Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2006, 08:37 PM
February Releases are up!!!

#369 - #373:
Paul Robeson: Portraits of An Artist (Box Set)

Consists of:
-Body and Soul
-Borderline
-Emperor Jones
-Paul Robeson: Tribute to an Artist
-The Proud Valley
-Native Land
-Sanders of the River
-Jericho

#374: Bicycle Thieves (Vittorio De Sica)

#375: Green for Danger (Sidney Gilliat)

#376: 49th Parallel (Michael Powell)

#377: When a Woman Ascends the Stairs (Mikio Naruse)

Extremely happy to see Bicycle Thieves, 49th Parallel and the Naruse coming out finally...already a great month there. And Green for Danger actually sounds pretty damn good, so I'll be looking forward this month.

Avaiable Cover Art for the above:

Old 11-22-2006, 12:45 AM
"Bicycle Thieves" looks like a fuckin' trading card.

Still an essential DVD though.

It appears that more and more Criterion will be dipping into their obscure title reservoir for releases -- and there is nothing wrong with that! You can only release so many Godard and Bresson. Has anyone ever heard of "Green for Danger"? Interesting title, among many.

The Paul Robeson's seems to be an important release -- even if my interest in the set falls behind several other titles out there in DVD land. Criterion's upped their black artists total by at least half with that set and "Symbiopsychotaxiplasm".

I look forward to a new director to peruse in Mr. Naruse. Waitaminute.. I sense a haiku...

Who is on the stairs?
A sad woman, ascending
Mikio Naruse

Also interesting is the new blog they have going.

Oh, how I want to give them my money!
Old 11-22-2006, 02:03 AM
yeah...Green for Danger sounds like a great little mystery movie from the '40s. I really look forward to that one. I will no doubt be buying that along with 49th Parallel, Woman Ascending the Stairs, and Bicycle Thieves. I love me some Micahel Powell and De Sica, and have been looking forward to finally seeing something by Naruse.

And as I am completist, I will eventually look to get that Paul Robeson box set, but not for a while.

But yeah, 2007 has already promised to be a great year with:
Monsters and Madmen Box Set
Mouchette (I'm a sucker for Robert Bresson)
Sanjuro/Yojimbo re-releases

and now these announcements.

Now, if only 2007 also sees the releases of:
Army of Shadows
Woman in the Dunes
Overlord
Drunken Angel
Naked City
Ivan's Childhood
Pierrot le Fou

and of course the Alejandro Jodorowsky box set of El Topo, Holy Moutanin, and Fando y Lis

i'll be content for a good while.

In releated news though, i've recently seen that Before Sunset, Before Sunrise, and Suburbia (all by Richard Linklater) will be released on Criterion.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:13 AM
Where did you grab that Linklater tidbit?

Warner owns the two Befores.

My top 5 for 2007:

1. The Red Desert
2. Last Year at Marienbad
3. The Earrings of Madame de...
4. Mizoguchi
5. 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her
6. La Notte

I think it's likely they'll rerelease "The Seventh Seal" in time for its 50th anniversary.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:49 AM
I read it over on the .org site of Criterion forums, but I actually just bothered to read the article. It's an interview with Richard Linklater, but yeah, there is no apparent certainty, so i spoke a tad prematurely, but he states that Before Sunset and Before Sunrise are being sought after by Criterion and that Suburbia is not even released yet on DVD so Criterion is interested in that one as well, and looking to acquire the rights to all three.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Further confirmation about a certain re-releases:

Quote:
Salò:
Have we been able to renew our rights? Well, here’s the answer you weren’t expecting. Yes. We’re working on a brand new HD transfer now. It’ll be a totally new release and be out in 2007.
That's take from the Criterion blog at http://www.criterionco.com/blog/index.html.

So yeah, there's something else huge to look forward in 2007 from Criterion. I didn't really enjoy the film too much, but I would not mind owning a copy of it and not having to pay $600 for it.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:32 AM
If they and Warner don't release their Antonioni holdings I'm going to do something I'll eventually regret.

And how about those rereleases? Such speculation emerges from that! It looks my avoidance of those unattractive disks may have been worth my while (whatever that means).
Old 11-24-2006, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tayzlor
If they and Warner don't release their Antonioni holdings I'm going to do something I'll eventually regret.

And how about those rereleases? Such speculation emerges from that! It looks my avoidance of those unattractive disks may have been worth my while (whatever that means).
Agreed with the first part...

Now, about the second, what do you mean rereleases?
What are they rereleasing (other than Bicycle Thieves)?
Pardon my ignorance...
Old 11-24-2006, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dman476
Now, about the second, what do you mean rereleases?
What are they rereleasing (other than Bicycle Thieves)?
Pardon my ignorance...
From the blog;

"Why do we rerelease a title? What’s next, and are there rebate programs? I actually answered this in detail in the March 2006 newsletter. In short, we only rerelease a film if we can do a significantly better job with either the film transfer, the supplements, or hopefully both. We know there are a good two-dozen early releases (Andrei Rublev and Shock Corridor, to name just a couple) that need to be redone, and we’ll probably get to them at a rate of three to four a year. I tried to find a rebate program for customers who already owned the discs. We had one for Charade. It didn’t work. The participation was very low. The cost was very high, and we couldn’t effectively price the disc without competing with our retailers in a way we found uncomfortable."

Meanwhile MacReady's head is spinning..
Old 11-24-2006, 02:43 AM
Quote:
From the blog;

"Why do we rerelease a title? What’s next, and are there rebate programs? I actually answered this in detail in the March 2006 newsletter. In short, we only rerelease a film if we can do a significantly better job with either the film transfer, the supplements, or hopefully both. We know there are a good two-dozen early releases (Andrei Rublev and Shock Corridor, to name just a couple) that need to be redone, and we’ll probably get to them at a rate of three to four a year. I tried to find a rebate program for customers who already owned the discs. We had one for Charade. It didn’t work. The participation was very low. The cost was very high, and we couldn’t effectively price the disc without competing with our retailers in a way we found uncomfortable."

Meanwhile MacReady's head is spinning..
That's awesome. Thanks Tayzlor.
I'd like to get my hands on a new Andrei Rublev.

Meanwhile MacReady wishes he hadn't bought it...
Old 11-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Now, if only 2007 also sees the releases of:
Army of Shadows
Woman in the Dunes
Overlord
Drunken Angel
Naked City
Ivan's Childhood
Pierrot le Fou
Overlord is definitely coming. Same with The Naked City (which was hinted at in the last Criterion newsletter). March will be a solid release month too
Old 12-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Here's some new artwork (I think):

From the Monsters and Madmen Boxset:

Old 12-03-2006, 11:25 PM
As a fan of '50s B-movies and the like, I'm looking forward to this Monsters & Madmen set. But I hope they're not as disappointing as EQUINOX was...I don't care if the effects people went on to do bigger and better things, that movie was slower than a tortoise in a molasses pit.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:49 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty hyped about the Monsters and Madmen Box Set. I also agree that Equinox was a let down, but this one seems promising. I love old b-horror movies. And The Haunted Strangler and Corridors of Blood seem worth it enough for me. The other two are just added bonuses. I'm actually pretty damn excited about this box set
Old 12-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Those dudes at Criterion played a fast one on the cinephile-somewhat cinephile audience by numbering and touting these discs. It's bothering me how there are some entries in my collection (rather, the mess of DVDs gathered together) that were given the pass, the money, over probably titles I'd find better equipped and much more interesting merely because they sport that slapped on label. Does that bother anyone else? If the lot of Kino's releases were transferred to Criterions people would be more inclined to buy them would they not? It's kinda a blind trust in the burgeoning cinephile group -- if high quality no questions asked of classics is what you desire then invest your money in anything Criterion produces. As a result, interesting DVDs receive some neglect while obscure Criterion's enter many people's canons and bestof lists. But some ex-neglected is better then the remaining neglected, I'd say.

To downplay this I'm going to actually screen my purchases and make it all so fucking thorough. A little insecurity, maybe, but the idea of sending my money for some sort of prefab masterwork is troubling, and I'm sure there are many other masterworks twinkling away in other DVD labels. Criterion is no doubt the primo resource for anyone w/ a passing interest in film (which branches off into an interest of the world around) but they seem to be a stanglehold for the uninitiated, a monopoly on the trained eyes.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:49 PM
I can't say that they've "pulled a fast one" really. Maybe it's just me but I never really cared about the numbering of the discs. The movie is far more important than the number. To me the number means as much as shit in a box.

I don't blind buy Criterions because I know theres a lot of movies that Criterion released, that I simply don't like. Fellini comes to mind as I type this. I only blind buy Criterions if it's a film by a director that I love, or I'm 90% sure I'll love the movie. That and if they're cheap enough, why the hell not.

Quote:
To downplay this I'm going to actually screen my purchases and make it all so fucking thorough
I've pretty much always had this approach myself. Especially since Criterions are as expensive as they are. I've always said I'd rather buy 2 great movies instead of 1 good Criterion.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Maybe it wasn't intentional, but I could probably safely say without accompanying facts that their sales have increased as a result.

I buy for the product as well -- but I kinda elevate their titles over others I know I'd enjoy better. Like "Fishing with John". Sounded interesting and was fairly funny, but it didn't need to be purchased, especially over "Time of the Wolf", a title that lands between two of my favorite movies.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:06 PM
I think its a pretty safe bet to say their sales have gone up because of the numbering. In that aspect, you're probably coreect in your "pulled a fast one" statement. They just didn't pull a fast one on me, I'm far to smart for them.....or something.

And I wholeheartedly agree with your Time of the Wolf comment. That, IMO is Haneke's best film. And I bought it for 8 bucks.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:55 AM
Two new titles were announced in the Criterion Newsletter seen here

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964; Byron Haskin)
Under the Volcano (1984; John Huston)

and also announcing that there will be more titles from the laserdisc line....great news.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:01 AM
I love Criterion's new communication lines and everything but I also miss the element of surprise of coming on and seeing Criterion announce something you have been waiting for for months.

A minor pleasure, but something to look forward to.

Bah, I'm talking out my ass, divulge all info you want Criterion!

There blog is agoldmine man, gere's the latest post..

--
http://www.criterionco.com/blog/index.htmlWell, it’s not exactly writer’s block, but it’s related. I’ve been trying to get this blog entry posted since Tuesday afternoon, but there’s always something that takes me away from the task at hand. I’m procrastinating, and I know why: it’s really kind of a momentous occasion. We are launching a new line. The news will be official on Friday when we ship out PDFs of the first sell sheets for Series 1: Early Bergman. For the past couple of days we’ve been ironing out the last details of the packaging and finalizing the twenty-six words that will appear on the back of every cover: “Eclipse presents a selection of lost, forgotten, or overshadowed films in simple, affordable editions. Each series is a brief cinematheque retrospective for the adventurous home viewer.”

There’s something perilous about writing mission statements. Jon mentioned the famous one from Kane in an earlier blog. That one comes up in conversation a lot. It’s hard to walk the line between idealism and practicality, but that is exactly what we are trying to do with this new line. We’re nine years into the DVD market, and there are still hundreds of important films that can only be seen in old VHS versions or, if you’re lucky enough to live in a town with a good repertory theater, a new print might come around once every ten years or so.

We want those films to be more readily available, and that’s why we’re creating Eclipse. Each month we’ll present a short series, usually three to five films, focusing on a particular director or theme. There will be no supplements and the master materials will be the best we can find, but they won’t be full Criterion restorations. Retail pricing for each set will average under $15 per disc, and we are examining the logistics of making the sets available at an even more favorable rate on a subscriber or club basis. The goal here is to make these films available, to make sure that Criterion’s own work style doesn’t contribute to the continuing unavailability of these films. Once our producers and restoration crew get started on a Criterion edition, the project takes on a life of its own. Months later, with a little luck, we’ll have something really special to show for it, but at that rate we can’t make a dent in the number of important unreleased films that we’d like people to be able to see.

The early films of Ingmar Bergman, the documentaries of Louis Malle—these are extraordinary and important films that are very hard to find outside the revival-house circuit. At the moment you’ll find more Mizoguchis in theaters (thanks to a traveling retrospective) than in the video store, and that’s certainly also true for Naruse, Ozu, and Imamura. While Criterion is working on new special editions of individual pictures by all of these filmmakers, at a rate of maybe one or two a year, we’ll never be able to represent the breadth of their bodies of work. Eclipse will help to fill that gap.

And then there will be discoveries. When you work at Criterion, everyone introduces you to films you’ve never seen, many of which have never been released in the U.S. It’s surprising how many films of extraordinary quality have never been seen here. (If you don’t believe it, just check out the New York Film Critics’ Circle awards, where Army of Shadows, a 1969 film, was selected as best foreign film of 2006. Congratulations to our friends at Rialto on doing a spectacular job bringing this film out from the shadows!) We’re looking forward to introducing quite a few new filmmakers to U.S. audiences, starting with Raymond Bernard whose 1935 Les miserables is the best version of Victor Hugo’s novel ever brought to the screen, and it deserves to be seen alongside his anti-war masterpiece Wooden Crosses.

Okay I’m going to post this now before I start tinkering with the mission language again.
---
Exactly what's needed out of Criterion...just a constant stream of unavailables --- get that film history out for peeping eyes..
Old 12-15-2006, 02:17 AM
THANK YOU GOD!!!

This news has made my week. Is that sad in any sort of way?

Fuck it, I don't care. I cannot wait for this new line to come out. In the mean time, let me try and express my happiness as much as I can through my keyboard....

A;DLFJOQAWEFQPFJAQADFAQQWFOEAFEG;AOQ;GN DA0OWERGNQE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by SamSanchez
and also announcing that there will be more titles from the laserdisc line....great news.
Sweet.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:03 AM
Also, apparently, Louis Malle's My Dinner With Andre shall be coming soon from Criterion as well.

Some support for that found Here
Old 12-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Yes!

That makes me really happy. I've wanted to own 'Andre' for a long time.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:03 PM

Specs can be found at criterion.com

Pretty much perfect month - both directors I've been looking forward to getting into for awhile now (stalled on Dassin, disallowed by distributors on Ichikawa).

I must say though: that Naked City cover is achingly gorgeous. I'd drape a poster of that cover upon my wall, overlapping my 2001, even if the film itself is mediocre.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Ditto'd on the Naked City cover.
I'll be renting Ichikawa films, and buying the Dassin film.

Last edited by dman476; 12-18-2006 at 05:49 PM..
Old 12-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Can't wait to check out The Naked City.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:38 PM
all three are purchases no doubt
Old 12-18-2006, 05:05 PM
I knew there had to be a reason IFC was showing Fires on the Plain, along with commercials of the Janus box set. Well, this gives me great hope of Miss Julie coming out seperately.

Fires on the Plain was good, but I'll be holding off on buying it for a bit. Naked City will be a required purchase though.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by HeavyFknMetal
I knew there had to be a reason IFC was showing Fires on the Plain, along with commercials of the Janus box set. Well, this gives me great hope of Miss Julie coming out seperately.

Fires on the Plain was good, but I'll be holding off on buying it for a bit. Naked City will be a required purchase though.
Yeah...I think its only a matter of time before the previously unreleased titles in the Janus box set all get their individual releases.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Check it out:

Can NOT wait
Old 12-23-2006, 05:10 PM
^^^^

Awesome... can't wait to pick that up.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Same here....Release date is apparently March 13. Retail at about $69.99. So I'm sure it could be found for about $45-$50 at certain stores, which is pretty good price for 5 films.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:47 AM
I think I just had a small orgasam.

....and by small I mean extremely huge.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HeavyFknMetal
I think I just had a small orgasam.

....and by small I mean extremely huge.
We film buffs tend to get a bit schizophrenic around Criterion...kinda like Mel Gibson and the thought of Jews! (Was that an inappropriate allegory?)
Old 01-19-2007, 01:21 AM
APRIL RELEASES:

381:
La Haine (1995; Matthieu Kassovitz)

382:
Overlord (1975; Stuart Cooper)

383:
Brute Force (1947; Jules Dassin)

three AMAZING releases for April. This year continues to remain great....also more great news. This was in this month's newsletter:

The twelve monkeys refer to La Jetee....and the "marker your calender" refers to Chris Marker, director of Sans Soleil (as well as La Jetee) which is also referred to by "the sun's finally coming out". So Sans Soleil/La Jetee set should be coming out soon, and that's pretty damn good news.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Quote:
APRIL RELEASES:

381:
*Orgasm*
Old 01-19-2007, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TylerDurden182
*Orgasm*
Fuck yeah!

I'm so glad I didn't buy the UK release.

So that, and Brute Force for me.

I might rent Overlord.

And if La Jetee is finally coming out, I'll also be happy.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:16 AM
Quote:

381:
Fucking sexy
Old 01-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Quote:
APRIL RELEASES:

381:

382:
Overlord (1975; Stuart Cooper)

383:
Brute Force (1947; Jules Dassin)

three AMAZING releases for April. This year continues to remain great....also more great news. This was in this month's newsletter:
ill definately be picking these three up