Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2005, 12:16 AM
Alright, So I had this really great idea for a business venture w/ college textbooks

So, yeah, I was studying today )dammit) And it struck how much more INTERESTING these books could be. I mean, the material itself is gold - death, destruction, mayhem - whats not to like about history? (BTW, I was reading a history textbook, this would also work for english books, as well as some others) But the writing ITSELF was so stale and boring and sterile that I just cant get into it, and thus cant retain it. Obviously, Im not a history buff.

So my idea was to do something along the lines of those "Dummies" books. Basically take a notable author, one thats interested/knowledgeable in the material, pick a specific college text (most likely the most used one(s)) and have him/her REWRITE the textbook, as though it were FICTION.

Just think of Stephen King writing about the Holocaust, or Chuck Pahlahniuk writing about Slavery. Hot damn, right?! They would be fucking page turners, and, best of all, since theyre adapting a specific text, they would get all the same facts and points the original text gave.

So basically someone could assign a text, you go buy this rewrite, and bam - you learn what you need to and you have a good time doing it.

Now, onto the meat. HOW???? How would i even begin to start this? The only real snag I can think of (besides the authors, but we all know ALOT of major authors have outside interests, and would just love to get paid to write about them) would be the SPECIFIC texts. With there being so many different kinds, the library would need to be VAST to cover all the most popular texts. (Tho think about the vastness of those "Dummies" books now!) I know there are certainly 'more popular' texts given, especially for classes that are non-major courses, but they vary from school to school, and worse, from teacher to teacher. Thats a problem - especially just starting out.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Bueller?
Old 08-04-2005, 09:44 AM
Great idea. Let me know how it goes.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:13 PM
I think that it would be possible but the amount of actual truthful information you could put into a story whilst keeping the reader gripped would be low I think. In order to entertain people authors concentrate on character traits rather than facts. Have you got anything in America like the Horrible Histories books we get in the UK, they are meant for kids but I have to say they teach me things and you remember it because it's funny.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:29 AM
People already don't want to read as it is, and that's just the facts. I can imagine what happens when you try to add filler. Not a bad concept, I just don't think it would ever work.