Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Finally official now, not a shock or anything as it had already been stated that this was coming, it's up now as the Series 4 of Eclipse:

http://www.criterion.com/eclipse/eclipse_4.asp

Raymond Bernard.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:44 PM
FINALLLY......BREATHLESS to be released on Criterion!

In the newsletter:

Not sure what the cat has to do with it, but that's definitely Breathless.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Old 05-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Yeah, its nice to have it finallly OFFICIALLY confirmed, as its been "confirmed" for some time now, closure via newsletter is nice. I imagine the cat is just a nod to the La Jetee/Sans Soleil release next month?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Waiting for confirmation actually...
Old 05-15-2007, 03:43 PM

not up for #402 yet, but its Luis Bunuel's Milky Way....AWESOME

#400 is not up yet....but i could probably bet that its Berlin Alexanderplatz. Not a bad month at all....a nice surprise with House of Games though

Last edited by SamSanchez; 05-15-2007 at 03:45 PM..
Old 05-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SamSanchez

THAT IS AMAZING.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Intriguing.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:58 PM
yeah, that one came out of left field to me, but still very welcomed and nice to see it get the treatment.

Not sure if theyll announce the #400 soon (as in this month) or if theyre reserving the spot for Berlin Alexanderplatz for a later month.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Nope
Old 05-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MisterChristian
Nope
Nope as in no 'Berlin' as #400, or as in no, they're not reserving it for a later month?

But yeah, those are some nifty films.
I'll probably be buying House of Games (great cover, huh?) and I'll rent the other two (3?).
Old 05-16-2007, 10:38 AM
#400 remains a mystery for now...

For Samuel Fuller fans:

Eclipse Series 5: The First Films Of Samuel Fuller

3-Disc Set

Quote:
His films have been called raw, outrageous, sensational, and daring. In four decades of directing, Samuel Fuller created a legendarily idiosyncratic oeuvre, examining U.S. history and mythmaking in westerns, film noirs, and war epics. And characteristically, it all began with a bang: after printing the legend with the elegant B-pictures I Shot Jesse James and The Baron of Arizona, he got himself into hot water with the FBI on The Steel Helmet, the first American movie to portray the Korean War. These three independent films showed off Fullerís genre diversity, gutter wit, and subversive force, and pointed the way to a controversial career in studio moviemaking.

Last edited by MisterChristian; 05-16-2007 at 10:46 AM..
Old 05-16-2007, 11:09 AM
That is AWESOME news....I've been waiting for some kind of release of those Fuller films, nice to see it on Eclipse.....good to hear.

Last edited by SamSanchez; 05-16-2007 at 12:46 PM..
Old 05-16-2007, 05:16 PM
I guess I now which my first Eclipse set is going to be.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Quote:

I'm in love with this artwork...very interested in seeing the movie as well, me and my roommate have made it a goal to see every Tarkovsky movie next September (when we get back to university and actually have access to the movies)...
Old 05-16-2007, 11:26 PM
I love that artwork too JCPhoenix
Old 05-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MisterChristian
#400 remains a mystery for now...

For Samuel Fuller fans:

Eclipse Series 5: The First Films Of Samuel Fuller

3-Disc Set
Thats is the best news I have heard in quite a long time. Fucking geeked for this set.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:13 AM
this whole year, except for maybe three or four releases, has been great news
Old 05-17-2007, 01:24 AM
Quote:
this whole year, except for maybe three or four releases, has been great news
This is quite true.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Is there any talk of Criterion getting Tarkovsky's Stalker? I've heard nothing but great things and am dying to see it, but I can't seem to find a region 1 release anywhere.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by therealjohng
Is there any talk of Criterion getting Tarkovsky's Stalker? I've heard nothing but great things and am dying to see it, but I can't seem to find a region 1 release anywhere.
If you don't mind ordering online, Amazon has it.

It's well worth it. Fantastic film.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Quote:
M-M-M-M-Mamet? C-C-C-Criterion?

*orgasms, then dies*
Old 05-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dman476
Who doesn't love the Monsters and Madmen set?
It's too much for me (I'd rather spend my money on something else I don't have), but damn if I don't want it.
I've rented two of the titles off of Netflix: FIRST MAN INTO SPACE and THE ATOMIC SUBMARINE. Dug the former, and the latter was okay, but as far as I've seen, I'd say rent the titles first before shelling out so much for the set.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by therealjohng
DeepDiscount.com has the Kino release for $21.16
Old 05-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Adam J. Hakari
I've rented two of the titles off of Netflix: FIRST MAN INTO SPACE and THE ATOMIC SUBMARINE. Dug the former, and the latter was okay, but as far as I've seen, I'd say rent the titles first before shelling out so much for the set.
Luckily, shortly after posting that, my desire to watch B-movies came to an abrupt end so I don't think I'll be renting unless the urge comes back, but thanks for the advice anyway.

And I haven't seen Stalker, I refuse to buy from the inferior Kino.
*waits for Criterion*

Guess the least I could do is netflix it, right?
Old 05-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dman476
Luckily, shortly after posting that, my desire to watch B-movies came to an abrupt end so I don't think I'll be renting unless the urge comes back, but thanks for the advice anyway.

And I haven't seen Stalker, I refuse to buy from the inferior Kino.
*waits for Criterion*
Don't hold your breath. While Kino is inferior to Criterion, I don't think there are much, if any, overlapping Criterion and Kino titles. I own plenty of Kino as well as they carry lots of great titles from a lot of the greats that Criterion don't have. Plus, Michael Haneke is great stuff as well. So yeah, special features and quality are subpar to Criterion, but there's still some great stuff there.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Kino isn't that bad...
Old 05-20-2007, 12:16 AM
Have you seen their dvds Tyler?

I mean, c'mon...I have a few of their titles and it's just bad.
The transfers (perhaps outside of the Keaton films) are awful, there are no good special features, the cases suck (sorry, had to put that down), and for most of their titles, they charge just as much as Criterion.

If that isn't a smack in the face, I don't know what is.

@ Sam: You're right, not many overlapping titles, which is unfortunate.
I would love to see Criterion take some of their films (like Scarlet Street or Metropolis...hell, maybe even Buster Keaton's better known films).

The one company that manages to even outshit Kino is Facets. That company is just like the worst dvd company in the history of dvds.
I have the Decalogue and Lemonade Joe from them and they are probably the worst quality dvds I have.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:17 AM
aside from the shit features on Kino, I really dont have much a problem with their transfers. Although, I hear Fritz Lang's Liliom's transfer is quite possibly the worst in DVD history. And as for price, I usually only buy Kino when DeepDiscount has a 60% off sale, so its not too bad.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:13 PM
In case anyone else noticed....Cria Cuervos and Milky Way were moved from #401 and #402 to #402 and #403, respectively, leaving now #400 blank as well as #401. So that leads to speculation that the two spots may either be a two film box set or at least connected in some way. Breathless and Pierrot le fou maybe? One could hope.

Last edited by SamSanchez; 05-28-2007 at 10:26 PM..
Old 05-31-2007, 02:29 AM
More news:

Apparently Pierrot le fou is a lot of further off than I thought, most likely not until late 08, at the EARLIEST.

On a more positive note....Last Year at Marienbad is opening in November by Rialto in theatres, so that means, most likely will see a release some time in 08 around fall.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:17 PM
Quote:
More news:

Apparently Pierrot le fou is a lot of further off than I thought, most likely not until late 08, at the EARLIEST.

On a more positive note....Last Year at Marienbad is opening in November by Rialto in theatres, so that means, most likely will see a release some time in 08 around fall.
That news is going to make me cry.

I don't want to wait till 08 (hey, that rhymes) for Pierret Le Fou and Marienbad.

Why?
Old 05-31-2007, 05:55 PM
Well this year is already packed with promised and confirmed releases:

Berlin Alexanderplatz (Rainier Werner Fassbinder)
Drunken Angel (Akria Kurosawa)
Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard)
Under the Volcano (John Huston)
Salo [RE-Release] (Pier Paolo Pasolini)
Robinsoe Crusoe On Mars (Byron Haskin)
Night on Earth (Jim Jarmusch)

The following are in the works, and could possibly be released this year, but were a little less precise as when they are coming, as opposed to the above releases where they were quoted as coming 2007:
My Dinner With Andre (Louis Malle)
Jour de Fete (Jacques Tati)
La Notte (Michelangelo Antonioni)
Last Emperor (Bernardo Bertolucci)
Le Jour Se Leve (Marcel Carne)
Permanent Vacation (Jim Jarmusch) <----Could possibly be released along with Night on Earth
Stranger Than Paradise (Jim Jarmusch) <---Same as above
Short Films of Martin Scorsese (Martin Scorsese)
Insignificance (Nicolas Roeg)
Miss Julie (Alf Sjoberg)
Mikio Naruse Box Set (Mikio Naruse)
Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence (Nagisa Oshima)
Max Ophuls Box Set (Max Ophuls)
Human Condition Trilogy (Masaki Kobayashi)
The Hit (Stephen Frears)

Possible Re-Issues of:
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Andrei Rublev
High and Low
Lady Vanishes
Shock Corridor

And I've also omitted several titles that Rialto could release, but there hasn't been any formal announcement about or titles that are distinct possibilties but there haven't been any formal announcements about either. So let's just hope somewhere in there, Last Year at Marienbad could be squeezed in
Old 05-31-2007, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Well this year is already packed with promised and confirmed releases:

Berlin Alexanderplatz (Rainier Werner Fassbinder)
Drunken Angel (Akria Kurosawa)
Under the Volcano (John Huston)

My Dinner With Andre (Louis Malle)
La Notte (Michelangelo Antonioni)
Last Emperor (Bernardo Bertolucci)
Le Jour Se Leve (Marcel Carne)
Short Films of Martin Scorsese (Martin Scorsese)
Miss Julie (Alf Sjoberg)
Max Ophuls Box Set (Max Ophuls)

Possible Re-Issues of:
Andrei Rublev
A great post once again.

If those came out in 2007, I would be a very happy man and forget all the pain caused by the delay in Pierret Le Fou and Marienbad.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:27 PM
Indeed....plus, they HAVE to leave some good releases for next year, or else next year will seem like a complete letdown compared to how amazing this year has been.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:32 PM
Quote:
All-fuckin'-right!!!!

Will I be so willing to part ways with my vintage VHS edition? The forecast calls for clear skies filled with "Yes."
Old 05-31-2007, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazy Boy
All-fuckin'-right!!!!

Will I be so willing to part ways with my vintage VHS edition? The forecast calls for clear skies filled with "Yes."

I'm also excited at the possibilty of it being released as a Jim Jarmusch Box Set . Night On Earth, Permanent Vacation, and Stranger Than Paradise....in one CRITERION set? I hope so. That's all speculation by me though, but I can hope.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Holy shit, it looks like Days of Heaven might get a Criterion release...

Old 06-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TylerDurden182
Holy shit, it looks like Days of Heaven might get a Criterion release...

Yep!
Old 06-07-2007, 12:11 AM

Wowee, is that even possible?