Old 12-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Well, in a suprise move, The Atanta Braves have gotten Rafael Furcal for a 3 year contract with a 4th year option.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Hmm, interesting. I'm glad he's a Brave again. Still, Atlanta won't be a contender. They need power, relief pitching, a stronger rotation, and...well, everything.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
Hmm, interesting. I'm glad he's a Brave again. Still, Atlanta won't be a contender. They need power, relief pitching, a stronger rotation, and...well, everything.
Oh yeah. we got a ton of money and plenty of time. stuff will happen.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:52 PM
apparently Furcal isn't a Brave yet. He's still in discussions with the Dodgers. Bizarre.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by veddhead83 View Post
On paper my friend.
Ask the Mets how the best pitching rotation in baseball worked for them last year....
Or the D-Backs
Indeed. And remember how everyone was saying the Tigers' lineup was gonna tear it up last season? : ?
Old 12-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Word on the street is Teixeira is going to the Red Sox and Ramirez is going to the Yankees. But remember, that's just the word on the street, rumours, nothing is official.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeisevil View Post
Let me explore the Phillies' logic here

They resign a 46 year old whose fastball only goes up to 82 maybe, then get rid a decent left fielder?

Yuck.
And sign soon-to-be 37 Ibanez to a 3-year deal. Then again, I guess he is the best, least troublesome left fielder on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
The Yankees don't go hard enough after Santana last year and people bash them (fans and non-fans), they learn from their mistakes and go after a few pitchers and all the sudden the world is fucking ending. The hypocrisy is unreal.
If you're talking about me, my friend, there's no hypocrisy here. I was against NY going for Santana at the expense of young talent last year. And I'm all for them going after starters this year. However, if they fail to plug the several other leaks in the Yankee ship, they're going to fall short of the Steinbrennerian expectations of a WS title. They'll still sell out every game, and they'll still be an above .500 club, but I just don't like their postseason chances otherwise.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilHenchman View Post
If you're talking about me, my friend, there's no hypocrisy here. I was against NY going for Santana at the expense of young talent last year. And I'm all for them going after starters this year. However, if they fail to plug the several other leaks in the Yankee ship, they're going to fall short of the Steinbrennerian expectations of a WS title. They'll still sell out every game, and they'll still be an above .500 club, but I just don't like their postseason chances otherwise.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.
I was not referring to you in any way, shape or form.

I was referring to some of the fans of other teams who blasted the Yankees for not going after Santana and bashed their management, and then blasted them for going hard after Sabathia and Burnett. That's blatant hypocrisy. It's just a case of having an opportunity to bash a team who may have made a potentially poor decision, and then bashing them again when they make a potentially good decision.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Quote:
I was not referring to you in any way, shape or form.

I was referring to some of the fans of other teams who blasted the Yankees for not going after Santana and bashed their management, and then blasted them for going hard after Sabathia and Burnett. That's blatant hypocrisy. It's just a case of having an opportunity to bash a team who may have made a potentially poor decision, and then bashing them again when they make a potentially good decision.
The yankees represent the american ideal that the more money you have, the more you can bully the other people that are inferior to you. Hence them getting Burnett and Sabathia because they thought "oh what the hey, we have the money, let's get them!"
Old 12-17-2008, 03:20 PM
It's called "high expectations". When you win 26 championships you kind of, ya know, have a lot of expectations. Why the hell wouldn't they go after Sabathia and Burnett? That's like saying "Oh, let's not try to improve in an area that we are struggling when the opportunity to improve in that area is right in front of us."
Old 12-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Quote:
It's called "high expectations". When you win 26 championships you kind of, ya know, have a lot of expectations. Why the hell wouldn't they go after Sabathia and Burnett? That's like saying "Oh, let's not try to improve in an area that we are struggling when the opportunity to improve in that area is right in front of us."

They buy up all the good pitchers and turn them into shit.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Uh... what? What evidence is supporting this theory?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:01 PM
The Yankees organization is a great example of America's egocentric avarice. Just because the money is there, that doesn't mean you have to spend all of it. I'd love to know how much cash they pour into the development of homegrown talent. All of the expensive free agents they have signed since their last championship have yielded - you guessed it - mixed results. No championships, fancy stats, overpriced tickets, and a zillion-dollar stadium that didn't need to be built.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Now, not every team can be Tampa Bay, suck ass for a shit load of years until you pile up a ton of top free agent picks. The more you win, the harder it is to get better draft picks. I'd say the Yankees are doing alright considering their consistency at being near the top of the league for more than a decade. They've got some real talent in the minors and recently they've developed or are developing Cano, Chamberlain, Hughes, Gardener, Aceves (watch out for this guy), Coke (and this guy as well), Ramirez, and to a lesser extent Cabrera. I'm sure there are many others out there as well. So no, the Yankees can't develop as many potentially great players like Tampa Bay because they haven't sucked ass for the history of their organization prior to this year, but their doing a decent job with what they have.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:02 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/11178319

So much for Furcal going back to Atlanta...
Old 12-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Now, not every team can be Tampa Bay, suck ass for a shit load of years until you pile up a ton of top free agent picks. The more you win, the harder it is to get better draft picks. I'd say the Yankees are doing alright considering their consistency at being near the top of the league for more than a decade. They've got some real talent in the minors and recently they've developed or are developing Cano, Chamberlain, Hughes, Gardener, Aceves (watch out for this guy), Coke (and this guy as well), Ramirez, and to a lesser extent Cabrera. I'm sure there are many others out there as well. So no, the Yankees can't develop as many potentially great players like Tampa Bay because they haven't sucked ass for the history of their organization prior to this year, but their doing a decent job with what they have.
I just don't see a balance. I mean, you can't blame someone for hating the Yankees. They'll get more coverage this year than Philadelphia. That's just nuts.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/11178319

So much for Furcal going back to Atlanta...
Wren needs to be lynched.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Teixiera to the Yanks. Kind of a shocking move, considering how much money they've already spent this offseason, and the fact that some other big market teams (Sox, Angels) were in the hunt and seemed to have a lot of money at their disposal with various contracts expiring. I guess the Yankees are recession-proof. If they land Manny too... yike. I don't even know what to say. Good for them, I guess.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:59 PM
this is ridiculous....the league needs a cap
Old 12-23-2008, 03:56 PM
WOW. Did not expect that. Were the Yankees even in talks with Teixeira for the past week or so? I thought it was only Boston, LA, Baltimore and Washington.

But I'm not going to lie or bullshit anyone, being a Yankees fan, this news is fucking awesome!
Old 12-23-2008, 04:21 PM
What a beautiful day to be a Yanks fan!!

Huge signing, the kid is only 28.

What a infield...
Old 12-23-2008, 04:27 PM
It's signing like these that make me hate baseball. I mean the top pitcher and postion player on the same team? But this will make it so much sweeter when the yankees fail.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
What a beautiful day to be a Yanks fan!!

Huge signing, the kid is only 28.

What a infield...
of old fucking people. Cano and tex are like the youngest guys in the field

I like how every move the yankees make the fans jizz all over it.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Quote:
I like how every move the yankees make the fans jizz all over it.
Uh... why the fuck wouldn't we? If your favorite team just signed Sabathia, Burnett, and Teixeira I'd expect you'd be pretty damn happy. Two young players, one is one of the best pitchers in the league, the other probably the best first basemen in the league, along with the 2008 strikeout leader. Why wouldn't fans be happy? Seriously, give me one logical reason why fans shouldn't be happy. And it's not as if we're fucking going nuts on this site. We're respectfully and calmly expressing our excitement. Get over it.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Uh... why the fuck wouldn't we? If your favorite team just signed Sabathia, Burnett, and Teixeira I'd expect you'd be pretty damn happy. Two young players, one is one of the best pitchers in the league, the other probably the best first basemen in the league, along with the 2008 strikeout leader. Why wouldn't fans be happy? Seriously, give me one logical reason why fans shouldn't be happy. And it's not as if we're fucking going nuts on this site. We're respectfully and calmly expressing our excitement. Get over it.
HA HA

Tex batted 270 when he was with the braves last year.

He has a great first half then he bombs in the second. Good luck with him.

CC sucks in the playoffs, so good luck with that.

Burnett has a 4.0 era. good luck with that

Plus anyone that joins the yankees is a automatic sell out.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Quote:
HA HA

Tex batted 270 when he was with the braves last year.

He has a great first half then he bombs in the second. Good luck with him.

CC sucks in the playoffs, so good luck with that.

Burnett has a 4.0 era. good luck with that

Plus anyone that joins the yankees is a automatic sell out.
Tex is arguably the best first baseman in the league, so yeah... I'll take my chances.

CC has been to the playoffs twice, the second time he had gone like 5 games in which he only had 3 days rest in between each game.

Burnett also had what, 18 wins last year? Not to mention he had the most strikeouts in the league. I'd take my chances with that.

Since when has signing with the most successful franchise in sports history been deemed "selling out"? No, lets sign with some shitty team to I can go on with my career being one of the only sparks on my team and losing on a consistent basis. People do like to win you know, and New York is a place where winning is very common.

If the Yankees signed the top 30 players in the league you would be whining about it. Get over it and realize that the Yankees just made 3 deals that will fill 3 massive gaps that they've had in their pitching and hitting line-ups for the past few years.

HA HA

Last edited by Bourne101; 12-23-2008 at 06:11 PM..
Old 12-23-2008, 06:26 PM
What's great about it is that the Yankees still won't win a championship. And they're not even the Yankees. It's just a hodgepodge group of hired guns who probably don't have any of that "Yankee pride" that the fans always talk about. C.C. wanted to stay in the NL, but I guess $100 million wouldn't buy all the cool stuff he wants. Here is what you'll get, Bourne; three talented players with...

*87 Cars
*43 Mansions
*23 Maids
*Blowjobs on the Hour
*Private Jets
*Enough Champagne to Kill 15 Babe Ruth's

And finally...

*No Rings

Old 12-23-2008, 06:39 PM
You can go on and on and on all day long. It doesn't change the fact that the Yankees are probably going to be a very good team next year. I'd much rather see them sign some guys to fill some enormous gaps than see them continue to struggle at 1st base and in their pitching rotation.

We'll just have to wait and see.

On to other topics:

Is it just me or are the Red Sox shaping themselves up for depletion? Many of their players are aging, they don't have a lot coming up from the minors, their bullpen is weakening. They certainly are not going to be the dynasty that people were predicting. They aren't making an effort to sign anyone either.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Quote:
You can go on and on and on all day long. It doesn't change the fact that the Yankees are probably going to be a very good team next year. I'd much rather see them sign some guys to fill some enormous gaps than see them continue to struggle at 1st base and in their pitching rotation.

We'll just have to wait and see.

On to other topics:

Is it just me or are the Red Sox shaping themselves up for depletion? Many of their players are aging, they don't have a lot coming up from the minors, their bullpen is weakening. They certainly are not going to be the dynasty that people were predicting. They aren't making an effort to sign anyone either.
My god, you are ignorant. They were like a second away from signing tex then the super yankees swooped in and got him.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Tex is arguably the best first baseman in the league, so yeah... I'll take my chances.

CC has been to the playoffs twice, the second time he had gone like 5 games in which he only had 3 days rest in between each game.

Burnett also had what, 18 wins last year? Not to mention he had the most strikeouts in the league. I'd take my chances with that.

Since when has signing with the most successful franchise in sports history been deemed "selling out"? No, lets sign with some shitty team to I can go on with my career being one of the only sparks on my team and losing on a consistent basis. People do like to win you know, and New York is a place where winning is very common.

If the Yankees signed the top 30 players in the league you would be whining about it. Get over it and realize that the Yankees just made 3 deals that will fill 3 massive gaps that they've had in their pitching and hitting line-ups for the past few years.

HA HA

Tex is a solid player I'll give you that. But the signings of CC and AJ should be a cause of concern. CC's past playoff expirence will not sit well with Yankee fans. Look at a-rod. His weight is also a huge cause of concern. He's a power pitcher and big power pitchers don't last long. Then there's AJ. In the past 8 years he has been on the DL for a signifacant time 7x's. In his contract year he had an era of 4! In the AL east! Don't you think hitters are not going to be fooled by him?

$300 million on the line here.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Quote:
My god, you are ignorant. They were like a second away from signing tex then the super yankees swooped in and got him.
Please refrain from the insults, and read the rules of the board. There is no need to call me ignorant. Didn't the Red Sox pull out of the race like a week ago because Washington's offer was much larger than they were willing to pay? Same with the Angels.

Regardless, take it easy dude, it's just baseball.

Last edited by Bourne101; 12-23-2008 at 09:06 PM..
Old 12-23-2008, 09:03 PM
So why did the team need the city to put up funds for the stadium? They have almost half a billion dollars in 16 players!

Shrewd businessmen if anything, but I think the city/state got swindled:

-Taxpayers cover half the tab for construction ($800 million)
-Taxpayers cover $390 million on extra transportation
-Forgiving $80,000 owed to the city by the Mets for cable revenue
-$25 million given each to the Yankees and the Mets for "planning money"
-Teams keep all parking revenue, which state officials had wanted to keep to compensate the state for building new garages for the teams
-Teams keep 96% of ticket revenue and 100% of all other revenues
-No sales tax or property tax, plus low-cost electricity from the state

Once Michael Bloomberg succeeded Rudy Giuliani as mayor, he exercised the escape clauses to back out of the agreement, with the obvious reason being that it just was not affordable. However, Rotten Rudy had inserted a seperate clause that would allow the Yankees and Mets to LEAVE on just 60 days notice if the city backed out of the agreement.

Corporate welfare at it's bullshittiest!

Call me when the teams miss the playoffs...

Imagine if they HAD moved the team to Jersey in the 80's...
Old 12-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Please refrain from the insults, and read the rules of the board. There is no need to call me ignorant. Didn't the Red Sox pull out of the race like a week ago because Washington's offer was much larger than they were willing to pay? Same with the Angels.

Regardless, take it easy dude, it's just baseball.
No, The Yankees have much more older players than the red sox do. Besides didn't the Red Sox make the playoffs and the yankees didn't?

By the way how the heck is ignorant a insult

I thought something along the line of "you motherfucker" would be.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Quote:
No, The Yankees have much more older players than the red sox do. Besides didn't the Red Sox make the playoffs and the yankees didn't?
What does this have to do with the Red Sox and Angels pulling out of the race because of Washington's offer? Or are you referring to my initial post? If so, I'm just saying that the Red Sox seem to be depleting a bit. They have aging players (as do the Yankees, I realize that), their bullpen is not very good, their pitching rotation is pretty solid but I wouldn't call it great and they don't have much coming up through the minors. I just don't see the Red Sox getting any better than they were this year, and the supposed dynasty that people were talking about is pretty much out the window now.

Quote:
By the way how the heck is ignorant a insult
The way you said it "My God, you are ignorant" definitely came off as insulting, and moderators generally do not take kindly to that. Even more so because of the fact that it was completely uncalled for and pointless, considering the Red Sox pulled out (at least for the first time) before the Yankees even made an offer.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:35 AM
Quote:
The yankees represent the american ideal that the more money you have, the more you can bully the other people that are inferior to you. Hence them getting Burnett and Sabathia because they thought "oh what the hey, we have the money, let's get them!"
Well, that's exactly right.

I never understood this criticism of a franchise spending the oodles of cash it brings in. If it has the resources, why shouldn't it utilize them? What, should they be thrifty, at the expense of allowing free agents to go to division rivals? Especially if those players also happen to be marquee-level talent? This sport is still a business, teams still need to sell tickets, and the best, quickest way to do that - aside from being really damn good and competitive in the standings - is to have star quality on the field.

And, clearly, this Yankee "approach" has something to it, since Boston's adopted it to some degree - and lookit what happened: they've got themselves two World Series titles in four years.

Granted, big free agent spending doesn't always work in terms of team chemistry and WS titles (just look at some of the Yankee teams of the early 90's), but oddly enough it does help keep the revenue coming in.

And luke, your calling Bourne ignorant is clearly inappropriate and an insult, but it also opens some of your comments to closer scrutiny...and some of your recent ones have been, shall we say, a bit outlandish.

"Tex bombs in the second half" Um, what? Didn't I just read somewhere that he was hitting .358 after joining Anaheim? Players should be lucky to bomb so well.

"They buy up all the good pitchers and turn them into shit." As of late, they'd been picking up guys whose best days were behind them, so the shit evolution process had already begun. Brown. Wright. Johnson. Pavano. And some of those weren't "buys" - most were trades, which a whole lot teams do. Boston paid a lot of money for that Dice K...and he's arguably only their third best pitcher. The connection there is that NY isn't the only team in this sport that throws sacks of money at talent.

They just have more sacks than most to throw around.

For the record, I'm officially pleased with Tex joining the Yanks. I don't know if it's a jizzing-all-over kind of pleased, but as far as I'm concerned, THIS was the move they needed to make this offseason.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Quote:
They're trying, but economically they're in trouble. They're not even raising ticket prices this year... the first time in a real long time. They can't afford to compete with the Yanks. They tried, but were always outbid. They put $160 million on the table for Teixiera, Boras wanted $195 so they withdrew the offer. Same thing happened with the Angels. Yanks swooped in for $170 and that was that.

That said, they still have the best pitching rotation in baseball. I'll take my chances with Beckett/Lester/Matsuzaka (all of whom are relatively young) over CC/Wantg/Burnett. They have the reigning AL MVP as well. They're in good shape for the immediate future. They'll address long term problems down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilHenchman View Post
For the record, I'm officially pleased with Tex joining the Yanks. I don't know if it's a jizzing-all-over kind of pleased, but as far as I'm concerned, THIS was the move they needed to make this offseason.
Agree completely. A few years ago we were talking about the Yankees having the greatest lineup in baseball history. Last year they couldn't get clutch hits for the life of them. They obviously needed to improve their rotation, but Teixiera was just as important. Next up is Manny.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Excellent observations Evil Henchmen and Darth Kenshin.

At the moment, I believe the Dodgers and Yankees are the only teams looking to sign Manny. I'm cautiously optimistic about signing Manny. On one hand he is a hell of a hitter and can hit for any club, any time, any year. On the other hand he is a bit of a distraction in the clubhouse, but that might not necessarily be a bad thing. Some of the greatest Yankee teams have had players who had a personality of their own, who have stirred some shit up. Melkey Cabrera and Robinson Cano seem to be the only ones in the clubhouse consistently bringing energy, laughter, enthusiasm, etc. And Cabrera could be gone for all we know. I don't know what the offer would be. I heard possibly $75 million for 3 years. I'm happy it would be only 3 years, because if they did sign him it may fall flat on their face, but I'm not so happy about the $75 million part. Anyways, we'll wait and see. If I were the Dodgers I would go hard after him, he had a hell of a year when he played with them.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:49 AM
If the Yankess have the resources, then why did they beg the city for millions of dollars? Raising ticket prices and forcing taxpayers to shovel a fuckload of money into a new stadium during a recession is a prick thing to do.

As strange as it may sound, Manny might end up in Washington. I have no idea why the Dodgers aren't trying harder to keep him in L.A. He single-handedly rejuvenated that ballclub. I really don't see him becoming a Yankee.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
If the Yankess have the resources, then why did they beg the city for millions of dollars? Raising ticket prices and forcing taxpayers to shovel a fuckload of money into a new stadium during a recession is a prick thing to do.

As strange as it may sound, Manny might end up in Washington. I have no idea why the Dodgers aren't trying harder to keep him in L.A. He single-handedly rejuvenated that ballclub. I really don't see him becoming a Yankee.
Prick thing to do? Of course. But they can get away with it, because even if they price out some fans, there will be more than enough wealthy people who will gladly buy those tickets.

And you're right about the Dodgers. I don't get it either. But Manny is a simple guy. He'll go to the highest bidder. I don't think anything else matters. If the Yanks offer 3 years, $70 million, that might be the most he gets. Who knows how it will turn out. I didn't see Teixiera becoming a Yankee either. As I've said before, the recession is really increasing the gap between the Yanks and every one else. When big market teams like the Angels (lost Teixiera and K-Rod) and the Cubs (backed out of the Peavy deal for economic reasons) are toning down their spending, there's no one that can compete with NY. If they really want Manny, they'll get him.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:30 PM
These moves will make the Yank$' finishing third again all the more hilarious.