Old 07-27-2008, 05:24 PM
I was a semi fan of the show and the last X-Files flick was interesting,but this one looked liked an extended,boring episode.I guess they thought the name alone would bring people to the theatre.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:00 AM
International box office courtesy of Variety:

Quote:
'Dark Knight' reigns overseas
Batman sequel earns more than next four films

By DAVE MCNARY

"The Dark Knight" dominated the international box office with $65.6 million at 7,143 playdates in 43 markets.

With its first European launches and impressive holdover biz pushing foreign cume to $126.3 million, "The Dark Knight" appears well on its way to becoming a massive blockbuster outside the United States. Combined with its record-setting domestic take, worldwide gross has already hit $440 million in a dozen days.

The Batpic sold 8.5 million tickets overseas and its offshore weekend total exceeded the combined grosses for the next four pics -- "Hancock," "Kung Fu Panda," "Mamma Mia" and "X-Files: I Want to Believe" -- even though Warner Bros. has held off launching "The Dark Knight" in many key markets. France, Germany, Japan, South Korea and Spain will see August openings.

"Hancock," "Panda" and "Mamma Mia!" all racked up solid holdovers while Fox's "X-Files" sequel duplicated its modest domestic launch with $9.3 million at 2,595 in 22 territories -- led by Russia with $2.3 million and Spain with $1.5 million. Per-location average for "I Want to Believe" was a moderate $3,576.

Early foreign performance for "The Dark Knight" represents a triumph for Warner Bros.' Batman franchise, which had seen respectable rather than spectacular overseas numbers with "Batman Begins" topping international cumes at $166 million. The studio noted that the "Knight" weekend number bested "Batman Begins" in the same territories by 156% and "Hancock" by 30%.

"The Dark Knight" led the way in the U.K. with $22.3 million and captured over 50% among the top five pics with four weeks of school holidays starting Monday. In Australia, it declined only 37% to $7.2 million for the third best soph sesh ever, trailing "Shrek 2" and the final "Lord of the Rings."

In Italy, "Knight" obliterated the competition with a $5 million launch that represented over 70% of the top five. And its $3.2 million in Brazil represented the third-best second frame ever for that market.

After a softer than usual June due to the Euro Cup soccer tourney, July's biz has helped pull overall overseas biz for the six major studios about even with same point with last year's pace. With "The Dark Knight" providing a major shot in the arm, the final 2008 number could match or even top last year's $9.5 billion record.

Sony's "Hancock" has been a key contributor with $294.6 million in less than a month, including $19.2 million at 7,563 this weekend with no new openings. And Paramount's "Kung Fu Panda" has become the second-leading foreign grosser this year with $305 million, including $17.8 million at 6,565 during the frame, second only to its "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" with $455.5 million.

Combined with domestic grosses, "Hancock" and "Panda" have now topped half-billion dollar mark in worldwide cume, becoming the 57th and 58th pics to do so.

And Universal's "Mamma Mia!" remains surprisingly tuneful with a $111.7 million foreign cume with the weekend seeing a decline of only 34% to $17.5 million at 2,390 in 22 holdover markets. The feel-good musical held well in the U.K. against the launch of "The Dark Knight," edging down 11% to $5.9 million for a Brit cume of $49.5 million -- U's fourth highest grosser of all time in Blighty.

With 35 more markets to open over the next three months, "Mamma Mia!" looks likely to nail down grosses in the same range as the $230 million overseas total for "Sex and the City."

Disney's "Wall-E," another pic still early in its foreign run, scooped up $8.9 million at 3,081 from 21 markets for a $70 million foreign cume. The Pixar toon heads into Benelux and France next weekend.

Sony opted to hold back "Step Brothers" from foreign markets and won't launch the comedy until Aug. 29 in the U.K.. in a reflection of the mixed prospects for many American laffers outside the United States.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:11 AM
it's def crossing a billion worldwide now , the overseas curse is broken

Now can it beat titanic's record of 1.8 bill worldwide , that may be a stretch , but who knows , it should at least take in about 250 more over here , and the way it looks now , it may make more overseas this time around , it would really have to go wild in order to reach that elusive number , it prob has a better chance to break the domestic record .

That is crazy , Hancock and Wall E have made over 500 mil worldwide , that's good because i want a Hancock sequel , it's a huge hit for Smith once again , although not exactly massive like Tdk , that number is nothing to sneeze at , same for Wall E .

MM , considering it's budget , is a massive hit , about 50 mil in the Uk alone ( of course Tdk will easily eclipse that number ) that is pretty damn impressive , 4th best all time ?

Then you have Indy , that one is around 800 mil worldwide , once again the foreign market is eclipsing the Na box office .

Absolutely crazy ass numbers all around , but too bad for X Files , poor Mulder and Scully

Hey , Tdk failed to break some records overseas , what's wrong , man it's slipping

I was thinking , what the hell is Hobbit going to do , with all these huge numbers coming in , that thing should go nuts . I know , i'm looking too far ahead , but it will no doubt make over a bill worldwide at this point . I hope it beats whatever Tdk finishes at , but that may be asking too much
Old 07-28-2008, 10:34 AM
The Hobbit will be huge , it will beat TDK here and abroad IMHO. Don't pity Mulder and Scully..they should have balked at this low budget affair. Coming off 10 years from the last movie and 6 years from the end of the series they HAD to know that they needed to go big with this movie. Instead Carter made a straight to dvd movie and put in in the theaters. I give it 2 more weeks tops and it will be gone from most theaters and within 2-3 months it will be on shelves all across America at your favorite store. Nice job killing off the X-Files Chris.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutheranwork View Post
The Hobbit will be huge , it will beat TDK here
Um... no. Not a chance in hell. The Dark Knight has a chance to make around $550 million. The highest grossing LOTR film was $377 million domestic. There's no way that The Hobbit will make nearly $200 million more than Return of the King. I can see it possibly beating TDK worldwide, but domestically, not a chance.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:51 PM
And Batman Begins made what in its domestic run? Did you think a few months back that there was a chance in hell TDK would make 350 million domestic let alone 550 or something like that? The Hobbit will be huge , just my opinion. I think it will do far better then the trilogy did here in the US. Maybe not more then TDK if it keeps going as nuts as it has been but it will be way up there and will beat it worldwide I have no doubt. Again just my opinion.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus1 View Post
And Batman Begins made what in its domestic run? Did you think a few months back that there was a chance in hell TDK would make 350 million domestic let alone 550 or something like that? The Hobbit will be huge , just my opinion. I think it will do far better then the trilogy did here in the US. Maybe not more then TDK if it keeps going as nuts as it has been but it will be way up there and will beat it worldwide I have no doubt. Again just my opinion.
I have always said that TDK would make $400+ million, for months and months and months. I knew it would be huge. I can't see The Hobbit doing better than Return of the King. By the time Return of the King came out the fan base had pretty much been completely established. Unlike Batman Begins, the fan base had dropped extensively with Batman & Robin, and the theatrical and DVD run of Batman Begins regained the fan base and then some, hence why TDK is doing so damn well. And The Hobbit is an entirely different story. Some of the same characters, but a very different story. Sure, you'll get most of the audience from Return of the King, maybe more, but even then you're only looking at about $400 million or so domestically. And then you take into account that it comes out in December, and Christmas holidays are only 2 weeks long. Unlike The Dark Knight which can make a killing during the Monday-Thursday periods all summer long, The Hobbit will only have two weeks to do that damage, and then its back to school/work where weekday sales are relatively tame.

You mark my words, The Hobbit will not do as well as The Dark Knight, and it will only do as well or a bit better than Return of the King domestically.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:01 PM
I agree with Bourne101 . . . I don't see The Hobbit making as much money as TDK. It'll do about the same as the other LOTR flicks, but I doubt it'll reach the $400 million mark. It might have a shot at the weekend opening record, that now belongs to The Dark Knight, but I don't think it'll match TDK's domestic total.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:01 PM
I guess there is no way to know for sure until it comes out. My opinion , same amount of theaters as Batman and 2010 dollars = same or close to same gross in USA as TDK. The Hobbit will be huge , huger then LOTR:ROTK. How many more fans do you think LOTR has gained since that trilogy came out and sold all those tickets and DVD's? No doubt TDK's box office is incredible though. I may be wrong but I think the buzz for The Hobbit will be gigantic. Especially world wide.

EDIT

Your right about the Christmas release angle , I didn't factor that into my thought process. I definitely see it doing a lot more business then ROTK but maybe I am thinking too large since its clear TDK will be close to 500 million.

Last edited by optimus1; 07-28-2008 at 02:07 PM..
Old 07-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Right now, I'm just curious to see if The Dark Knight will surpass Star Wars.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
It might have a shot at the weekend opening record, that now belongs to The Dark Knight,
The thing is, I think it is being released on a Wednesday (correct me if I'm wrong), so really, any chance of that is really thrown out the window. I'm not sure if it would even if it were released on a Friday, but if it is a Wednesday, it doesn't have a chance really.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Right now, I'm just curious to see if The Dark Knight will surpass Star Wars.
Not a doubt in my mind. Star Wars made $460 million domestically, and The Dark Knight will probably be at $400 million by the end of this weekend.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:17 PM
What pisses me off, and I might be wrong so correct me if I am, but they count Star Wars as one domestic total, even though it was released at two different times.

Hell, if you released any big budget movie 20 years apart and total that amount, of course it would be one of the biggest grossing movies of all time.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Fuck The Hobbit!
In fact fuck hobbits in general. Little annoying pissants.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
The thing is, I think it is being released on a Wednesday (correct me if I'm wrong), so really, any chance of that is really thrown out the window. I'm not sure if it would even if it were released on a Friday, but if it is a Wednesday, it doesn't have a chance really.
If that's true (I don't know . . . I don't know if a release date has been announced) then it won't break TDK's record.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Im really happy that an actually good movie is making so much money. Fuck Spiderman 3 and its big money
Old 07-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Maybe this will make WARNER and DC wake up and do more DC movies.

...and do them right! No more CATWOMAN bullshit!

Im dying for a good Green Lantern movie.

I honestly think thats one of the best comcis out atm. A movie done right by that character would be a real blockbuster to me.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooknasty View Post
What pisses me off, and I might be wrong so correct me if I am, but they count Star Wars as one domestic total, even though it was released at two different times.

Hell, if you released any big budget movie 20 years apart and total that amount, of course it would be one of the biggest grossing movies of all time.
hm... I didnt even think about that. I wonder if we will see any more big movies from the past re-released in theaters in the future. I hope so. I hope to see TDK again in theaters when I'm an old geyser.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Quote:
The Bo landscape has completely changed even from 5 years ago when Rotk was released , records are being broken all over the place now . A heavily hyped film can make a killing . This tells me , the marketing is more ubiquitous and aggressive , the internet is hyping these films ( more people discover the wonders of the internet everyday , not just here but worldwide ) , there are more people to actually watch these films , and ticket prices keep on rising , there is no reason to think Hobbit can't beat whatever Tdk finishes with , the anticipation level will be through the roof , wait until the first image appears , Tdk will be but a forgotten memory . Okay that's a bit drastic , but if you thought the hype for this was crazy , wait till you see the hype for Hobbit , it will be maddening , and i'll love every minute of it .

Batman films become dated because of the gadgets and tech present in the films , when you're dealing with a fantasy world like the one that was created by Pj , it never loses it's potency , the world is expansive and the narrative complex . Batman is a guy in a suit chasing yet another villain , it's still great but not as enduring as Lotr . No matter how hard Nolan has tried to make this world complex , it's still superficial , not so with the world that was created by Tolkien , you can deconstruct these films for years and you would still find something else to explore .

Now , i love both franchises , but for me , the Lotr universe is the one that's consistently rewarding no matter how many times i watch the films , there is always a sense of wonder , even the 20th time you watch either one of the films , and there are so many characters , themes , and subtext to appreciate every time . I don't get that feeling with batman , yeah , there is some pop psychology present here and there about sacrifice and doing the right thing , and about psychopaths terrorizing GC , but really it's light on the narrative side . There is only so much brooding i can take , and only so much sneering villainry i can stomach before i say iv'e had enough . I never get bored of the Lotr universe , there's so much going on , it makes the Bat films seem like a made for tv movie .

Now why do i say this , because i feel people will come out in droves to see the Hobbit , both films , but i think , since people are familiar with the first one , the buzz will be greater for the second film , which will be a totally originally story not found in the books . The Hobbit will be the warmup , and much like the Lotr trilogy , the buzz will only intensify for the sequel . So , let me correct myself , the sequel to the Hobbit will beat whatever Batman does , not the Hobbit .

I finally realized why Tdk has been holding up so well , and it all makes sense now , much like DMC , teen girls love it , and they were laughing at everything Ledger did . It's fitting too , and i should have seen it coming ( i said it would only make 330 mil a couple of months back ) , because i always felt like ledger's take on the Joker was that of a psychopathic emo , teen girls eat that stuff up . A bit fey , a bit androgynous , topped off with some homicidal tendencies , how couldn't they like it , it's fetishtic . He also exudes a sort of heroin chic that people are responding too . That's why i say , yes , it does have a chance to break 600 mil , because it's bringing in the teen girl crowd as a result of Ledger's Joker . Now of course , it's not just them , obviously it's appealing to a larger audience than that , but that is definitely pushing it over the top , much like Titanic was kept afloat so long because of the aforementioned demographic .

On another note , MM once again was pretty crowded for an early afternoon showing , but that crowd was almost the opposite , it was all people who seemed to be north of 50 , this thing is going to hang around awhile , but i always figured that . MM was even more crowded than Tdk , wait a second , no way is that an indication that MM may beat Tdk at least for one day . I'm sure it's because alot of retirees have some free time during the day , and the people who are going to see Tdk will go to a later showing .

Well , i just hope Mummy 3 can finally slow down Tdk , or maybe even take the top spot next weekend , too bad it doesn't feature the formerly mentioned psycho emo , it's going to be tough to unseat it , even in it's third weekend .

If it does , you'll never hear the end of it
Old 07-28-2008, 04:17 PM
The Mummy Returns opened to $68 million. Granted, that was seven years ago, but this still seems to be a popular series. Even if TDK drops only 40% this weekend, The Mummy 3 would only need an opening weekend of about $46 million to be #1. That doesn't seem like a daunting task.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:20 PM
I didn't know it opened with that much , maybe it can top it . I know it's silly , and if it doesn't , it doesn't matter , but i just want the hype machine to slow down , even though i've seen it 3 times already lol . I know what i'll be seeing next weekend though . Definitely the Mummy , because it does look like cheesy , guilty fun , and maybe Tdk just one more time , nothing beats the theater .
Old 07-28-2008, 04:34 PM

I don't know how anxious people are to see The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor; I don't think too many people liked the second one. The first was a surprise success, and the second one cashed in on that. I think this third will do well, but mostly from overseas box offices because of the Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh draws.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Dellamorte I agree with most of your Hobbit reasoning but I must admit whats going on with TDK is a very rare occurance. If The Hobbit breaks 400 million it will be a great success. If TDK doesn't do 500m it will be a semi letdown with how far its came already in such a fast time period. The movie is great too so its nice to see it cash in.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Um... no. Not a chance in hell. The Dark Knight has a chance to make around $550 million. The highest grossing LOTR film was $377 million domestic. There's no way that The Hobbit will make nearly $200 million more than Return of the King. I can see it possibly beating TDK worldwide, but domestically, not a chance.
I agree with Bourne. There all a whole lot people who don't get into fantasy films like LOTR. I don't see people going to rally around The Hobbit like Batman. There are just certain movies that come out where the stars align and people go see in mass and many will see more than once. I don't even see the next Batman coming close to The Dark Knight.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Fuck The Hobbit!
In fact fuck hobbits in general. Little annoying pissants.
Those are fighting words!

Hobbits are cool.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:24 PM
The only movies being released in August that I wish great success to are Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder (and Step Brothers for the rest of its run). Otherwise, I hope The Dark Knight continues to clean up and has minimal drops every weekend.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleysDad View Post
I agree with Bourne. There all a whole lot people who don't get into fantasy films like LOTR.
You could say the same thing about movies based on comic books.

Quote:
There are just certain movies that come out where the stars align and people go see in mass and many will see more than once..
The last 2 LOTR's film made over 2 BILLION dollars and that was when gas prices were hovering around $1.50 per gallon or so. I would say there is no question when The Hobbit comes out the stars will align once again. I dare say all the LOTR's movies would have made even more money if they weren't all 3 hours or more in length. The Hobbit is an almost guaranteed 400+ million domestic/1 billion+ worldwide movie.

Let me say again that I loved this Batman movie , but if Ledger doesn't die this movie would end up with maybe 375-400 million total and not the 500 million it may hit. The hype went through the roof when he died. Hell when he was first cast as the Joker there were a shitton of people who thought Nolan or whoever hired him was out of their minds.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Quote:
The last 2 LOTR's film made over 2 BILLION dollars and that was when gas prices were hovering around $1.50 per gallon or so. I would say there is no question when The Hobbit comes out the stars will align once again. I dare say all the LOTR's movies would have made even more money if they weren't all 3 hours or more in length. The Hobbit is an almost guaranteed 400+ million domestic/1 billion+ worldwide movie.
The $2 billion is worldwide; in the U.S., they made a combine $720 million (-ish) which isn't bad, but The Hobbit has a lot to live up to. Mind you, there's a different director for it this time around . . . a lot of LOTR fans may not appreciate it as much as Jackson's movies. I know Jackson's still producing, but there still may be a noticeable difference in style.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Quote:
The $2 billion is worldwide; in the U.S., they made a combine $720 million (-ish) which isn't bad, but The Hobbit has a lot to live up to. Mind you, there's a different director for it this time around . . . a lot of LOTR fans may not appreciate it as much as Jackson's movies. I know Jackson's still producing, but there still may be a noticeable difference in style.

All good points
Old 07-29-2008, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Batman films become dated because of the gadgets and tech present in the films
but some films more than overcome being dated by tech.

look at Star Wars. very dated technologies these days but I think the film still holds up quite nicely.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:12 AM
If anything i think The Hobbit is going to look alot cooler & more appealing (than the original lotr). I havn't read the hobbit, but it's lotr so i presume all sorts of creatures...which with Del Toro behind the scenes is going to look intense. That jolly bastard has the best creatures & creature effect's right now that i've seen in a very long time. As cool as Jacksons were, i really think Del Toro is gonna fly with this and give us something really outstanding. That with what's probably going to be a somehwat shorter(?) length i think will definatly bring crowds to this...let alone the good vibes from the current trilogy.

Last edited by rilocay; 07-30-2008 at 12:27 AM..
Old 07-29-2008, 12:46 PM
I do agree that ledger's passing intensified the hype for this , and i'm not stating that out of disrespect to his memory or the people involved in making the film , but seriously , like someone already mentioned , the anticipation level went into the stratosphere after his death , even though it was already extremely high to begin with , that unfortunate event pushed it way over the top with regards to the hype meter , but it was also the rumors surrounding his brill performance .

It is a bit naive to think that Hobbit can or will make more than whatever Tdk makes , at least domestically , it would have to break almost insurmountable records , then again , Dead Man's records seemed out of reach and that was only 2 or so years ago . I still feel the second film , the one that will bridge the gap between the Hobbit and Lotr will be the one that can do some serious damage and maybe break a few records . People will already be warmed up after Hobbit and anxiously awaiting the conclusion .

It is funny though , Tdk hasn't even finished it's run yet and we are already discussing the box office potential of two films that haven't even begun pre production , the next bat film and the Hobbit ( i'll start wearing the one ring around my neck once they officially start production , what a geek )
Old 07-29-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't think his death intensified the hype, it just brought more attention to the movie. Every news report reporting his death mentioned that he would be the Joker in The Dark Knight. I don't think that made anybody more excited to see the movie, but it did alert people to his "final" performance.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:06 PM
TDK made $11 million on Monday. Step Brothers made $5 million.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post

Batman films become dated because of the gadgets and tech present in the films , when you're dealing with a fantasy world like the one that was created by Pj , it never loses it's potency , the world is expansive and the narrative complex . Batman is a guy in a suit chasing yet another villain , it's still great but not as enduring as Lotr . No matter how hard Nolan has tried to make this world complex , it's still superficial , not so with the world that was created by Tolkien , you can deconstruct these films for years and you would still find something else to explore .

Now , i love both franchises , but for me , the Lotr universe is the one that's consistently rewarding no matter how many times i watch the films , there is always a sense of wonder , even the 20th time you watch either one of the films , and there are so many characters , themes , and subtext to appreciate every time . I don't get that feeling with batman , yeah , there is some pop psychology present here and there about sacrifice and doing the right thing , and about psychopaths terrorizing GC , but really it's light on the narrative side . There is only so much brooding i can take , and only so much sneering villainry i can stomach before i say iv'e had enough . I never get bored of the Lotr universe , there's so much going on , it makes the Bat films seem like a made for tv movie .

Well , i just hope Mummy 3 can finally slow down Tdk , or maybe even take the top spot next weekend , too bad it doesn't feature the formerly mentioned psycho emo , it's going to be tough to unseat it , even in it's third weekend .

If it does , you'll never hear the end of it
Double D you've been on this thing for awhile now. You like the LOTR universe better, and you think it's a more deep and involving movie going experience, fine, we get it.

I, personally, don't particularly agree with you. I enjoyed the movies as much as anyone, and Return of the King was a personal favorite for me, but, for me, LOTR just doesn't have much rewatch value (full disclosure: I've also read Watchmen only twice, as I don't think that book has a lot of reread value. Many people I know tell me I'm wrong.) Does this make me a bad person, or you a bad person? No, it just means our tastes are different. I don't mind the long epic narrative at all, I just prefer things to be a little more compact and for situation setups to be implied rather than shown, depending on what situation it is. In other words, I like my films to be "tight", no wasted motion, no unneccesary exposition, just hit the ground running and keep that pace throughout. Other people like different things, and that's cool.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:27 AM
When i was talking about the Hobbit, i meant it compared ot the LOTr trilogy...not bats, jst wanted to clarify that just incase . But in terms of the subjects, they are both on extremly popular characters and stroy's that defy any real sort of time frame. They can and will always be produced for a market, because they deal witht hings that will always apply to us as people and what we do in our lives.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soda View Post
Double D you've been on this thing for awhile now. You like the LOTR universe better, and you think it's a more deep and involving movie going experience, fine, we get it.

I, personally, don't particularly agree with you. I enjoyed the movies as much as anyone, and Return of the King was a personal favorite for me, but, for me, LOTR just doesn't have much rewatch value (full disclosure: I've also read Watchmen only twice, as I don't think that book has a lot of reread value. Many people I know tell me I'm wrong.) Does this make me a bad person, or you a bad person? No, it just means our tastes are different. I don't mind the long epic narrative at all, I just prefer things to be a little more compact and for situation setups to be implied rather than shown, depending on what situation it is. In other words, I like my films to be "tight", no wasted motion, no unneccesary exposition, just hit the ground running and keep that pace throughout. Other people like different things, and that's cool.

I like both franchises , for different reasons , all i'm saying is that , on a narrative level , the Lotr films are much more diverse than the world of Batman . It's a fairly myopic universe , all of the installments , not just Nolan's creations . It's basically batman chasing some villains around Gotham ( and Hk in this one ) . He has to deal with corrupt cops , the obligatory love interest , doubts about the need for his exploits , i think Nolan has done a terrific job in creating the illusion that the material is more epic and expansive than it really is . I feel he added the Hk / Lau subplot to give the film a false sense of an epic nature , when that 20 or so minutes could have been scrapped and the film wouldn't have suffered , now that's uneccessary action based exposition .

Every single scene in all the Lotr films was important and advanced the story , in this film i feel Nolan simply created scenarios simply to give Joker screen time or to set up another one of his exploits , that's contrivance , something that wasn't present in Lotr , the characters worked around and flowed naturally around the narrative . I wish all of them were 4 hours long , because there is even more to the story than what we saw in the theater .

Allright forget about that for now , it is a bit early to be predicting the Hobbit film's box office potential , and i don't want to go off on too long a tangent about it .

Is Tdk slipping , " only " 11 mil for Monday , uh oh . Will we finally see a single digit day . That has to be a record though , highest last week of July monday box office
Old 07-30-2008, 08:50 AM
If I want to take a nice, long nap, nothing works better than watching a LOTR movie.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:59 AM
They do have that effect at times , but it's only because iv'e seen them countless times . Overall , they still entertain me just as much as when i first saw them . Still waiting for the super extended edition that was rumored a couple of years ago , but that will probably be a blu ray offering .

Okay , i'm done with Lotr for now , what do you think Mummy is going to do ?

I think if it breaks 30 mil , it can be considered a success at this point .
Old 07-30-2008, 09:06 AM
I was just joshing you dd. I'm glad some people are excited about The Hobbit but it would be nice if we could keep the discussion here in 2008.