Old 09-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes

I'm not ashamed to admit that by the end of this book I was a quivering wreck of a human being. Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes is possibly the saddest book i've ever read. It's the story of Charlie Gordon, a mentally retarded adult who undergoes experimental surgery to remedy his state. The book is composed of Charlie's journals. This ingenious format allows Keyes to ably demonstrate Charlie's emotional and mental turmoil as his understanding of what he was, what he is, and what he will become hits home like a punch to the gut. Has anyone else read this? Did it have the same effect? Has anyone who has read it seen either of the adaptations; Charly (1968) and Flowers For Algernon (2001)? Seriously though. If you are looking for a thought provoking novel that will stir up some serious emotions look no further than this. It gets my highest recommendation.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:55 PM
No dobut Psychocandy, i read this book when i was in 6th or 7th grade and it was a very deep, enthralling read.

I completely forgot about this book until i read this thread. Man, i need to read it again!
Old 09-27-2006, 07:32 PM
I also read it around 7th grade and still haven't forgot about it. It had a great impact on me.

It is kind of like that movie with Robert Deniro and Robin Wiliiams.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:16 PM
I remember it having the same effect on me when I read it in 9th grade and then watched the movie, Charly afterwards as well. Both are very sad and moving and well done stories.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:21 PM
I've read it and seen both adaptions. Loved 'em all, though I felt Charly was a bit on the weak side. It really is a tearjerker of the truest form.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:31 PM
This book still has a place in my heart as a childhood literary emotional trauma alongside Charlottes Web. Both those books made me breakdown as a little bowieee.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:02 PM
it was a solid film too (for those unfamiliar, the movie is titled "Charly"). I think Cliff Robertson was fucking terrific in it.