Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2007, 12:25 PM
Fantastic! I knew Brute Force was coming - glad it wasn't delayed that long

Overlord!! Sweet mother of god!! <drool>
Old 01-19-2007, 01:54 PM
I can't get over how excited I've been for just about every release announced this year. The only two that I'm a little iffy about are Border Radio, and the Paul Robeson box set....other than that, everything else has been pure gold. And the April Releases only raised the bar.

Also...old news, but I don't see it posted here, but the Series 2 of the Eclipse line was announced as Louis Malle Documentaries
Old 01-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Here's the cover for La Haine, it's finally up:

Old 01-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Sweet cover.

And Malle docs? First time I hear about it, and I can't say I'm terribly excited.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:14 PM
I've been dying to see "La Haine"...its on imdb's top 250 and stars one of my foreign favorites Vicent Cassel. I'm glad to see it finally released on DVD.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SamSanchez

*Tears up*

I love you Criterion.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Quote:

Holy Shiite! That's amazing, better try and unlaod my 3-disc ultimate eidition, or maybe just keep both. CANNOT FUDGING WAIT!
Old 02-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Awesome!!....apparently Jim Jarmusch's Night On Earth is finally be released and through Criterion! That's GREAT news. This is taken from the Criterion main page:

Quote:
"Ask Jim Jarmusch"
When we released Jim Jarmusch's Down by Law a few years back, the "Ask Jim" feature was so popular that we've decided to do it again. We are currently working on a special edition DVD of Jarmusch's Night on Earth, and we're wondering what questions about the film you would like to have answered on the DVD. We can't guarantee Jarmusch will answer all (or any) of your questions, but if you have some, please send them to: noe@criterionco.com.

We will be accepting your questions through February 19. Please do not send any personal requests; they will not be answered. Please do send thoughtful and creative questions, as many as you like. Remember to include your full name, city, state, and country of residence. Thanks for participating and look out for the Night on Earth on DVD this fall!

*By sending a question to this address you allow the Criterion Collection to use your full name, city, state, and country of residence and your question in full or edited form, in any or all media, worldwide, in perpetuity.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Awesome!!....apparently Jim Jarmusch's Night On Earth is finally be released and through Criterion! That's GREAT news. This is taken from the Criterion main page:
Criterion just gets better and better.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:04 AM
Exactly...this year has been damn near FLAWLESS. Last year was pretty damn good, but I think the releases already officially announced couple with the Eclipse line, this year has already surpassed all of last year.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:51 PM
I know that Criterion likes to leave hints on what titles they are going to announce next in their newsletters. So I was wondering if anyone figured out the one that got sent out today? It has an elephant (I think) saying something like, "What better way to waste 15 1/2 hours than walking around Berlin".
Old 02-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by therealjohng
I know that Criterion likes to leave hints on what titles they are going to announce next in their newsletters. So I was wondering if anyone figured out the one that got sent out today? It has an elephant (I think) saying something like, "What better way to waste 15 1/2 hours than walking around Berlin".
I'm sure it has to be Rainer Werner Fassbinder's Berlin Alexanderplatz It's 939 minutes (15 hours and 39 minutes) long.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Quote:
I'm sure it has to be Rainer Werner Fassbinder's Berlin Alexanderplatz It's 939 minutes (15 hours and 39 minutes) long.

Wow, I'd buy it just for that.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:06 PM
It'll probably have to a 5-disc (or more) box set on its own
Old 02-10-2007, 01:07 PM
It was shown originally on broadcast television in episodes so at least it will be easier to watch that way Imagine watching a 15 1/2 hour film in one sitting?? lol

I really wish I could let you guys know what's upcoming from Criterion...oh my you would salivate
Old 02-10-2007, 01:54 PM
[QUOTE]It was shown originally on broadcast television in episodes so at least it will be easier to watch that way Imagine watching a 15 1/2 hour film in one sitting?? lol[QUOTE]

I made it through 12-14 episodes of 24 once. Of course those are fast paced.

Quote "I really wish I could let you guys know what's upcoming from Criterion...oh my you would salivate " Quote

Yeah, you really shouldn't tease us like that if you actually know. I've been known to "dispose" of schmoes who fuck around like that. Every once in awhile you'll see it say, "former schmoe" under their name? Yeah, that's me.

Sorry, I'm really bad at doing the whole splitting up of quotes.

Last edited by therealjohng; 02-10-2007 at 01:56 PM..
Old 02-10-2007, 02:43 PM
well, the ones that haven't been announced via spine number but still have been officially announced either on the website, blogs, or via newsletters that we should know of at least for this year or maybe next year are:
Night on Earth (Jim Jarmusch)
Salo (Re-Issue) (Pier Paolo Pasolini)
Berlin Alexanderplatz (Rainer Werner Fassbinder)
La Jetee (Chris Marker)
Sans Soleil (Chris Marker)
Le Jour se Leve (Marcel Carne)
Miss Julie (Alf Sjoberg)
Robinson Crusoe on Mars (Byron Haskin)
Under the Volcano (John Huston)
My Dinner with Andre (Louis Malle)

and we know some more re-issues of earlier titles, likely candidates are:
Shock Corridor
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Third Man
Andrei Rublev
High and Low
The Lady Vanishes

Also, we know they announced that more laserdisc titles will be released soon too. So there's some hints

And for Eclipse we know:
Le Croix du Bois (Raymond Bernard)
Les Miserables (Raymond Bernard)

then sets by Mikio Naruse, Kenji Mizoguchi, and Yasujiro Ozu

There's also ton of rumored ones that are distinct possibilities, but not quite to the level of cetainty, at least from my knowledge. But yeah, that's all i've read about
Old 02-16-2007, 01:53 PM
MAY RELEASES:

Army of Shadows (Melville; 1969)

Vengeance Is Mine (Immamura; 1979)

Sansho the Bailiff (Mizoguchi; 1954)

this is awesome....Army of Shadows is FINALLY being released, this may be the release I'm now most amped for this year. And Sansho the Bailiff is also amazing.

These haven't been announced the Criterion website yet, but they are at the Image Enterntainment website.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Don't forget the re-issue of The Third Man
Old 02-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Nice...didn't even notice that one. Awesome
Old 02-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Sansho the Baliff is an incredible film...I watched it in my Japanese history class, and I'm stoked that this is finally making its way to dvd.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Quote:
I believe the Criterion edition will actually be an edited version - if I understand correctly:

"The long-awaited DVDs of Fassbinder’s Berlin Alexanderplatz Remastered have just been issued in a special edition by the Süddeutsche Zeitung. The box includes extensive extra materials and a booklet. For more information please refer to http://www.fassbinderfoundation.de/e...ail.php?id=132
Berlin Alexanderplatz will be edited towards the end of 2007 with English subtitles by Criterion. We will post details as we learn about them."

From http://www.fassbinderfoundation.de/n...ews_detail/104

So when they say "edited" I am not entirely sure what that means.

OopAnt
Old 02-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Wow, I'd buy it just for that.
You and me both.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Covers are up:

And the Third Man re-issue:

I love the Third Man and Army of Shadows covers.

Also...all except Vengeance is Mine are $39.99 higher tier titles....that is GREAT news right there...those three deserve incredible releases.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Covers are up:

These are must buys.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Quote:

Oh my fucking god....
Old 02-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Oh my god, I just think I had a criteriorgasm.

Seriously...The Third Man, Army of Shadows, and Sansho?
Good grief, this may be the very best announcement of Criterion I've lived to see yet.

Thanks so much for all the updates Sam.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Quote:

awesome, the two-disc re-issue sounds spectacular
Old 02-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dman476
Oh my god, I just think I had a criteriorgasm.

Seriously...The Third Man, Army of Shadows, and Sansho?
Good grief, this may be the very best announcement of Criterion I've lived to see yet.

Thanks so much for all the updates Sam.
Hah...no problem. This year is amazing...I say it every month, but really, it's just been getting better and better each month....I don't how they can top this one though, as Army of Shadows is quite possibly my most anticipated release, but they gotta keep them coming. Hopefully a Mizoguchi Eclipse Series 3 Box Set for May would be nice.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Hah...no problem. This year is amazing...I say it every month, but really, it's just been getting better and better each month....I don't how they can top this one though, as Army of Shadows is quite possibly my most anticipated release, but they gotta keep them coming. Hopefully a Mizoguchi Eclipse Series 3 Box Set for May would be nice.
I too don't know how they'll top this.
I've been waiting for those three releases forever.
Army of Shadows less than the other two, which says enormous things because I've been dying to see it.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:00 PM
I think the only way they can even come close to top this is if they release:
Bunuel's Exterminating Angel
Kurosawa's Drunken Angel
Kobayashi's Human Condition Trilogy
and the Re-Release of Salo (not that big a fan of movie, but would really love to own an actual Criterion release of this, meh)

which those probably won't be coming any time soon, if ever. Salo for sure later this year, Kobyashi's HC Trilogy i think is slated for early 2008.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Beautiful artwork!!!!!!

As I said before, Criterion has some fantastic stuff lined up for 2007, unfortunately "mum's the word" for now...
Old 02-17-2007, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MisterChristian

As I said before, Criterion has some fantastic stuff lined up for 2007, unfortunately "mum's the word" for now...
Honestly, there really isn't much Criterion could do to surprise us. Their release slate may not be determinable as in what comes out in September or November but you can pinpoint possible plausible titles from their licensing agreements and their Janus/Rialto theatre runs very easily. Couple that with all the juicy titles already announced.

I just want your sweet sweet information! Operates as nutrients on me. Sustains life, that sort of stuff.

I'm with the chorus shitting themselves over "Army of Shadows"...as a taker in of current reviews and a Melville fan it is a definite buy.

I've only seen the other two titles Criterion provided from Mizo and Ima but they were wonderful and everything.

Just announce "La Notte" and "Red Desert" Criterion...My money is your money

Maybe it's me, but don't you think it's likely Criterion is done with Imamura for the year? With a big name among cinephiles but not elsewhere so much they usually match two titles, connect them via coverart, and have them released near-simultaneously. Like what they did for Ichikawa, Dassin, and Olmi.

Last edited by Tayzlor; 02-17-2007 at 01:23 AM..
Old 02-17-2007, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Covers are up:

Amazing. 3 Titles I've wanted to so badly for so long. I'm so happy I'll finally be able to get Sansho.

Actually though, I probably won't buy Army Of Shadows. I might, but probably not. It's not the type of movie I'd be watching very often at all. Maybe for the special features though.
Quote:
Kobyashi's HC Trilogy i think is slated for early 2008.
Awesome. I've wanted to see these ever since I saw Harakiri.

Last edited by Powerslave; 02-17-2007 at 02:33 AM..
Old 02-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Criterion should just withdraw 120 bucks from my bank account right now. Sansho, Shadows, and Third Man are mine. I think I fell out of my chair when I saw Sansho as a Coming Soon release.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:20 PM
For us Canadian Criterion fans, Army Of Shadows and The Third Man will be N/A here in Canada - imports only (as there's no Canadian rights). Sucks, but what can you do.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:09 PM
I think those new releases look great. About 90% of their covers are works of art unto their own.

OopAnt
Old 02-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MisterChristian
For us Canadian Criterion fans, Army Of Shadows and The Third Man will be N/A here in Canada - imports only (as there's no Canadian rights). Sucks, but what can you do.
What exactly do you mean by this?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by scamp2005
What exactly do you mean by this?
I believe he means, the rights to the DVD release for those two titles are for U.S. only, therefore cannot be released in Canada, and so they will have to be purchased as imports. I'm not from Canada, so I guess that would limit to online purchase only, or stores that sell imports. So they won't be available at major retailers.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:45 AM
I love collecting Criterions, but why the hell do they gotta be 40 freakin dollars?!