Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2007, 01:05 AM
That's just retail price, I'm sure you could go to a store near you and get them for about $30...if not, just order them off www.dvdplanet.com for $25.97 (for the $40 releases), or $18.47 (for the $30 releases). Not too expensive at all when new releases these days are $19.99 with little to no supplements.

Also, keep in mind of the quality of the releases, something like Army of Shadows, a 1969 film from France, takes quite a bit to restore to a great quality (which no doubt it will be), and also a large amount of special features which I'm sure took time and money to attain. When you're releasing films which predominantly are between 20-60 years old, finding special features for those may be difficult. They don't have the luxury of filming making-of featurettes on their own, as studios do specifically for DVD with new releases. </rant>
Old 02-20-2007, 02:47 PM
Quote:
I love collecting Criterions, but why the hell do they gotta be 40 freakin dollars?!
Because they're Criterion. They make no excuses for their pricing. Besides, they are the inventor of "extras" (ahhh Criterion laserdisc memories).
Old 02-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Yeah...pretty much invented the idea of a "special edition" along with audio commentaries. Pioneers to say the least.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SamSanchez

And the Third Man re-issue:

Wow, really cool cover art. I'll probably be buying this even though my brother owns the first release.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:14 PM
AWESOME NEWS:

The Eclipse Series 3 has been announced:

Contains:
Early Spring
Tokyo Twilight
Equinox Flower
Late Autumn
The End of Summer

I'm INCREDIBLY amped for that release...not sure why it's not coming out until June though...no May release for Eclipse?
Old 02-24-2007, 01:26 AM
Looks like the Ozu set will be the first Eclipse I pick up.

Boy, I hope they do a set on Fellini, pulling up the final bunch of films that haven't been released by him yet.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dman476
Looks like the Ozu set will be the first Eclipse I pick up.

Boy, I hope they do a set on Fellini, pulling up the final bunch of films that haven't been released by him yet.
I've VERY much pulling for a Jean-Pierre Melville Series containing:
Les Enfants Terribles
Forgiven Sinner
Le Doulos
Second Breath

Or...just release some of the unreleased material by Robert Bresson or Luis Bunuel. Or an early Kurosawa box set would be awesome Drunken Angel, and all preceeding haven't been released in Region 1 at all. Although Kurosawa deserves Criterion treatment, I would not mind it on Eclipse.

I'm also looking forward to the already confirmed coming soon box sets of Mizoguchi, Naruse, and Raymond Bernard.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Although Kurosawa deserves Criterion treatment, I would not mind it on Eclipse.
I agree.

And that Melville set would be awesome.

Do you know if they're planning on releasing American films in Eclipse?
I don't know...maybe the ones still gone missing?
Old 02-24-2007, 01:02 PM
i think just for now, like the first maybe 6 Series or so, are just gonna be the three already announced, and then probably Naruse, Mizoguchi, and Raymond Bernard. They may sneak in some surprise in others in between though. But Id imagine they would release a lot of American stuff too. They've yet to release any series, or announce any, based on THEME. In the mission statement, they said Eclipse would be releasing forgotten or overshadowed titles of a certain director or of a certain theme. So I'm sure there's tons of material, foreign and American, that would be released.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Quote:
i think just for now, like the first maybe 6 Series or so, are just gonna be the three already announced, and then probably Naruse, Mizoguchi, and Raymond Bernard. They may sneak in some surprise in others in between though. But Id imagine they would release a lot of American stuff too. They've yet to release any series, or announce any, based on THEME. In the mission statement, they said Eclipse would be releasing forgotten or overshadowed titles of a certain director or of a certain theme. So I'm sure there's tons of material, foreign and American, that would be released.
That sounds awesome.

Thanks for giving me some hope for those great forgotten American films. I wonder what their first THEME series is going to be.
American Treasures of the 1930s?

I hope Criterion finally gets to releasing Shoeshine...those slackers.

I could buy the Masters of Cinema set, but I'd rather wait for the packed Criterion. When's it coming boys?

Have you heard anything about that Sam?
Old 02-24-2007, 02:07 PM
No. I haven't heard much about this being released. All I've heard is speculation that it could be released, but it's just that, nothing concrete really. I did just order my MoC copy of it this week, so that'll hold me over until a Criterion or Eclipse of it ever gets released.

Not a themed Eclipse, but I would like to see Early Soderbergh box set with Kafka, King of the Hill, and Underneath. Never seen any of those myself, but have wanted to check them out
Old 02-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Not a themed Eclipse, but I would like to see Early Soderbergh box set with Kafka, King of the Hill, and Underneath. Never seen any of those myself, but have wanted to check them out
Again, very true.

Please do tell how Shoeshine turns out.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Will do.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:30 AM
I was thinking, since Criterions owns the rights (I think) to both Jarmusch's "Permanent Vacation" and Van Sant's "Mala Noche" they could center a box around, say, 80's Amerindies but then I realized passing up on the revenue those two names would bring in from fullscale releases would be foolish.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:56 AM
I'll probably be buying that Ozu set, and I'll definitely buy a Mizoguchi set if they do indeed release one.

Ya know what I'd like to see from Eclipse, though? Orson Welles' Shakespeare, including: Macbeth, Othello, and Chimes At Midnight.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Possible Jim Jarmusch box set coming out? Hopefully it's Criterion, not eclipse, but either is fine. Night On Earth, Permanent Vacation, and Stranger Than Paradise are all "in the works" for being released by Criterion, and Night on Earth, for sure is being released this year, hopefully along with the others as a Box Set.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerslave
Ya know what I'd like to see from Eclipse, though? Orson Welles' Shakespeare, including: Macbeth, Othello, and Chimes At Midnight.
I am right there with you. That would fantastic. I would also like to see some late Godard or mid Godard after '68.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Whie mid-Godard would be nice with movies such as Number Two, Slow Motion, First Name Carmen, Passion, and Here and Elsewhere making a nice a package, I don't think a late-Godard would be too good. As a lot of the late Godard are either not really good at all, or already released by New Yorker, Wellspring, or other companies.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Possible Jim Jarmusch box set coming out? Hopefully it's Criterion, not eclipse, but either is fine. Night On Earth, Permanent Vacation, and Stranger Than Paradise are all "in the works" for being released by Criterion, and Night on Earth, for sure is being released this year, hopefully along with the others as a Box Set.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MisterChristian
Does that mean I can begin to get excited for that now?
Old 03-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Does that mean I can begin to get excited for that now?
Yes I don't believe there will be a box set. Also, Billy Wilder's Ace In The Hole is coming too...
Old 03-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Yes I don't believe there will be a box set. Also, Billy Wilder's Ace In The Hole is coming too...
About fucking time.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by HeavyFknMetal
About fucking time.
Amen.

I've really wanted to see Ace in the Hole for the longest time.
Thanks for the news MisterChristian.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Ace In The Hole will be on TCM later this month, for those of you interested.

I saw it a few months back, it's really quite good.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Yeah...I heard a couple days ago about Wilder's Ace in the Hole being confirmed along with a Max Ophuls Boxset and Ivan's Childhood also apparently confirmed for this year.

But VERY nice to hear that a Jim Jarmusch Box Set may be in the works...this year is already surpassed last year and continues to please me. And that's not even counting how nice Eclipse has been so far.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Criterion sale!

I saw this on Cheap Ass Gamer. DVDPlanet is having a big sale on their Criterion stuff. Combine that with one of these coupons and you can get some sweet deals:

MARCH2007 $5 OFF $50
PREMAR2007 $10 OFF $125
SPRINGCHICKEN $7 OFF $80

Here's what I picked up:
Seven Samurai $29.97
Yojimbo/Sanjuro $41.97
Spirit of the Beehive $23.97
Ikiru $23.97
King Kung Fu (stupid movie for fun, not Criterion but cheaper than Amazon still) $9.95

With the $10 PREMAR2007 coupon and free shipping I paid $128 bucks total. A lot cheaper than Amazon on all titles!

You guys should hop on this sale.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Yeah, I know something someone else doesn't know, I cannot say anything though. But I want them to know that I know!

So:
Signs will be left.

Every wink points to the right path.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I know something someone else doesn't know, I cannot say anything though. But I want them to know that I know!

So:
Signs will be left.

Every wink points to the right path.
LOL
Old 03-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Ace in the Hole confirmed even furthermore, this time in the Criterion newsletter:

Also, a confimration from Kim Hendrickson is Jean-Pierre Melville's Les Enfants Terribles scheduled for a July release this year.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Told you Ace In The Hole was coming
Old 03-16-2007, 12:11 AM
Sorry for doubting you..

Nice news!
Old 03-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Told you Ace In The Hole was coming
I had already heard about Ace in the Hole a couple days earlier...I'm not impressed
Old 03-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Also...AWESOME news if this is true, also confirmed for "late this summer"........Kurosawa's Drunken Angel

GREAT news...so OFFICIALLY announced (newsletter or website) for this year are:
Ace in the Hole (Billy Wilder)
Berlin Alexanderplatz (Rainer Werner Fassbinder)
Night on Earth (Jim Jarmusch)
Robinson Crusoe on Mars (Byron Haskin)
Salo: 120 of Sodom Re-Release (Pier Paolo Pasolini)
Under the Volcano (John Huston)

And confirmed by someone at Criterion for this year (which I believe is as good as officially confirmed, or at least fun to list):
Drunken Angel (Akira Kurosawa)
Les Enfants Terribles (Jean-Pierre Melville)
Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard)
Ivan's Childhood (Andrei Tarkovsky)
Max Ophuls Box Set (quoted for Late 2007 or Early 2008)
Mikio Naruse Box Set (Peter Becker was quoted some time last year that this was coming....could be the Eclipse release that has been spoken about though)
The Milky Way (Luis Bunuel)
Pierrot le fou (Jean-Luc Godard)

Possibilites for this year, if not at least for sure coming some time:
Jour se leve (Marcel Carne)
Human Condition Trilogy (quoted for Early 2008)
Permanent Vacation (Jim Jarmusch) (quoted as "in the works"...Mister Christian nearly confirmed it for this year, I hope)
Short Films of Martin Scorsese (quoted as "in the works")
Stranger Than Paradise (Jim Jarmusch) (see Permanent Vacation)

Assuming that the ones that I listed for 2007 all do in fact come out, that leaves only about 6-10 titles that at this point, would be surprises, at least to me. But if these are all true for this year, this year will continue to be great.

*EDIT* Delted If..., La Jete/Sans Soleil, and WR Mysteries of the Organism

Last edited by SamSanchez; 03-16-2007 at 02:11 PM..
Old 03-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Any news on Louis Malle's My Dinner with André. I thought this would be out in 07.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:06 PM
JUNE RELEASES ANNOUNCED!!!:

so only two surprises there...Sweet Movie and Two Of Us there...other three were certainties.

Not a bad a month, could be better, but If... and Sans Soleil/La Jetee alone are nice. Not too familiar with the other three though.

And about My Dinner With Andre, it is also rumored to be coming out this year, not a certainty though, as they have acquired the rights to it

*EDIT* After reading up on the other three, I would definitely be interested in picking up both Sweet Movie and the W.R. Mysteries of an Organism, both sound pretty damn intriguing. Two of Us also doesn't sound too bad. Could be turn out to be a better than expected.

Last edited by SamSanchez; 03-16-2007 at 01:53 PM..
Old 03-16-2007, 02:00 PM
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!1

ebLbdjbkfbjkbjdsbjpg'jfbJbdfjzbg;GNjzgjbn;kHBWUJV' SOWKHJFBjbjbjbibfsjrblzur'/;pojrujug890y['uvgp3u2 lufRGP33485Y[ARHJB CNKBJKN.,NMNBbjkgbnjfx,b

Criterion is releasing IF?

Funny thing this is mentioned

Also, Pierrot le fou is coming out?

Finally, Criterion has started releasing films I'm very excited about.
(Or maybe it's that I finally get to witness their release consciously)

I want to have babies with criterion.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Yeah, exactly. And if getting three out of five is of any indication how reliable that list I posted is, I'm very excited about damn near ALL of this releases except for maybe the Max Ophuls Box Set and Jour se leve.

If... is easily one of my more anticipated releases. My predictions for July releases are:
Les Enfants Terribles
Ace in the Hole
Ivan's Childhood

and possibly one more. As all three of been quoted as "coming in July", hah, some prediction there. Actually Ivan's Childhood was quoted "coming June or July"...June is elminated. If those are indeed the three releases for July, that is not a bad month, and adding a possible fourth wouldn't be too bad. Maybe the Salo re-release as the fourth?
Old 03-16-2007, 03:06 PM
No one does cover art for DVDs like Criterion. No one comes close. NO ONE. Those are just beautiful. I didn't like the logo change at first, but now I see what they have done with it and it's just amazing. Kudos to Criterion.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:41 PM
I cannot wait to give them my money, let alone watch the disks.

I'm currently catching up with the Renoir Stage & Spectacle Set and the Eisenstein and, I must say, it's fabulous to have these releases lingering on deck.

Anyone could skim through the Janus catalogue and the criterionforum.org forums and determine their immediate release schedule, what makes me so piss excited on these days is that they provide the cover art along with their annoucement. It makes me want to pledge my purchase loud and obnoxiously. But, you know, I'm never going to gather in funds in time to be watching these movies immediately after they are released. So, good for Criterion for extending the thousand movie pile back beyond where the bureacratic workers in Brazil and Ikiru cannot claim it and file it.

I have heard no one going shit crazy over the annoucement of "The Two of Us". Just reading the synopsis on their site has me immediately placing it in that noble lineage of Avoiding the Holocaust -- "These Jews will be Saved!". I'm not mocking those movies, it's just not what has you jumping around -- especially from a filmmaker who has barely a reputation. Here's hoping for the delicacies, nuances, life lessons, etc. that the good movies bring that the synopsis on the site could never think to contain.

That orange-like dot over the i is intentional.

For at least a year I have read W.R.'s title as "orgasm". Nice to know the movie at least contains some!
Old 03-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Yeah, exactly. And if getting three out of five is of any indication how reliable that list I posted is, I'm very excited about damn near ALL of this releases except for maybe the Max Ophuls Box Set and Jour se leve.

If... is easily one of my more anticipated releases. My predictions for July releases are:
Les Enfants Terribles
Ace in the Hole
Ivan's Childhood

and possibly one more. As all three of been quoted as "coming in July", hah, some prediction there. Actually Ivan's Childhood was quoted "coming June or July"...June is elminated. If those are indeed the three releases for July, that is not a bad month, and adding a possible fourth wouldn't be too bad. Maybe the Salo re-release as the fourth?
First off, I forgot to mention.
I can't wait for Jour se leve. You should check it too, because one of my friends saw it somehow and said it was brilliant, so I can't wait for that. And you're not an Ophuls fan?
I've not seen anyything by him yet, but I've heard great things as well.

I really can't wait for Ace in the Hole, and it'd be nice if they let that come out in time for my birthday in July.

From these current releases, I'l be buying La Jetee/Sans Solei, the Two of Us, and If....

I can't justify purchasing the other two, btu I will most certainly rent them.