Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2009, 01:30 AM
Here's the covers for Wings of Desire and Z since they haven't been posted yet:

Monson Wedding still doesn't have a cover, and Howard's End the cover is up but its the Merchant Ivory Collection cover, which I'd imagine they would at least stick the Wacky C in the corner or something, or make a new cover altogether, although it does have a different cover for the Blu-Ray:

Just seems a little confusing how they'll handle that release on to the Criterion mainline as far as the DVD release goes.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:36 AM

Last edited by bankholdup; 04-09-2015 at 01:18 PM..
Old 07-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Finally Z is getting the Criterion treatment!
Old 07-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankholdup View Post
Actually, Howard's End is ONLY getting a Blu-ray release, as it placed first in their reader poll on which previously-released title should get the BD treatment.
Yeah...I was aware of the poll, but I could have sworn Criterion also originally stated in their mission statement when they announced the blu-ray line that there would not be any exclusive BD releases. Seeing as Howard's End is an HVE release, I don't think it would be too farfetched for them to just slap a Wacky C and Spine Number on the side of it, at least for continuity's sake for the DVD completists. Who knows, I could be wrong, but I just wouldn't see Criterion messing with the spine number continuity now nearly 500 titles in.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:37 PM
New Wacky Cartoon up:

From Criterion board, speculating its possibly hinting at Guy Maddin's My Winnipeg (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1093842/), possibly packed along with My Dad Is 100 Years Old (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477785/) which is Guy Maddin's documentary with Isabella Rossellini.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:20 PM
More speculation from the Criterion boards, but apparently, this is hinting at an Early Kurosawa Eclipse Set, that would contain his early silent film HORSE. And seeing as March 2010 would mark his wouldbe 100th birthday, I'd imagine that's when the set would be due.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:10 PM
DVD:

The Golden Age of Television (teleplays of Marty, Patterns, No Time For Sergeants, A Wind From The South, Requiem For A Heavyweight, Bang The Drum Slowly, The Comedian, Days Of Wine And Roses)

Downhill Racer

A Christmas Tale (No cover art yet)

DVD & Blu-Ray:

Gomorrah
Old 08-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Was just about to post those as well. Not a bad month, though, sucks that I just both Gomorrah and A Christmas Tale about a month ago from Amazon UK. As pretty much a Criterion completist, I may have to double dip on those.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm really not liking the cover for Gomorrah.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:24 PM
That's what I'm hearing too. For some reason, my computers at work block images from Criterion.com, so can't see any of the covers yet
Old 08-25-2009, 03:28 PM
A large number of Criterion titles apparently "confirmed" for 2010 here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../dvdaficionado

To sum, these are the listed ones in the article, though some of been previously confirmed:

The French Lieutenant's Woman [Karel Reisz; 1981]
Charlie Chaplin Films (a nice bunch of them)
Stagecoach [John Ford; 1932]
Akira Kurosawa Set (A 25 FILM(!!) Box set)
Revanche [Götz Spielmann; 2008]
Underworld [Josef von Sternberg; 1927]
Docks of New York [Josef von Sternberg; 1928]
Martin Scorsese Short Films
Ride with the Devil [Ang Lee]

Also hints at Steve McQueen's (not THAT Steve McQueen) recent film Hunger.

Also, says that Lars von Trier's Antichrist is likely not to be included in the IFC deal, which is a bit disappointing.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:14 AM
That list sounds very plausible, as Revanche was confirmed.

I'm exited as hell about a possible 25 film Kurosawa box set... but Jesus.. must cost 1,000 dollars.

the rest of the list is excellent and surprising.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:34 AM
Oh man I'd love to see the directors cut of ride with the devil
Old 08-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Shit, wrong thread...

Last edited by A.J. Hakari; 09-05-2009 at 11:09 AM..
Old 09-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSanchez View Post
A large number of Criterion titles apparently "confirmed" for 2010 here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../dvdaficionado

Also hints at Steve McQueen's (not THAT Steve McQueen) recent film Hunger.

Also, says that Lars von Trier's Antichrist is likely not to be included in the IFC deal, which is a bit disappointing.
I was just talking with my roommates the other day about the lack of a DVD/blu-ray release for HUNGER - now this just makes it all worth it. Definitely picking up the blu-ray the first day it comes out.

Didn't see the rest of these titles posted but from DarkHorizons regarding the IFC deal:

IFC Films has struck an agreement with the Criterion Collection for the release of select titles from IFC's library through the prestige DVD & Blu-ray label.

The distributor, who have had an impressive track record of great films this year including "In the Loop" (my top film of the year thus far), confirmed in a press release on Tuesday that the partnership will for now encompass at least twelve titles on Blu-ray and/or DVD.

First up will be Matteo Garrone's acclaimed Napoli gangster feature "Gomorrah" which will hit stores on November 24th in both formats, and Arnaud Desplechin's French ensemble "A Christmas Tale" in DVD format only on November 10th.

They will be followed by Steven Soderbergh's two-part biopic "Che" on DVD & Blu-ray in December. Other IFC titles already earmarked for the Criterion treatment in 2010 include Swedish film "Everlasting Moments," French features "Summer Hours" and "The Secret of the Grain", Steve McQueen's IRA prison drama "Hunger", and Japanese feature "Still Walking".

Before now IFC released films both in limited theatrical and via on-demand on the same day before releasing the titles on DVD exclusively through Blockbuster.

The new deal not only improves their home video range but gives the company an extra edge in acquisitions if filmmakers see a potential Criterion release of their film happening down the line.

IFC also recently signed a deal with MPI Media Group which will handle bare bones DVD releases of IFC's less high brow and more genre fare like "Dead Snow," "I Sell the Dead" and "Pontypool". With both in place, the company can now cherry pick which titles get the full Criterion special edition treatment.

Catalogue titles such as Alfonso Cuarón's "Y tu mamá también" and Christopher Nolan's debut feature film "Following" are also set for the Criterion treatment next year.

My roommates were pretty shocked by the Che announcement. They paid $80 for the two-night screenings last year at TIFF and absolutely despised the movie as a whole (they were okay with the first part but absolutely hated the second part). I gotta admit, I'm still curious to see it heh. And it's more than made up for in any case by Y Tu Mama/Following/Hunger for me.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm really exited about this deal, i know i remember hearing a criterion rep in an interview state that they didn't purposefully stear clear from recently released features, it was just difficult for them to get licesning for the good ones. With the exception of Summer Hours and A Christmas Tale (both overrated), these are excellent films.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Wow, I'm definitely gonna get Y Tu Mama Tambien if that ends up being released! It's one of my favourite films, and easily Alfonso Cuaron's best after Children of Men - they share many stylistic similarities. I really hope they'll be releasing the unrated director's cut and not the trimmed R-rated version which is the only one available on Region 1 DVD right now if I'm not mistaken... if so, then I will be most pleased indeed!
Old 09-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Even more important, Criterion has confirmed the releases of Bunuel's "Tristana" and Skolimowski's "Deep End" for next year as well.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
Christopher Nolan's debut feature film "Following" are also set for the Criterion treatment next year.[/i]
hmmm.... I wonder if they will include anything new on the special features for this DVD. A look back interview with Nolan on the film would be cool. Also maybe even some short films from his earlier days other than doodlebug. Wishful thinking.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:03 AM
A look back interview with Nolan on the film would be cool. Also maybe even some short films from his earlier days other than doodlebug.

-------------
DvdSetCollection
Old 09-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
Catalogue titles such as Christopher Nolan's debut feature film "Following" are also set for the Criterion treatment next year.[/i]
This news makes me very happy. Following is a great little gem of a debut from Nolan. I actually have it on DVD already, but I certainly won't mind double-dipping for a Criterion version, especially if it has some killer special features. I'm looking forward to this one.

Strider
Old 09-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Only you can convince Criterion to release Rivette.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:44 PM
I hope Criterion comes to some deal with WB concerning Ken Russell's The Devils. Fully uncut...

I'd love to see that.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post
I hope Criterion comes to some deal with WB concerning Ken Russell's The Devils. Fully uncut...
If only, it's annoying they're just sitting on it. Been hoping for a DVD release since I saw it.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 PM
I have question for the Criterion fans here...What are the cheapest places to go to for Criterion DVDs? I have a few I've been wanting to grab but they're a bit pricey at times.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 PM
81/2 Blu
Old 10-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc5145 View Post
I have question for the Criterion fans here...What are the cheapest places to go to for Criterion DVDs? I have a few I've been wanting to grab but they're a bit pricey at times.
I usually just ordered directly from their site. They offer free shipping for orders over $50 I think... DeepDiscount.com occasionally has really good deals so it's worth it just to check once in a while.

Anyway, why hasn't Criterion updated their upcoming releases in a couple months???? I need more announcements!
Old 10-14-2009, 01:52 AM
It sucks, but I'm pretty sure they are just skipping December releases. So really, its only been September in which they didn't announce any releases. I think they should be doing by the end of this week to announce the January releases.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:45 PM
They didn't skip December releases, but they're giving us VERY little new material: "Gimme Shelter" on Blu-ray, the Kurosawa 25-film box set, and they moved the release date of "A Christmas Tale" to December as well. All in all, pretty half-assed, even for December, a usually lean month for Criterion releases, anyway.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Announcements for January are up:

Quote:
* High-definition digital transfers of Che: Part One and Che: Part Two, supervised and approved by director Steven Soderbergh, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
* Audio commentaries on both films, featuring Jon Lee Anderson, author of Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life
* Making “Che,” a new documentary about the film’s production, featuring interviews with Soderbergh, producer Laura Bickford, actor-producer Benicio del Toro, and writers Peter Buchman and Ben van der Veen
* New interviews with Cuban historians as well as participants in the 1958 Cuban Revolution and Che’s 1967 Bolivian campaign
* Deleted scenes
* Theatrical trailers
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Amy Taubin
* More!

Quote:

SPECIAL EDITION THREE-DISC SET:

* New, restored high-definition digital transfers
* Video introductions by Roberto Rossellini to all three films, from 1963
* New video interviews with Rossellini scholar Adriano Aprà, Rossellini’s friend and confessor Father Virgilio Fantuzzi, and filmmakers Paolo and Vittorio Taviani
* Audio commentary on Rome Open City by film scholar Peter Bondanella
* Once Upon a Time . . . “Rome Open City,” a 2006 documentary on the making of this historic film, featuring rare archival material and footage of Anna Magnani, Federico Fellini, Ingrid Bergman, and many others
* Rossellini and the City, a new documentary on Rossellini’s use of the urban landscape in these films, by film scholar Mark Shiel
* Excerpts from rarely seen videotaped discussions Rossellini had with faculty and students at Rice University in 1970 about his craft
* Into the Future, a new visual essay about the War Trilogy by film scholar Tag Gallagher
* Roberto Rossellini, a 2001 documentary by Carlo Lizzani, assistant director on Germany Year Zero, tracing Rossellini’s career through archival footage and interviews with family members and collaborators, with tributes by filmmakers François Truffaut and Martin Scorsese
* Letters from the Front: Carlo Lizzani on “Germany Year Zero,” a 1987 podium discussion with Lizzani
* Italian credits and prologue for Germany Year Zero
* New illustrated essay by film scholar Thomas Meder on Rossellini’s relationship with his mistress Roswitha Schmidt
* New and improved English subtitle translations
* PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by director Irene Bignardi and film scholars Colin McCabe, James Quandt, and Jonathan Rosenbaum

Quote:
* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Wim Wenders, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
* Audio commentary featuring Wenders
* Interview with Wenders by German journalist Roger Willemsen
* Excerpts from the 1990 film Motion and Emotion: The Road to “Paris, Texas,” featuring interviews with Wenders, actors Harry Dean Stanton, Hanns Zischler, Dennis Hopper, and Peter Falk, composer Ry Cooder, cinematographer Robby Müller, novelist Patricia Highsmith, and filmmaker Samuel Fuller
* New interviews with filmmakers Allison Anders and Claire Denis
* Cinéma cinémas: “Wim Wenders Hollywood April ’84,” with Wenders and Cooder working on the score
* Deleted scenes and Super 8 home movies
* Gallery of Wenders’s location-scouting photos, from his book Written in the West
* Behind-the-scenes photos by Robin Holland
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Nick Roddick and interviews with Stanton, writer Sam Shepard, and actors Nastassja Kinski and Dean Stockwell

And finally

Quote:

* High-definition digital transfer of restored film elements (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on Blu-ray edition)
* Introduction by filmmaker Terry Gilliam
* Audio commentary featuring film critic and Fellini friend Gideon Bachmann and NYU film professor Antonio Monda
* High-definition digital transfer of a new restoration of Fellini: A Director’s Notebook, a 52-minute film by Federico Fellini
* The Last Sequence, a new 52-minute documentary on Fellini’s lost alternate ending for 8 1/2 (available on Blu-ray edition)
* Nino Rota: Between Cinema and Concert, a compelling 48-minute documentary about Fellini’s longtime composer
* Interviews with actress Sandra Milo, director Lina Wertmüller, and cinematographer Vittorio Storaro
* Rare photographs from Bachmann’s collection
* Gallery of behind-the-scenes and production photos
* U.S. theatrical trailer
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring writings by Fellini and essays by critics Tullio Kezich and Alexander Sesonske
Old 10-15-2009, 07:09 PM
No idea what that War Trilogy is about - but I'm very interested!

Yay, I can finally finish Che (only seen Part 1)!

Paris, Texas any good? (I still have the Fox DVD - never watched as the DVD went OOP, so I kept it sealed)
Old 10-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChristian View Post
Paris, Texas any good? (I still have the Fox DVD - never watched as the DVD went OOP, so I kept it sealed)
It's amazing. Essential viewing. I can't wait to pick it up.

I might get 8 1/2 too, I've been meaning to buy it for a long time now.

As much as I loved Che, I don't know when I'd ever watch it again.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Now that my friends is a pretty damn good month.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChristian View Post
No idea what that War Trilogy is about - but I'm very interested!
They're a trilogy in the loosest sense, but great. Germany Year Zero is one of the, if not the, best films to come out of the neo-realist style. They do have a tendency to be depressing though. Essential nevertheless. As for Paris, Texas; it is hit or miss with people, but definitely worth a shot. Has maybe the best monologue, two of them, ever.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
I usually just ordered directly from their site. They offer free shipping for orders over $50 I think... DeepDiscount.com occasionally has really good deals so it's worth it just to check once in a while.

Anyway, why hasn't Criterion updated their upcoming releases in a couple months???? I need more announcements!
Thanks dude. I just bought In The Mood For Love for a lady friend of mine from buy.com and plan to grab Brazil for myself soon.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Should mention it looks like The Third Man has gone OOP so you should get going while the going's good all five of you who don't own it yet.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:02 PM
WOW?!?
Old 11-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Starting today, Barnes & Noble is running a 50% Criterion Sale! This includes box sets and Blu-Rays! This sale runs in-store and online: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/holida...linkid=1503673

This deal is even better if you have a BN Membership. You will get your normal extra 10% off. Also, there is a $5 off $20 coupon (in-store only) floating around the internet if you are a member as well!

I picked up Repulsion on Blu-Ray today for $14.20 after tax! Sweet! =)
Old 11-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Was just coming here to post that. It's an amazing deal even for those without the BN membership.

Any particular Criterions that someone can recommend?

I've put Wings of Desire and Rules of the Game in my cart...want a couple more maybe, not sure. Anyone who has Bergman's trilogy care to comment on its value?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyatog View Post
Starting today, Barnes & Noble is running a 50% Criterion Sale! This includes box sets and Blu-Rays! This sale runs in-store and online: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/holida...linkid=1503673

This deal is even better if you have a BN Membership. You will get your normal extra 10% off. Also, there is a $5 off $20 coupon (in-store only) floating around the internet if you are a member as well!

I picked up Repulsion on Blu-Ray today for $14.20 after tax! Sweet! =)
Awesome! Does it indicate when the sale is over?

In any case, this is perfect for me...

EDIT: Just ordered Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Third Man.

Are there any other Criterions that are good to start out at, for a Criterion newbie like me? I've only got Brazil in my collection. I've thought about grabbing Z and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (for myself) and Monsoon Wedding (for a lady friend this X-Mas) with this deal as well.

Last edited by drc5145; 11-10-2009 at 09:37 PM..