Old 12-07-2004, 10:54 AM
The X Files

The first 3 seasons of The X Files have just been re-released on dvd at 34.99 a season (shop around and you'll get em for much less) and I thought it was about time to revisit the show

I watched Season 1 when it was first broadcast here 10 years ago and liked it then. If anything I think it is better now. Right from the off the characters and stories are interesting and it isn't afraid to do things the audience won't be expecting. Add to that the fact that it magaes to be scary and, frequently, funny and I'd say this ranks as a great first season.

My favourite episodes:
Squeeze
Ice
Fire (The interplay of Mulder and Scully is excellent here)
Beyond the Sea (fantastic acting from Gillian Anderson and guest Brad Dourif, and a nice twist on the formula of the show)
Darkness Falls
Tooms

There's a couple of duffers in there as well (Jersey Devil, Space and GenderBender come to mind) but overall it is a high quality start for what was, for some time, one of the best reasons to have a TV.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:57 AM
I thought Season 1 of The X-Files was most notable for Scully's enormous hair-do.

She looked like she'd wandered in off the set of Dallas or Dynasty.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Nice to revisit such a great show. I still argue that I think Scully and Mulder were two of the best leads to come around in network TV in a long time.

I also contend that Season 3 is the BEST season of TV we ahve ever seen. I mean come on it has Jose Chungs From outer Space and Clyde Buchmans Final Repose among many other speiodes. The episodes of this season really pushed to me what great network TV could be.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:38 PM

I love the X Files but seems as I've got the whole 9 Seasons on Limited Edition VHS I really couldnt justify spending 89.99 on each box set but now they are 26 or so on Amazon.co.uk and Play.com that was the excuse I was waiting for. Season One is good, its what got me into the series and made me a sad geeky X-Phile. The series lost all identitit when it moved production to LA from Vancouver around season Six I think?

Ice is one of my favourite episodes ever.

IFaves

ICE
SQUEEZE
YOUNG AT HEART
E.B.E.
THE ERLENMEYER FLASK

Worst

JERSEY DEVIL
SPACE

Overall out of ten...8?
Old 12-08-2004, 09:19 AM
I think I got into during Season 3, and then I was hooked. I never knew they moved production up to Vancouver though?
Old 12-08-2004, 09:44 AM
They moved production from Vancouver.

It always used to make me chuckle as I know the city & environs well so invariably recognised which bits were doubling as Washington, Seattle, or wherever the show was set that week.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:28 AM
I'll start by saying, single best tv show ever!!

First three seasons were the best by far but i've got like 40 x-files tapes i spent mega $$ on back in the day and im finding it hard to fork out way more cash on the dvds. Although the last few series when mulder was in and out started to bug me so i will leave them alone!

Favorite episode would have to be sqeeze, i remember watchin it when i was like 12 and i didnt sleep properly for nights!!!
Old 01-13-2005, 01:36 PM
I used to watch this show religiously - everyone knew not to call me during X-Files!!! I lost interest when they started focusing so much on the conspiracy stuff and not enough on the really freaky/weird stuff that made the show so creepy: and after Duchovny left I stopped watching it altogether. I'd probably get the first four seasons on DVD but that's it. (That's how it was with Buffy the Vampire Slayer too: I just got the first four seasons.)
Old 01-14-2005, 02:16 AM
Does anyone know which season it is when that alien shapeshifter dude is with Scully but looks like Mulder and the cliffhanger ends with the real Mulder calling Scully to warn her about him?
Old 01-15-2005, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovemovies
Does anyone know which season it is when that alien shapeshifter dude is with Scully but looks like Mulder and the cliffhanger ends with the real Mulder calling Scully to warn her about him?
You're testing the old noggin now but I think it was in Season 3 and the double episode of Piper Maru and Apocrypha?
Old 01-17-2005, 01:59 PM
I was a fan of the show. I stopped watching once David Duchovny "disappeared". Then it went downhill from there.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:32 PM
i started watching it constantly around season 4 but around season 6 i lost interest, i did watch the last season which i quite liked and after watching some of the reruns from the first few seasons it wasnt as great as i remember
Old 01-27-2005, 10:07 AM
I loooooooove the X-Files. Been watching since ep 1. And as if I needed to geekify myself even further to my fellow Schmoes, my cats' names are Fox and Scully.

I was home sick with a cold last Friday and ended up seeing an X Files mini-marathon on tv. They showed the inbreeding episode! Can't remember the title, but wow, it's gotta be one of the best they made. So creepy! The fact that they had to put a warning disclosure before airing it was awesome.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Twisted Sister
And as if I needed to geekify myself even further to my fellow Schmoes, my cats' names are Fox and Scully.
Hah ha. Cool!
Old 01-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bullet Tooth Tony
Hah ha. Cool!
Thanks. They're like, going on 10! Someone just gave me a kitten for Christmas and I was running through names... Cancerman? Nope. Skinner? Maybe. Kroycheck (sp?) ? No.

Finally settled on a totally unrelated show: QUAGMIRE. Giggady!
Old 02-03-2005, 06:17 PM
I actually never watched this show when it was on TV. I was only 8 when it first came on though. I think I saw the movie, but don't remember it all. Recently netflix kept recomending the show to me. They constantly threw the season box sets on my main page. So I finally rented the first season disc and I loved it. Just threw every disc up to the end of the fifth season on my queue. Isn't that great.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by moose1132
I actually never watched this show when it was on TV. I was only 8 when it first came on though. I think I saw the movie, but don't remember it all. Recently netflix kept recomending the show to me. They constantly threw the season box sets on my main page. So I finally rented the first season disc and I loved it. Just threw every disc up to the end of the fifth season on my queue. Isn't that great.
I would love to watch the show for the first time again you lucky sod.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:22 AM
I like the X files but seasons 4,5 and 6 were kind of crap.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:44 AM
True but I noticed 4,5,6 had some scattered great epsiodes.

Such as:

Small Potatoes
Bad Blood
The Unnatural
Three Of A Kind

And my two personal fanorite undaerrted epsiodes:

Home- one of the creepiest episodes of any televeision series Ive ever seen on TV

Folie A Duex- About the monster that "hides in the light". The last scene always crepped me out.

"Mrs. Wilson it's here!!!"
Old 08-24-2009, 04:12 PM
I was a bit young when this first started (about 5 years-old), but I'm almost through the first season and I'm FUCKING LOVING IT. What a brilliant show. I think it definitely takes somethin' special to make me, a guy whose never wanted to be affiliated with any kind of law enforcement in my entire life, actually consider becoming an FBI agent (too bad because of my questionable past, they wouldn't touch me with a 251/2 ft. pole, but I digress...). Mulder & Scully are one of the great television drama duos, but Fox Mulder is especially a badass character (and I typically hate Duchovny. Californication is dogshit. And what kind of a douchebag goes out and cheats on a fine ass woman like Tea Leoni?!).

I love the fairly antiquated nature of the show, considering its 16 years-old, but it doesn't really feel dated at all in its technology or in its known scientific facts. And I also love the part of the formula of the show in that every time they finally have some kind of evidence of an X File, something always happens, whether its accidentally destroyed or taken by the government or any number of unfortunate things. Its almost a comedic shtick, like trying to figure out how the black cat is gonna get the white stripe downs its back in those old Pepe Le Pew cartoons. I've also had a lot of fun spotting the young(er) actors throughout here and there (Ex. Seth Green, Doug Hutchinson, Brad Dourif, Titus Welliver, Paul Ben Victor, Zeljko Ivanek etc.)

Anyway, I'm currently downloading the 2nd season. At this rate, I'll be done with the entire series in a week or two

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 08-24-2009 at 11:18 PM..
Old 08-24-2009, 04:24 PM
I didn't really get into it until the second season although upon purchasing Season One on DVD, it wasn't half-bad! The best season was the 1996-1997 scarefest that featured the best X-Files episode ever: Home! The Peacock brothers and their limbless mother, that Johnny Mathis song, the ultra-gory FX (for television at least)...if you haven't seen it do yourself a favor and watch it! It's as disturbing as the Killer Bob reveal on Twin Peaks!

Last edited by Antonio141; 08-26-2009 at 10:19 AM..
Old 08-25-2009, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Tooth Tony View Post
You're testing the old noggin now but I think it was in Season 3 and the double episode of Piper Maru and Apocrypha?
A bit late since I asked this question years ago and you answered years ago but your answer is actually incorrect.

It was a season 2 episode, not season 3. And the title of part 1 was Colony. Part 2 was titled End Game.

I know because I have them on dvd as part of the X-Files Mythology Collection titled Abduction. I also have Colonization, Black Oil and Super Soldiers. Basically I have all mythology episodes. I don't have any of the stand alone stories. Which is fine because although there are plenty of stand alone episodes that I love, most of my favorite are mythology eps anyway.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:04 AM
My brother poked me into watching this show recently after buying Season One on DVD and I'm now wondering why the fuck did it take me so long to get into this show, considering I am a fan of Fringe, which is really, a prettier and more extreme version of this show. I just wrapped up the episodes Shapes and Darkness Falls, which were both great. Not only do Duchovny and Anderson have great chemistry together, but I'm surprised by the dark and dry humor, as well as the cases themselves and the means to solve them.

Cop: "What kind of animal could lay a cocoon this big?"
Mulder: "The Itsy-Bitsy Spider..."
Old 11-02-2009, 10:44 AM
I really hated it when they revealed Mulder's sister was taken by ghosts.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Word. I just finished the 4th season and am about to start the 5th. So far, the 3rd has been my favorite. Still, I'm enjoying the series immensely. However, it is sucking a lot of time out of my life at present, so I decided that I'm gonna take a break after I finish the 5th season, then watch the first movie, Fight the Future....

But yeah, soon, drc, you should be comin' up on my fav eps from the first season, "Beyond the Sea," "E.B.E.," and "The Erlenmeyer Flash."

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 11-02-2009 at 11:42 AM..
Old 03-26-2010, 08:29 PM
So, I picked up the show for a brief time and watched the first season through and through but dropped it as I wasn't quite "hooked" on it.

I've been getting the urge to pick the series back up, though. I recently watched the two movies (which I probably shouldn't have) and really enjoyed the first one (only thing I liked about the second was Billy Connolly).

I guess my question is, how do the other seasons compare to the first? I've heard that the series grows to be its most dynamic through season 3-6. While I liked the first season, it wasn't enough for me to say "oh, I'd like to spend another 100+ hours of my life watching this show." I guess I'm looking for a little guidance. Smiert, drc, anybody who knows their X-Files, what are the strongest seasons and are their seasons I should just avoid?

Thanks for any input in advance.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Season 1 isnt great.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:26 PM
I'd watch through the first 5 for sure. 3 to 5 is when the show is at its peak and there are a shitload of classic episodes in those three seasons. Beyond that, it falls off and you can check out some of the mythology episodes and some good standalone ones but you don't have to watch them all.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:56 PM
I actually enjoyed Season 1 a lot, but no doubt, its not their strongest season. But, as Bake said, it gets progressively better. If you'd rather hunt and peck for some great episodes from seasons 2-5, I'd recommend: "Humbug," "Soft Light," "D.P.O.," "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose," "War of the Coprophages," "Pusher," "Home," "Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man," "Paper Hearts," "The Unusual Suspects" (origins of The Lone Gunmen) and "The End."

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 03-26-2010 at 11:41 PM..
Old 03-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Wow, thanks for the OnStar-like quick assistance!

I guess I may pick up again with Season 2 since it contains a few episodes Smiert mentioned (Humbug and Soft Light) and because there's apparently a monster episode early in season--noticed this when I just dropped by it's IMDb page and the creature looks like something from a Guillermo del Torro movie. I'll probably watch the first disc of the season, just to know were the story goes post-Season 1, and then skip to the discs that contain the episodes Smiert mentioned.

Then I'll make with Bake and start tuning in on Season 3. According to a few reviewers on Netflix, there's also more plot-connected episodes in Season 3 which makes me excited. I guess I've never really been one for stand alone episodes, which is why I found myself not caring much about half the episodes in season one (although there were definitely a few great episodes in that season).

Really appreciate the feedback, guys/gals. Schmoes come to aid once again!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Well I loved all the seasons personally. That said, there is no doubt that seasons 8 and 9 are not as good as the rest since they are largely without Mulder. I did enjoy those seasons, Robert Patrick was an acceptable substitute for David Duchovney. But it was definitely not the same without Mulder.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCaptain4 View Post
According to a few reviewers on Netflix, there's also more plot-connected episodes in Season 3 which makes me excited. I guess I've never really been one for stand alone episodes, which is why I found myself not caring much about half the episodes in season one (although there were definitely a few great episodes in that season).
Ahh. Well if you're more into mytharc eps, then scratch my last list (though they are some of the best stand-alone eps), and go for "Colony," "Endgame," "Anasazi," "The Blessing Way," "Paperclip," "Nisei," "731," "Piper Maru," "Apocrypha," "Talitha Cumi," "Herrenvolk," "Tungusta," & "Terma."
Old 03-27-2010, 06:48 AM

Loved this show at the time, Gillian Anderson certainly earned her sexiest woman in the world crown (such an unconventional beauty!). I even liked it in the Doggett years, Robert Patrick always good (as was Lucy Lawless)

But I think they kept milking it for too long, they should have resolved the overall conspiracy long ago. Didn't even go to watch the last movie. Did anyone?

Best ep? The one with the genie, love the final end scene where she just sits in a cafe, enjoying a good cup of coffee, watching the world go by and appreciating what she has and not worrying about what she hasn't. Makes me smile every time! Also like the weatherman and the ep with the kid who can control insects.

Doggett (watching video footage of a teenager whose brain was eaten by insects performing moronic, jackass style stunts) "I solved the mystery, the kid had crap for brains and the flies couldn't resist!"

Scariest ep? Home, where they meet the 'anti-Waltons', this hillbilly family who have been inbreeding since the 'War of northen aggression' and go around murdering people in this old cadallic to the tune of Johnny Mathis' Wonderful. Oddly it's the scariest ep but one without any paranormal or supernatural aspect at all
Old 04-03-2010, 07:29 AM
ALL 9 SEASONS OF TXF HAVE BEEN ADDED TO NETFLIX'S "WATCH INSTANTLY!"

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 04-03-2010 at 07:52 AM..
Old 04-05-2010, 07:58 AM
I loved this show. I'm currently on the 8th season. I miss Mulder.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Look-y what my girlfriend got me...

I'm thinkin' she's a keeper
Old 06-20-2012, 02:56 AM
Season 2 episode 1 Little Green Men is probably my favorite episode of the series.

Smiert...nice Zippo!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 PM
haha what a nice show. also i should mention that Dana Scully owned a land in Srilanka. and there was a huge problem she faced in here.