Old 08-04-2005, 12:52 AM
Guts by Chuck Palahniuk(short story)

In case you don't know, Chuck Palahniuk is the same guy who wrote Fight Club(the book of course, not the script).

Guts is a short story by him, and it has a sort of cult status with people. It's easy to see why, since it really is quite the unique story. There are rumours about people fainting whenever he reads the story at gatherings.

Lucky for all of you, I have a link to the story in its entirety. I will warn you though, this stuff shouldn't be read if you are easy to squirm. Even some tough people had a hard time getting through this.

http://www.noops.org/guts.html
Old 08-04-2005, 11:26 AM
That was excruciating. I feel sick. Really. Chuck Palahiuk is a very bad man.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:52 PM
You know Psycho, you can stop reading it

The short is in his book Haunted if anyone is interested about picking that up(although this might deter them away from it!).
Old 08-04-2005, 04:07 PM
I loved Fight Club but I dont get what was so great about the short story. It was defintely gross but thats about it
Old 08-05-2005, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by someguy
The short is in his book Haunted if anyone is interested about picking that up(although this might deter them away from it!).
Once you've made it through Guts then you've made it through the worst. None of the other short stories come close to topping Guts.

Haunted is an okay book but I was pretty disappointed with it. After seeing Fight Club I've been dying to read something of Palahniuk's for a while, and Haunted is so far the first and only book of his I've read. And after reading Haunted I just haven't been too eager to pick up any of his other books.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:28 PM
I saw him read this at a bookstore awhile back and 7 people passed out during the reading. We tied venice Italy I believe in the amount of people blacking out during that story. I had read it before but when I heard him read it live my knees got weak and I felt sick to my stomach. Bless this story
Old 08-06-2005, 05:21 PM
I remember reading that two summers ago. Good stuff, if you like Palahniuk.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee
I saw him read this at a bookstore awhile back and 7 people passed out during the reading. We tied venice Italy I believe in the amount of people blacking out during that story. I had read it before but when I heard him read it live my knees got weak and I felt sick to my stomach. Bless this story
I actually find the story really funny. I heard an audio recording of him reading it at a bookstore, and his voice really made it funnier.

I'm surprised bowiee, I heard that a majority of the fainters are just Palahniuk fans faking it. I didn't know someone could actually become physically ill from it.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:28 PM
I actually heard this story a long time ago. I wasn't too shocked, considering I'm really descensitized. Then a friend told me about this story (after I'd forgotten about it), and he went on and on about how nausiating and shocking it was. Then I read it, remembered it, and laughed at my friend for his huge build up of it.

The real world contains much worse things than this story (which probably has some real-life equivalents itself).
Old 08-06-2005, 11:47 PM
This story is sick. Pretty disgusting, yet well written.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:50 AM
Two Words: Smurfin' Smurf.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:52 PM
aw, fucking hell. Is he trying to be Larry Clark or something?
Old 08-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Well, this story does teach us all an important life lesson:

If you ever have kids, don't buy them a pool.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:57 PM
I loved Fight Club (movie especially and the book) hence my favorite movie, but I just think his other work kinda blows. I mean, it just seems a lot ot the time he is just trying to be soooo overly gross that it becomes annoying. I am definitely up for some fucked up shit but a lot of this subject matter just turns me off.

A side note: In an interview with Rolling Stone this assclown stated that when he was in his mid twenties he dropped acid then headed to the local gym and started lighting weights that were beyond heavy. This made him break his coller bone and some other bones too. He said it was entertaining for him because everyone was just lookin at him in pure shock.
....ummm yeah, okay there buddy well um THANKS FOR FIGHT CLUB!!!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:13 PM
I like Diary.

As for Guts, I remember reading it awhile back but I don't remember exactly what I read. Thank god, because I recall I couldn't get through the story. This was after bemusement over the buildup on it.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:55 AM
well, i have yet to read fight club but Guts was well written, pretty fucked up but nothing more

i might check out some of his stuff
Old 08-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by someguy
I actually find the story really funny. I heard an audio recording of him reading it at a bookstore, and his voice really made it funnier.

I'm surprised bowiee, I heard that a majority of the fainters are just Palahniuk fans faking it. I didn't know someone could actually become physically ill from it.
I don't know how many were fake and real but one lady hit her head on a shelf going down and was hurt so at least thats one legitimate fainter.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:12 PM
bunch of friends and I attended a reading by Chuck in Toronto last month, second time we'd seen him for a reading. He read Guts and nobody fainted even though there were paramedics beside the stage. The guy sitting right in front of me though, his chair broke half way through and he fell on my feet, everyone thought he had fainted.

Palahniuk said that the three stories in guts happened to people he knew and are true stories, for the most part.

One of the things that inspired him to write Guts and the rest of the stories in Haunted was the short story The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. I had to read this myself in English class in grade 10. When it was first published it created a large controversy and some real hate from many of the people that read it. Chuck said he was interessted in what could cause that sort of reaction these days. He soon realized he had picked up alot of material from all the fucked up stories fans woudl tell him about "friends of theirs" to turn into a full novel.

IMO Chuck's a great guy, totally down to earth and willing to talk to anyone, he must have signed autographs that night for hours on end. It seemed like he wanted to meet everyone in the massive audience as much as they wanted to meet him, prob a little less though.

Everyone should def check out Choke and Survivor if they want to read a palahniuk novel. Not trying to be sexist but those of the female gender may enjoy Invisiable Monsters and Diary a little more. And lullaby's such a great premise, wish i could turn that into a movie.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by thedudeman69
aw, fucking hell. Is he trying to be Larry Clark or something?
You don't read much Chuck Palahniuk do you?
Old 08-20-2005, 04:59 PM
I posted this a while ago.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Definitely not Palahniuk at his best, but incredibly visceral nonetheless. With so much of us desensatized [sic] to today's violence and sex, you actually feel the sickening effects by reading this work. It's funny how powerful our literature medium still is. TV and movies have dominated the past 30 years...but there's still so much power in the written word. And in speech.

I love it.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Quote:
After seeing Fight Club I've been dying to read something of Palahniuk's for a while, and Haunted is so far the first and only book of his I've read. And after reading Haunted I just haven't been too eager to pick up any of his other books.
Haunted was decent, but dont be so quick to write off Palahniuk if you didn't like this one. My favorites are Fight Club (of course), Survivor, and Choke.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:19 PM
I read this on the boards awhile ago.... Good stuff, not as disgusting as people make it seem.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:43 PM
I own the book.

It's basically "yeah im gonna use fancy words and compare random stuff to random stuff and thank god it works cause everyone considers me a genius for it".
Old 10-31-2005, 09:25 AM
i think one thing with his books is that you either love it or u think it is crap....
i am a fan of chuck....
i have read all his books except invisible monsters....
if you see beyond the sex and violence, his books have a central storyline that explores certain aspects of our society...
i am not making him sound like a literature great or what, but i just feel that there are more to his stories...
it is probably unfair for him to be tied down by fight club...
fight club was mind-blowing... and it was his first book... so he really have some shoes to fill... and i think he did pretty well so far...