Old 06-27-2013, 09:01 AM
The Lone Ranger

Native American warrior Tonto recounts the untold tales that transformed John Reid, a man of the law, into a legend of justice.

Starring: Johnny Depp, Armie Hammer, William Fichtner

Runtime: 149 minutes

The runtime of this film has me concerned but I plan on seeing it anyway. I'm hoping for a fun entertaining and action packed film.

It should also be noted that the film's budget is about 250 million bucks. I'm thinking that the Disney studio exes are holding their breathe (esp after John Carter's nightmare performance at the box office)

Last edited by echo_bravo; 06-27-2013 at 07:22 PM..
Old 06-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Will be skipping this in theaters, most likely. I'm only 26 but theaters backed with teenagers all ready infuriates me to no end.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:18 AM
It was a blast. Definitely did not seem that long. Good story that holds your interest.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Older poster? Release date is now July 3, 2013.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
Will be skipping this in theaters, most likely. I'm only 26 but theaters packed with teenagers all ready infuriates me to no end.
We saw it in the politest setting ever - even with kids and teens present - because Disney made a point to honor law enforcement at the advance screenings. We saw it with Sheriff Joe Arpaio and a bunch of other officers and detectives.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:07 PM
I'm looking forward to this, and I may be the only one. I really like the energy and weirdness Verbinski tends to bring to his films and I'm always up for a western.

I agree, the box office prospects will be interesting to watch unfold. I could see it going in any scenario. Depp + July 4th may be enough to make it a smash. On the other hand, the western motif and long running time may turn a lot of people away who choose Despicable Me 2 or a holdover instead.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSXJedi View Post
Older poster? Release date is now July 3, 2013.
nice catch haha. I went ahead and edited the poster with another pic.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:26 PM
I am having a lot of trouble getting excited for it, it just looks kind of bland. But, I do like Armie Hammer so I might wait for reviews before deciding, most likely will be a rental though.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:49 PM
This year it has been my goal to see every new movie that I want to see in the theater on the big screen. I thought I was in the minority about this film but apparently I anot. I too cannot get excited for it. Did "The Lone Ranger" really warrant a blockbuster film? Let alone a major release? The story is played out and the trailers are very week for a movie coming out this time of year.

However, Johnny Depp is in it so I'll more than likely be catching it anyways. Will report back here if I do. Jeez... I'm such a mush.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:27 PM
I think this looks really fun actually...we'll see if I have time to catch it in theaters.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Early reviews looking pretty bad already. You know something's down when the good reviews still use plenty of negative adjectives.

Last edited by creekin111; 07-01-2013 at 03:56 PM..
Old 07-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
Early reviews looking pretty bad already. You know something's down when the good reviews still use plenty of negative adjectives.
damn it you're right. Currently 31% at RT. I wasn't expecting greatness but at least something similarly entertaining to the first Pirates.

Oh well the good news is I'll be getting to see it for free on Wednesday
Old 07-01-2013, 06:07 PM
I'm shocked Tim Burton didn't direct this. I mean you've got Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter in yet another movie together, so it might as well have been Burton directing. It would be in line with what he's mostly been doing for the past decade.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Just looking at the runtime gives me a headache.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Very surprised to see such shitty reviews......granted I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but damn.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:55 PM
While these sell outs endorse Depp, blessing the red carpet and doing tribal dances at the premier, I'm glad some people are seeing Depp's portrayal of a Native American as offensive and filled with cliches. He's joining a long list of white people being Indian in cinema. Depp claims that he was told by family members that he has Native blood in him, but even he himself admits that it may not be true and he has no idea what tribe he would be connected to.

Anyway, I was hearing all this on NPR this morning. I like Depp, but he's making an ass of himself, IMO.

Yea, that's me. I'm the guy that scratches his head as to why they couldn't cast someone who's ethnicity actually fits the role. I don't like seeing white people with their eyes taped back, faces painted, dirt splashed on them, in hopes it makes them look Asian, Indian, etc...

Last edited by Preston_79; 07-02-2013 at 01:57 PM..
Old 07-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
Very surprised to see such shitty reviews......granted I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but damn.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:14 AM
Lets see what Mr. Blo has to say...

Yikes.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:42 AM
The Lone Ranger has a ton of problems. It's too long, tonally it's a bit of a mess, etc. But, in spite all it's problems, I enjoyed it. Enjoyed the chemistry between Depp and Hammer (even though Depp and the movie itself never has a good read on the character of Tonto), enjoyed all of the many great, big action set pieces and despite it being too long, the movie is never boring.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:25 AM
Exactly how long is this movie?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Pirates had and has something this one doesn't, a motivated and inspired Depp and large bodies of water ( those desert landscapes can't compete with liquid vistas ).

I think it should still do well , prob 200 and 400 , just on Depp's appeal alone in an action film, but this looks middling albeit entertaining, i just wish there was some water involved
Old 07-03-2013, 07:29 AM
Why are we comparing things that barely have a resemblance? The team on this one =/= the team on Pirates. Also (and this is ALL opinion) Depp is an excellent actor. Hes become more lax than he once was, but he's still far above par, and even further above par in our day and age.

The story (albeit somewhat 'realistic') isnt working here. The flick is try-hard. Ive lost myself in my own post. Its not a good movie, I cant defend it.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Is the Lone Ranger theme in this movie?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:28 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but damn, it is getting SMASHED. 25% on Rotten Tomatoes; that's worse than 'The Room'. And they marketed this thing like crazy. The last few movies I've went to they had a whole 'making of' commercial type thing in the mix with the trailers. It was actually pretty annoying. But jeez, I want to see if it really is so bad ...
Old 07-03-2013, 02:39 PM
The critical consensus is slightly above Wild Wild West. Damn.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Besides the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie I've yet to even slightly enjoy anything Gore Verbinkski has shat into the cinema. In my opinion only a masochist would go to see The Lone Ranger. That or Gore Verbinkski's mum and even then I would recommend he buy her some flowers afterwards to make it up to her.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Considering the bloat of Verbinski's Pirates films (particularly the sequels) and how it seems to be a continuing problem for this film; I think it's safe to say I'll be skipping this one.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
Is the Lone Ranger theme in this movie?
Yes it was. I thought they used it well during the action scenes.

Just got back from it and honestly I didnt think it was that bad. Granted I saw it for free (won free tickets in an office pool at work) so maybe thats why I had such low expectations. Could of been less cheesy though. If they would of taken a more serious tone in some parts instead of hamming it up then I'd give it a higher rating.

6/10

Last edited by echo_bravo; 07-21-2013 at 10:48 PM..
Old 07-06-2013, 10:40 AM
I didn't think it was all that bad either; though I wasn't expecting much. I have no idea how/why this thing cost $250 million to make though. The action sequences in the beginning and end looked expensive, but $250 million? Holy shit.

Spoiler:
I was wondering if the $65 million in silver in the train at the end of the movie was really $65 million in silver. That would explain part of it anyway.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Exactly how long is this movie?
Old 07-07-2013, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Yes it was. I thought they used it well during the action scenes.

Just got back from it and honestly I didnt think it was that bad. Granted I saw it for free (won free tickets in an office pool at work) so maybe thats why I had such low expectations. Could of been less cheesy though. If they would of taken a more serious tone in some parts instead of hamming it up then I'd give it a higher rating.

7/10
Lucky you. Pay and vote again.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Even with the shitty reviews...I thought it would make more than $30 million this weekend...jeeze.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Looks like Disney will only be calling Depp when it comes to pirate movies.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Is this movie like 3 hours long or something?
Old 07-08-2013, 02:53 AM
It's definitely bloated, but I enjoyed this more than almost any other live action tentpole this summer. It has texture, is appreciably weird, and blisfully cinematic. I love Verbinski's sensibilities and he and his team frame, compose, and execute widescreen western action and adventure that is clean and fun. Depp and Hammer are both enjoyable and have amusing buddy chemistry, and the supporting cast is filled with many strong character actors.

I can certainly see why some wouldn't like this, but I find the overall response to this baffling particularly considering how certain other films this summer were received. Whatever. I'm happy to be in the minority.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:07 AM
THE LONE RANGER

The Lone Ranger is definitely not the eye gouging travesty several critics have claimed it to be,but it's definitely
not highly memorable,but it is fun with some major faults.
When i go to see a film about a legendary heroic character i expect him to be just that....HEROIC!!
Sure some of The Ranger's (Armie Hammer) banter,bumbling and arguing with Tonto (Johnny Depp)
was amusing,but at times i felt it was overdone in the film,and unecessary scenes became more grating
as they popped up in and out of the film.
Fortunately the film looks great,an almost unrecognizeable William Fichtner portraying the sadistic
Butch Cavendish does well in his role.Tom Wilkinson is always a welcome presence,and Helena Bonham Carter's
Red Harrington is an interesting character but underused.

I enjoyed the action sequences but by the time the action packed railroad rally rolls onto the screen,i felt it was too little to late
So in the end TLR has its moments but most that you will be grateful you waited for cable or the DVD to see.

Scale of 1-10 a 7

Spoiler:
I couldnt help but laugh at the audiences dissapointment at the after initial credits scene that went nowhere.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Is this movie like 3 hours long or something?
Two and a half.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
It indeed blows.

2/10

This movie isn’t just bad, it’s EPICALLY bad. It’s like they intentionally tried to combine the films “Green Hornet” and “Wild Wild West” but somehow vowed to make it worse than either one. Who in their right mind at Disney ever thought that this was a good idea at any stage of development? I have to wonder if they added the idea of having the entire movie be told as a story by 1933 Tonto because that way they could have a cover or an excuse that everything seen is so very dumb because it’s coming from the mind of a senile and slightly retarded character. Honestly, this movie is as outrageously bad as anything I’ve seen in years. It packs little to no popcorn fun. Yet, it tries to pay off the budget with incredibly asinine explosions every once in a while. Depp’s Tonto kept saying that “something is seriously wrong with that horse” referring to the Silver, the superhero horse that appears out of nowhere every time the Lone Ranger needs saving. I say, “There’s something seriously wrong with this movie.”

The worst movie of the year I've paid to see BY FAR.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
It indeed blows.

2/10

The worst movie of the year I've paid to see BY FAR.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post
Two and a half.
Thanks. I think I will avoid it