Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MacReady
You guys keep saying that you don't understand my anger, but you keep giving yourselves away when you say that you haven't bought any of these DVDs. I have.
Hey, I said I understand your anger. Criterions are expensive, especially for Canadians. And Sam owns all the old versions of the rereleases except Playtime.

Quote:

This is more annoying for me than for average buyers since I'm a completist and am bound my habbit to get them all, but I say this is a load of bullshit. Criterion has released dozens of barebones titles within their first 100 releases alone, so I think they should just cut their loses. I know some of them are going to be really mind blowing, but releasing things like The 400 Blows or Brazil and making them only slightly different from the old releases is just plain obnoxious. Releases like Beauty And The Beast and Grey Gardens are perfectly fine and don't need to be re-done every goddamn time.
Seven Samurai needs this rerelease. The picture quality is awful, it's all shakey and the those white spots pop up constantly (I guess it's called dirt). It makes perfect sense for them to rerelease it given that and that it's one of their most popular movies. I don't know Criterion's financial situation, but I'm sure they need the money to release the A Nos Amours and the Fists in the Pockets out there. It's getting harder and harder for them to have a new cash cow as all the popular movies make there way onto DVD. Plus, the "Seven Samurai" rerelease is a good launching title for their new logo.

The 400 Blows was a money-grabber, but not for the owners of the original Antoine Doinel box-set. They probably should've taken their new Brazil further and allowed free copies of the single-disc new transfer if you said in your UPC or something.

It'll probably anger you more that they have plans to rerelease Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Picnic at Hanging Rock, probably High and Low, and I think The Third Man (which isn't necessary).
Old 06-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tayzlor
It'll probably anger you more that they have plans to rerelease Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Picnic at Hanging Rock, probably High and Low, and I think The Third Man (which isn't necessary).
So angry....must....kill.....everyone.....

That's actually not so bad for me I guess since I don't own Yojimbo, Picnic, or High and Low. Plus I'll be happier than a pig in shit to get a nice new version of Hanging Rock.

As for MacReady, I'm sure he'll be steaming with joy.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Quote:
You guys keep saying that you don't understand my anger, but you keep giving yourselves away when you say that you haven't bought any of these DVDs. I have.
Actually, I didn't read many other replies to this other than yours, and I am one of the ones that doesn't understand your anger, and I also included in my reply that I own 3 of the 4 DVDs that are being re-released. The only one i don't own is Playtime. ANd I'm looking forward to September. I also consider myself a completist in a way....probably don't have as much as you (i really have no idea how much you have though), but i'm closing in on 200 Criterion owned, which is safe to say far above the average on here. So yeah, i guess i could understand where you're coming from being a little ticked off, but not TOO much really. I apologize again though if it sounds like i'm trying to put you down or anything though.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:35 PM
I can actually see why this would aggravate Macready.
I don't like buying titles over and over again, grante Criterion doesn't usually do that. If I was a completist like Macready, I'd be pretty angered by the shameless 400 Blows plug, Beauty and the Beast, and of course, Grey Gardens.
But lucky for me, I'm not a completist.
I don't have too many Criterion titles, and with strange misfortune, I own Amarcord, Seven Samurai, and Brazil.
Does it mean I'm angry by the re-releases?
Yes and no.
I wish they would come out with these SE's in the first place, but they didn't, and these special editions sound amazing.
The films were in need of better editions, so whatever.
Brazil is shameless attempt though.
No way am I buying that - the free double dip for the single disc version Tayzlor would be awesome, but they wouldn't do that.
And I can't wait for Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Picnic at Hanging Rock, High and Low, and The Third Man SEs. Mainly because they're great films and I don't own them

I went off and sold my Seven Samurai and Carnival of Souls Criterions. It was hard to let them go, but I figured I could use the cash for some other films later on this month.
Seven Samurai since I'm getting the new SE later on, and Carnival of Souls...well because it sucks, and was kind of a bad blind buy.
It sucks in a good way, but I've had it for a few years, and I've only seen it once. Never seen the special features too.
So, yeah - definitely not a keeper. I'm thinking of selling the first disc in the Brazil dvd, if they give me like 15 bucks for it, it might be worth it. I'm not sure though.
Amarcord I can't sell because my parents bought it in back when it first came out, so I'm cool with that. It's my dad's favorite Fellini film.
And because it's his,it won't really be a double dip for me.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dman476
I went off and sold my Seven Samurai and Carnival of Souls Criterions. It was hard to let them go, but I figured I could use the cash for some other films later on this month.
Seven Samurai since I'm getting the new SE later on, and Carnival of Souls...well because it sucks, and was kind of a bad blind buy.
It sucks in a good way, but I've had it for a few years, and I've only seen it once. Never seen the special features too.
Aw, man, I love Carnival of Souls! I blind bought the Criterion years ago, and became a fan of the film ever since...and the extra features a pretty nice, too. Hearkens back to a nostalgia of B-movie mania; no matter how bad the production values, or, hell, any element, of an Ed Wood, Ray Dennis Steckler or Herk Harvey movie, I still enjoy the hell out of 'em.

There's a version out there w/Mike Nelson (Mystery Science Theater) doing a commentary track. I'd want to listen to that...
Old 06-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazy Boy
Aw, man, I love Carnival of Souls! I blind bought the Criterion years ago, and became a fan of the film ever since...and the extra features a pretty nice, too. Hearkens back to a nostalgia of B-movie mania; no matter how bad the production values, or, hell, any element, of an Ed Wood, Ray Dennis Steckler or Herk Harvey movie, I still enjoy the hell out of 'em.

There's a version out there w/Mike Nelson (Mystery Science Theater) doing a commentary track. I'd want to listen to that...
I said it sucks in a good way
Like a good B-movie, but I've seen better B-movies.
I think I mentioned that I like sci-fi B-movies more than almost anything else in film. Plan 9, the Blob, Desintation Earth, This Island Earth, the Day the Earth Stood Still (well, this is pretty A grade stuff), Teenagers from Outer Space, and countless others of course. Those are so fun.
And the game Destroy All Humans is a perfect counterpart to those films.

Carnival of Souls is interesting, and I'm sure the features are good - I might rebuy it if there were an SE, but like I said, I've only seen it once. The picture quality wasn't that great on the release.
But it is a cool Macabre film.
It's not that it's a bad B-movie by any means, I'm merely saying I've had more fun watching others. God knows, it is a better film than Equinox. It's just an odd criterion title, and I figured I'd need the money to pick up Hail! Hail! Rock 'N' Roll", "Plan 9 From Outer Space: SE", and "The Little Shop of Horrors: SE" later this month.

Is there really a MIke Nelson commentary for Carnival?
That'd be pretty kick ass.
A somewhat good movie for MST3K for once.
I wish they'd include it on the Criterion.
That'd be a dvd worth keeping.
Hopefully they release Carnival under their logo with the Mike Nelson commentary. That'd be wicked.

And you know the Plan 9 dvd I mentioned, that has a Mike Nelson commentary which I want to listen to really bad.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Quote:
I'd be pretty angered by the shameless 400 Blows plug.
I really don't think "The 400 Blows" was shameless. It seems more courteous, even if money was the driving force behind it's separation from the boxset. "The 400 Blows" is too much of a popular classic to be confined to a 60 dollar boxset, and it is the same version from the boxset.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:54 PM
I didn't mean shameless to non completists.
To Macready, it is a shameless plug.
To me, it is a miracle

It is courteous, but obviously, if I was a collector like Macready per se, I'd be pretty pissed although if it's the same dvd, do you need to buy it even if you are a completist? Is it just for the packaging?

Oh, and did anyone else get a Grand Illusion post card in the dvd?
Old 06-24-2006, 04:53 PM
I got EQUINOX from Netflix, and I wrapped up watching the 1970 version a while ago. Please tell me most of the Criterion movies are better than this godawful B-movie...

"Asmodeus! I just remembered, that's another name for the Devil!"

Needless to say, I sent it back without watching the student film version.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Adam J. Hakari
I got EQUINOX from Netflix, and I wrapped up watching the 1970 version a while ago. Please tell me most of the Criterion movies are better than this godawful B-movie...

"Asmodeus! I just remembered, that's another name for the Devil!"

Needless to say, I sent it back without watching the student film version.
Yeah, i love b-movies, but Equinox was not great at all. It gets credit for being the film to inspire the Evil Dead movies and for the budget that was used, it wasn't that bad. But yeah, DO NOT let Equinox discourage you from the Criterion collection.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:52 PM
Quote:
It is courteous, but obviously, if I was a collector like Macready per se, I'd be pretty pissed although if it's the same dvd, do you need to buy it even if you are a completist? Is it just for the packaging?
I do have my limits (like the fact that I won't buy the single releases of Fanny And Alexander or the one-disc Life Aquatic release) because they are basically the exact same thing as another release in the collection. I think I went too far with The 400 Blows, but it's the fact that it's a different cover makes it unique enough to make me go out and get it.

As for Sam and Tayzlor, let's not turn this nerdy, basement-dwelling argument into a internet drama. What I ultimately meant was that I had damn good reason to be pissed. I have other complaints.

Along with the fact that they annouced 4 re-released with only 2 measely original titles on the same month, there's also the issue that I'm a completist. I buy from them at an insane rate, yet they keep doing this to me and I have to go back and update certain spines in order to be up to date, rather than just letting me collect the ones I'm missing so I can fill up my collection. Also, I figured since I'm such a big collector, why can't they do this kind of crap sparingly?

Also, I will note that they've released literally dozens of barebones titles. If criterion was to adopt an attitude where they should start going back and re-release their crappier titles we could end up with literally many many duplicate titles.

Finally, I guess I might be a bit steamed since the news of the Grey Gardens and The Third Man being re-released have made me a little pissed. Well, that's all.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Quote:
As for Sam and Tayzlor, let's not turn this nerdy, basement-dwelling argument into a internet drama. What I ultimately meant was that I had damn good reason to be pissed. I have other complaints.
Internet drama? Come on Mac, I said I understood your anger. I just disagreed with you on Criterion's release schedule (man, this is nerdy). Being a Canadian Criterion Completist has to take up all your monthly funds.

Last edited by Tayzlor; 06-25-2006 at 02:07 PM..
Old 06-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Internet drama? Come on Mac, I said I understood your anger. I just disagreed with you on Criterion's release schedule (man, this is nerdy). Being a Canadian Criterion Completist has to take up all your monthly funds.
No no, I wasn't talking about you. Just the momentary misunderstanding that we were having (about when I said you guys weren't really understanding me and shit. I knew you said you understood me and all that).

I still hate those bastards at criterion by the way. I'd better win their little contest for this month or I am gonna be pissed.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:50 PM
Quote:
I still hate those bastards at criterion by the way. I'd better win their little contest for this month or I am gonna be pissed.
Shit, I deleted my newsletter. What is it? I gave up trying to muster up a decent enough haiku for the contest.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Shit, I deleted my newsletter. What is it? I gave up trying to muster up a decent enough haiku for the contest.
Meh, it was about some tunes on the Dazed And Confused soundtrack. At first I figured I wouldn't even bother (like I did with the haiku) because I didn't know shit about music. However I then started searching for lyrics and before I knew it I had a complete list.

If you ask nicely, I can repost the questions and you can try your luck.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:00 AM
Quote:
If you ask nicely, I can repost the questions and you can try your luck.
MacReady, grand, brave!
May I have the questions, sir?
Please not on the face.

Last edited by Tayzlor; 06-26-2006 at 05:53 PM..
Old 06-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Quote:
MacReady, grand and brave!
Please not on the face.
that WAS pretty nice
Old 06-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Quote:
MacReady, grand, brave!
Please not on the face.
You know, you actually managed to come off as more gay and effeminate than your avatar. It nearly put me off from actually telling you. Nevertheless:

1. “See the curtains hanging in the window
In the evening on a Friday night.
A little light a-shining through the window
Lets me know everything’s all right.”

2. “You could dance all night if you felt all right,
drinking whiskey and throwing dice.”

3. “Did you have any bad dreams, did you break any glass?
Would you be my companion, is there even a chance?”

4. “Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand.
Peached up, Peached Ale, never fails.
Must have been a dream, I don’t believe where I’ve been.
Come on, let’s do it again.”

5. “All over the country I’ve seen it the same,
Nobody’s winning at this kind of game.
We’ve got to do better; it’s time to begin.
You know all the answers must come from within,
so. . . ”

6. “You stand in the front just a-shakin’ your ass.
I’ll take you backstage, you can drink from my glass.
I talk about something you can sure understand,
‘cause a month on the road an I’ll be eating from your hand.”

7. “I hope y’all know what I’m talkin’ about,
The way she wiggled that thing, it really knocks me out.
Gettin’ high all the time, but if you’re not there too
Come on a little closer, gonna do it to you.
Yeah. . .”

Bonus question:
“Get high, everybody, get high.
Get high, everybody, get high.
Get high, everybody, get high.
Get high, everybody, get high.”
Old 06-26-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
You know, you actually managed to come off as more gay and effeminate than your avatar. It nearly put me off from actually telling you. Nevertheless:
Hope you're referring to my old avatar and not my current one with the pretty brunette.

These questions are definitely going to be googled up.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Interesting, ecletic, comtemporary selection for October...

Lodge Kerrigan began his succession of utterly unique, visually and aurally dazzling character studies with the raw, ravaging Clean, Shaven. A compelling headfirst dive into the mindscape of a schizophrenic (played by the remarkable Peter Greene) as he tries to track down his birth daughter after he is released from an institution, Kerrigan’s film brilliantly uses sound and image to lead audiences into a terrifying subjectivity. No one is left unscathed.
  • New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Lodge Kerrigan
  • Audio commentary in which Steven Soderbergh interviews Kerrigan
  • New video piece written and narrated by critic Michael Atkinson exploring the film’s unique subjectivity and sound design
  • MP3 downloads from the film's final sound mix
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Plus: A new essay by critic Dennis Lim

Though she followed it with a string of brilliant films, Jane Campion will always be remembered for her stunning debut feature, Sweetie. Campion focuses her askew lens on the hazardous relationship between the buttoned-down, superstitious Kay and her rampaging, devil-may-care sister, “Sweetie,” and by extension, their entire family’s profoundly rotten roots. A feast of quirky photography and captivating, idiosyncratic characters, Sweetie heralded the emergence of this enormously gifted director as well as the breakthrough of Australian cinema, which would take international film by storm in the Nineties.
  • New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Sally Bongers and approved by director Jane Campion
  • New Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack Audio commentary featuring Campion and Bongers and screenwriter Gerard Lee
  • Making Sweetie, a new video interview featuring stars Genevieve Lemon and Karen Colston
  • Campion’s early short films: An Exercise in Discipline: Peel; Passionless Moments; and A Girl’s Own Story
  • Jane Campion: The Film School Years, a 1989 conversation between Campion and critic Peter Thompson
  • Gallery of behind-the-scenes photos and production stills
  • Original theatrical trailer
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Plus: A new essay by film scholar Dana Polan

Anchored by a ferocious lead performance from Rod Steiger as a scheming land developer, Francesco Rosi’s Hands Over the City moves breathlessly from a cataclysmic building collapse to the backroom negotiations of civic leaders vying for power in the City Council election. Plunging headfirst into the politically driven real-estate speculation that has devastated Naples’ civilian landscape, Hands Over the City, which was awarded the Golden Lion at the 1963 Venice Film Festival, remains a blistering work of social realism.
  • New, restored high-definition digital transfer
  • New video interviews with director Francesco Rosi, film critic Tullio Kezich, and filmmaker Jean-Pierre Gorin
  • Video discussion with Rosi, co-writer Raffaele La Capria, and film critic Michel Ciment
  • Plus: A new essay by film critic Stuart Klawams and a 2003 interview with Rosi

AND (no coverart at the moment)

Sólo con tu pareja (Only With Your Pair..?)
by Alfonso Cuarón

Before Alfonso Cuarón helmed the international sensation Y tu mamá también, he made his mark on Mexican cinema with the ribald and lightning-quick contemporary social satire Sólo con tu pareja. Don Juan-ish yuppie Tomás Tomás (Daniel Giménez Cacho, from Bad Education) spends his nights juggling so many beautiful women that he can’t keep their names straight—until one of his many conquests, a spurned nurse, gives him a taste of his own medicine. Beautifully filmed in widescreen by the inimitable Emmanuel Lubezki (The New World), Cuarón’s wildly successful feature debut (which has never been released in the U.S.) gave voice to a Mexican middle-class that had remained largely unseen onscreen, and surveys contemporary urban sexual mores with style to spare.
  • New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki
  • A new documentary on the making of Sólo con tu pareja, featuring Cuarón, screenwriter Carlos Cuarón, and actor Daniel Giménez Cacho
  • Alfonso Cuarón’s 1983 short film Quartet for the End of Time
  • Carlos Cuarón’s 2000 short film Wedding Night
  • Original theatrical trailer
  • New and improved English subtitle translation

EDIT: I should've just linked to the official site, where they are up:
Coming Soon
Old 07-17-2006, 08:32 PM
I don't know.
I'm not too excited for these films, but I might get either the Cuaron film or Clean, Shaven.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:22 PM
I can't wait for the three-disc Criterion re-issue of Seven Samurai! September 5th!
Old 07-17-2006, 09:37 PM
I will probably pick up Clean, Shaven because it sounds interesting.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Quote:
I don't know.
I'm not too excited for these films, but I might get either the Cuaron film or Clean, Shaven.
Yeah, it appears Criterion picked October to dump all of their more obscure titles. November is supposed to bring Kieslowski's "The Double Life of Veronique".

I'm excited for the new Francesco Rosi film -- I cherish my copy of Salvatore Giuliano.

But this month is highly appropriate when juxtaposed with last month and all those big name titles by big name directors.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:06 AM
I totally forgot about the promised Kieslwoski.
That I can't wait for (everyone says its Veronique; I'm hoping Dekalog).
Rosi will be a rental for me, and you're right about the obscure titles of this month. They do need to mix it up a bit - but they are some of the oddest titles I've seen in Criterion.
"Sweetie"?
Since when is Jane Campion a refined auteur?
Oh well.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:53 AM
I've always wanted to see Sweetie in some format or the other...An Angel at My Table was a great film for Campion, and although her followup, The Piano, was well regarded, I think she's one of the last prominent female directors to fall so high from grace to the point of oblivion (In the Cut? Portrait of a Lady? Holy Smoke? Holy shit, what happened?).
Old 07-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Clean, Shaven sounds pretty rad. Might pick it up if some schmoes dug it.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Rosenbaum's description of "Sweetie" makes it a must-see:

"Those lucky enough to have seen Jane Campion's eccentric and engaging shorts (such as Passionless Moments and A Girl's Own Story) had reason to expect her first feature to be a breakthrough for the Australian cinema. But nothing quite prepares one for the astonishing freshness and sheer weirdness of this 1989 black comedy about two sisters (Genevieve Lemon and Karen Colston) locked in a deadly struggle. Practically every shot is unorthodox, unexpected, and poetically right, and the swerves of the plot are simultaneously smooth, logical, and so bizarre you'll probably wind up pondering them days later. Some critics have compared Campion to David Lynch, but apart from a similar taste for the offbeat and a flair for painterly composition, she's too good and original to be passed off as secondhand--and her acute grasp of character and a family's psychological dynamics is well beyond Lynch's range. The mad behavior of both sisters may make you squirm, and there are plenty of other things in this picture--including the other characters--to make you feel unbalanced, but Campion does so many beautiful, funny, and unexpected things with our disquiet that you're likely to come out of this movie seeing the world quite differently. In short, this is definitely not to be missed."
Old 07-18-2006, 09:08 PM
That actually makes the film (at the very least sound) appealing.
I will actually rent it now...
Thanks Tayzlor.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:30 PM
November Criterions:

As per usual, all highly anticipated and at least worth renting.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:36 PM
Will be checking out all of the new ones. I looked them up on IMDB and they sound interesting, especially The Double Life of Veronique.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:21 PM
Pandora's Box is a rental since I'd never heard of it, but the others I've wanted to see for a long time.
I can't wait to get Idol and Veronique...
Old 08-22-2006, 09:57 PM
I should watch Diary of a Lost Girl, but I think I might watch both films together. It depends.

I've already seen The Double Life, and like everything else Kieslowski touches, I just didn't like it. Perhaps a re-watch would be best (ah hell, I'm gonna have to own it eventually anyhow).
Old 08-23-2006, 02:31 AM
i'm really looking forward to Fallen Idol quite a bit, along with Double Life....i have seen neither but are certain purchases for me.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Here is Coverart for Sólo con tu pareja.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:06 AM
December and January

Symbiopsychotaxiplasm

Specs: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=360

The Beales of Grey Gardens

Which is also packaged with:

Grey Gardens

Specs:
http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=123

Border Radio

Specs:
http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=362

Yojimbo

Specs:

Sanjuro

Specs:
http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=53

Masters and Madmen Boxset

Specs:
http://www.criterionco.com/asp/boxed_set.asp?id=364

Mouchette

Specs:
http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=363
------------------
The lot is dominated by low budget American movies rather than the usual recognized master directors.

Why do I get the feeling that Criterion is trying to out-austere Bresson with their covers and supplements?
Old 10-18-2006, 03:00 AM
i'm actually looking forward to all of those right there....especially Mouchette and the Monsters and Madmen box set.

Also, in related news, over at Fry's by me, the two new Criterion releases (Clean, Shaven and Solo con tu pareja) were being sold for only $12.99 a piece. First I thought a misticket, but nope, all were labelled as that, so it was nice times there.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:31 PM
The Sanjuro and Yojimbo covers are fucking PIMP.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:38 AM
If First Man into Space/The Atomic Submaine weren't packaged so expensively with the other double feature, it would be a certain blind buy.

First Man Into Space:

"In this interstellar cautionary tale, brash U.S. Navy test pilot Dan Prescott, hungry for fame, jettisons himself beyond Earth’s atmosphere, only to come in contact with a hideously mutating extraterrestrial virus."
Old 10-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Quote:
If First Man into Space/The Atomic Submaine weren't packaged so expensively with the other double feature, it would be a certain blind buy.
I sadly agree.
I'll have to get them off Netflix first, but I do love films like that.