would be a shame, since the best baseball being played is by the "smaller" market teams. The Angels (even though I hate watching them against our bombers) are always exciting. And a postseason showdown between the Rays and Angels, with Maddon trying to beat Scioscia at his own game? Fuggedaboudit.

And the West, with the slugging Phillies, the Cubs, and the Brewers (not sure why hoojib left them out of the wild card picture...), there's a lot of solid competition on both sides of the league.

So, I think casual baseball fans might be in for a real treat this postseason if the Sawx and the Yanks aren't around to gobble up all of the hype and attention.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Not at all, it just pisses me off to sit down for 3 hours to watch something that I enjoy watching, and be annoyed to shit by a couple of fucking jerk off announcers who don't know a thing about baseball. After 3 innings last night, I muted it, and turned on the 'ol IPod.

Well they can't all be Michael Kay now can they?

I wish the Giants had a better team, I enjoy Krukow and Kiper more than most tandems and even though he's lost a step, Vin Scully is still damn good to listen to on Dodgers telecasts.

If only Dan Shulman could call every baseball game ever.

Mccarver and Brenneman and Morgan (obvious) are terrible. The Blue Jays guys are awful too. Joe Buck should disappear. For the most part I loathe sports broadcasters, with only a few being worth listening to. Shulman is the best in the business.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
Well they can't all be Michael Kay now can they?
You haven't heard the Angels announcers, have you? Obviously every broadcasting team is going to be biased, because most of the people watching are fans of that particular team, but there's a fine line between bias and deeming a team the greatest baseball team of all-time, saying that no other team has a CHANCE of beating them, and then repeating it over and over and over again.

At least Michael Kay actually talks about the other team once in a while, instead of saying Vladimir Guerrero is better than Babe Ruth.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Quote:
You haven't heard the Angels announcers, have you? Obviously every broadcasting team is going to be biased, because most of the people watching are fans of that particular team, but there's a fine line between bias and deeming a team the greatest baseball team of all-time, saying that no other team has a CHANCE of beating them, and then repeating it over and over and over again.

At least Michael Kay actually talks about the other team once in a while, instead of saying Vladimir Guerrero is better than Babe Ruth.
Actually Michael Kay has grown on me. He's more knowledgeable than most of the hack jobs out there. I just hate the jackasses he has with him. Paul O'Neill says some of the most asinine things I've ever heard on a broadcast. Right up there with Joe Morgan. But Kay isn't bad, I just knew it'd get a rise out of you.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Well personally I like Len Kasper and Bob Brenly, not to Bias, always entertaining, always make me laugh, and always have good topics.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo_super1! View Post
Well personally I like Len Kasper and Bob Brenly, not to Bias, always entertaining, always make me laugh, and always have good topics.
Hate the Cubs, like the broadcasters.

I also love listening to Mark Grace and Daron Sutton of the Diamondbacks broadcast.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Hate the Cubs, like the broadcasters.

I also love listening to Mark Grace and Daron Sutton of the Diamondbacks broadcast.
Same with me, I'm a yankees fan. But my brother's a huge Cubs fan and always watches their games.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Sometimes I wish that my Mariners would disappear off the face of the Earth, so that I could hide my shame. Hopefully, some good future planning can come into affect. Silva went off on a tangent about guys padding their stats now instead of trying to win, it'll be interesting to see what sort of effect that has in the long run. Of course, maybe if he tried padding HIS stats a little then the team could get somewhere. I kid! I kid!

Bourne, I totally understand your logic, but I just don't think the Rays are as bad on the road as you think. They had the Mariners on a silverplatter this weekend, but even before this series they were just shy of the same road record as the Yankees for tops in the AL east. I don't know who would like playing on the road, seeing as how only five MLB clubs have a winning record away from home.

It's going to be a really good stretch drive, but I think it would take a collapse of Mets proportions to keep the Rays out of the playoffs.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHutch23 View Post
They had the Mariners on a silverplatter this weekend
That isn't exactly the team that is going to take them down though. I am now starting to think that the Rays will make the playoffs. I'm not certain, but they have a definite shot. A much better chance than the Yankees, who although I'm not counting out just yet (as I am a loyal fan and I've seen some crazy shit happen before) have a MINIMAL chance of making the playoffs. The telling tale in showing just how good the Rays are will be now when they have Oakland on the road, Texas on the road, the Angels at home, followed by the White Sox on the road. If they have a winning, or even a tying record in those 12 games, I will officially extinguish my guarantee that they won't make the playoffs.

But have people forgotten about the Red Sox? 4.5 games behind TB, but the Red Sox schedule is insanely easy for the rest of the season, while the Rays have a pretty tough schedule for the rest of the season. Not to mention they play each other 6 more times, which can always be a huge factor down the stretch.

Last edited by Bourne101; 08-10-2008 at 06:31 PM..
Old 08-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Win. Beg to differ, however, on Kay's "jackass" counterparts. Ken Singleton's pretty levelheaded and tolerable. The others, eh.

Loathe for me to admit, I'm also partial to Jerry Remy on Boston games. Few in the biz can go off on pointless, yet amusing tangents better than the Remdawg.

I also like the Chi Sox guys.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Quote:
That isn't exactly the team that is going to take them down though. I am now starting to think that the Rays will make the playoffs. I'm not certain, but they have a definite shot. A much better chance than the Yankees, who although I'm not counting out just yet (as I am a loyal fan and I've seen some crazy shit happen before) have a MINIMAL chance of making the playoffs. The telling tale in showing just how good the Rays are will be now when they have Oakland on the road, Texas on the road, the Angels at home, followed by the White Sox on the road. If they have a winning, or even a tying record in those 12 games, I will officially extinguish my guarantee that they won't make the playoffs.
My point exactly. Can't gauge road prowess when they player the Submariners, hence those wins were pretty much wrapped in a giftbag.

It's so exhausting to watch a team that can score 11 runs in an inning (Versus Minnesota earlier in the week) yet can't even show near HALF of that amount of productivity over the course of a season. Get me 200cc of consistency, STAT!
Old 08-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilHenchman View Post
I also like the Chi Sox guys.
I dunno. One of them is good, but one of them also has a saying which he repeats over and over and over and over and over again.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHutch23 View Post
My point exactly. Can't gauge road prowess when they player the Submariners, hence those wins were pretty much wrapped in a giftbag.

It's so exhausting to watch a team that can score 11 runs in an inning (Versus Minnesota earlier in the week) yet can't even show near HALF of that amount of productivity over the course of a season. Get me 200cc of consistency, STAT!
But now they have Texas, Oakland, LA, and Chicago. And just because Texas and Oakland aren't in the hunt (although Texas is crawling up a bit in the wild card) doesn't mean they are pushovers, especially when they are playing at home. If Texas' pitching is even remotely decent, their chances of winning are pretty damn high.

I think the Rays are going to have it rough in these next 12 games, but only time will tell. If they can stick it out and go 6-6 or better, I will extinguish my previous guarantee.

Last edited by Bourne101; 08-10-2008 at 06:41 PM..
Old 08-10-2008, 06:41 PM
On a sidenote, does TB still have that mulletted fat pig (Brian Knobbs) at their home games?

Might be a homer, but I am very partial to Dave Niehaus and Rick Rizz for the Mariners' broadcasts. And to help demonstrate, here's a classic clip from Almost Live!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QucUdihCe9E
Old 08-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Quote:
But now they have Texas, Oakland, LA, and Chicago. And just because Texas and Oakland aren't in the hunt (although Texas is crawling up a bit in the wild card) doesn't mean they are pushovers, especially when they are playing at home. If Texas' pitching is even remotely decent, their chances of winning are pretty damn high.

I think the Rays are going to have it rough in these next 12 games, but only time will tell. If they can stick it out and go 6-6 or better, I will extinguish my previous guarantee.
Oakland could surprise, but if momentum affects the series then the A's will need to win first. They're 1-9 in August so far, while the Rays are 8-2. If B chokes on the road, it may be good fortune that they follow up with Toronto at home, and the Jays have been owned by the Rays this year (TB is 9-3 overall) not to mention that they lose twice as much as they win at Tropicana Field.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Your point being???
That Brennaman and McCarver are clueless assholes, not "a couple of announcers who actually know what the fuck they're talking about." I'll grant you that the regular Angels team of Physioc and Rex Hudler would try the Dalai Lama's patience, but those two are no better.
Quote:
So I really hope you weren't serious, because if you were you are wrong.
I was entirely serious. You can't convert a setup guy, especially a young one, to a starter immediately. It has to be a gradual process and in his last few starts, Chamberlain has been around the 100 pitch mark. They took a major gamble in pressing him, at his age and level of development, into the rotation because they needed an arm there, a gamble that's blown up in their faces.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Quote:
I was entirely serious. You can't convert a setup guy, especially a young one, to a starter immediately. It has to be a gradual process and in his last few starts, Chamberlain has been around the 100 pitch mark. They took a major gamble in pressing him, at his age and level of development, into the rotation because they needed an arm there, a gamble that's blown up in their faces.
Have you followed Chamberlain at all? They made it as gradual as fucking possible, and he only threw over 100 pitches once or twice. Did you know he was always a starter in the minors, and came up to the Yankees last year where they already had a full rotation and it was so late in the season? That's the only reason he didn't start last year. Then they very, very slowly and gradually brought him up to the starting position and back to the position where he has pitched his whole life.

So don't give me this "They worked him too hard" shit. He's been throwing 95-100 for years, and has always been a starter. Prolonging his return to starting again would not have prevented the injury.

Last edited by Bourne101; 08-10-2008 at 08:07 PM..
Old 08-11-2008, 02:49 AM
First off, I'm not getting into a shouting match with you. I can handle that you disagree with me, but your tone isn't making me want to have any sort of rational discussion with you.

Secondly, Girardi has a bad track record in this regard. Several young starters from his Marlins rotation suffered serious injuries in his year there and are just now returning to action.

Thirdly, I wrote "around 100 pitches." He's thrown more than 90 in all but his first two starts. He's thrown over 100 five times, not one or two.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi...&t=p&year=2008

Personally, I think his stuff is better suited to the pen, but that's neither here nor there. There has always been concern over his arm (which is a major reason he fell to 41st in the draft in the first place) and there was a pretty strict regimen put in place last year to keep him from being overused.

I don't dispute that he was being groomed for eventual inclusion in the rotation, but if you look at the rather steep curve upward his pitch count took this year, I see cause for alarm from almost any 22 year old, especially one with a dicey history.

Hank Steinbrenner is at least as much to blame for this with all of his ridiculous blustering about putting him in the rotation immediately, but if Girardi isn't the clueless dope I think he is, he needs to put his foot down and run the team and his staff like there is more to the future than the next 7 days.

Last edited by Buck Turgidson; 08-11-2008 at 02:53 AM..
Old 08-11-2008, 05:31 PM
The Rays have lost Longoria and Crawford for a large chunk of time on the DL. If they go 6-6 or better in their next 12 games, I may declare them World Series Champions.

Last edited by Bourne101; 08-11-2008 at 06:36 PM..
Old 08-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilHenchman View Post
the Brewers (not sure why hoojib left them out of the wild card picture...)
Just because I'd rather see one of the other 3 teams I mentioned clinch the NL wild card.