Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2008, 04:21 PM
So some GREAT news here. Rumored to be confirmed (oxymoron?) over at the Criterion Forums, as that Wim Wenders' PARIS, TEXAS and also WINGS OF DESIRE are to be forthcoming to Criterion, most likely next year I'd assume. This is amazing news
Old 07-12-2008, 04:29 PM
I also read this over at .org. Very exciting!

Also, not criterion, but I'll assume that if your interested in thier releases you'll like to know That Second Sight have announced the UK DVD release of La Ronde and Caught as part of their The Max Ophuls Collection series on 8th September 2008. Priced at £19.99 each.

Since Criterion is releasing La Round in sept. as well I'll be getting Caught.

Last edited by scamp2005; 07-12-2008 at 04:34 PM..
Old 07-15-2008, 05:21 PM
I wanted to let the Schmoes know about a sale on Criterions over at Deep Discount DVD. Buy 1, Get 1 Free on selected Criterions!

I quote:

Buy 1 movie from the select list of titles below and receive 1 of equal or lesser value free. When purchasing multiple movies you will be charged for the higher priced items and those of equal or lesser value will be at no charge. Cannot be combined with any other offers. Prices are subject to change. Offer Ends 7/29/08 at 11:59pm CST Donít see your discount? Type in promotion code : B1G1CRITE0807 at checkout

http://www.deepdiscount.com/DVD---HB...5VVviewcat.htm
Old 07-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Nice....maybe a good time to finally complete my collection.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyatog View Post
I wanted to let the Schmoes know about a sale on Criterions over at Deep Discount DVD. Buy 1, Get 1 Free on selected Criterions!

I quote:

Buy 1 movie from the select list of titles below and receive 1 of equal or lesser value free. When purchasing multiple movies you will be charged for the higher priced items and those of equal or lesser value will be at no charge. Cannot be combined with any other offers. Prices are subject to change. Offer Ends 7/29/08 at 11:59pm CST Donít see your discount? Type in promotion code : B1G1CRITE0807 at checkout

http://www.deepdiscount.com/DVD---HB...5VVviewcat.htm
Thanks!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSanchez View Post
So some GREAT news here. Rumored to be confirmed (oxymoron?) over at the Criterion Forums, as that Wim Wenders' PARIS, TEXAS and also WINGS OF DESIRE are to be forthcoming to Criterion, most likely next year I'd assume. This is amazing news
That's the best news I've heard in a while. Too bad we have to wait until next year. But still, two absolute masterpieces more than worthy of Criterion treatment.
--------------------
October releases:

"NOW AVAILABLE FOR ONLY $29.95!"

Love the Melville. Love that they're releasing the Cassavetes outside of that gargantuan boxset, really want to see those. Confused about Short Cuts. Apathetic about the last one.

Lame artwork on Le Doulos, though.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:05 PM
AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

Holy shit!!! Officially the best news of all time!

I CANNOT wait to get my hands on this. I've been wanting to see these movies forever. Finally, more R1 Mizoguchi.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm a big Melville fan so I think this month is the best CC release month so far this year.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Those are some good releases. I'll be checking out Le Doulos and Missing for certain.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Melville is my favorite director, so Im hyped
Old 07-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Wonder when those Blu-ray Criterion announcements are coming?

They did say October...
Old 07-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Why not all 5 of the Cassavetes films? Of course, I already have the box set anyway, so big deal. I already have Universal's bare-bones release of "Missing," so I think I'll skip that one. A rather pointless reissue of "Short Cuts," I'd say.

Yeah, I thought they were releasing "El Norte" in October, both on standard DVD and Blu-Ray, as part of that first BR wave.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:24 PM
I think all they said was that Blu-Ray will kick off in October, not necessarily ALL of them coming out in October. So I'm sure they'll announced them later, but they still need to have El Norte, Bottle Rocket and Chungking Express, so I'm guessing by the end of the year, we'll see them
Old 07-16-2008, 06:59 AM
I've got the Bfi "Le Doulos", its good but certainly not my favorite Melville. Very excited to finally see Le deuxieme souffle.

Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women is, of course, a must have!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm a huge fan of Melville, i'm exited for those releases, i havent seen them. I'm confused about Short Cuts too, i already own the previous version, plus the Cassavetes boxset so i guess it doesn't matter.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Short Cuts won't be the first time Criterion does a re-release. The current version is quite expensive so this is good news for those of us who haven't picked it up yet.

I am eagerly awaiting those Criterion Blu-Rays as well. I can't wait to see The Third Man in high-def!
Old 07-16-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm guessing the Short Cuts re-release just eliminates the book.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:14 PM
I picked up DEATH OF A CYCLIST and CLASSES TOUS RISQUES and the total came to $24.25. $12 isn't bad for a Criterion but I noticed already a lot of movies I added to my cart are already out of stock after only being on sale for a day.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Not only is $12 not bad, its GREAT. DeepDiscount usually restocks rather quickly, just now you'll get like a package every other day (depending on how much you order) rather than one large one.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Not only is $12 not bad, its GREAT.
ditto.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Deep Discount will also let you buy stuff that is out-of-stock and use the coupon. It will just ship as soon as it comes back. This deal is really awesome. $12 and $16 Criterions! I'm going to try and not spend a ton of dough but it'll be hard!
Old 07-16-2008, 07:34 PM
I think I'm going to go ahead and buy The Rules of the Game and Playtime with this deal. Thanks for posting!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:58 PM
My source tells me those BR Criterions have been bumped. Possibly November or December now...

Christmas present??
Old 07-17-2008, 12:32 PM
ARRGH!! Really? That kinda sucks...but I guess I don't mind cuz Criterion does their shit right. I certainly will wait for their Blu-Ray goodness!
Old 07-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChristian View Post
My source tells me those BR Criterions have been bumped. Possibly November or December now...

Christmas present??
That doesn't surprise me. When the October releases were already showing on the coming soon page, i knew there had to have been a reason for no boxart for the blu-rays.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:22 PM
So Criterion Newsletter is out, and this is the wacky cartoon clue:

A member at the Criterion Forums says its Fanfan la Tulipe (Christian-Jaque; 1952). I'm not very familiar with that film at all really, just reporting the news.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:59 PM
I bit the bullet on that Deep Discount promotion...here's what I ordered, and the six of them came to just over $100.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
October releases:

I've no clue what those are, but based on cover art alone, I want them. Bad.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:14 PM
More Melville on Criterion is welcome Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 07-27-2008, 05:28 PM
I already picked up DEATH OF A CYCLIST and CLASSE TOUS RISQUES and I couldn't resist so I also picked up IVAN'S CHILDHOOD and Malle's THE FIRE WITHIN while the sale was still in effect.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Me and a buddy teamed up and snagged a few Criterions during this DDD sale. Last day to get in on it!

Here's what we snagged:

Rules of the Game
The Furies
Children of Paradise
Breathless
Stranger Than Paradise
Nights of Cabiria

Onibaba
Classe Tous Risques
Band of Outsiders
and one more I can't remember because my friend placed the order! =)
Old 07-29-2008, 08:42 PM
I bought 4 from the deep discount sale also...wish i had the money to buy 10 more:

House of Games
Videodrome
Under the Volcano
Ace in the Hole (which I have already watched and thought it was amazing)
Old 08-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSanchez View Post
Not only is $12 not bad, its GREAT. DeepDiscount usually restocks rather quickly, just now you'll get like a package every other day (depending on how much you order) rather than one large one.
I've been waiting over a week now and apparently they haven't restocked Playtime or The Rules of the Game yet.

Has anyone received their DDD orders yet?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:04 PM
I ordered 10 Criterions, NONE of which they had in stock at the time I ordered them. None have arrived yet at my house, but they have ALL already been shipped. They should be here in the next couple days according to their estimated arrival date.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:53 PM
When I ordered 4 criterions, i think one of them was in stock (I ordered them 2 at a time so that I could get the best deal with the BOGO). The first two shipped within a day or two, the other 2 took a week tops.

Totally worth the small wait for the prices. Can't wait for the next BOGO.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:33 AM
I wish I would have known that the DVD Planet close to my house had the same BOGO deal but with DVDPlanet.com prices which made it even better than the DeepDiscount prices, before I made my order on DeepDiscount. I still managed to pick up several titles at DVD Planet though.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:31 PM
I picked up La Haine and Band of Outsiders from the Deep Discount BOGO. I would have been less conservative and gotten a few more if my tax refund came before the sale ended. Damn.

In terms of shipping, both DVDs started off as back-orders, but it only took La Haine a day maybe to ship and I got it last week. Band of Outsiders didn't ship until sometime last week and it hasn't arrived just yet.

I was completely blown away by La Haine when I first saw it in college for my French Cinema class, so I jumped on the opportunity to grab it. I haven't seen Band of Outsiders yet, but I knew I wanted to grab a Godard flick. Having seen Pierrot Le Fou and Alphaville within the past month, I wanted to go for something that wasn't so recently in my mind. Alphaville kind of underwhelmed me in terms of its packaging, to the point of believing it is due to be repackaged by Criterion. And although I like a lot of Godard's work, I was completely underwhelmed by Breathless the two times I've seen it.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:03 PM
This sale probably wiped DDD out completely! I would expect a longer than average wait for all these ordered to be shipped. Probably 2 weeks or so if I had to guess.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:06 PM
I think you are in in for a treat with Band of Outsiders PSUDelVec, it's great. I have been wanting to check out La Haine for a while now. Glad to hear you liked it.

I ordered Ace in the Hole and Days of Heaven with the DDD sale around the 22nd or 23rd. Both were back ordered but i still havent heard anything since, so i guess they havent even shipped them yet. I just hope they both come in before i head back to college on the 15th.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post
I think you are in in for a treat with Band of Outsiders PSUDelVec, it's great. I have been wanting to check out La Haine for a while now. Glad to hear you liked it.

AP,

You were right on the money. Band of Outsiders was great. Probably ranks #2 in terms of my favorite Godard films.

As for La Haine, I would check it out for Vincent Cassel's performance alone, but all three leads put in great performances.