Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Here's something I haven't seen much news on: I was on aintitcool a couple of weeks ago, and read a story where Harry mentioned that Criterion will be putting out Dazed and Confused sometime this year.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Goosey
Here's something I haven't seen much news on: I was on aintitcool a couple of weeks ago, and read a story where Harry mentioned that Criterion will be putting out Dazed and Confused sometime this year.
I'll believe that when I see it. And when I see it I wont buy it because I already have the recently released special edition.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:58 PM
I don't have it yet, so I might get it if/when it comes out. Apparently Linklater himself told Harry this at a party or something so I suppose there's a good chance.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Can I use this thread to say I ordered my first criterion DVD?.....

.....If I can....then I just ordered my first criterion DVD (Insomnia (original)).....

.....*throws confetti*
Old 02-12-2006, 03:45 PM
The February 2006 Criterion Newsletter said Dazed and Confused Criterion is coming this summer. Happy Face!!!!!

P.S. I just picked up the Adventures of Antoine Doinel...so money...
Old 02-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Wow, whaddaya know about that. I'd been waiting to buy it, since I heard the SE wasn't that good and that Linklater wanted a seperate edition released. Only about a week or two ago, I'd decided that a better version was never coming, and that I'd just buy the current one. Well, what do you know about that...
Old 02-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Alright, Alright, Alright................

That is some of the coolest news I've heard in a long time. I've owned two editions of Dazed & Confused (bare-bones and Flashback Edition) and both are seriously lacking in quality. Finally one of my favorite movies gets the red carpet treatment it deserves, and who better than Criterion to dish it out. I'll start saving today.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy"The Gent"
Alright, Alright, Alright................

That is some of the coolest news I've heard in a long time. I've owned two editions of Dazed & Confused (bare-bones and Flashback Edition) and both are seriously lacking in quality. Finally one of my favorite movies gets the red carpet treatment it deserves, and who better than Criterion to dish it out. I'll start saving today.

I read about that too. They have relaesed Slacker, but I never thought Criterion would do this one. I can't wait to see the cover art!
Old 02-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Indy in IN
I read about that too. They have relaesed Slacker, but I never thought Criterion would do this one. I can't wait to see the cover art!
hey, lets not forget criterion did robocop and armageddon haha, im actually interested in this
Old 04-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Yi Yi

Severely luscious news...considering I was about to purchase the old disc next week. I've been looking towards Criterion to release more movies by current international directors, and with this Criterion is certainly living up to their promise of releasing new directors into the collection this year. Great, great, news that would have been much greater had this been "A Brighter Summer Day", currently unrepresented on DVD but continually discussed glowingly amongst people have seen it and properly rated near the top of whatever list they may be compiling. Dig it!

(It's possible the image may be down.)

The rest of the year looks like:

The Complete Mr. Arkadin - 4/18
Elevator to the Gallows - 4/25
Fists in the Pocket - 4/25
Late Sping - 5/9
Viridiana - 5/23
Harlan County USA - 5/23
Dazed and Confused - 6/6
nos amours - 6/6
Equinox - 6/6

With Kicking and Screaming, reissues of Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Seven Samurai, and Playtime due.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Yiyi looks like a good movie, my friend said it was kind of similar to Mangolia. I'll check it out sometime.
I'm eagerly awaiting Mr. Arkadin, Equinox, and Elevator to the Gallow.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:02 AM
Here's another..

Old 04-14-2006, 11:39 AM
I've never heard of eithre (as is the case with many criterion titles) but I'm interested in YiYi and I really hope the people at criterion would release more titles from countries that aren't apart of NATO more often (except for Sweden and Japan)
Old 04-14-2006, 09:05 PM
i'm really excited about both those releases. There's been a lot of complaints about all the recent releases, but i don't see why....these new upcoming releases all have me pretty excited.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Old 04-28-2006, 05:03 PM
That should be interesting.
I'll look into that film.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:03 PM
I'll lump that with the other Powell and Pressburger's to catch up with.

That cover isn't that bad. I'm going off my instinct, naturally, because I have no knowledge of good art techniques, or better yet, bad art techniques. It's probably bad that it is reminiscent of those throwaway-Wal Mart romance novels.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Saruman
How come hardly anything recognizable gets a Criterion? Who picks these films?

Exactly!!
Old 05-03-2006, 09:39 PM
hard boiled and the killer are two of my favorite movies (look at my avatar) and they have criterion editions out there that have been discontinued. anyone know where i could get them for under $500?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:18 PM
It seems Criterionco.com has a new layout...as well as 9 new films set to be released.

And...a new location for their logo?!:

Kicking and Screaming also has a cover, with the exact location of the Criterion logo as Seduced and Abandoned...but that's not working for me right now.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Hmm, I know. It wasn't working for me either.
But I like the new logo. Kicking and Screaming & Seduced and Abandoned seems like a great double feature.
I will try to get both.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:51 AM
I like the new logo. I wonder if it still looks the same on the spine.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:47 AM
I hate the new logo. It's so unimaginative. I also hate the new cover. It's like one of those old Static-X covers plus it has way to much writing on it.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:09 PM
The Seduced and Abandoned cover looks like something Robert Crumb would draw, or probably did draw, considering the exaggerated sexism involved in Divorce Italian Style and no doubt in Seduced and Abandoned.

The new design is awful. Isn't the idea to be less intrusive? The old design had the logo placed near the top, allowing the rest of the cover the room for the artwork. Are they going to work around the side-popping tab every time or have it plastered over the side of every cover?

They should go back and add the goofy tab to all covers:

It still remains cover art though. And thankfully the upcoming movies look so good as if to disregard the cover, no matter how silly. Also, the floating C? With something more obscure like Seduced and Abandoned you may get blind buys based on its inclusion into The Criterion Collection, but still, is it necessary to include the name twice? It's akin to those pointless "Golden Collection" splattered on most studio DVDs, used as a marketing device.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Hmm, you've convinced me.
I didn't think it looked that bad because I forgot how neat the old logo was. With The Wages of Fear, you've shown how awful it really is.
Still, I like the Seduced and Abandoned cover art. It's crazy, and does look like something Crumb would draw.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dman476
With The Wages of Fear, you've shown how awful it really is.
That was more anti-tab propaganda. It's not that bad, but I can't say the same for the giant, floating C.

The Rohmer covers are posted here, along with Kicking and Screaming:

Eric Rohmer
Old 05-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Not a fan.

Some of the covers look all right like Seduced and Abandoned, but then there are others that the tabs become the focal point of the cover like with Kicking and Screaming.

I'm sure they'll grow on me later on down the line. Until then I shall wave my fists in anger.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by HeavyFknMetal
Until then I shall wave my fists in anger.

Shake harder boy!
Old 05-19-2006, 06:09 PM
OKAY, thanks for posting the covers.
I'm not 100% convinced it's pure shit.
The tab isn't that bad even though I don't like it. Why must they put the year the film was made on the front?
And the "C", tsk tsk tsk.
That is disastrous.
It's like a piece of beige shit floating around on the cover.
Can someone tell me why they had to change it?
Old 05-20-2006, 01:32 PM
I guess i'm one of the few who enjoys the new look. Yeah, the last look probably looked better overall, but this isn't bad looking, and just needs some accustoming to. THey've been using the last logo for about 300 titles now (almost) and it's nice to go with something different. I don't mind the tab nor the "C" in the corner. The website however, i'm not too thrilled about it....too much white space.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tayzlor

Shake harder boy!
The fact that you found that screenshot is nothing less than brilliant.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Brace yourself....for....SEPTEMBER

• Galleries of posters from selected Nakagawa and Shintoho Studio films
    Theatrical trailer
    New, restored high-definition digital transfer
    "Building the Inferno," a new documentary on Nakagawa and the making of the film
    New and improved English subtitle translation
    New essay by noted Asian cinema critic Chuck Stephens

[list]
New, restored high-definition digital transfer
"The Footprints of a Spirit" documentary featuring Erice, Torrent and more
Director interview, "Victore Erice in Madrid"
Interview with film scholar Linda Ehrlich
Interview with actor Fernando Fernan Gomez
New essay by film schol Paul Julian Smith

• 3 discs
    All-new restored, high-definition digital transfer
    Commentary by film scholars David Desser, Joan Mellen, Donald Richie and more
    Commentary by Japanese film expert Michael Jeck
    50-minute making-of documentary, "Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful To Create"
    Two-hour conversation between Kurosawa and Nagisa Oshima
    New documentary, "Seven Samurai: Origins and Influences"
    Theatrical trailers and teaser
    Essays by Peter Cowie, Philip Kemp, Kenneth Turan, Sidney Lumet and more

• 2discs
    All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer
    Commentary by scholars Peter Brunette and Frank Burke
    New 45-minute documentary, "Fellini's Homecoming"
    Video interview with star Magali Noel
    Fellini's drawings of characters in the film
    "Felliniana" collection devoted to the film
    Audio interviews with Fellini, his friends and family
    New restoration demonstration
    American release trailer
    Optional English-dubbed soundtrack
    A book featuring Fellini's memoir La Mia Rimini and essay by Sam Rohdie

They're also re-releasing Brazil with a new transfer and the same coverart (with the new logos).

Everything listed is first day buyable, minus "Jigoku" (which I haven't heard of).

Last edited by Tayzlor; 06-15-2006 at 04:42 PM..
Old 06-15-2006, 09:33 PM
That Seven Samurai set is fucking sweet.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:52 PM

Holy fucking shit 2/3's of these DVDs are re-releases for god's sake!

This is truly awful work from a normally top notch company. I'm very dissapointed. Fuck it, I think I'm actually gonna write a complaint to whatever the hell department is responsible for it.

The DVDs look nice, but I don't wanna buy the same old DVDs over and over again.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:39 PM
I know Macready.
And just my fucking luck, from the 15 or so Criterion dvds I have, the re-releases are of the dvds I actually bought.
Brazil? Fuck you. Same dvd, different transfer.
I've had my CC dvd for a month or so, and I haven't even popped it in. I'll pass. Playtime is something I can wait on, I don't like the film that much. M. Hulot's Holiday is much better than Mon Oncle and that, so I'll wait.
Seven Samurai and Amarcord look amazing.
Amarcord is a must buy for me - if not only for the Fellini-esque special features, but the transfer.
I've wanted to see the Spirit of the Beehive for a while.
Some good news in the bunch, but I was hoping for a more interesting batch, like the August one.
This one isn't very diverse.

I must admit, that Amarcord makes me foam at the mouth.
The cover is really nice.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MacReady
Holy fucking shit 2/3's of these DVDs are re-releases for god's sake!

This is truly awful work from a normally top notch company. I'm very dissapointed. Fuck it, I think I'm actually gonna write a complaint to whatever the hell department is responsible for it.

The DVDs look nice, but I don't wanna buy the same old DVDs over and over again.
I can see your anger, understand your anger but, alas, I don't own these wonderful titles, so I'm all beaming, all things shining (to quote "The Thin Red Line")!

These rereleases are completely necessary, they aren't fourth versions of "Black Hawk Down" or "T2". Previous releases were bare-bones with shoddy, non-anamorphic transfers...not on a "Metropolitan" or a "Tunes of Glory", but rather two universal classics made by two of the biggest directors around. Criterion needs the money, of couse, but they wouldn't re-release something unless they believed it needed it.

If I owned the "Brazil" DVD, I would surely be pissed off, all over the place, but at least they are releasing a single-disc version to appease the people who purchased the expensive set

Last edited by Tayzlor; 06-15-2006 at 11:50 PM..
Old 06-16-2006, 03:14 AM
Actually, I don't understand MacReady's anger. They release about 3 NEW films a month, and they only cut that down by 1 and giving re-issues of 3 AMAZING movies that were pretty much barebones, and re-issuing another that was previously out of print and going for about $100 on eBay consistently. And last year, i believe they made September the reissue month as well. So the announcement of these releases has made September my favorite Criterion month so far of the year.

I'd also like to add that i own Brazil, Seven Samurai, and Amarcord, and i will be buying the new editions of each, minus Brazil as the three-disc is sufficient enough for me. I'm however extremely happy about the Playtime being re-issued and now i can avoid buying it on eBay for about triple the price.

And as for the two new films to Criterion, Jigoku and Spirit of the Beehive both have me extremely interested and awaiting September quite eagerly.

Last edited by SamSanchez; 06-16-2006 at 03:19 AM..
Old 06-17-2006, 12:19 PM
So the new covers have the years release on left? I dunno, I've always dug the consistantcy in their covers.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:29 PM
You guys keep saying that you don't understand my anger, but you keep giving yourselves away when you say that you haven't bought any of these DVDs. I have.

I mean, maybe if only Seven Samurai and Amarcord were re-released this month, it wouldn't have been earth-shattering but the fact remains that 2/3's of their releases are movies I already own. I wanna complete the entire collection, not be forced to go back and re-buy the same goddamn movies over and over again.

This is more annoying for me than for average buyers since I'm a completist and am bound my habbit to get them all, but I say this is a load of bullshit. Criterion has released dozens of barebones titles within their first 100 releases alone, so I think they should just cut their loses. I know some of them are going to be really mind blowing, but releasing things like The 400 Blows or Brazil and making them only slightly different from the old releases is just plain obnoxious. Releases like Beauty And The Beast and Grey Gardens are perfectly fine and don't need to be re-done every goddamn time.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Re: Brace yourself....for....SEPTEMBER

Quote:
Originally posted by Tayzlor
They're also re-releasing Brazil with a new transfer and the same coverart (with the new logos).
This is sort of lame considering i just bought Brazil a day ago. I suppose all they will be doing is making it anamorphic, which since I don't even own a widescreen tv (YET), I guess this is nothing to wet my pants about.

The Seven Samurai and Amarcord rereleases are something I've been waiting for, and I will be all over those in september.