Old 08-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Props to Melky Cabrera who hit for the cycle today.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Um, go Rangers?
Old 08-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Yanks vs. Red Sox tonight. I hope they finally win one against Boston this season and I'll settle for a split this series. 3 out of 4 would be great, though.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Pure torture was watching the Yankee- Sox game last night. I loved it, but oh man I wanted it to end. Games like this really suck when you lose. Glad my team won.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:43 AM
What a fucking game. 0-0 through 15 innings. Wow.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:46 AM
I know you always here this when there is a 0-0 game for any sport. I remember one year the Devils and Sabres (with Dom in goal) went to three overtimes with a 0-0 score. Sabres won

This was an exciting 0-0 game. Lots of near misses to win the game. So many walks. Some good defense. Everything, but a score.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:51 PM
I fully expect the Mets to sign Jason Giambi in the coming days. Because at this point, why the hell not? What else do the Mets have to lose?
Old 08-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRay View Post
I fully expect the Mets to sign Jason Giambi in the coming days. Because at this point, why the hell not? What else do the Mets have to lose?
If they do, he has a chance to lead the team in homeruns at Citi.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:06 PM
You know A-Rod went and got a Steroid shot in the butt before he hit that homer.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe1985 View Post
You know A-Rod went and got a Steroid shot in the butt before he hit that homer.
Now that is not nice. The man has done nothing until that point. You swing for the fences every at bat you will get lucky once.

Big Papi needs one of those shots, because he just plain sucks now. How does someone get so bad so fast... hmmmmmmm
Old 08-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbie Normal View Post
If they do, he has a chance to lead the team in homeruns at Citi.
If they sign him he leads the team in HRs by default. He has 11 and the team leader is Sheffield with 10. Sigh...
Old 08-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRay View Post
If they sign him he leads the team in HRs by default. He has 11 and the team leader is Sheffield with 10. Sigh...
lol what a joke of a team! Omar is the worst gm of all the teams with big payrolls. The Mets are the Jets of baseball. The Jets are the Clippers on football. The Phoenix Coyotes are a Mickey Mouse organization. Take that Gretzky! The Devils are the greatest hockey franchise now, motherfucker!
Old 08-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Quote:
lol what a joke of a team! Omar is the worst gm of all the teams with big payrolls. The Mets are the Jets of baseball. The Jets are the Clippers on football. The Phoenix Coyotes are a Mickey Mouse organization. Take that Gretzky! The Devils are the greatest hockey franchise now, motherfucker!
I'll give you the Mets being the Jets of baseball, but the Jets as bad as the Clippers? The Lions would like to argue that.

Anyways, Billy Wagner is coming back soon, and from what i've read he's been really good in rehab starts. This intrigues me. He might be traded, depending on how good he is when he comes back, and one team is already interested. Who's trying to make a post-season run and needs a closer?
Old 08-14-2009, 03:37 PM
So who are your choices for top three or so MVP and CY Young candidates

MVP
AL
Joe Mauer- Minn
Mark Teixeira - NY Yanks
Justin Morneau - Minn
Miguel Cabrera - Det
Jason Bay - Boston

NL
Albert Pujols - St Louis Just give him the trophy now!

Cy Young
AL
Zack Greinke - KC If he were on a half way decent team, he would have 16 wins
Felix Hernandez - Sea
Mariano Rivera - NYY
Roy Halladay - Tor
Josh Beckett - Bos

NL
Tim Lincecum - SF
Matt Cain - SF
Chris Carpenter - St Louis

Rookie
AL
Ricky Romero - Tor
Jeff Niemann - Tampa

NL
J.A. Happ - Philly
Dexter Fowler - Col
Old 08-20-2009, 03:27 PM
So I am a Yankee fan and I did not like Joe Torre since 2000 and wanted him fired for years. I live in the LA area, so I watch Joe and his Dodges from time to time.

One thing Joe does and (the Yankee Joe G too from time to time) is put his closer in in the 9th during a tie game. This has got to be the worst move ever. I wish I had numbers to back it up, but when he used to do this with the Yankees, it never worked.

Last night, tie game, top of the 9th inning, Cards up and Joe puts his closer in. Closer basically (with the help of bad defense) loses the game. I do not watch all the games, so I don't know if some people were not available and I know he used 3 other relievers already. I know he loves to use at least 3 relievers every game. His move to use the closer in the 9th during a tie game did not work. Keep an eye on this at the end of Dodger close games. Joe blows more games, because he can't properly use a bullpen.

He is overusing his current bullpen and they will all burn out come playoff time. He plans are usually to get a big lead and then rest them all in Sept., but with the team losing so much and the lead going away, I seriously doubt he will be able to rest anyone.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:05 PM
NL MVP - Pujols

NL Cy Young - Lincecum. It won't be close, only because the Cards' guys will split votes (Carpenter and Wainwright). Wainwright has been out of his mind lately.

NL ROY - Happ now that Rasmus cooled off (thank God they didn't trade him)

AL MVP - this is tricky, only cause the Twins suck. If the Twins were in contention, it'd be Mauer hands down. Now? I'm leaning towards Tex, unless Jeter takes a few sympathy votes.

AL Cy Young - Felix Hernandez. Greinke won't have a good enough record, and it'll cost him just like it cost Randy Johnson in '04, when he lost to Clemens despite having more strikeouts, more innings, and a lower ERA and WHIP. But Clemens was 18-4, and Randy was barely over .500 (I wanna say 15-14)

AL ROY - no idea.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
NL Cy Young - Lincecum. It won't be close, only because the Cards' guys will split votes (Carpenter and Wainwright). Wainwright has been out of his mind lately.
I just want to point out that the last time (two years in a row) this came up (Arizona Diamondbacks) between two pitchers on the same team (Johnson and Schilling), the vote did not split and Johnson won hands down both times. They finished 1 -2 both in 2000 and 2001. Also the three pitchers from the Braves (Smoltz, Glavine and Maddux) won quite a few CY's while competing against each other almost every year.

Should be a close vote. They all are awesome.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Quote:
I just want to point out that the last time (two years in a row) this came up (Arizona Diamondbacks) between two pitchers on the same team (Johnson and Schilling), the vote did not split and Johnson won hands down both times. They finished 1 -2 both in 2000 and 2001. Also the three pitchers from the Braves (Smoltz, Glavine and Maddux) won quite a few CY's while competing against each other almost every year.

Should be a close vote. They all are awesome.
That's a good point. I wasn't referring to the overall votes being split; I was referring to the media of that specific town. Like, the sports writers in St. Louis splitting their first place votes between Wainwright and Carpenter. I could see that happening. But you're right, it hasn't really hurt great pitchers from the same team all the time. Hopefully it won't in this case, because Carpenter and Wainwright have been amazing.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:53 PM
One thing I really like about the Yankees this year was the fact that they did not make any big trades at the deadline. I have found that big trades made int he middle of the season rarely ever help a team win the World Series. The Yankees have had a few smaller moves like getting Jerry Hairston Jr, Eric Hinske and Sergio Mitre. All three have done a great job and allowed the Yankees to keep their farm system stocked. People might forget, but several minor leaguers were brought up this year and helped out greatly when we had injuries.

I think the move the Phil made to get Lee will not help them get back to the World Series. Lee has been great, but much of the rest of the staff is weak as is their bullpen.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Quote:
AL MVP - this is tricky, only cause the Twins suck. If the Twins were in contention, it'd be Mauer hands down.
Come on now, the Kansas City Royals suck -- the Twins are mediocre (this season, anyway...mostly thanks to injuries and growing pains experienced by their young starting rotation). Expect more from them next year. And, BTW, thanks to their underachieving division, they ARE still (barely) in contention.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
Come on now, the Kansas City Royals suck -- the Twins are mediocre (this season, anyway...mostly thanks to injuries and growing pains experienced by their young starting rotation). Expect more from them next year. And, BTW, thanks to their underachieving division, they ARE still (barely) in contention.
My Tigers are (slowly) pulling away.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamer581 View Post
My Tigers are (slowly) pulling away.
I'm shocked, I said they were gonna implode and I was wrong. I'll eat my words on it. No one wants to take it from them. If they can win the series against Tampa, KC is next, they could easily run away with the Central.

On a sadder note, what terrible news about Ernie Harwell. He is the greatest baseball announcer of all time, and one of the nicest people I've ever had the honor of meeting. He is Detroit Tigers baseball, I wish him all the best.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by labialover View Post
I'm shocked, I said they were gonna implode and I was wrong. I'll eat my words on it. No one wants to take it from them. If they can win the series against Tampa, KC is next, they could easily run away with the Central.

On a sadder note, what terrible news about Ernie Harwell. He is the greatest baseball announcer of all time, and one of the nicest people I've ever had the honor of meeting. He is Detroit Tigers baseball, I wish him all the best.

Wow, a 3 game sweep at Tampa. Inge hits a freaking Grand Slam in the top of the 9th! This team is getting hot at the right time.

Very sad about Ernie.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Quote:

Don't look now, but my red-hot Twins are breathing down their necks!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Quote:

The Tigers are going to hold on...barely.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Quote:
yeah, and Mauer just became a mujch more serious MVP candidate.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Quote:
yeah, and Mauer just became a mujch more serious MVP candidate.
Even if they don't win the Central, he has to be the MVP. He's probably having the greatest statistical season for a catcher in history. Jeter has had a good season, but he shouldn't win.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:37 AM
Mauer definitely deserves MVP.

It looks like it's going to be the Tigers and Yanks....here is hoping for a miracle.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamer581 View Post
It looks like it's going to be the Tigers and Yanks....here is hoping for a miracle.
With Verlander pitching game 1, and Burnett have never pitched in the post-season, who knows. Baseball is such a crapshoot in the playoffs.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:08 AM

PHILS CLINCH!

Only the second time in franchise history that we have had a three-peat division champ. Looks like we'll be facing either the Cardinals or Rockies in the Division Series. If it's Colorado I hope it doesn't end up looking anything like the 2007 DS. Yikes!

Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Down goes JP!

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=293555
Old 10-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
This had to happen after what happenned this year and everything that has happenned the past 8 years and next year where there's very little optimism for next year this had to happen.

Who to we get next thought I'm not sure but we had to get someone else in there.

Oh and also I want to say it's a crime if Joe Mauer and Zack Grienke don't win AL MVP and Cy Young awards respectively what they are both doing this year is unbelieveable.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfreak13 View Post
Oh and also I want to say it's a crime if Joe Mauer and Zack Grienke don't win AL MVP and Cy Young awards respectively what they are both doing this year is unbelieveable.
Greinke: 16-8, 2.16 ERA, 242Ks, 229 Innings

Hernandez: 18-5, 2.42 ERA, 217Ks, 238 Innings

I would hardly call it a crime if King Felix gets the award over Greinke. Greinke has been phenomenal, but at the end of the day the record is what matters most, and Hernandez has more wins and fewer losses, so it'll be close.

As for Mauer, since the Twins finished strong, he'll win MVP easily
Old 10-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Well, looks like Miguel Cabrera doesn't take baseball seriously. On the eve of the Tigers most important series of the year, he's out partying with the White Sox.

Quote:
Reports: Miguel Cabrera parties with White Sox, comes home with .26 blood alcohol level
By Scott Warheit
October 05, 2009, 9:57AM

AP PhotoReports suggest Miguel Cabrera was out partying with members of the Chicago White Sox late Friday night.

Details are starting to emerge about what led to the scratches and bruises on Miguel Cabrera's face, and we are learning why the Detroit Tigers were so upset with their star first baseman. According to published reports, Cabrera was partying with the Chicago White Sox late Friday into early Saturday morning, on the eve of the Tigers' most important games of the season.

October 5, Detroit Free Press: Miguel Cabrera might be the Tigers' first baseman on the field. But off the field early Saturday morning, he was one of the boys out too late with his buddies, according to the Birmingham Police.

The buddies were players from the Chicago White Sox, who Cabrera was partying with after Friday night's game at Birmingham's Townsend Hotel, Birmingham Police Chief Richard Patterson said.

But when he got home, his wife wasn't happy he'd been out drinking so late, Patterson said. Roseann Cabrera called 911 at 6:05 a.m. to report the two were fighting, according to reports.

But after investigators determined both Cabrera and his wife were "aggressors" in the situation, Patterson said, the first baseman was released. Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski picked Cabrera up at the station between 7:30 and 8 a.m. Saturday, he added.

According to the Detroit News, Cabrera had a .26 blood-alcohol level. 0.08 is legally drunk when operating a motor vehicle. The News also reports there was another incident at the Townsend Hotel earlier in the morning, but it is not known if there is any connection to Cabrera's altercation at his home.

It was not the only domestic disturbance run by city police Saturday. Less than three hours earlier, about 3:30 a.m., police responded to a domestic assault incident at the Townsend Hotel in downtown Birmingham.

It was not clear Sunday if the two incidents were related.
What a joke. Leyland should sit his ass for Tuesdays game. He was awful the last 4 games, and could be a major reason why the Tigers lose the division. Thank you Miguel, I hope you enjoy that $152 million that Illitch gave you, fucker.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Greinke: 16-8, 2.16 ERA, 242Ks, 229 Innings

Hernandez: 18-5, 2.42 ERA, 217Ks, 238 Innings

I would hardly call it a crime if King Felix gets the award over Greinke. Greinke has been phenomenal, but at the end of the day the record is what matters most, and Hernandez has more wins and fewer losses, so it'll be close.
Wow I didn't realize Hernandez number were that great. Don't get to see the Mariners much or hear about him much but that's impressive. All I've heard is Grienke or Sabbathia from the mainstream media. Seeing that I think Sabbathia is clearly 3rd in Cy Young voting.

I think it's Grienke's ERA and Ks that will win over especially his ERA which is the lowest I believe since Pedro Martinez with the Red Sox, forget the year and the stat but I believe it was 2003 with an ERA close to 2.00
Old 10-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Quote:
What a joke. Leyland should sit his ass for Tuesdays game. He was awful the last 4 games, and could be a major reason why the Tigers lose the division. Thank you Miguel, I hope you enjoy that $152 million that Illitch gave you, fucker.
Remember about 3 years ago when he was mentioned with Pujols as the best young player in all of baseball... yike

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfreak13 View Post
Wow I didn't realize Hernandez number were that great. Don't get to see the Mariners much or hear about him much but that's impressive. All I've heard is Grienke or Sabbathia from the mainstream media. Seeing that I think Sabbathia is clearly 3rd in Cy Young voting.

I think it's Grienke's ERA and Ks that will win over especially his ERA which is the lowest I believe since Pedro Martinez with the Red Sox, forget the year and the stat but I believe it was 2003 with an ERA close to 2.00
yeah I think Greinke was the best pitcher in baseball this year... even better than Lincecum. His "stuff" (I HATE that word) was the best I saw. But I don't know if that's enough. I don't know the Cy Young voters very well, so I don't know what they lean towards (not as easy as NBA MVP stuff). It'll be close. The scary thing is they're both young. How high will the bidding war for these guys be in a few years?
Old 10-10-2009, 09:51 AM
What a game last night between the Yanks and Twins. Some VERY questionable calls on both sides (the Yanks got fucked over numerous times by terrible strike calls, and the Twins got fucked over with that foul ball call near the end), but it was still a great game. Joe Nathan choked big time though.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Aargh! Why isn't Sabathia choking as he usually does in the postseason???

Well, if the Yankee$ do make it to the WS, I hope it's the Phillies who meet them there, since they're the more well-rounded team (and, thus, more capable of beating them...though their 'pen DOES worry me a bit).

Last edited by hoojib127; 10-19-2009 at 02:47 AM..
Old 10-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Magical finish by the Phillies today. I was lucky enough to switch to the channel just a few minutes before Rollins got the double. Amazing...if only it was the Giants :'(
Old 10-20-2009, 12:35 AM

Yeah, the Phitin' Phills seem to have a knack for some dramatic wins in their last few games. I was kind of bummed watching that because we were basically one out away from letting LA even the series and then suddenly Rollins smashes a 99 mph fastball for a two RBI double. Now, just like that, we have a much more favorable 3-1 situation and a legitimate chance of finishing the series in Game 5 in front of our crowd.

I think a lot of people were looking forward to a west coast match up for the World Series (Angels/Dodgers) but it looks increasingly more likely to be an east coast pairing. I got no complaints about that... though the Yankees do tend to worry me... a good deal...

Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.