Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2007, 06:54 PM
specs for each (in order by picture):

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by cinematographer Raoul Coutard
- New video interview with actor Anna Karina
- A "Pierrot" Primer, a new video program with audio commentary by filmmaker Jean-Pierre Gorin
- Godard, l'amour, la poésie, a fifty-minute French documentary about Godard and his collaborative life and films with Anna Karina
- Archival interview excerpts with director Jean-Luc Godard, actors Jean-Paul Belmondo, and Anna Karina
- Theatrical trailer
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Richard Brody, an review by Andrew Sarris, and an interview with Godard

- DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FOUR-DISC SET FEATURES:
- All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by cinematographer Vittorio Storaro
- All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer of the extended television version
- Audio commentary by director Bernardo Bertolucci, producer Jeremy Thomas, composer Ryuichi Sakamoto, and screenwriter Mark Peploe
- The Italian Traveler, a documentary by Fernand Mozskowicz, exploring Bertolucci's journey from Parma to China
- The Making of "The Last Emperor," a new documentary featuring Storaro, editor Gabriella Cristiana, costume designer James Acheson, and art director Gianni Silvestre
- Postcards from China, video images taken by Bertolucci while on preproduction
- The Late Show: Face to Face, a 30-minute BBC interview with Bertolucci from 1989
- New video interviews with composers David Byrne and Sakamoto
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by David Thomson and excerpts from script supervisor Fabien Gerard’s journals from the production
- More!

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Alex Cox
- Audio commentary by Cox and screenwriter Rudy Wurlitzer
- Dispatches from Nicaragua, an original documentary about the filming of Walker
- On Moviemaking and the Revolution, an audio reminiscence from actor and writer Linda Sandoval about the shoot
- Rare behind-the-scenes photos
- PLUS: A booklet featuring writings by film critic Graham Fuller, Wurlitzer, and Linda Sandoval

pleeeaaase someone confirm the new hint is thief of baghdad...
Old 11-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Pierrot le fou and The Last Emperor are definite purchases. Walker, however, at least looks interesting, but haven't heard great things about it.

Last edited by SamSanchez; 11-15-2007 at 07:57 PM..
Old 11-15-2007, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post

Definantly buying Pierrot Le fou and The Last Emperor. Will probably pick up Walker as well. I'm not a huge Alex Cox fan, but Sid and Nancy is one of my favorites.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:41 PM
In like Flynt for the first two definitely.

This and Intrada's "Alien" in one day? Nice!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Definitely getting The Last emperor
Old 11-16-2007, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hominid View Post
Definitely getting The Last emperor
I suppose the film is going to be split over 2 of those 4 discs (especially seeing as how they're going to have audio commentaries). I still prefer watching a movie all in one sitting - regardless of length - without having to get up halfway through and switch tapes/discs....oh, well.

Last edited by hoojib127; 11-16-2007 at 05:42 AM..
Old 12-14-2007, 07:55 PM
March releases have been announced:

plus the Eclipse:

I don't know, but I love the cover to The Ice Storm.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Hmmm...nothing that appealing to me on slate for March (I already own the Fox version of "The Ice Storm" but don't plan to upgrade). Can't win 'em all, I guess.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
Hmmm...nothing that appealing to me on slate for March (I already own the Fox version of "The Ice Storm" but don't plan to upgrade). Can't win 'em all, I guess.
I agree actually. Although, I've never seen The Ice Storm and do look forward to actually purchasing it, and I'm also a fan Teshigahara, so I'm interested in Antonio Gaudi...as them being the core of the month does account for a fairly slow month. Then again, maybe 2007 just spoiled us.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:05 AM
Awesome covers, and I'm interested in checking out The Ice Storm. I also want to check out some Teshigahara, but I'll probably start with the stuff that was in that box set.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:33 PM
I think that's great stuff.

I love Gaudi's architecture, so I plant to get that film, The Ice Storm, and maybe the William Klein collection because I love satire.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman476 View Post
I think that's great stuff.

I love Gaudi's architecture, so I plant to get that film, The Ice Storm, and maybe the William Klein collection because I love satire.

Yeah, I think out of all those, I think the William Klein collection is probably what I'm most hyped about.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:14 AM
I will get the ice storm.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:22 AM
already own the ice storm but will for sure upgrade it to the criterion version.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Forgot to post this the other day, but Anthony Mann's The Furies is hinted as coming by this wacky picture from the newsletter:

Also...the Top 10 Criterions in this month's newsletter is by Diablo Cody (Juno's screenwriter) which I guess further proves that just because you provide a Top 10 does not necessarily mean you are going to have something released by Criterion in the future as Juno sure won't be coming to Criterion.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Why won't Juno be coming to Criterion?
Old 12-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Why won't Juno be coming to Criterion?

Because its a newer film (non Wes Anderson) that is fairly successful and highly critically acclaimed, and I'd assume Fox (I think its Fox) would feel they could make more money releasing it themselves.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:29 PM

Eclipse 10:

Last edited by Powerslave; 01-16-2008 at 04:40 PM..
Old 01-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Looks as though April will be an even more 'blah' month than March. : /
Old 01-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Yeah...this month is definitely underwhelming, although Silent Ozu is very nice, and Blast of Silence intrigues me a lot. But none are titles I've been longing greatly for.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Blast of Silence sounds pretty cool, and I might eventually check out Silent Ozu at some point, but none of these make me jump for joy.

And I don't know what the hell that means.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Wow...that actually has me pretty stumped. So clues are BBQ, possibly a road film, and a deformed pear?
Old 01-16-2008, 06:50 PM
'I Was Born, But..." is a fantastic Ozu flick
Old 01-16-2008, 07:50 PM
That IS a tough clue.

Blast of Silence is something I might blind-buy, sounds very cool.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Quote:
That IS a tough clue.

Blast of Silence is something I might blind-buy, sounds very cool.

So, apparently, word is the clue is most likely referring to Jacques Tati's Traffic (see HERE). I guess the car has a built-in BBQ in it. So, that might be the most likely candidate, or at least the one that makes the most sense so far.

If that's the case....I enjoy the rest of Tati's Criterion released films, so I'll be looking forward to this one.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:25 AM
I like what I've seen by Tati, so that's welcome news.
Though in all honesty I'd prefer an SE of M. Hulot's Holiday.

Still, thanks.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:08 PM
So apparently those titles aren't all that's coming for April. I found this information at a Criterion forum, but its not up on the official website yet. DVDAF.com also has them for an April release date for Criterion. But here it goes:

Quote:
Criterion press release for April contains these additional 3 titles, all $14.95:

THE RED BALLOON
Newly restored and available for the first time on DVD, Albert Lamorisse’s exquisite The Red Balloon remains one of the most beloved children’s films of all time. In this deceptively simple, nearly wordless tale, a young boy discovers a stray balloon, which seems to have a mind of its own, on the streets of Paris. The two become inseparable, yet the world’s harsh realities finally interfere. With its glorious palette and allegorical purity, the Academy Award–winning The Red Balloon has enchanted movie lovers, young and old, for generations.

Title: The Red Balloon
CAT: CC1746D
UPC: 7-15515-02882-0
ISBN: 978-1-60465-030-3
SRP: $14.95
Prebook: 3/25/08
Street date: 4/29/08

WHITE MANE
In the south of France, in a near-desert region called La Camargue, lives White Mane, a magnificent stallion and the leader of a herd of wild horses too proud to let themselves be broken in by humans. Only Folco, a young fisherman, manages to tame him. A strong friendship grows between the boy and the horse, as the two go looking for the freedom that the world of men won’t allow them. Long unavailable in the U.S., this extraordinarily shot wonder from Albert Lamorisse, the director of The Red Balloon, is a work of technical sophistication and immense natural beauty.

Title: White Mane
CAT: CC1747D
UPC: 7-15515-02892-9
ISBN: 978-1-60465-031-0

PADDLE TO THE SEA
Based on Holling C. Holling’s beloved Caldecott-awarded children’s book, William Mason’s stunning film follows the adventures of a tiny, wood-carved canoe as it forges its own path from Lake Superior through the Great Lakes and down to the Atlantic Ocean. Buoyed by beautiful photography and a sense of true wonder about the sun, Earth, and water, the Academy Award–nominated Paddle to the Sea is an unforgettable tribute to the forces of the natural world, as well as a thrilling journey across the waves and rapids of North America.

Title: Paddle to the Sea
CAT: CC1748D
UPC: 7-15515-02902-5
ISBN: 978-1-60465-032-7

So not sure how the spine #s would correspond to each, but they are priced $14.95, so that would mean they would sell for about $9.71 on DVD Planet.com each, so that's pretty reasonable.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Hmm, interesting. I remember watching the Red Balloon in French class, good stuff, might be cool to check it out again. I've heard of the White Mane, never seen it though. Not familiar with Paddle to the Sea, sounds pretty cool though.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:41 PM
The Red Balloon is definitely something I'm interested in seeing. 15 bucks though? That's interesting. Why isn't that an Eclipse release?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Quote:
The Red Balloon is definitely something I'm interested in seeing. 15 bucks though? That's interesting. Why isn't that an Eclipse release?
It would definitely make more sense as an Eclipse release. But the $15 again is the MSRP, so the sale would be about $10, so coupled with hopefully some special features to go with it (since it IS Criterion, and not Eclipse) I'd say its at least reasonable.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:11 PM
I meant $15 as WOW. Really cheap for a Criterion, not unreasonable actually.
I don't see why it couldn't at the very least grab $30 MSRP without features.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Quote:
I meant $15 as WOW. Really cheap for a Criterion, not unreasonable actually.
I don't see why it couldn't at the very least grab $30 MSRP without features.

Ah, mistook what you meant. Reason is though they are short films no more than 45 minutes long, so that accounts for the cheap price. They could have packaged them altogether in a 39.99 MSRP release, but I guess this way will do
Old 01-20-2008, 01:28 AM
Question: does anyone know if Criterion has any plans to release Last Year at Marienbad?
Old 02-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
Question: does anyone know if Criterion has any plans to release Last Year at Marienbad?
We should see it in the fall since Rialto has already started screenings of it.

Figured I should bump this thread as May releases should be revealed pretty soon.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:46 PM
May 2008

I'm excited about the Thief of Baghdad, more than the other two.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I saw this a little while ago, I'm most excited about The Fire Within, but also very excited about The Thief of Bagdad. Not bad I guess, but 2008 hasn't had an amazing month yet like 2007 had nearly every single month.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Quote:
I suppose the film is going to be split over 2 of those 4 discs (especially seeing as how they're going to have audio commentaries). I still prefer watching a movie all in one sitting - regardless of length - without having to get up halfway through and switch tapes/discs....oh, well.
You'd rather have it be a worse transfer and on one disc than giving it the proper restoration a movie like this deserves? The breaks in these movies are often at a point where a slight pause would be welcome.

Obviously, if Criterion would step up to Blu-Ray we could eliminate these problems in most cases. We'll have to wait and see on that.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Criterion should release more spanish films. I like the one I have.

Also I really like their new 2-disc packaging, the cardboard boxes. Much more than the big-ass black 2-disc cases. They should re-release some titles for Blu-Ray using those. How about, hmmmm... I dunno. One of the good ones.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Yeah...I really like their DigiPak cases. They should use those more often though, as now on some of the two disc releases like Pierrot le fou and plenty others, they use a standard case with the figure 8 2-disc holder.

As far as Spanish films, I definitely wouldn't mind some more. If they can some how dig up and acquire the rights to El Verdugo [dir. Luis Garcia Berlanga; 1963] that would make the entire year a success in my book.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Actually I bought it the other day and the first disc is the theatrical cut while the second disc is the television version...which is longer by a long shot. Maybe they kept the commercials...

Also, anyone know why Criterion didn't get the rights to The Darjeeling Limited?