Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dman476
First off, I forgot to mention.
I can't wait for Jour se leve. You should check it too, because one of my friends saw it somehow and said it was brilliant, so I can't wait for that. And you're not an Ophuls fan?
I've not seen anyything by him yet, but I've heard great things as well.

I really can't wait for Ace in the Hole, and it'd be nice if they let that come out in time for my birthday in July.

From these current releases, I'l be buying La Jetee/Sans Solei, the Two of Us, and If....

I can't justify purchasing the other two, btu I will most certainly rent them.
Actually, about the Max Ophuls and Jour se leve, to be fair, I have not seen any Max Ophuls or Jour se leve, but I guess I just haven't heard enough to have me completely excited for those releases. That isn't to say that I will not end up checking them out upon their release, but more to say that all the other releases that may be slated for this year have me incredibly amped by comparison
Old 03-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Definantly getting Ace in the Hole, La Jetee, and If...
Old 03-17-2007, 02:40 PM
A source who actually accurately said all these five films would be coming out for the releases of June several weeks ago (did not read until yesterday) also stated some other ones (I'm assuming for July, or at least HOPING):
These are what he said:
Les Infants Terribles (Jean-Pierre Melville)
Ace in the Hole (Billy Wilder)
Ivan's Childhood (Andrei Tarkovsky)
Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard)
Pierrot le fou (Jean-Luc Godard)

I'm not sure if he was implying that ALL five would be coming in July, as that would be back-to-back months with five releases. But, if I am to assume that, as the first three I've already confirmed on here also that will be July releases, I can only hope the two Godard will also be July releases. And if all are July releases....that tops May for best month so far.

Same guy also said that the Mikio Naruse box set, Max Ophuls Box, and Kobayashi's Human Condition trilogy will be released in December of this year and January of next year. Seems like quite a wait for those, but any further confirmation of the Naruse and Human Condition is welcome to me. So if there will indeed be a both a Criterion AND an Eclipse boxset of Naruse, that means about a minimum of 8 Naruse films will be released by that time...that is GREAT news.

Last edited by SamSanchez; 03-17-2007 at 02:44 PM..
Old 03-17-2007, 02:41 PM
double post
Old 03-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Here, I know a lot of you will be interested this, as I am. Here is a list of films under the Janus Films catalog (Janus Films is Criterion), not yet released under Criterion or Eclipse:

All These Women (Bergman; 1964)
Androcles and the Lion (Erksine; 1952)
Antonio Gaudi (Teshigara; 1984)
Autumn Afternoon (Ozu; 1962)
Bandits vs. Samurai Squadron (Gosha; 1978)
Beau Serge, La (Chabrol; 1958)
Black Moon (Malle; 1975)
Brothers and Sisters of the Toda Family (Ozu; 1941)
Confidentially Yours (Truffaut; 1983)
Cousins, Les (Cahbrol; 1959)
Cria Cuervos! (Saura; 1976)
Days of Youth (Ozu; 1929)
Death of a Cyclist (Bardem; 1955)
Devil's Eye (Bergman; 1960)
Dragnet Girl (Ozu; 1933)
Dreams (Bergman; 1955)
Drunken Angel (Kurosawa; 1948)
Earrings of Madame De... (Ophuls; 1953)
Fire Within (Malle; 1963)
Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice (Ozu; 1952)
Hen in the Wind (Ozu; 1948)
Hobson's Choice (Lean; 1954)
I Flunked, But (Ozu; 1930)
I Graduated, But (Ozu; 1929)
I Live In Fear (Kurosawa; 1955)
I Was Born, But (Ozu; 1932)
Inn at Tokyo (Ozu, 1935)
Intimate Lighting (Passer; 1969)
Kid For Two Farthings (Reed; 1955)
Lady and the Beard (Ozu; 1931)
Last Metro (Truffaut; 1980)
Lesson in Love (Bergman; 1954)
Life of Oharu (Mizoguchi; 1952)
Lovers (Malle; 1958)
Maedchen in Uniform (Sagan; 1931)
Magician (Bergman; 1958)
Major Barbara (Pascal; 1941)
Makioka Sisters (Ichikawa; 1983)
May Fools (Malle; 1990)
Mayerling (Litvak; 1936)
Miracle in Milan (De Sica; 1951)
Les Mistons (Truffaut; 1958)
Mother Should Be Loved (Ozu; 1934)
My Dinner With Andre (Malle; 1981)
New Tale of Zatoichi Part 3 (Tokuzo; 1963)
Only Son (Ozu; 1936)
Organizer (Monicelli; 1963)
Passing Fancy (Ozu; 1933)
Pearls of the Crown (Guitry; 1937)
Phantom Carraige (Sjostrom; 1921)
Pitfall (Teshigara; 1962)
Place de la Republique (Malle; 1974)
Proud Valley (Tennyson; 1940)
Record of a Tenement Gentleman (Ozu; 1947)
Rite (Bergman; 1969)
Le Ronde (Ophuls; 1950)
Sawdust and Tinsel (Bergman; 1953)
Seance on a Wet Afternoon (Forbes; 1964)
Secrets of Women (Bergman; 1952)
Sisters of Gion (Mizoguchi; 1936)
Soft Skin (Truffaut; 1964)
Story of a Cheat (Guitry; 1936)
Story of Last Chrysanthemums (Mizoguchi; 1939)
Straightforward Boy (Ozu; 1929)
Street of Shame (Mizoguchi; 1956)
Summer Interlude (Bergman; 1951)
Summer with Monika (Bergman; 1953)
That Night's Wife (Ozu; 1930)
There Was a Father (Ozu; 1942)
Three Outlaw Samurai (Goshal 1964)
Tokyo Chorus (Ozu; 1931)
Two English Girls (Truffaut; 1971)
Utamaro and His Five Women (Mizoguchi; 1946)
Victim (Dearden; 1961)
Walk Cheerfully (Ozu; 1930)
What Did the Lady Forget (Ozu; 1937)
Where Now Are the Dreams of Youth (Ozu; 1932)
Woman in the Dunes (Teshigahara; 1964)
Woman Next Door (Truffaut; 1981)
Woman of Tokyo (Ozu; 1933)
Zatoichi on the Road Part 5 (Yasuda; 1963)
Zatoichi The Fugitive Part 4 (Tanaka; 1963)
Zazie Dans Le Mtro (Malle; 1960)
Zero de Conduite (Vigo; 1933)

VERRRY nice to see TONS (23 to be exact) of Yasujiro Ozu in there. There's also a number of Bergman in there too. Some access to some nice Teshigahara and also Louis Malle. Some very nice titles in there that have so potential to be released by Criterion or Eclipse as they would be easily accessible for them to release. Also a number of Mizoguchi is great as well.

I'd imagine a number of those Ozu titles would be released as Early Ozu in Eclipse possibly as there are several 1930 titles in there.

Hope some people will be interested in that list

Last edited by SamSanchez; 03-17-2007 at 08:24 PM..
Old 03-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Hey SamSanchez, PM me and I'll tell you another one that's coming
Old 03-17-2007, 10:46 PM
Done Mister Christian
Old 03-17-2007, 11:57 PM
Boy Sam, you sure are on fire. Good job with all these updates.

And I'm gonna PM you too Mister Christian.
I know I'm not going to get results, but what if I beg and say pretty pretty please? It may be a title I've been waiting forever for (and mums the word).
Old 03-18-2007, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Boy Sam, you sure are on fire. Good job with all these updates.

And I'm gonna PM you too Mister Christian.
I know I'm not going to get results, but what if I beg and say pretty pretty please? It may be a title I've been waiting forever for (and mums the word).
No problem...I do what I can. I enjoyed reading some of that news so I'd thought you might as well
Old 03-18-2007, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by SamSanchez
I enjoyed reading some of that news so I'd thought you might as well
And you are certainly correct.
I really appreciate what you do here though for real...it's become my # 1 Criterion info resource.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:21 PM
SamSanchez - you have mail.

dman476 - tried to send you mail however your inbox is full. What title are you wondering about?

Last edited by MisterChristian; 03-18-2007 at 01:31 PM..
Old 03-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MisterChristian
SamSanchez - you have mail.

dman476 - tried to send you mail however your inbox is full. What title are you wondering about?
you've got replied mail good sir
Old 03-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MisterChristian
Thanks for trying to send Mister Chrstian!

I'll go clear it right away.

And title wise, I'm just curious if any unreleased Fellini, Malle, or Truffaut will be making the rounds soon (maybe it's my lucky day? ). Love those guys. Or is Criterion done with Fellini?

Also, one title I'm waiting for is Shoeshine by De Sica. That's something I really really want as well.

Thanks again Mister Christian.

Last edited by dman476; 03-18-2007 at 03:47 PM..
Old 03-18-2007, 03:52 PM
Well, from what I heard...My Dinner with Andre is a distinct possilibity, and as you can see from the Janus catalog I listed, Janus has the rights to quite a bit of Louis Malle films, along with quite a bit of Truffaut also. Confidentailly Yours and Last Metro were both Fox Lorber titles I believe that have gone out of print, and Janus has the rights to them, so I would imagine they would be in the works. I have no proof for that however.

As for Fellini, I have really not heard much of anything regarding any of his films being released, as unfortunate as that is. I would like to see The Clowns or Casanova or even Orchestra Rehearsal, but alas, I've heard nothing.

As for Shoeshine...I havent really heard much of Shoeshine coming out at all, I do however own the Masters of Cinema version if it and it's very nice. For De Sica though, I heard both Gold of Naples and Miracle in Milan MAY be in the works as Janus has new 35mm prints of both in circulation, so that may be in an indication of a future release for Criterion. More De Sica is always welcome

*EDIT* Forgot to get into specifics about My Dinner With Andre. What I heard specifically, was that I believe Matt Lipson, from Criterion, some time last year, stated that Criterion owns the rights and that it would be released some time "next year" (being this current year now).

Last edited by SamSanchez; 03-18-2007 at 03:59 PM..
Old 03-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Well, from what I heard...My Dinner with Andre is a distinct possilibity, and as you can see from the Janus catalog I listed, Janus has the rights to quite a bit of Louis Malle films, along with quite a bit of Truffaut also. Confidentailly Yours and Last Metro were both Fox Lorber titles I believe that have gone out of print, and Janus has the rights to them, so I would imagine they would be in the works. I have no proof for that however.

As for Fellini, I have really not heard much of anything regarding any of his films being released, as unfortunate as that is. I would like to see The Clowns or Casanova or even Orchestra Rehearsal, but alas, I've heard nothing.

As for Shoeshine...I havent really heard much of Shoeshine coming out at all, I do however own the Masters of Cinema version if it and it's very nice. For De Sica though, I heard both Gold of Naples and Miracle in Milan MAY be in the works as Janus has new 35mm prints of both in circulation, so that may be in an indication of a future release for Criterion. More De Sica is always welcome

*EDIT* Forgot to get into specifics about My Dinner With Andre. What I heard specifically, was that I believe Matt Lipson, from Criterion, some time last year, stated that Criterion owns the rights and that it would be released some time "next year" (being this current year now).
Wow. So I'm guessing Mister Christian didn't talk about those.
But anyway, thanks alot for the update Sam. Those mentioned Truffaut/Malle films I'm very interested in.
And glad you liked Shoeshine. Gives me hope. I really want to see it, and I'd spring for the MoC version, but I want a Criterion and it's R2 anyway (which I can play, but don't like too). It's also too much for 35$ to double dip on, for me anyway. And Mircale in Milan would be nice definitely. I would love both those titles (De Sica is always welcome, but I for some reason haven't even seen all the Criterion De Sica releases).

I was hoping for the Clowns, the Swindle, and Casanova to be released. It's not that Casanova is such a good film, but I'd like to have it out there when I plan on completing my Fellini collection.

Also, you should check out the current Orchestra Rehearsal dvd.
It's plenty good quality, but no extras. It's not one of Fellini's best either, but it's very funny and metaphorical. Unlike most anyhthing I've seen by him, so definitely check that out.

*crosses fingers for an 'Andre' release*

So, thanks for the info Sam.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:47 PM
No problem. I'll have to check out Orchestra Rehearsal, been a little hesitant to purchase it as I haven't really heard too much of it, but certainly will have to. I'll be sure to come here and let you know if I know anything about any future Fellini, Malle, or Truffaut releases, or any releases for that matter that I may hear speculation about.

And yes...none of that I posted was anything Mister Christian shared with me. Out of respect to him, I'll keep my word. Sorry dman, but at least you deduced on your own that it wasn't regarding Fellini, Malle or Truffaut, hah.

Last edited by SamSanchez; 03-18-2007 at 10:54 PM..
Old 03-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Yeah, thanks. I'll be waiting for your announcements.
And I don't really think Orchestra Rehearsal is a film that definitely must be owned (even though I do). Just Netflix it and see for yourself.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Image Entertainment Acquires Film Slate from Jeremy Thomas' Recorded Picture Company, Including ``The Last Emperor,'' Winner of 9 Academy Awards

MERRY CHRISTMAS MR. LAWRENCE, THE HIT and INSIGNIFICANCE also Acquired through Agreement

CHATSWORTH, Calif., Apr 11, 2007 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Image Entertainment, Inc. (NasdaqISK), a leading independent licensee, producer and distributor of home entertainment programming in North America, today announced the acquisition of The Last Emperor, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, The Hit and Insignificance, four Jeremy Thomas-produced films, through an exclusive North America license agreement with Recorded Picture Company's sales agent, UK-based dreamachine.

The agreement grants Image home video, digital and broadcast rights to each of the four titles. For home video, Image will release movie-only versions while Criterion, also distributed through Image, will release definitive special editions of the films as part of the renowned Criterion Collection. Criterion and dreamachine will work together to create new high-definition masters assuring film aficionados the highest quality possible. Broadcast availability, home video and digital distribution plans will be announced later in the year.

Director Bernardo Bertolucci's The Last Emperor won each of the nine Academy Awards for which it was nominated. Along with Best Picture, it won Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Best Cinematography, Best Costume Design, Best Director, Best Film Editing, Best Music, Original Score, Best Sound and Best Adapted Screenplay.

The 1987 film chronicles the life of Puyi, the last Emperor of China, played by John Lone, with Joan Chen, Peter O'Toole, Ruocheng Ying, Victor Wong, Dennis Dun, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Maggie Han, Ric Young, Vivian Wu, and Chen Kaige. It was the first motion picture filmed inside the walls of China's Forbidden City. The Last Emperor premiered theatrically on December 18, 1987, thus celebrating its 20th Anniversary at the end of this year.

Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, starring David Bowie, deals with the bonds between four men in a Japanese prisoner of war camp during the Second World War. The Hit, directed by Stephen Frears, features Terrence Stamp as a former gangster living under an alias in Spain. Insignificance, a drama/comedy directed by Nicolas Roeg, is a fictional account of the interactions of four iconic figures; Marilyn Monroe, Joseph McCarthy, Joe di Maggio and Albert Einstein.

"We are thrilled with this acquisition and look forward to developing and expanding this relationship. These films certainly enhance our library and heighten the profile of films Image will acquire and distribute in the future," stated David Borshell, Image's Chief Operating Officer
Old 04-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I read that last night....pretty nice to hear that about Last Emperor and Insignificance...should be nice. I'm not that familiar with Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence but it does sound pretty good.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Also...in other news...there should be a Yasujiro Ozu box set coming out some times this year on CRITERION. So also, in addition to the Eclipse, there will be more Ozu...that will be nice.

Here's a quote by a Donald Sosin, a silent film composer:
Quote:
"Criterion will release a box set of three Ozu films sometime in coming months (2007) with new scores I am doing: I WAS BORN BUT... (a particular favorite of mine) is one of them."
So I Was Born But... is the only confirmed of the three films. I'll look forward to that.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:52 PM
I like that there will be cheapy versions of all of them.

I'll probably buy the 'Emperor' as a Criterion and the others as the cheapy versions.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:25 PM
An update of my little Criterion Collection...

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...id=puckbond007
Old 04-16-2007, 09:29 PM
July titles

392. Three Films by Hiroshi Teshigahara SRP: $79.95

The existential ghost story Pitfall, the shocking erotic fable Woman in the Dunes, and the sci-fi–tinged nightmare The Face of Another are three of cinema’s most enduring enigmas and rare treats, from one of its greatest artists. A man of many faces, Hiroshi Teshigahara was not just a Japanese new wave trailblazer, a Kafka of the moving image, but also a painter, sculptor, flower arranger, designer of gardens and tearooms, and director of operas and Noh plays. And these three atmospheric portraits remain the quintessential expressions of his lifelong fascination with the perils of identity and the horrors of isolation.

SPECIAL FOUR-DISC SET FEATURES INCLUDE:

New, restored high-definition digital transfers

Video essays on all three films by critic and festival programmer James Quandt

Four short films by Hiroshi Teshigahara: Hokusai (1953), Ikebana (1956), Tokyo 1958 (1958), and Ako/White Morning (1963)

A new documentary about the working relationship beween Teshigahara and Kobo Abe, including interviews with Japanese-film scholars Donald Richie and Tadao Sato

PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by James Quandt, Howard Hampton, Audie Bock, and Peter Grilli and Max Tessier’s 1964 interview with Teshigahara

393. Pitfall

When a miner leaves his employers and treks out with his young son to become a migrant worker, he finds himself moving from one eerie landscape to another, intermittently followed (and photographed) by an enigmatic man in a clean, white suit, and eventually coming face to face with his inescapable destiny. Hiroshi Teshigahara’s debut feature and first collaboration with novelist Kôbô Abe, Pitfall is many things: a mysterious, unsettling ghost story, a portrait of human alienation, and a compellingly surreal critique of soulless industry, shot in elegant black-and-white.

394. The Face of Another

A staggering work of existential science fiction, The Face of Another dissects identity with the sure hand of a surgeon. Okuyama (Yojimbo’s Tatsuya Nakadai), after being burned and disfigured in an industrial accident and estranged from his family and friends, agrees to his psychiatrist’s radical new experiment: a face transplant, created from the mold of a stranger. As Okuyama is thus further alienated from the strange world around him, he finds himself giving in to his darker temptations. With unforgettable imagery, Teshigahara’s film explores both the limits and freedom in acquiring a newfound persona, and questions the notion of individuality itself.

395. Woman in the Dunes

One of the sixties' great international art-house sensations, Woman in the Dunes was for many the grand unveiling of the surreal, idiosyncratic worldview of Hiroshi Teshigahara. Eija Okada plays an entomologist who has left Tokyo to study an unclassified species of beetle that resides in a remote, vast desert; when he misses his bus back to civilization, he is persuaded by villagers to spend the night in the home of a young widow (Kiyoko Kishida) who lives in a hut at the bottom of a sand dune. What results is one of cinema’s most bristling, unnerving, and palpably erotic battles of the sexes, as well as a nightmarish depiction of everyday Sisyphean struggle, for which Teshigahara received an Academy Award nomination for Best Director.

396. Ivan's Childhood SRP: $29.95

The debut feature from the great Andrei Tarkovsky, Ivan’s Childhood is an evocative, poetic journey through the shadows and shards of one boy’s war-torn youth. Moving back and forth between the traumatic realities of WWII and the serene moments of family life before the conflict began, Tarkovsky’s film remains one of the most jarring and unforgettable depictions of the impact of violence on children in wartime.

New, restored high-definition digital transfer

Video appreciation of filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky and Ivan’s Childhood, featuring Vida T. Johnson, coauthor of The Films of Andrei Tarkovsky: A Visual Fugue New video interviews with cinematographer Vadim Yusov and actor Nikolai Burlyaev

New and improved English subtitle translation

PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Dina Iordanova and new translations, by Robert Bird, of "Between Two Films," Andrei Tarkovsky’s essay about Ivan’s Childhood, and "Ivan’s Willow," a poem by the director's father, Arseny Tarkovsky

397. Ace in the Hole SRP: $39.95

One of the most scathing indictments of American culture ever produced by a Hollywood filmmaker, Academy Award–winner Billy Wilder’s Ace in the Hole is legendary for both its cutting social critique and its status as a hard-to-find cult classic. Kirk Douglas gives the fiercest performance of his career as Chuck Tatum, an amoral newspaper reporter caught in dead-end Albuquerque who happens upon the story of a lifetime—and will do anything to ensure he gets the scoop. Wilder’s follow-up to Sunset Boulevard is an even darker vision, a no-holds-barred exposé that anticipated the rise of the American media circus.

Audio commentary by film scholar Neil Sinyard

Portrait of a "60% Perfect Man": Billy Wilder, a 1980 documentary featuring in-depth interviews with Wilder by film critic Michel Ciment

Excerpts from a 1986 appearance by Wilder at the American Film Institute

Excerpts from an audio interview with co-screenwriter Walter Newman

Theatrical trailer

PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by film critic Molly Haskell and filmmaker Guy Maddin

398. Les Enfants terribles SRP: $39.95

Writer Jean Cocteau and director Jean-Pierre Melville joined forces for this elegant adaptation of Cocteau’s immensely popular, wicked novel about the wholly unholy relationship between a teenage brother and sister. Elisabeth (a remarkable Nicole Stéphane) and Paul (Edouard Dermithe) close themselves off from the world by playing an increasingly intense series of mind games with the people who dare enter their clandestine world—until romance and jealousy intrude. Melville’s operatic camera movements and Cocteau’s perverse, poetic approach to character merge in Les enfants terribles to create one of French cinema's greatest, and most surprising, meetings of the minds.

Audio commentary by writer, film critic, and journalist Gilbert Adair

Interviews with producer Carole Weisweiller, actors Nicole Stéphane and Jacques eBrnard, and assistant director Claude Pinoteau

Around Jean Cocteau (2003), a short video by filmmaker discussing Cocteau and Melville's working relationship

Theatrical trailer

Gallery of behind-the-scenes stills

PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Gary Indiana and an excerpt from Rui Nogueira’s Melville on Melville

(artwork for all of these are gorgeous)
Old 04-16-2007, 09:40 PM
god damn that is an AWESOME month. I already own Pitfall and Face of Another on the Masters of CInema series, both GREAT movies. I also have Ivan's Childhood, but I would definitely not mind a Criterion of it. So I guesss the only surprise was the Teshigahara box set, and that is very welcomed.

Here are the cover arts in case you're interested:

Old 04-16-2007, 09:40 PM
EDIT: Sam beat me to it.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks for posting artwork. Like I said - GORGEOUS!!
Old 04-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks to all for posting this stuff.
It's a decent month, but I was expecting more.
I want to see all of that, but only midly.

I'll buy Ace in the Hole, and maybe Ivan's Childhood, but the others will be rentals.

P.S. Has it really been a month since the last announcement?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Thanks to all for posting this stuff.
It's a decent month, but I was expecting more.
I want to see all of that, but only midly.

I'll buy Ace in the Hole, and maybe Ivan's Childhood, but the others will be rentals.

P.S. Has it really been a month since the last announcement?
trust me, the Teshigahara box set is a MUST buy. Face of Another is great....similar to Eyes Without a Face (which is one of my favorites). Also, Pitfall is damn good, both HIGHLY recommended. I haven't seen Woman in the Dunes, but that is actually his most highly regarded of his films if I'm not mistaken, so I'm pretty psyched about that. This month and May are quite possibly the two I've amped for the most. Yeah, I say this every month, but this year has been amazing. The only "weak" month was probably January, but that still gave us Mouchette and the Yojimbo and Sanjuro re-releases, so that says a lot.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Quote:
trust me, the Teshigahara box set is a MUST buy. Face of Another is great....similar to Eyes Without a Face (which is one of my favorites). Also, Pitfall is damn good, both HIGHLY recommended. I haven't seen Woman in the Dunes, but that is actually his most highly regarded of his films if I'm not mistaken, so I'm pretty psyched about that. This month and May are quite possibly the two I've amped for the most. Yeah, I say this every month, but this year has been amazing. The only "weak" month was probably January, but that still gave us Mouchette and the Yojimbo and Sanjuro re-releases, so that says a lot.
This year has been pretty good, but the only two new Criterions I've bought where La Haine and Bicycle Thieves (though I've got around 5 preorders).

And I'll take your word for it, thanks Sam.
I'm not really that into Asian cinema, so maybe I'll start with Teshigahara.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:08 PM
I've actually bought every single release thus far this year to be honest. I've had a lot of extra money around, and whenever I noticed that it's availabe for pre-order, I give in. The only ones that I probably regret buying so quick is the Paul Robeson box set and Border Radio, other than that, I've been perfectly content with every other release this year (yes, including the Monsters and Madmen box set).
Old 04-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Who doesn't love the Monsters and Madmen set?
It's too much for me (I'd rather spend my money on something else I don't have), but damn if I don't want it.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:21 PM
dman; you should spring for The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection instead.

The newest newsletter just informed me that Tokyo Olympiad is going OOP. Everybody, buy now before it's too late! It's one of the prettiest movies I've seen!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Quote:
The newest newsletter just informed me that Tokyo Olympiad is going OOP. Everybody, buy now before it's too late! It's one of the prettiest movies I've seen!
Don't believe that's correct. I'll see if I can find out the scoop...

Usually they're hints at upcoming releases.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:45 PM
It does specifically say that Tokyo Olympiad is going out of print.

The picture hint was :

Apparently that refers to G.W. Pabst's Three Penny Opera
Old 04-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Ivan's Childhood and Ace in the Hole are must buys for me.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tayzlor
dman; you should spring for The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection instead.

Thanks, maybe I will Tayzlor.
And Tokyo Olympiad better not be going OOP.
I've been meaning to buy that (it's up there), even though I've never seen it, but if a re-release is planned then I'll wait for that.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Quote:
but if a re-release is planned then I'll wait for that.
I don't think so, because, surely they would have mentioned that along with.

That, and there's not much to improve.

Criterion namedropped another Ichikawa in there to get excited about .
Old 04-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Just confirming that Tokyo Olympiad *IS* going out of print...
Old 04-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Actually, it said it has ALREADY gone out of print, so I guess the urgency to go get it before stores pull them off their shelves, or sell them is a tad higher. I already own a copy, so I'm good.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:16 PM
Ace In The Hole will now be a 2-disc set

Also, Criterion unearthed an interview with Kirk Douglas from 1984 discussing his work on Ace In The Hole and shall also be included in the special features.