Old 07-20-2005, 11:58 AM
Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis in August

As usual, it sounds amazing. I can't wait to add this one to my Ellis collection.

Official site
Old 07-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Usually I cant s tand Ellis but this does sound interesting
Old 07-20-2005, 06:06 PM
ive only read American Psycho (which i loved) and this sounds very interesting and something ill definitely check out
Old 07-21-2005, 02:01 PM
im currently reading american psycho (which is amazing so far!), so I guess I'll be checking this one out soon too!
Old 09-02-2005, 03:59 PM
Ok the music on the site is ridiculously good.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm going to a reading of Lunar Park on September 16th, I can't wait.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:42 PM
one_crow_sorrow
Quote:
I'm going to a reading of Lunar Park on September 16th, I can't wait.
I'm so jealous. Where is this?
Old 09-04-2005, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Allie
one_crow_sorrow

I'm so jealous. Where is this?
At the Harbourfront Centre in Toronto.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm defientely going to be picking this one up.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:18 AM
I read it.

Crazy as usual.

It isn't long before characters from his past books, as well as his own Father, I mean he lives on Elsinore Lane for Christs sake, begin haunting the character Brett Easton Ellis.

And you just knew something was going to happen to that damn dog didn't yoou?
Old 01-16-2006, 07:00 AM
Lunar Park

I read LUNAR PARK a few weeks ago and I was impressed. In some ways, it could be considered Ellis' best book...but in other ways, it falls short of AMERICAN PSYCHO and, yes, GLAMORAMA (which I really liked).

Firstly, the reasons why it's Ellis' best:

Ellis has finally written a book which features characters with emotions and urges. The main character is a flawed peson who doesn't always do the right thing but who the reader has a strong emotional connection with. Like Garp in John Irving's THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP, Bret Easton Ellis (the main charcter is named after, and partially based on, Ellis himself) is a success in some ways, a failure in other ways, and always holds the readers attention. Ellis' previous books, though great, always featured paper-thin characters defined only by the brands they buy and the restaurants they visit - LUNAR PARK is light years ahead of Ellis' previous work, in terms of character development (displaying a range of feelings far beyond the 'greed and disgust' of his other work).

The first half of the book is original, creative and exciting. The lines between fiction and fact blur so much that I really don't know which parts are true and which are fake. I deliberately did not look it up on the internet because the illusion was exhilerating and I really don't want to know which parts were fiction.

***SLIGHT SPOILERS FROM THIS POIN ON***

I especially enjoyed the opening chapter. I love Ellis' no-holds-barred appraisal of his previous work. Again, I don't know if these are his REAL opinions - but, in the story, they are believable and that's all that matter to me.

Now for the downside:

In the last third of he book, it slips into the horror genre. But not in the best way. It's a little cliched and, as an avid horror reader, I felt that a lot of this ground had been worn thin by better horror writers. Ellis is at his best, in LUNAR PARK, when he is writing about being a writer - but when he tried to turn it into a horror story, my attention started to wander.

I don't think the last third of the book was bad - it just didn't live up to the exhilerating originality of the first two-thirds.

***END OF SPOILERS***

In short, I think LUNAR PARK is an excellent book. Some parts were better than others, but I never lost interest in it. It's a great insight into the mind of an unusual writer.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Sorry to bump an old topic, but I have been reading a lot of Ellis lately. I have read American Pyscho, Less Than Zero, and The Rules Of Attraction. I am thinking about picking up The Informers next. For the people who have read it, how does it stack up to his others?
Old 07-11-2006, 07:16 AM

The Informers is ok. I'm not really a big fan of it, but if you enjoyed Less than Zero, and Rules of Attraction you might want to go ahead and give it a read. The book is basically a collection of linked short stories, and follows the lives of interconected characters. How does it stack up against Ellis' other books? Well, it's probably my least favorite out of all of Ellis' books, but thats just me. Again, if you liked LTZ, and ROA, then I think it's probably worth checking into.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by screamer581
Sorry to bump an old topic, but I have been reading a lot of Ellis lately. I have read American Pyscho, Less Than Zero, and The Rules Of Attraction. I am thinking about picking up The Informers next. For the people who have read it, how does it stack up to his others?
It's an excellent collection of interconnected short stories. If you love short story collections in general, you should dig it. Sometimes Ellis can completely bum you out, not me, but friends of mine, they can only take so much of him so this is perfect. There's a story about a lady dying of cancer that is just completely heart breaking.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:38 PM
I've just read Lunar Park. It's awesome!

Very freaky though. Bret Easton Ellis is now officially on my 'People I love but never want to meet' list.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:00 AM
Nothing short of brilliant. The way he confronts and weaves his own mythology. And different from his other books.