Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Damn, Berlin Alexanderplatz is expensive!

125 for 1 film?

Oh well, I guess I'll be renting that through netflix...for three consecutive out-ers.

Anyway, I'll buy the Bergman film and rent the others.
The Lady Vanishes might be a buy actually...is it any good?
Old 08-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Quote:
SPECIAL EDITION SEVEN-DISC SET FEATURES

* New high-definition digital transfer, from the 2006 restoration by the Fassbinder Foundation and Bavaria Media, and supervised and approved by director of photography Xaver Schwarzenberger

* Two new documentaries by Fassbinder Foundation president Juliane Lorenz: one featuring interviews with the cast and crew, the other on the restoration

* Hans Dieter Hartl's 1980 documentary The Making of "Berlin Alexanderplatz"

* Phil Jutzi's 1931, ninety-minute film of Alfred Doblin's novel, from a screenplay cowritten by Doblin himself

* New video interview with Peter Jelavich, author of Berlin Alexanderplatz: Radio, Film, and the Death of Weimar Culture

* New and improved English subtitle translation

* PLUS: An essay by filmmaker Tom Tykwer, reflections from Fassbinder, an interview with Schwarzenberger, and German author Thomas Steinfeld on the novel
That's WORTH the $124.95 MSRP price. Surprised it's not priced more. Imagine how much the restoration alone cost???

FIFTEEN HOURS...that's like $8 an hour You'll probably find this for around $100.

Perfect gift to ask for Christmas dman
Old 08-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MisterChristian
That's WORTH the $124.95 MSRP price. Surprised it's not priced more. Imagine how much the restoration alone cost???

FIFTEEN HOURS...that's like $8 an hour You'll probably find this for around $100.

Perfect gift to ask for Christmas dman
That is worth 125, but that's still a boatload of cash.
Not even sure I like Fassbinder that much, so I'll rent like the first two discs first before I ask for it, but yeah, good idea MisterChristian.

I was really hoping they would have like a 2 or 3 hour cut of the film (I remember there was rumored cut like that) on this set, but I guess 'twas not meant to be.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:03 AM
yeah....this month is AMAZING. I've said that pretty much every month so far this year, but that is just a testament to how great Criterion has been this year. But yeah, this months is truly damn near perfect. Berlin Alexanderplatz finally being released. I would glady shell out the $82 it would be on DVDPlanet.com (or at the actual store) as they sell them at 35% off retail.

And a Kurosawa in DRUNKEN ANGEL, quite possibly the title I've been looking forward to the most this year.

Plus, Sawdust and Tinsel, a new Bergman is always welcome. And a re-release of Lady Vanishes does not harm anything.

COVERS:

#413:

Old 08-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Fuckin' awesome.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:17 PM
So it seems that the possible December releases may be as follows:
Salo (Re-Release)
Two-Lane Blacktop
Pierrot le fou
Jour se leve

or maybe they toss in the Max Ophuls Box Set or the Human Condition Trilogy, two that they had promised for a 2007 release over a year ago.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SamSanchez
So it seems that the possible December releases may be as follows:
Salo (Re-Release)
Two-Lane Blacktop
Pierrot le fou
Jour se leve

or maybe they toss in the Max Ophuls Box Set or the Human Condition Trilogy, two that they had promised for a 2007 release over a year ago.
Yeah, December is the one I'm most excited about. It really could go either way.

You really think Pierror le fou could get released?
Old 08-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dman476
Yeah, December is the one I'm most excited about. It really could go either way.

You really think Pierror le fou could get released?
I've read that it was confirmed not too long ago via an e-mail that it was going to be a 2007 release...so only one month left for that, so its either December or '08 it is. I'm just hoping that the e-mail is right.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Quote:
I've read that it was confirmed not too long ago via an e-mail that it was going to be a 2007 release...so only one month left for that, so its either December or '08 it is. I'm just hoping that the e-mail is right.
Me too.

That's one film I can't wait to see.

Jour se Leve would be great too.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:11 PM
That Lady Vanishes cover is somewhat ugly. The others are good though.

I would LOVE to see the Human Condition Trilogy out on Criterion. I think that's the only thing I ever actually bothered to email them a request for.

And also, a question. I remember a little while back someone mentioned a possible Eclipse boxset of Mizoguchi. Do any of you know anything about that?
Old 08-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerslave
That Lady Vanishes cover is somewhat ugly. The others are good though.

I would LOVE to see the Human Condition Trilogy out on Criterion. I think that's the only thing I ever actually bothered to email them a request for.

And also, a question. I remember a little while back someone mentioned a possible Eclipse boxset of Mizoguchi. Do any of you know anything about that?
Yeah...a Kenji Mizoguchi Eclipse Set was confirmed in their original mission statement back in January, along with a Shohei Imamura set and Mikio Naruse set. I have no idea though when those will be specifically announced.

My guess though is that they may stray away from the auteur box sets in the next couple releases, as the first six have all been auteur sets. Already confirmed as a future Eclipse are a French New Wave set and a Samurai set. No specifics as to what each my consist of, but they both sound promising.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Check out the latest Criterion blog, where they discuss the effort put into the upcoming DVD of Days of Heaven.

Striking Gold

Very interesting

Also:

Quote:
I had just finished working in New York with legendary cinematographer John Bailey on Paul Schrader’s film Mishima...

Last edited by MisterChristian; 08-20-2007 at 08:22 AM..
Old 08-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Check out the latest Criterion blog, where they discuss the effort put into the upcoming DVD of Days of Heaven.

Striking Gold

Very interesting

Also:

That arouses me. Days of Heaven has always been one of my favorite films, I can't wait for this release.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HeavyFknMetal
That arouses me. Days of Heaven has always been one of my favorite films, I can't wait for this release.
Same here.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:19 PM
Apparently, Carl Theodor Dreyer's VAMPYR has been confirmed for a Criterion release. That is damn good news in my book.

Also, more David Mamet has been confirmed, no title was given though. I would wager probably HOMICIDE, which has yet to get a Region 1 release.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Or maybe THE SPANISH PRISONER as the DVD is out of print. After watching House of Games, I'm hooked on Mamet
Old 08-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Or maybe THE SPANISH PRISONER as the DVD is out of print. After watching House of Games, I'm hooked on Mamet
Yeah, I considered that one as well, but for some reason, I just have a feeling its HOMICIDE, although I have nothing to support that. But yeah, SPANISH PRISONER would be just as awesome.

EDIT*....that wasn't a (not-so?) subtle hint that it is indeed Spanish Prisoner, was it?

Last edited by SamSanchez; 08-20-2007 at 08:21 PM..
Old 08-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Quote:
EDIT*....that wasn't a (not-so?) subtle hint that it is indeed Spanish Prisoner, was it?
*snorts and bolts up from a deep sleep*

What? Mamet? SPANISH PRISONER? New DVD?!

*runs through wall and leaves a Looney Tunes-style outline*
Old 08-21-2007, 09:16 AM
No subtle hint on The Spanish Prisoner. I was actually watching House of Games, and then thought about Mamet and wanted to watch The Spanish Prisoner as it's one of those films I've just never got around to watching. Then I realized, I don't own the DVD - checked various online retailers and saw it's out of print. So, MAYBE a future Criterion title

I'd welcome more Mamet - think he'd be an essential part of The Criterion Collection. House of Games kicked my ass. Mamet's new film, Redbelt, sounds interesting (with Tim Allen!??!?!?!). However, I'd welcome more Samuel Fuller film noir at the moment
Old 08-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Hopefully it's Oleanna, but I seriously doubt it is. My money is on The Spanish Prisoner.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:27 PM
GREAT NEWS....

Samuel Fuller's WHITE DOG confirmed in the Eclipse Newsletter for a CRITERION release (not Eclipse), with this quote:

Quote:
In 2008 Criterion will release a Samuel Fuller movie that was deemed too controversial to release by its studio—and that was allegedly based on the true story of a pet once owned by Breathless star Jean Seberg. Name the film and you’ll be entered in a drawing to receive a free Criterion DVD of your choice. Two runners-up will receive Criterion T-shirts.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Quote:
GREAT NEWS....

Samuel Fuller's WHITE DOG confirmed in the Eclipse Newsletter for a CRITERION release (not Eclipse), with this quote:
FUCKING AWESOME!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Quote:
GREAT NEWS....

, fucking awesome indeed. I've been hoping this would be getting a release since i managed to see it a couple of years ago, can't wait for this.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Excellent.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:15 AM
I think I'm gonna have to send Criterion a big ol' 'Thank You' card at the end of the year, since this year they've now put out/will be putting out 6 of the 2 dozen or so titles I suggested (or, more accurately, REQUESTED) for release last year: "Permanent Vacation," "Night on Earth," "Ivan's Childhood," "The Milky Way," "Mala Noche," and "Sawdust and Tinsel." (Also, "La Notte" allegedly currently in the works.)

Some of the others I suggested have since been put out by other companies. But I'd still really like to see them release Buńuel's "Tristana," Polanski's "Repulsion" (my most favorite film still not on DVD) and "Cul-de-Sac," and Rudolph's "Welcome to LA" and "Trouble in Mind."

P.S. The artwork for their original issue of "The Lady Vanishes" wasn't that much nicer.

Last edited by hoojib127; 08-30-2007 at 04:18 AM..
Old 09-01-2007, 11:11 PM
I've missed too much

More Mamet = excellent news, as is White Dog.

Plus, Vampyr has been on my "Must see" list for a while. Hope Criterion does get it.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:05 PM
welcome back dman
Old 09-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks MisterChristian. Overjoyed to be back in the company of smart people.

When are the December Criterions announced btw?
Hopefully not too long from now, I'm dying from anticipation.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Probably in about two weeks...

I am thinking Salo for Christmas lol.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:29 PM
2 weeks...yay.

"Pre-order Salo now to guarantee it a spot in your stocking this year!"
Old 09-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Thanks MisterChristian. Overjoyed to be back in the company of smart people.

When are the December Criterions announced btw?
Hopefully not too long from now, I'm dying from anticipation.
They are typically announced ON the 15th or on the Friday after the 15th. This month, I believe the 15th falls on a Saturday, so my guess is they might announced Friday the 14th.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Vampyr is great great. I'm no longer buying Criterions unless I've seen the movie and really really love it and I cannot wait to snag that one. Dreyer's one of the best and his "Day of Wrath" is one of the best movies of the first half of the twentieth century.

Aren't they supposed to release The Last Emperor in December?
Old 09-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tayzlor
Aren't they supposed to release The Last Emperor in December?
Yeah, I thought I read an article a few months ago detailing how Criterion and Image were going to do a handful of joint releases together (Criterion putting out the extras-laden special editions; Image putting out the bare-bones movie-only editions) and it said that "The Last Emperor" was one of these and that it, along with Nicolas Roeg's "Insignificance" and Stephen Frears' "The Hit," would be released before the year's end.

So hopefully they'll be in line for December releases (I intend to get all 3 of them).
Old 09-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Quote:
I'm no longer buying Criterions unless I've seen the movie and really really love it and I cannot wait to snag that one.
Really? Is it the apocalypse already?

And thanks Sam. Can't wait for the 14th then (or 15th; whichever it is).
Old 09-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Really? Is it the apocalypse already?
Netflix is quickly becoming a good friend of mine.

"The Last Emperor" has to come out in December if they wanna coincide with the 20th anniversary.

And really, earlier this year, I though a remastered "Seventh Seal" was a no brainer for the holiday season given its' shit initial incarnation, its' high status amongst cinephiles and even the public, and its' 50th anniversary. I'm not saying it's going to be released in December, as I've heard nothing hinting that it might, I'm just surprised they didn't release it this year.

I just wish I could escape from time for the moment, all daily duties, and sit down and watch all these titles they're releasing.

Last edited by Tayzlor; 09-02-2007 at 11:53 PM..
Old 09-03-2007, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by hoojib127
Yeah, I thought I read an article a few months ago detailing how Criterion and Image were going to do a handful of joint releases together (Criterion putting out the extras-laden special editions; Image putting out the bare-bones movie-only editions) and it said that "The Last Emperor" was one of these and that it, along with Nicolas Roeg's "Insignificance" and Stephen Frears' "The Hit," would be released before the year's end.

So hopefully they'll be in line for December releases (I intend to get all 3 of them).
word has it they've all been pushed back slightly. Most likely around Feb 08.

My guess is December will contain a couple of these titles:
Salo (Re-Release)
Two-Lane Blacktop
Jour se leve
Pierrot le fou

And maybe one or two less speculated titles out of left field, perhaps:
Max Ophuls Box Set (most likely early 08)
Short Films of Martin Scorsese
Missing (although I believe it was to be an 08 release as well)

or maybe some surprise ones would be nice.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:02 AM
Isn't December generally a skimpy month? Like one or two titles.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Yes indeed
Old 09-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Its usually about two new titles, which doesn't rule out the Salo-rerelease in addition to those two new titles.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Finally watched Ace in the Hole last week... WOW! The ending was just fantastic