Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dman476

Wowee, is that even possible?
make room in your pm box mr. dman!
Old 06-07-2007, 12:30 AM
Done.

This is mysterious and exciting...
Old 06-07-2007, 06:20 AM
HOLY SHIT!!!! IF DAYS OF HEAVEN IS COMING, I MIGHT BE THE HAPPIEST MAN ALIVE!!!

CRITERION DOES TERRENCE MALICK!!!
Old 06-07-2007, 03:01 PM
told 'ya SamSanchez
Old 06-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MisterChristian
told 'ya SamSanchez
You sure did. I will never doubt you now
Old 06-15-2007, 03:20 PM
SEPTEMBER RELEASES:

#400:

#401:

#404:

#405:

#406:

#406 is Martha Graham: Dance on Film.

FUCK YEAH! at the Jim Jarmusch titles. Only surprise here is Martha Kroll: Dance on Film, which I can't say is a very pleasant surprise.

EDIT* Also, Permanent Vacation is included in the Stranger Than Paradise package, so three Jim Jarmusch in one month is GREAT!

Last edited by SamSanchez; 06-15-2007 at 03:32 PM..
Old 06-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Fuck, that's awesome, but that sucks.

September was an expensive month as it is (too much good tv stuff), but then there are three cool $40 criterion sets as well. Shit.
That's going to be a heavy blow, anyway, yeah, I'll be getting the Jarmusch films and Robinson Crusoe.

I wonder if the Crusoe dvd is gonna be good, that cover is just too good though.

By the way, what's better, Down By Law or Night on Earth or Stranger Than Paradise?
Old 06-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Quote:
By the way, what's better, Down By Law or Night on Earth or Stranger Than Paradise?
Night on Earth, for me, although I could make a case for all three films. There's just something about (a) Tom Waits music and (b) a sad, melancholy story to end the whole film that makes Night on Earth a more memorable viewing experience.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Yeah, all three are amazing. I love Stranger than Paradise, I own the currently OOP mgm version, don't mind double dipping at all.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:28 PM
I haven't seen Down By Law, so I guess a good way to start would be those two.
Thanks for the input guys...

Jarmusch is a mixed bag for me, but I hope I do end up liking these.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Hey Sam, I have one more question.
Do you know if Confidentially Yours could be released by Criterion?
It's just that it's finally at a decent used price point on Amazon ($13) and I was thinking that it'd be a good buy if there was no Criterion planned.

What do you think?

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Hey Sam, I have one more question.
Do you know if Confidentially Yours could be released by Criterion?
It's just that it's finally at a decent used price point on Amazon ($13) and I was thinking that it'd be a good buy if there was no Criterion planned.

What do you think?

Thanks.
To be honest, I haven't heard TOO much, but considering it is out of print, and also former release was Fox Lorber, I'd say it definitely would be a possibilty. Considering Criterion has released several titles formerly released by Fox Lorber.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the info.
I don't know what I should do...I mean 13 bucks isn't a big deal...well, I'll think about it.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the info.
I don't know what I should do...I mean 13 bucks isn't a big deal...well, I'll think about it.
Yeah, I already own a copy of it as well, that I bought back at my store when I used to manage an FYE, we got one in used and bought it for about $5. If it does get released by Criterion though, I wouldn't imagine it would be this year, or even early next year. Although, it would very welcome into the collection.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Is the film any good Sam?
Old 06-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Is the film any good Sam?
Its been a while since I've seen it, but it's definitely recommended, and would be very worthy of a Criterion release. If you're a fan of Truffaut, it's worth checking out, no doubt.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SamSanchez
Yeah, all three are amazing. I love Stranger than Paradise, I own the currently OOP mgm version, don't mind double dipping at all.
Ditto.

And if Criterion picks up Dead Man, I may just die from the coolness.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Ingmar Bergman's The Magician was apparently quoted as "coming soon" for 2008 to Criterion.

Also, seems like a high possibilty of seeing Monte Hellman's Two-Lane Blacktop in the collection some time in the near future.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Two Lane Blacktop on Criterion???? wow.

I have the anchor bay tin edition so i dont think i'd want to pick that up but i'm surprised Criterion will distribute it.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:42 PM
I have a small question.
WHAT THE FUCK is Michael Bay movies doing in Criterion?
They literally put Michael Bay, who only knows how to blow shit up and be cheesy, besides great masters like Bergman and Kurosawa. WTF again. They dont even have films by Lynch or could have more by John Ford for instance. I mean Bay should be last on their list. Explain please.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by soad
I have a small question.
They literally put Michael Bay, who only knows how to blow shit up and be cheesy, besides great masters like Bergman and Kurosawa. WTF again. They dont even have films by Lynch or could have more by John Ford for instance. I mean Bay should be last on their list. Explain please.
Criterion's gotta eat too y'know.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by soad

What's really funny is that Bay himself asks this question on the commentary for the Armageddon Criterion.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Pretty much films like Armageddon, The Rock and Chasing Amy are put it in the collection to be money makers for the company. To be able to get the name out there more and be able to fund more releases. As much as I dislike that they are in there (for the record, I enjoy Kevin Smith but Chasing Amy is pretty bad), I guess they have their reasons.

Also, not all films are accessible to Criterion, which is why no Lynch is present and why Ford isn't greatly represented.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Apparently Luke and Owen Wilson stated in an interview recently that supposedly Criterion is working on release a 2-Disc version of Bottle Rocket.

Not sure if there is any truth to their statement, but that would be very welcome
Old 07-07-2007, 04:43 PM
From what I heard, a Bottle Rocket Criterion DVD will never happen...apparently the folks at Criterion aren't fans of Wes Anderson anymore. Also, since Bottle Rocket is a Sony title, not sure if Sony licenses out titles to Criterion?

Looking forward to October's announcements right Sam We know, they don't. HEHE
Old 07-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Quote:
From what I heard, a Bottle Rocket Criterion DVD will never happen...apparently the folks at Criterion aren't fans of Wes Anderson anymore. Also, since Bottle Rocket is a Sony title, not sure if Sony licenses out titles to Criterion?

Looking forward to October's announcements right Sam We know, they don't. HEHE
Yes, VERY excited. Two greats and two I'm interested in checking out.

But yes....I pretty much had no hope for Bottle Rocket to be released, and usually any news about it, I kind of just take it as a rumor. But I don't how reliable a source would Luke and Owen Wilson be, but there as an audio clip of the interview done by the NY Times I believe (?) as them stating it would be released by Criterion. I believe it less than 50% but I would surely love that if true.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:01 PM
yeah who knows what's in the pipeline for 2008...hell, I didn't see a two-disc Two-Lane Blacktop coming either. My boss was surprised too!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:26 AM
These are the newest rumored releases for Criterion:

Made in the USA (Jean-Luc Godard)
Le Petit Soldat (Jean-Luc Godard)
Les Carabiniers (Jean-Luc Godard)

Apparently, somebody at Lionsgate stated that Criterion currently holds the rights to all of the above.

Sawdust and Tinsel (Ingmar Bergman) - Liner notes have been quoted as already written for a future release.

Two-Lane Blacktop (Monte Hellman) - In further news about this, it appears that most likely is coming and that Criterion plans to include a brand new documentary about the film in the release.

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (Paul Scharder) - The word is out that Warner no longer holds the rights to this film and it is rumored for a 2008 release on Criterion. (Thumbs up to Mister Christian....right again you were)
Old 07-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (Paul Scharder) [/B]
I have the WB release, but I haven't watched it yet. Anybody seen this?
Old 07-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
it IS coming

and I'm sure there's more Bergman and Godard coming. Breathless is coming in October.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Quote:
it IS coming

and I'm sure there's more Bergman and Godard coming. Breathless is coming in October.
You are the man....any word on Summer With Monika or any other Bergman titles?
Old 07-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Sam and Mr. Christian,

YOU GUYS ROCK!

I don't say it enough.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:03 PM
So the Criterion Newsletter is in and it appears that Two-Lane Blacktop has been officially confirmed via this:

Car/James Taylor reference = Two-Lane Blacktop

also...there is a reference to Pierrot le fou being in theaters which just further solidifies that a Criterion for it will most likely follow shortly thereafter.

Last edited by SamSanchez; 07-12-2007 at 08:07 PM..
Old 07-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Sam, check your PM - I responded to your message.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Nice...I responded back already.

Also, more speculation by me here, but in the newsletter Steve Buscemi gives us his Top 10 in the Criterion Collection. His involvement with Criterion is pretty limited, I believe he was in Armageddon and also produced and took part in Symbiopsychotaxiplasm. It may be just that, that he is in the collection and they decided to put his Top 10 simply for that reason and that's all.

...but sometimes the person giving the Top 10 has something coming from Criterion soon....so my question may be, could this possibly be a hint at something from Steve Buscemi coming soon? Maybe either Trees Lounge or possibly In the Soup? Again, only speculation on my part, and it probably hints on nothing at all, but its fun to speculate.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Nice...I responded back already.

Also, more speculation by me here, but in the newsletter Steve Buscemi gives us his Top 10 in the Criterion Collection. His involvement with Criterion is pretty limited, I believe he was in Armageddon and also produced and took part in Symbiopsychotaxiplasm. It may be just that, that he is in the collection and they decided to put his Top 10 simply for that reason and that's all.

...but sometimes the person giving the Top 10 has something coming from Criterion soon....so my question may be, could this possibly be a hint at something from Steve Buscemi coming soon? Maybe either Trees Lounge or possibly In the Soup? Again, only speculation on my part, and it probably hints on nothing at all, but its fun to speculate.
Could be Animal Factory... but I highly doubt it. It would most likely be Trees Lounge.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Trees Lounge makes sense as the widescreen special edition is out of print...

I met Steve Buscemi when he premiered Trees Lounge at the Toronto Film Festival back in 1996. He signed my Reservoir Dogs VHS tape and my Trees Lounge ticket and I have a picture with him!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:55 PM
More speculation on my part here:

Since with the recent confirmation of Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters, I am to suspect that Warner's rights to the film may have fallen back to American Zoetrope, which is how Criterion might have managed to grab the film since Warner is notorious for having nothing to do with Criterion. I guess I want to speculate if this means that Barfly (which the OOP version I see going for $50-$100) may be a possible future release since it has gone through the same as Mishima may have gone through.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:51 PM
hmmm Barfly...Barbet Schroeder. Maybe as there's a couple of his films available from Criterion.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Quote:
hmmm Barfly...Barbet Schroeder. Maybe as there's a couple of his films available from Criterion.
Precisely the reason why I wouldn't think it's TOO farfetched.