Old 08-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
The Rays have lost Longoria and Crawford for a large chunk of time on the DL. If they go 6-6 or better in their next 12 games, I may declare them World Series Champions.
Oh, Pena will most def pick up the slack. Don't you worry.

BTW, didn't anybody shit themselves when the Dbacks got Dunn?
Old 08-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeman69 View Post
BTW, didn't anybody shit themselves when the Dbacks got Dunn?
I was surprised I think Arizona needed to do something after the Dodgers got Manny Ramirez.

Now to add my 2 cents on wether I think Tampa Bay/Yankees debate

This is the first adversity that the Rays have faced this year losing Crawford and Longoria for at least 2 weeks and the both of them have been their best players this year now.

The make or brake it for this team will be between Sep 2. to Sep 21 they play the following teams in order

vs NY Yankees(3)
@Toronto(3)
@Boston(3)
@Yankees(3)
vs Boston(3)
vs Minnesota(4)

Now with the Yankees losing tonight to Minnesota if they get swept by them the Yankees it could be bye-bye.

BTW Since nobody talk about Minnesota even the media dosen't either how about the way they are playing they could end up with the wild card and possibly no Red Sox or Yankees.

Now me personally I would love to see that just to shove FOX's stupid rating up their ass. I doubt MLB will let this happen.

Oh and nice Mets bullpin blow another game. Man I think the Starting pitchers are going to murder that bullpin soon dosen't Santana have like 8 or 9 no decisions this year because of that bullpin.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfreak13 View Post
Oh and nice Mets bullpin blow another game. Man I think the Starting pitchers are going to murder that bullpin soon dosen't Santana have like 8 or 9 no decisions this year because of that bullpin.
Santana should have double-digit wins right now, but the Mets bullpen, you know, sucks. Fucking Aaron Heilman.

John Maine is now the closer. It sucks that were losing a good starter, but I think Maine will really shine in the closer role.

If they lose to the Nationals, all hope for the season is lost.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:59 AM
I think the Mets will be lucky to get in the playoffs. They just don't seem to have it in them. TeeRay, you've watched them all season and it's just not clicking for some reason. Beltran has been pretty awful, the bullpen is a joke, the rotation isn't the stalwart of stability it was expected to be, etc.

I will say this, despite a slow start Carlos Delgado is putting up nice numbers. The first month-plus, his career looked to be over and he's now up to 25 homers on the season. The guy is hitting .343 since the all star break with 19 RBI! Good to see because he is one of the most likable guys in the game.

They suffer from a similar problem that plagues the Blue Jays, only not quite as bad. I guess it could be argued that it's worse because their offense is much better on paper. They don't get a complete team performance. One guy will have a great night, go 3/4 and get into scoring position but no one will bring him in. It's maddening for fans and probably worse for the players. The Dodgers were also in this boat but it seems to be shifting with the addition of Manny (that's the kind of player he is, like him or not).

I feel bad for Ryan Church, he was having a breakout year before the concussion. He and Reyes are the only hitters with a .300 batting average.
I still think David Wright is the best player on this team.

What they needed was to be so far out of the race at the break to consider trading guys like Beltran and Delgado for young guys to build on for the next couple years, notable pitching and hopefully an outfielder. But they were close, hell they were on top but it's a charade. I wouldn't be surprised if the Marlins finish ahead of them.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Quote:

BTW Since nobody talk about Minnesota even the media dosen't either how about the way they are playing they could end up with the wild card and possibly no Red Sox or Yankees.

Now me personally I would love to see that just to shove FOX's stupid rating up their ass. I doubt MLB will let this happen.
No shit eh? I was reading Deadspin's live Sportscenter blog yesterday. There was a full plate of games on Sunday, or close to it and Sportscenter went through the highlights of the Red Sox and Yankees games twice...TWICE before showing anything from the rest of the league.

How can this change? Yes they are the biggest media market, but come on. There are fans elsewhere too and contrary to popular belief, not everyone in New England and New York are Sawx and Yanks fans. Most, not all (Apologies to Mets fans).

Minnesota is a good squad, hell really good. I picked them to finish last in the Central and I have expected them to collapse all season. Even now I don't see them competing down the stretch, but I hope they do.

We need a mass exodus from the usual suspects in the MLB postseason and we're at least on the verge of some fresh blood. It should be an interesting race, I just hope this isn't all a tease before the harsh reality sets in.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
No shit eh? I was reading Deadspin's live Sportscenter blog yesterday. There was a full plate of games on Sunday, or close to it and Sportscenter went through the highlights of the Red Sox and Yankees games twice...TWICE before showing anything from the rest of the league.

How can this change? Yes they are the biggest media market, but come on. There are fans elsewhere too and contrary to popular belief, not everyone in New England and New York are Sawx and Yanks fans. Most, not all (Apologies to Mets fans).

Minnesota is a good squad, hell really good. I picked them to finish last in the Central and I have expected them to collapse all season. Even now I don't see them competing down the stretch, but I hope they do.

We need a mass exodus from the usual suspects in the MLB postseason and we're at least on the verge of some fresh blood. It should be an interesting race, I just hope this isn't all a tease before the harsh reality sets in.
I would love a Chicago, Minnesota, Anahiem, Tampa AL Playoffs
Old 08-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Man, the Reds are the new Royals (although they have stiff competition from the Braves and the Pirates). I understand freeing up cap space, but Christ...what a message to send to the fans. "Don't bother coming to the games for the next 2-3 seasons! But don't forget to buy our merchandise!"

Despite the Dunn trade, I think that the Dodgers will take the division.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Quote:
I can definitely see my Twins making the playoffs...but without both Michael Cuddyer and Pat Neshek on our postseason roster, I don't see us getting that far. We should be an even bigger force to be reckoned with next year, though...especially if we pick can up a right-handed power bat who can hit lefties...and remove the rest of our dead weight (i.e. Adam Everett, Nick Punto, Mike Lamb, Boof Bonser, and Brian Bass). And hopefully our rash of freak finger/hand injuries will end with this year.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:39 PM
I just want the twins to win so bad this year over the sox, maybe its i am feeling in a underdog mood this year.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:18 AM
Quote:
I think the Mets will be lucky to get in the playoffs. They just don't seem to have it in them. TeeRay, you've watched them all season and it's just not clicking for some reason. Beltran has been pretty awful, the bullpen is a joke, the rotation isn't the stalwart of stability it was expected to be, etc.

It is confusing how they are not clicking. They have guys who can certainly slug the ball, but too often they choke when they really need to deliver. It's not just certain players, it's been every player. Their bullpen really does suck. Even Wagner has been bad. He may have the most saves but he's blown at least 7, and has come close to blowing it several other times. As for Beltran, I like the guy, but he's been stumbling lately.

I will say this, despite a slow start Carlos Delgado is putting up nice numbers. The first month-plus, his career looked to be over and he's now up to 25 homers on the season. The guy is hitting .343 since the all star break with 19 RBI! Good to see because he is one of the most likable guys in the game.

I have a friend who hates Delgado, but at this point I really can't see how. When you have a player that hits homers that cameras lose track of (this was against the Reds), it's hard to complain.

They suffer from a similar problem that plagues the Blue Jays, only not quite as bad. I guess it could be argued that it's worse because their offense is much better on paper. They don't get a complete team performance. One guy will have a great night, go 3/4 and get into scoring position but no one will bring him in. It's maddening for fans and probably worse for the players. The Dodgers were also in this boat but it seems to be shifting with the addition of Manny (that's the kind of player he is, like him or not).

I've noticed that a lot of times it's just been bad luck on the Mets part. David Wright or Delgado will get some distance but it's thiiiiiis close to being a home run. I like to use that excuse, but the reality is the Mets struggle in clutch situations.

I feel bad for Ryan Church, he was having a breakout year before the concussion. He and Reyes are the only hitters with a .300 batting average.
I still think David Wright is the best player on this team.

You forgot to mention Fernando Tatis. He's easily been the biggest surprise on the team. In July his average was .397 with 6 home runs, and 18 RBIs.

What they needed was to be so far out of the race at the break to consider trading guys like Beltran and Delgado for young guys to build on for the next couple years, notable pitching and hopefully an outfielder. But they were close, hell they were on top but it's a charade. I wouldn't be surprised if the Marlins finish ahead of them.

I think the Mets still have a shot at the playoffs, providing the bullpen gets their shit together and the rotation hits like they did before the All-Star break. However, if they do make the playoffs, I don't think they would last very long. All I can do his hope.

And they should get rid of Aaron Heilman. No one likes Aaron Heilman.

Thoughts in bold italics. And because it's worth mentioning twice, no one likes Aaron Heilman.

Last edited by TeeRay; 08-13-2008 at 04:20 AM..
Old 08-13-2008, 01:19 PM
The latest word is that Carl Crawford may be out for the season. The Rays should be okay once Longoria returns to the lineup, but this is still troubling news.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
The latest word is that Carl Crawford may be out for the season. The Rays should be okay once Longoria returns to the lineup, but this is still troubling news.
Shit. That is bad news. But if Longoria comes back, they are semi fine. Personally I think the rays have the best corners in the AL right now.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeman69 View Post
Shit. That is bad news. But if Longoria comes back, they are semi fine. Personally I think the rays have the best corners in the AL right now.
as shitty as it is for me to admit this, Youk/Lowell and Arod/Giambi are better

but Longoria is a stud
Old 08-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
I can definitely see my Twins making the playoffs...but without both Michael Cuddyer and Pat Neshek on our postseason roster, I don't see us getting that far. We should be an even bigger force to be reckoned with next year, though...especially if we pick can up a right-handed power bat who can hit lefties...and remove the rest of our dead weight (i.e. Adam Everett, Nick Punto, Mike Lamb, Boof Bonser, and Brian Bass). And hopefully our rash of freak finger/hand injuries will end with this year.
The Twins amaze me year after year. They must have the best talent evulautors in baseball. They have the best manager/front office combo in baseball... it's not even close. This is a blueprint of how a small market team can contend year in and year out. And yes I depise the White Sox, so I am definitely rooting for the Twinkies. Ozzie Guillen and A.J. are both a disgrace. If the Twins can tread water through this two week road trip, I think they'll come out on top of that division. Hats off to Gardy and the boys.

Cubs vs. Twins World Series?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm amazed by how well the Rays have held up. They're taking the division. This will be a very interesting postseason.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Quote:
I'm amazed by how well the Rays have held up. They're taking the division. This will be a very interesting postseason.
Yeah, for sure. I 100% admit to being wrong about them. But even then, I don't think anyone could have predicted them to do this well. They lose two of their best players for a large chunk of the last few months, and they have just torn shit up on their road trip. They're going to have to consistently win still though, because they still have quite a few games against the Red Sox and Yankees, and multiple losses to either one of those teams could help the Red Sox catch up. 4.5 games is nothing if the Red Sox beat them a few times.

It should be fun to watch the next month and a week, the pennant and wild card races are going to be close as hell.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaJupe2k View Post
And yes I depise the White Sox, so I am definitely rooting for the Twinkies. Ozzie Guillen and A.J. are both a disgrace.

Why?????
Old 08-27-2008, 11:43 AM
I am a Yankee fan and I hate A Rod. He is nothing, but a paycheck, numbers player. He doesn;t hit when it counts, except during a contract year. I hate him. I hate him. I hate him. I hope his wife takes his kids and all his money she can get.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by veddhead83 View Post
Why?????
Low character self absorbed guys. More concerned with self promotion than anything else.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Yeah, for sure. I 100% admit to being wrong about them. But even then, I don't think anyone could have predicted them to do this well. They lose two of their best players for a large chunk of the last few months, and they have just torn shit up on their road trip. They're going to have to consistently win still though, because they still have quite a few games against the Red Sox and Yankees, and multiple losses to either one of those teams could help the Red Sox catch up. 4.5 games is nothing if the Red Sox beat them a few times.

It should be fun to watch the next month and a week, the pennant and wild card races are going to be close as hell.

Come join the dark side, Luke. :P
Old 08-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Low character self absorbed guys. More concerned with self promotion than anything else.
I don't see either of those guys as that. I like what both of those guys bring to the game - even though I understand why they both ruffle a lot of feathers.

The main two active major leaguers who fit that description above more than anyone else are...well...one is retired but just doesn't know it yet and the other seems to care more about his hair than any of his teammates.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Quote:
I am pretty sure they both just love to win and will do anything to do so. AJ pisses people off because of his win-at-all-costs attitude. And Ozzie speaks the truth. I love both of them.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilHenchman View Post
I don't see either of those guys as that. I like what both of those guys bring to the game - even though I understand why they both ruffle a lot of feathers.

The main two active major leaguers who fit that description above more than anyone else are...well...one is retired but just doesn't know it yet and the other seems to care more about his hair than any of his teammates.
I agree 100%. Names don't even need to be mentioned and everyone here knows who you are talking about. The same couldn't be said for AJ or Ozzie.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:29 PM
The Yankee season is pretty much over now. Can't wait to see who they buy next year.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleysDad View Post
The Yankee season is pretty much over now. Can't wait to see who they buy next year.
Starting pitchers.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilHenchman View Post
Starting pitchers.
Indeed. I mean, the offense hasn't been great this year, but that is mostly due to the fact that when they get down by a few runs, they go in the tank. Consistent starting pitching will ultimately give the batters more confidence.

They need to get Sabathia. No doubt. I would put every penny toward getting him.

Then there is the question of if Mussina or Pettitte will come back. Mussina has had a great year this year, and I wouldn't mind seeing him come back. Pettitte has been far too inconsistent, so I'd be hesitant to sign him, although if they can only get Sabathia, they'll have to get him back. Burnett may also be a solid choice. I don't really like him at all, he is one sour SOB, or at least that's how he looks. He hates it in Toronto (most likely because they suck), but I think if put on a winning team, he could put up some great numbers. Not sure about him, but he's a question mark for sure.

I don't know who else out there is up for free agency, or any pitchers that are looking to be traded. If anyone knows that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:30 PM
Here is a bit of an article from The New York Times:

Quote:
Yankees will go after Sabathia, Burnett

Hank Steinbrenner promised big changes for the struggling Yankees this off-season and now he's naming names. Pitchers C.C. Sabathia and A.J. Burnett will be at the top of the list for acquisition.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:52 PM
I hope Texiera and Manny too! I would like to see Giambi and Abreu gone. I love Andy Pettitte, but he needs to go too.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Then there is the question of if Mussina or Pettitte will come back. Mussina has had a great year this year, and I wouldn't mind seeing him come back. Pettitte has been far too inconsistent, so I'd be hesitant to sign him, although if they can only get Sabathia, they'll have to get him back. Burnett may also be a solid choice. I don't really like him at all, he is one sour SOB, or at least that's how he looks. He hates it in Toronto (most likely because they suck), but I think if put on a winning team, he could put up some great numbers. Not sure about him, but he's a question mark for sure.

I don't know who else out there is up for free agency, or any pitchers that are looking to be traded. If anyone knows that would be greatly appreciated.
Actually Burnett dispite his win total which is a career high his ERA 4.48 is higher than last year's 3.75 when he went 10-8 and his highest since his 2nd year in the league(I'm not counting 2003 where he had only 4 starts)

He has never came out and said he hates it in Toronto but considering the depth in pitching we have it wouldn't bother me if Burnett opts out of his contract which I expect him to do.

The Yankees need Starting Pitching which they have needed for years and I think they need a couple of players that can hit in clutch situations. Clearly A-Rod dosen't do that.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:06 AM
CC Sabathia's no hitter is KO'ed by homer score keeper. No way that was a hit. This is a perfect example for instant replay. What a joke!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Quote:
I hope Texiera and Manny too! I would like to see Giambi and Abreu gone. I love Andy Pettitte, but he needs to go too.
I would like to see Giambi go (although I do like him, his average is a consistent .250 every year. I think Abreu should stay. The guy is a machine. He hits .300 every year, with around 20 homers, and 100+ RBIs. He can take pitches like a mad man and walks frequently. His on-base percentage is out of this world. Giambi should definitely go, with Texiera replacing him at 1st base, but Abreu needs to stay. I don't know about Manny. He's already said that he would love to stay in LA, and he hated the publicity in Boston (which would be as bad or worse in NY). I'd like to have him for the offense, but I think he's too much of a distraction off the field and I don't think he would want to sign with the Yankees.

Other than that, I would keep Cano, Jeter, A-Rod, Nady, Damon, Abreu, and Matsui. I assume they are getting rid of Pudge because he has been fucking horrible for them. Depending on Posada's status, they made need to get another catcher, but if Posada is in good health, I'd definitely be sticking with him, with Molina as a back-up.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Actually Burnett dispite his win total which is a career high his ERA 4.48 is higher than last year's 3.75 when he went 10-8 and his highest since his 2nd year in the league(I'm not counting 2003 where he had only 4 starts)

He has never came out and said he hates it in Toronto but considering the depth in pitching we have it wouldn't bother me if Burnett opts out of his contract which I expect him to do.

The Yankees need Starting Pitching which they have needed for years and I think they need a couple of players that can hit in clutch situations. Clearly A-Rod dosen't do that.
It's obvious that Burnett does not like it in Toronto, and I'm pretty sure that has been made clear in several ways. He will not be in Toronto next year.

The Yankees do need starting pitching, and they are going to get it. If everything goes well, they will have the best rotation in the league next year. A-Rod doesn't hit in clutch situations, no, but the dude still puts up massive numbers. This has been a bad year for him, and he's still hitting like .306 with 29 HR and 81 RBI.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Quote:
It's obvious that Burnett does not like it in Toronto, and I'm pretty sure that has been made clear in several ways. He will not be in Toronto next year.

The Yankees do need starting pitching, and they are going to get it. If everything goes well, they will have the best rotation in the league next year. A-Rod doesn't hit in clutch situations, no, but the dude still puts up massive numbers. This has been a bad year for him, and he's still hitting like .306 with 29 HR and 81 RBI.
I hate ARod. I was so happy when I thought we were rid of him. He never hits in the clutch unless it is a contract year. He has the my meanless 29hr and 81 rbis ever. Actually, of all this homeruns with the Yankees, I would say less than 10% were meaningful in any way. The man had one rbi during our recent huge slide. One would think a man making over $25 mil could get a few hits with men on base.

I would take Burnett. Maybe the Jays will pick up Pavano.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:36 PM
I understand where you are coming from, but then again why would you want to get rid of Abreu? He doesn't hit as many home runs, but he hits as many RBIs, has a higher on base percentage, is stellar with runners in scoring position, has a great eye and can draw walks with ease, hits a consistent .300, can steal a bag every now and then, is a good guy to have around the clubhouse. There is no reason to get rid of Abreu.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Isn't Jake Peavy a free agent at the end of the season? If not, I could see him being traded. Either way, the Yankess need to invest in younger players. Jeter, Matsui, Giambi, Posada (to a lesser extent), and Abreu are past their prime. As for Manny, I strongly doubt that he will sign with NY.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Quote:
CC Sabathia's no hitter is KO'ed by homer score keeper. No way that was a hit. This is a perfect example for instant replay. What a joke!
Actually that was a hit and who's to say the no hitter wouldn't have been broken up later on the pressure of having a no hitter in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings is way different than in the 5th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101
I expect him to opt out of his contract because I think a lot of GMs will look at his win totals and his strikeouts which are great his ERA makes those stats thought very misleading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleysDad
Maybe the Jays will pick up Pavano.
If we lose Burnett we have
Halladay
McGowan
Marcum
Litsch
David Purcey - who was brilliant last week against Tampa Bay
Fabio Castro - who we just aquired from Phily earlier this week and has pitched in the majors
Casey Janseen - who could have been in the rotation this year but has been out all season with a shoulder injury and last year was excellent.

So we don't need Pavano and we have excellent depth if Burnett decides to opt out like I and everyone else thinks he will.

Last edited by horrorfreak13; 09-01-2008 at 08:53 PM..
Old 09-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Quote:
I understand where you are coming from, but then again why would you want to get rid of Abreu? He doesn't hit as many home runs, but he hits as many RBIs, has a higher on base percentage, is stellar with runners in scoring position, has a great eye and can draw walks with ease, hits a consistent .300, can steal a bag every now and then, is a good guy to have around the clubhouse. There is no reason to get rid of Abreu.
He is also a numbers guy. He has very good numbers, but does not hit in big spots. Phillies fans were happy to see him go. This year, he is totally hot and cold. For the money he makes ($15-16 mil) he needs to be more consistant. I would rather see Nady play right. We need a center fielder.

Quote:
Isn't Jake Peavy a free agent at the end of the season? If not, I could see him being traded. Either way, the Yankess need to invest in younger players. Jeter, Matsui, Giambi, Posada (to a lesser extent), and Abreu are past their prime. As for Manny, I strongly doubt that he will sign with NY.
I agreed. I like love Manny, because he hits when it counts. The Yanks are grossly under staffed in this dept. Plus, I think he would get off on beating Boston. I figure get rid of Abreu ($15-16 mil) and bring in Manny for $20 mil. or less. Let him play DH and cleanup and move ARod to third with awesome protection.

Quote:
Actually that was a hit and who's to say the no hitter wouldn't have been broken up later on the pressure of having a no hitter in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings is way different than in the 5th.

I expect him to opt out of his contract because I think a lot of GMs will look at his win totals and his strikeouts which are great his ERA makes those stats thought very misleading.

If we lose Burnett we have
Halladay
McGowan
Marcum
Litsch
David Purcey - who was brilliant last week against Tampa Bay
Fabio Castro - who we just aquired from Phily earlier this week and has pitched in the majors
Casey Janseen - who could have been in the rotation this year but has been out all season with a shoulder injury and last year was excellent.

So we don't need Pavano and we have excellent depth if Burnett decides to opt out like I and everyone else thinks he will.
I was kidding about Pavano. Blue Jays need some hitting. I hope they don;t have any youngsters coming up. lol. Give CC the benefit of doubt.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:04 PM
If the Jays lose Burnett, their starting rotation will be mediocre as hell. McGowan has pitched terribly this year. Marcum has pitched pretty well, but he's nothing to write home about. Litsch is not very good. Purcey is inconsistent as hell. I don't know about Castro, haven't seen him pitch. Janssen is nothing to write home about. Halladay is the only guy that the Blue Jays can count on, on a consistent basis.

I'm sorry, but the Blue Jays aren't going to be very good next year unless they pick up some better pitching and some better hitters. I don't think Pavano is the right choice (although I think he should be gone from NY for sure), but they have to do something.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Quote:
He is also a numbers guy. He has very good numbers, but does not hit in big spots. Phillies fans were happy to see him go. This year, he is totally hot and cold. For the money he makes ($15-16 mil) he needs to be more consistant. I would rather see Nady play right. We need a center fielder.
What? Where are you getting that info from? Last time I checked Bobby Abreu was at the top of the list for the Yankees of average with runners in scoring position. He hovered around the .280 to .290 overall average zone up until August, and lately has been a machine, bringing his average to over .300. He's always hitting .300, gets on base at least once, usually twice a game, hits well with runners in scoring position. I don't see any reason to get rid of him. He's perfect in the 3 spot. And he can work a walk with ease, something that the Yankees have not done as well this year as in years past.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Quote:
If the Jays lose Burnett, their starting rotation will be mediocre as hell. McGowan has pitched terribly this year. Marcum has pitched pretty well, but he's nothing to write home about. Litsch is not very good. Purcey is inconsistent as hell. I don't know about Castro, haven't seen him pitch. Janssen is nothing to write home about. Halladay is the only guy that the Blue Jays can count on, on a consistent basis.

I'm sorry, but the Blue Jays aren't going to be very good next year unless they pick up some better pitching and some better hitters. I don't think Pavano is the right choice (although I think he should be gone from NY for sure), but they have to do something.
McGowan didn't have the year he had last year and had season ended due to I believe a shoulder injury. I wouldn't say he was terrible since he had some very good starts(ask the Red Sox).

Marcum was the Jays 2nd best pitcher until he got injured and was leading in WHIP at the time. He hasn't pitched well since he returned which is why he was sent to Syracuse it worked for Litsch who has been brilliant in his 3 starts since being recalled from the minors. Which BTW not bad for someone who went from A level a year ago and went straight into the majors skipping AA and AAA level.

And they do lead in ERA despite Burnett's high ERA

As for the rest of the pitchers they are all young and well see I'll still take this rotation over the Yankees.

The Jays thought do need a good power hitter and I don't think one is available that would come to Toronto unless Delgado wants to come back(unless the Mes decline his option) which means they have to do a trade and they have a lot of pitching prospects to do that.

Until they get a bat or two they will be just barely be above or below .500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleysDad
I was kidding about Pavano. Blue Jays need some hitting. I hope they don;t have any youngsters coming up. lol. Give CC the benefit of doubt.
After trading Matt Stairs they Jays brought up Travis Snider good young LF 20years old went 1 for 3 in his first game up and him and Adam Lind(who's been very good in the past month and a half) will split between LF and DH the rest of the way.

He's probably a good year or 2 away from being MLB ready

They don't have a lot of hitting prospects but they have lots of pitching prospects they could use to trade for a good hitter in the offseason something they should consider.