Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Shade by Neil Jordan
Ulysses by James Joyce
Old 11-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Pet Sematary and The Stand by Stephen King. Pet Sematary was excellent and I'm reading The Stand right now which is also excellent.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:40 PM
Lord of the Flies - William Golding
Empire of the Ants - Bernard Werber
Old 12-01-2005, 02:37 AM
Survivor- Chuck Palahniuk
Old 02-21-2006, 11:12 AM
i picked up harry potter books 1-5 on paperback the other day
Old 02-21-2006, 10:33 PM
Oh, I didn't know this thread existed.
Actual book wise, the last ones I bought (not counting King's Cell):

The Body - Hanif Kureishi
Ulysses - James Joyce
The Collected Poems of W.B. Yeats
No Exit & Three Other Plays (second copy) - Jean Paul Sartre
Old 03-11-2006, 09:07 PM
  • A Piece Of Cake
  • Cell
Old 03-12-2006, 08:43 PM
I finally bought Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:08 PM
the

Last edited by andrew33; 10-20-2007 at 02:09 PM..
Old 03-18-2006, 09:19 PM
the

Last edited by andrew33; 10-20-2007 at 02:09 PM..
Old 03-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Have any of the people who bought Ulysses (dman and LazyBoy) tried reading it yet? I haven't bothered, I don't think I'd get it. I tried reading Dubliners, got about half way through and decided I'd finish it later, it was boring the crap out of me.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:44 PM
picked up

after watching Capote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bluesbrother965
Have any of the people who bought Ulysses (dman and LazyBoy) tried reading it yet? I haven't bothered, I don't think I'd get it. I tried reading Dubliners, got about half way through and decided I'd finish it later, it was boring the crap out of me.
I haven't started reading yet but I don't have to.
Out of all those books, the only one I bought for myself was the poetry of Yeats. The others were for school.
We haven't started reading/analyizing Ulysses for eng. lit class yet.
We should pretty soon, but the teacher never said for sure we were going to. He said pick it up later - I decided to get it before.
I read Dubliners a few years back and remember liking it.
Anyway, today picked up a batch of new books, some inspired by but not for my philosophy class:

The Sickness Unto Death - Soren Kierkegaard

The Trial - Franz Kafka

Old School - Tobias Wolff

The Foucalt Reader
Old 04-29-2006, 10:05 PM

I am most likly the only person, who hasn't read this book yet. I hope to read this the week before the movie comes out because I know once I see the movie I will never read the book. I also hope to knock off alot of other books this summer that I have collected last fall and winter.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:53 PM
On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I am finding it hard to get into because it is off to a slow start.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cerealkiller182
On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I am finding it hard to get into because it is off to a slow start.

A good book, but if you think that the beginning's slow, it's not really gonna change. It was pretty different from what I expected when I read it, so I didn't really like it until I adjusted to the fact that it wasn't going to be like I thought.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:28 AM
I remember reading On The Road in lit class and me and another guy had one heated argument during discussions. I despised the book. I thought the book was unbelievably dull and I hated it with every ounce of my soul. The other guy thought it was one of the best books hed ever read. lets just say our argumenbt was heated.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:57 PM
I read excerpts from On the Road for my paper on the counter-culture of the 60s, but I didn't get into much. Not enough to read the whole thing fully, but I may do that if I'm bored over the summer.

Chinton, I finally recieved "Flicker" in the mail today.
How is it if you've started reading it?
Old 05-01-2006, 08:43 PM
I finished it yesterday. Great great book but prepare for a long haul cause its deliberately paced, thick, and dense with film d etails. Basically be forwarned that while it may sound like it has an action packed plot (film student discovers secret society that plots to use B films to brainwash the masses and potentially bring about Armageddon) its actually very much a mystery with the main character being the detective. Also it deals a lot with film theory and its impact on our culture throughout the last 50 years. The plot doesnt even really being til page 200. Its a great book and I loved it just dont expect and a ction packed book. Becuase of this I dont know how they are going to film it. Add a very bleak and sad ending Im curious to s ee h ow it turns out.

Now Im reading The Corrections By Jonathan Frazen which is great. Zemeckis may do the movie.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Where do you find out about all these books chinton?
This book seems right up my alley though.
I wasn't really expecting action from what I've read and I'm very intrigued. I reccomend 'Old School.' I got through a lot of it yesterday, and the book is amazing. A thinking book with no action too - it seems as it's the author's memoirs about university, but it's a fascinating read.
Flicker is long so it'll take me two weeks to get through it because of school and stuff, but I'm looking forward to it.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Lol Ill look Old School up. Corrections Ive had forever finally now getting to it.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:37 PM

Little Children
Old 05-31-2006, 12:01 PM
Old 06-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Fight Club
Diary
Invisible Monsters
all by Chuck Palalniuhk
Old 06-03-2006, 04:23 PM
William Faulkner - As I Lay Dying
Gabriel Garcia Marquez - 100 Years of Solitude
Sinclair Lewis - Babbit
Old 06-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Quote:
William Faulkner - As I Lay Dying
Gabriel Garcia Marquez - 100 Years of Solitude
Sinclair Lewis - Babbit
I want to read all three of those.
Babbit looks especially interesting.
100 years of Solitude I'm not sure about, since I've tried to read it but couldn't get into despite it's rank as a classic.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Rose Madder by Stephen King and 1984 by George Orwell
Old 06-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dman476
I want to read all three of those.
Babbit looks especially interesting.
100 years of Solitude I'm not sure about, since I've tried to read it but couldn't get into despite it's rank as a classic.
Yeah, I don't think I'll read it for a while, less because of difficulty but more because of it's length. There are some shorter books I'd rather go through first.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:26 PM
dman

What do you think of Boys Life.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:27 AM
The Waste Lands by Stephen King.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:14 PM
The Centaur by John Updike
Rabbit, Run by John Updike
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

If you guys haven't noticed, I have a terrible habit of buying books faster than I can read them.

dman, I'm reading the Centaur when I'm done with Light and August (taking a while because of length, last week was finals week so I didn't get much reading in, but I'm still lovin' it).
Old 06-11-2006, 03:13 AM
Okay, so I missed two very interesting posts. Why did I not check up on this thread earlier?
Regardless...

Quote:
Originally posted by chinton
dman
What do you think of Boys Life.
I've just finished 350 pages, and I must say, I've never read a book (well, maybe the Centaur only) this quick. It is so engrossing - the story of the young boy, the mystery surrounding everything, Lucifer the feces throwing - people killing monkey, and everything that happens in between. I love McCammon's way of immersing the reader in the surrounding with his meek attention to the way of the era. His descriptions of everything really, including the pop references to '64 are a joy to read.
I will probably finish this by tomorrow, and I will go out and buy another McCammon book shortly after.
So far it has been absolutely astounding, a 10/10 novel.
The mystery can get a bit much for me, but the rest of the book is filled with charms. Thanks alot for the reccomendation Chinton, glad I discovered this gem.

Quote:
The Centaur by John Updike
Rabbit, Run by John Updike
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

If you guys haven't noticed, I have a terrible habit of buying books faster than I can read them.

dman, I'm reading the Centaur when I'm done with Light and August (taking a while because of length, last week was finals week so I didn't get much reading in, but I'm still lovin' it).
Now on to you blues brother - that, young man, is the glowing review I want to hear from you when you're writing about the Centaur
Either way, I'm happy that you finally got the Centaur.
Light in the August sounds great, and I will probably be picking that up along with Watt sometime next week when I finish Boy's Life and Little Children.
I'm like you though, I want to buy more books than my time scope can allow.
I haven't finished Kafka's the Trial, and despite it being a great book from what I can tell, I have no desire to finish reading it. I should though.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:30 AM
Nightmares and Dreamscapes, wanna try and read it before the mini-series begins
Old 06-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Crazy story. I had lunch with my dad today, and we were going by the bookstore that I usually go to so I told him I needed to pop in.
I found Light in August and Watt, but then he went on looking for books for me saying they're excellent. I'm like, that's way too much - I don't need that many books. And he's like relax, I'll pay for it, but I still didn't need so much books. Anyway, he ended up getting me all these:

Light in August by William Faulkner
A History of God by Karen Armstrong
The Myth of Sisyphus and other essays by Albert Camus
Beyond Good and Evil, Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Human-All-Too-Human by Friedrich Nietzsche
Maxims by La Rochefoucauld
Blue World by Robert McCammon
How to talk to a liberal (if you must) by Ann Coulter
Old 06-13-2006, 02:49 AM
Well, your dad must be a hell of a conservative.

Good luck with all that Nietzche...I have Beyond Good and Evil and Thus Spoke Zarathustra. I've read the prologue of Zarathustra, more or less made sense (got an 11/10 on my analysis of it for Euro, so I must've been understanding something), have only peeked into the rest of the book, looked pretty bizarre. Does your dad think it makes sense?

Oh, and, of course, enjoy the Faulkner.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Well, your dad must be a hell of a conservative.

Good luck with all that Nietzche...I have Beyond Good and Evil and Thus Spoke Zarathustra. I've read the prologue of Zarathustra, more or less made sense (got an 11/10 on my analysis of it for Euro, so I must've been understanding something), have only peeked into the rest of the book, looked pretty bizarre. Does your dad think it makes sense?

Oh, and, of course, enjoy the Faulkner.
Yes, he is quite the conservative...and he thought it'd be useful if I read something by a conservative author rather than a liberal one for once.
My dad adores Nietzsche and I have no idea why.
We went over some of his philosophy in some philosophy class at school and I always found other true existentialists much more interesting. I even made my final paper on how I think Kierkegaard's Knight of Faith and Nietzsche's Over-Man are both metaphorical loads of crap for the state of life in people - and how futile it is to change...but that's another story.
Sartre and Camus are interesting philosophers (well, Camus not so much) because they examine life through their perspective that actually states their metaphysics clearly regarding life's choice.
Nietzsche is considered an existentialist by some, but I don't think that is very accurate. His "Will to Power" and "God is Dead" points were revolutionary to time but his work does have some determinism through science in it. But he really likes Nietzsche, so I guess I'll read it just to familiarize myself with his work more.
By the way, 11/10? How is that possible?
In any way, good job.
And I'm looking forward to Faulkner.
I finished off Little Children yesterday so that I can now start the Faulkner book.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:29 PM
I recently purchased Flags of Our Fathers as well as the illustrated editions of Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:29 PM
A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
Old 07-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dman476

(On Boy's Life):
I've just finished 350 pages, and I must say, I've never read a book (well, maybe the Centaur only) this quick. It is so engrossing - the story of the young boy, the mystery surrounding everything, Lucifer the feces throwing - people killing monkey, and everything that happens in between. I love McCammon's way of immersing the reader in the surrounding with his meek attention to the way of the era. His descriptions of everything really, including the pop references to '64 are a joy to read.
I will probably finish this by tomorrow, and I will go out and buy another McCammon book shortly after.
So far it has been absolutely astounding, a 10/10 novel.
The mystery can get a bit much for me, but the rest of the book is filled with charms. Thanks alot for the reccomendation Chinton, glad I discovered this gem.
I've read that book four times now, it's one of the best books I've ever read. It's mysterious, anecdotal, fantastic, and charming all in one novel. Hard to balance all those themes at once. I have recommended it to more people than I have for any other book. Everyone's loved it. Anyways, thought I'd just throw that out there.
Other McCammond I've read isn't as good as Boy's Life by a long shot, but I find that many people enjoy Swan Song (I thought it was ok), and The Wolf's Hour is a pretty kickass, ultra-violent werewolf spy movie along the lines of Indiana Jones and James Bond put together.
I've read a few of his other books, too, and while they're passable reading, they're NOTHING like Boy's Life.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KcMsterpce
I've read that book four times now, it's one of the best books I've ever read. It's mysterious, anecdotal, fantastic, and charming all in one novel. Hard to balance all those themes at once. I have recommended it to more people than I have for any other book. Everyone's loved it. Anyways, thought I'd just throw that out there.
Other McCammond I've read isn't as good as Boy's Life by a long shot, but I find that many people enjoy Swan Song (I thought it was ok), and The Wolf's Hour is a pretty kickass, ultra-violent werewolf spy movie along the lines of Indiana Jones and James Bond put together.
I've read a few of his other books, too, and while they're passable reading, they're NOTHING like Boy's Life.
Glad you like it too.
It's a tremendous book, and it has become one of my favorites as well.
I recently bougght McCamon's "Blue Worl" so I'll see how that turns out.

Anyway, to make it official, I bought these today:
Babbitt - Sinclair Lewis
Double Indemnity - James Cain