#401  
Old 04-30-2006, 08:53 PM
As for whether or not people will see the film again, I think that most who wanted to go and get it out of their system saw it this weekend and probably won't see it again. I liked the film a lot, but I can honestly say it won't get a repeat viewing from myself.

It still made 3 million less than its budget, so its success is guaranteed in the following weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #402  
Old 05-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Friday's Estimates:

1) MI3 - $17 million
2) RV - $2.8 million
3) Stick It - $1.9 million
4) An American Haunting - $1.9 million
5) United 93 - $1.5 million
6) Silent Hill - $1.2 million
7) Scary Movie 4 - $1.1 million
8) Hoot - $1 million
9) Akeelah and the Bee - $900,000
10) Ice Age: Meltdown - $900,000
Reply With Quote
  #403  
Old 05-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Looks like MI3 will end up with about 40 to 50 million this weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #404  
Old 05-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Bad for Mi3 it will make 50 mil this weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #405  
Old 05-06-2006, 11:40 AM
That really isn't that great of an opening for MI3, since it will have an uphill battle to make its budget back and then some. The second film had a 70 million opening (but, did that open on a Wednesday? I'm not sure). It could still make most of its money worldwide, though.

Last edited by Lazy Boy; 05-06-2006 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #406  
Old 05-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazy Boy
That really isn't that great of an opening for MI3, since it will have an uphill battle to make its budget back and then some. The second film had a 70 million opening (but, did that open on a Wednesday? I'm not sure). It could still make most of its money worldwide, though.
It did open on a weds, but this is a reason this film should have a big opening weekend. If Mi2 opened on a weds and manged 70 mil in 5 days. It didnt have a huge weekend because of weds and thurs, but Mi3 didnt have a weds and thurs so it was supposed to have a huge weekend and apparently its going to have a 50 mil opening weekend which is big, but not as big as was expected for Mi3.
Reply With Quote
  #407  
Old 05-06-2006, 11:53 AM
United 93 fell about 60% from last Friday. Like I thought, it didn't hold up, but there won't be much of a blow due to its overall budget. Universal won't be worried. I just think all the hype was very last weekend, and not a lot of people bothered to see it again.
Reply With Quote
  #408  
Old 05-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Im shocked about M I 3
Tickets were sold out at each theatre i went to last night.
Guess that doesnt mean much these days.
Reply With Quote
  #409  
Old 05-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anakinsrise
Im shocked about M I 3
Tickets were sold out at each theatre i went to last night.
Guess that doesnt mean much these days.
It did excellent in NY, but thats pretty much it (The PR in NY). It did good, not great in other theaters.
Reply With Quote
  #410  
Old 05-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Ignored in all of the MI3 talk is Hoot. It will end up as one of the worst wide openings in history, if not the worst. Anyone know for sure? If it ends up with $3 million over the weekend (and it might make a little more since it's a family film), that would mean a per theater average of around $995! It is playing in over 3,000 theaters. Yikes.
Reply With Quote
  #411  
Old 05-06-2006, 02:29 PM
I read that, too.

That's pretty awful.

I knew to stay away from that one with the incessant "from the studio that brought you Holes" ads being played up. No mas, senor.
Reply With Quote
  #412  
Old 05-06-2006, 08:06 PM
I think it's safe to say that Mission Impossible III will underperform this weekend. It'll probably open with a little over $50 million, and considering it's playing on over 4,000 screens, and it's the first M:I film in 6 years, that's pretty low.

I'm surprised.

Strider
Reply With Quote
  #413  
Old 05-07-2006, 12:50 PM
WEEKEND NUMBERS

Mission: Impossible III Par. $48,025,000 - 4,054 - $11,846
2 1 RV Sony $11,100,000 -32.4% 3,651 +12 $3,040 $31,006,000
3 N An American Haunting Free $6,380,000 - 1,668 - $3,824
4 3 Stick It BV $5,522,000 -48.9% 2,044 +6 $2,701 $17,977,000
5 2 United 93 Uni. $5,211,000 -54.6% 1,819 +24 $2,864 $20,056,000
6 7 Ice Age: The Meltdown Fox $4,000,000 -44.5% 2,426 -696 $1,648 $183,274,000
7 4 Silent Hill Sony $3,900,000 -58.2% 2,556 -376 $1,525 $40,805,000
8 5 Scary Movie 4 Dim. $3,763,000 -51.8% 2,537 -881 $1,483 $83,718,000
9 8 Akeelah and the Bee Lions $3,400,000 -43.4% 2,195 - $1,548 $10,663,000
10 N Hoot NL $3,400,000 - 3,018 - $1,126
11 6 The Sentinel Fox $3,000,000 -61.5% 2,343 -508 $1,280 $30,850,000
12 9 The Wild BV $2,577,000 -46.3% 1,930 -675 $1,335 $32,020,000
13 10 The Benchwarmers SonR $2,000,000 -54.4% 1,835 -860 $1,089 $55,602,000
14 12 Friends with Money SPC $1,122,000 -46.0% 643 -367 $1,744 $9,903,000
15 14 Thank You for Smoking FoxS $1,065,000 -40.1% 561 -173 $1,898 $20,014,000
16 11 Inside Man Uni. $840,000 -59.6% 750 -539 $1,120 $85,963,000

- 20 Hard Candy Lions $145,000 -52.4% 130 -22 $1,115 $717,000
- N Art School Confidential SPC $142,000 - 12 - $11,833 $142,000


Last edited by NightStalkerGtx; 05-07-2006 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #414  
Old 05-07-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm shocked MI3 didnt pull at least 50 million. that's got to be disappointing for Paramount.
Reply With Quote
  #415  
Old 05-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by EDsoulsurvive*
I'm shocked MI3 didnt pull at least 50 million. that's got to be disappointing for Paramount.
Yea it is dissapionting, and due to the competition it should only pull in about 130 mil total, so it wont make back its 150 mil budget in the states, but it will 100% make atleast 300 mil overseas, also before people start saying its Tom Cruise fault, remenber the 2nd one wasnt that welled recived thus some people will wait for dvd on this one. Its also been 5-6 years since the 2nd one and lately people are getting tired of mindless action, (XXX 2 The island, or Stealth)
Reply With Quote
  #416  
Old 05-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Mission Impossible might have legs this month, but with the major blockbusters of Posideion, The Da Vinci Code, and X-Men 3, I would be suprised to see that it holds up in the top 10 and might hit 100 millon or over.
Reply With Quote
  #417  
Old 05-07-2006, 04:13 PM
I was looking at the comparison between all three Mission Impossible movies:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdow...c&id=mi-vs.htm

MI:1 and 2 opened closer to the end of May, while this one opened May 5th. Doesn't make sense to me. I want to see the movie, as do a lot of Lost and Alias fans in my university, but we have finals til May 12th. I'm sure that a lot of people will check it out then. The target audience must be late teens, early 20s -- and school's not out for summer yet, at least in my area.

Seems like a stupid decision to pull the release date back when the other two were successful. It doesn't look like much of a difference (2 weeks), but when you have finals, movies are the last thing on your mind.

*back to studying*
Reply With Quote
  #418  
Old 05-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BakeTheMooCow
I was looking at the comparison between all three Mission Impossible movies:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdow...c&id=mi-vs.htm

MI:1 and 2 opened closer to the end of May, while this one opened May 5th. Doesn't make sense to me. I want to see the movie, as do a lot of Lost and Alias fans in my university, but we have finals til May 12th. I'm sure that a lot of people will check it out then. The target audience must be late teens, early 20s -- and school's not out for summer yet, at least in my area.

Seems like a stupid decision to pull the release date back when the other two were successful. It doesn't look like much of a difference (2 weeks), but when you have finals, movies are the last thing on your mind.

*back to studying*
If it opened at the end of may, it would have to compete agasint X men 3 and will prob do worse.
Reply With Quote
  #419  
Old 05-07-2006, 04:28 PM
MI3 will do okay against Poseidon, but will drop dramatically when Da Vinci Code comes out. That's my .02.
Reply With Quote
  #420  
Old 05-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BakeTheMooCow
I was looking at the comparison between all three Mission Impossible movies:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdow...c&id=mi-vs.htm

MI:1 and 2 opened closer to the end of May, while this one opened May 5th. Doesn't make sense to me. I want to see the movie, as do a lot of Lost and Alias fans in my university, but we have finals til May 12th. I'm sure that a lot of people will check it out then. The target audience must be late teens, early 20s -- and school's not out for summer yet, at least in my area.

Seems like a stupid decision to pull the release date back when the other two were successful. It doesn't look like much of a difference (2 weeks), but when you have finals, movies are the last thing on your mind.

*back to studying*
This was my case also, I really wanted to go see it this weekend, but this upcoming week I have finals, and I need to write a 10pg essay due tuesday. Glad to hear I'm not the only one and I agree, Early May is not a good time still because many folks are still in school and don't have the time yet to see it.
Reply With Quote
  #421  
Old 05-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Thats why I believe people are wrong in saying its a dissapointing opening. Too many factors arent being weighed

Reasons:

1. Like you said, school is still in session as compared to the last one
2. The last one was SIX years ago before this sequel...there was only a difference of 4 years between number 1 and 2

3. We didnt have a shitty economy like we do now and we werent at war


..and another "little" reason.. GASOLINE wasnt edging to $4.00 a GALLON! In 2000 it was about $1.50 MAJOR IMPACT.

1st M.I opened with about $43 mil

2nd with about $57

This one at about $48 mil with the above mentioned factors. Theres no failure at all here...except if one always thinks something should always outproduce the previous movie.. It should still hit about $180..mayyyybe 198 mil domestic... and add the worldwide B.O.. and Cruise and the franchise remain superstars.
Reply With Quote
  #422  
Old 05-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Joshmo
Thats why I believe people are wrong in saying its a dissapointing opening. Too many factors arent being weighed

Reasons:

1. Like you said, school is still in session as compared to the last one
2. The last one was SIX years ago before this sequel...there was only a difference of 4 years between number 1 and 2

3. We didnt have a shitty economy like we do now and we werent at war


..and another "little" reason.. GASOLINE wasnt edging to $4.00 a GALLON! In 2000 it was about $1.50 MAJOR IMPACT.

1st M.I opened with about $43 mil

2nd with about $57

This one at about $48 mil with the above mentioned factors. Theres no failure at all here...except if one always thinks something should always outproduce the previous movie.. It should still hit about $180..mayyyybe 198 mil domestic... and add the worldwide B.O.. and Cruise and the franchise remain superstars.
100% agree
Reply With Quote
  #423  
Old 05-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AngelDust06
100% agree
I want MI 3 to make a lot of money, but 180 mil is out of the question, next week it will have a decent hold, but after that its not going to go any further due to the da vinci code, and X men 3 hurting it by taking away large portions of its audiance, thus the highest its going to get is 130, this is not batman begins folks, this isnt summer, it doesnt have as great as a wom batman did, while wom aint bad its just not BIG, and theres a lot of competition.
Reply With Quote
  #424  
Old 05-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Joshmo
Thats why I believe people are wrong in saying its a dissapointing opening. Too many factors arent being weighed

Reasons:

1. Like you said, school is still in session as compared to the last one
2. The last one was SIX years ago before this sequel...there was only a difference of 4 years between number 1 and 2

3. We didnt have a shitty economy like we do now and we werent at war


..and another "little" reason.. GASOLINE wasnt edging to $4.00 a GALLON! In 2000 it was about $1.50 MAJOR IMPACT.

1st M.I opened with about $43 mil

2nd with about $57

This one at about $48 mil with the above mentioned factors. Theres no failure at all here...except if one always thinks something should always outproduce the previous movie.. It should still hit about $180..mayyyybe 198 mil domestic... and add the worldwide B.O.. and Cruise and the franchise remain superstars.
It is a disappointment. That is a fact. You have to factor in P&A, Cruise's money and the cut for theaters. It is going to have to do huge overseas business and probably won't make any money until it hits DVD. You have to realize that $350 million in international box office still doesn't put this movie in the black. Cruise and his production company get a big cut (I believe he didn't take a salary and instead took a percentage), theaters get a cut and they spent a shitload on P&A. The opening is a disappointment. Oh, and it won't hit $180 million. No chance. Event movies don't make four times their opening anymore. We're looking at $150 million.

Last edited by MadsenOMC; 05-07-2006 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #425  
Old 05-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Agreed with the above. Plus, take out the inflation of prices, and the weekend gross for MI3 would still be less than the other two, would it not?
Reply With Quote
  #426  
Old 05-08-2006, 08:52 PM
I kind of had a feeling this would have a dissapointing opening. Here are the reasons:

#1.All of the bad press surrounding Cruise and scientology (having the Cinderella Man effect passed from Crowe to Cruise)

#2. 3rd films are VERY rarely as sucessful as the first two

#3.Becuase of the huge success of the second installment, many probably feel it can't rise any higher than that

#4.Limited marketing lead to limited knowledge of the film or its plot leading to limited interest

#5.It's not summer yet....
Reply With Quote
  #427  
Old 05-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Daily Box Office (U.S.)
Wed May 10, 2006 Archived Charts:

Mission: Impossible III
Daily Gross : $2,783,719
Cumulative Gross :$57,263,154
Reply With Quote
  #428  
Old 05-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Well according to crowd reports from last night which the best shows ONLY AVG 30-40 people and most of them AVG 15-20, and also yahoo review tracking doesnt seem good at all, this movie is headed for a SUB 20 MIL OPENING.

TERRIBLE, EVEN I WENT TO HIGH WITH MY 31 MIL PREDICTION

P.S- Mission Impossible 3 had an increase on thursday and since Posiedon isnt performing well, MI3 looks to be #1 this week again, even if it has a 50-55% drop, which it prob wont. Look for a 45% drop.

Last edited by NightStalkerGtx; 05-12-2006 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #429  
Old 05-12-2006, 02:52 PM
I think Poseidon is going to outperform the tracking (would hardly be the first time this has happened). I don't believe that it opens to $20 million or less. Will not happen.
Reply With Quote
  #430  
Old 05-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadsenOMC
I think Poseidon is going to outperform the tracking (would hardly be the first time this has happened). I don't believe that it opens to $20 million or less. Will not happen.
We will just have to wait and see...
Reply With Quote
  #431  
Old 05-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Reminds me of The Day After Tomorrow. That one did much better than it was expected to, especially its first weekend. It had a trailer with effective money shots. Poseidon does as well. Neither one really has a big name cast, but surely Kurt Russell and Josh Lucas are just as recognizable names as Dennis Quaid and Jake Gyllenhaal (no Oscar nomination at the time). I don't think Poseidon will make as much as Day After Tomorrow, but it has to make more than the tracking suggests.
Reply With Quote
  #432  
Old 05-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadsenOMC
Reminds me of The Day After Tomorrow. That one did much better than it was expected to, especially its first weekend. It had a trailer with effective money shots. Poseidon does as well. Neither one really has a big name cast, but surely Kurt Russell and Josh Lucas are just as recognizable names as Dennis Quaid and Jake Gyllenhaal (no Oscar nomination at the time). I don't think Poseidon will make as much as Day After Tomorrow, but it has to make more than the tracking suggests.
Well The Day After Tomorrow was very close to tracking, and who knows poseidon can be the next XXX2.
Reply With Quote
  #433  
Old 05-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by NightStalkerGtx
Well The Day After Tomorrow was very close to tracking, and who knows poseidon can be the next XXX2.
Or, The Island (I doubt it will be THAT low).

Although I don't know how well that one was tracking...
Reply With Quote
  #434  
Old 05-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by NightStalkerGtx
Well The Day After Tomorrow was very close to tracking, and who knows poseidon can be the next XXX2.
Are you sure about that? I don't think tracking indicated that it was going to open anywhere close to $68 million. That opening was a pretty big surprise to people.
Reply With Quote
  #435  
Old 05-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Not that big, but it showed that it was headed for 50+ mil and Poseidon is doing 3 x worse then MI3 in tracking, and i really cant see Poseidon breaking out and MI3 not.
Reply With Quote
  #436  
Old 05-13-2006, 09:59 AM
World of KJ has this at a 6-7.5 mil friday. If it gets 7.5 mil it might be able to cross 20 mil all depends on how the sat increase is, but overall as i predicted, Poseidon is going to be #2 this weekend and MI3 will be #1. Posiedon might win friday, but it will lose sat and sunday.
Reply With Quote
  #437  
Old 05-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Friday Est (from Show Biz)

1. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 3 - MI3 PARAMOUNT 4,059 7,588,000 1,869 n/a 67,646,000
2. POSEIDON WARNER BROS. 3,555 7,193,000 2,023 n/a 7,193,000
3. RV SONY 3,536 2,332,000 660 n/a 35,643,000
4. JUST MY LUCK 20TH CENTURY FOX 2,541 1,989,000 783 n/a 1,989,000
5. AMERICAN HAUNTING, AN FREESTYLE 1,703 1,230,000 722 n/a 8,554,000
6. STICK IT BUENA VISTA 2,009 1,130,000 562 n/a 20,086,000
7. UNITED 93 UNIVERSAL 1,870 1,000,000 535 n/a 23,013,000
8. SILENT HILL SONY 1,888 650,000 344 n/a 42,908,000
9. GOAL!: THE DREAM BEGINS 20TH CENTURY FOX 1,007 635,000 631 n/a 635,000
10. ICE AGE 2: THE MELTDOWN 20TH CENTURY FOX 1,879 625,000 333 n/a 184,861,000

Posiedon is a flop!!!! MI3 is on top again.
Reply With Quote
  #438  
Old 05-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Poseiden is now on the bottom of the ocean, and there is no way to escape.

What a dissapointment. I still look forward to seeing it and I think I will like it but 7 million, on pace for only 21 million. That is a bomb and a half.
Reply With Quote
  #439  
Old 05-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Look for the requisite "Poseidon sinks at the box office" headlines come Monday...
Reply With Quote
  #440  
Old 05-13-2006, 04:40 PM
I don't think [b]DAT[/b[ was above expectations really. I remember some absurd $300+ million predictions for it. Not that it didn't do good, of course.

Awful for Poseidon, that's what WB gets for dumping a $160 million film into 3,500+ theaters with zero marketing. Decent for MI:3, maybe it can pull a 3 multiplier now.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump