Old 08-10-2008, 01:45 PM
The Dark Knight will easily beat Star Wars making it the second highest grossing film of all time.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Donnie Darko, apparently its not only the fanboys who enjoy the Dark Knight, seeing how its made 441 million. Casual moviegoers are seeing it multiple times. My parents dont go to movies that often, and they have seen it twice. Lets not get in to how many times I have seen it.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
The Dark Knight will easily beat Star Wars making it the second highest grossing film of all time.
agreed..

Jig Saw, it seems you are completely loaded with badass Joker avatars
Old 08-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Just fanboys?
Old 08-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Well the movie Donnie Darko wasn't that good, but does have a cult following. Not sure why you would name your screenname after a sub-par movie. Kind of funny if you think about it though, you are saying fanboys, but with your screenname, you are one too, of another movie, but still. Another topic though for another day.

The Dark Knight was a great movie. I know many people who are not even fans of the series and they loved the movie. It wasn't an oridinary comic book movie, it was much deeper. That is the main reason it has connected with people. It is about this one man trying to stop crime, and now he has help, but like anyone that tries to prevent crime with help, people have to turn and some die.

I will say The Dark Knight will finish with around $520 million.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie_Darko View Post
At this point, I'd be happy to see Disaster Movie knock TDK off the top spot. This is getting ridiculous. It's NOT THAT GOOD!! Goddamn fanboys!
Wanna know what's not that good? Your avatar and "Donnie Darko". You're also a fanboy, you hypocrite, so STFU.

... Kidding
Old 08-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyro_44 View Post
No they are updated estimates.

Here's the Top 10 from Nielsen EDI:

1 THE DARK KNIGHT 26.03
2 PINEAPPLE EXPRESS 22.40
3 THE MUMMY:TOMB OF THE DRAGON EMPEROR 16.11
4 SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS 2 10.77
5 STEP BROTHERS 8.90
6 MAMMA MIA! 8.08
7 JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH 4.86
8 HANCOCK 3.30
9 SWING VOTE 3.11
10 WALL-E 3.04
Great for TDK, bring on the $500 million mark! Pineapple Express is doing very well and is already a massive success. It will cruise past $100 million. The Mummy dropped pretty hard, but is kicking ass overseas. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants will end up doing a bit better than the first, but not much better. Step Brothers is doing very well and will cross the $100 million mark soon.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Quote:
At this point, I'd be happy to see Disaster Movie knock TDK off the top spot. This is getting ridiculous. It's NOT THAT GOOD!! Goddamn fanboys!

Then again, look at the competition it's getting... Pineapple Express? Mummy 17? Step Brothers? Sisterhood 2? Mama Mia? I guess it is true, that every other studio is putting shit out against it, and just staying away for a while. Even next week is garbage. Mirrors is the only good looking flick, and even with that, I'm apprehensive.

Maybe this TDK phenomena is akin to dangling shiny noisy keys in front of a baby to make it happy and giggle?
What are you talking about? You think the studios put weaker competition against TDK? TDK was not supposed to destroy all like this or gross over $400. Nor it this the time of year that stuidos put out their best and highest grossing films either. I am sorry to tell you, but people are seeing TDK, because it is a good fucking movie. My 59 year old mom thought it was the best movie she has seen in years. This is a woman who only goes to 5 movies a year and went because of all the great word of mouth. TDK rules! Deal with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
It's gonna be damn close, but I see TDK edging out Express by a million or two. It will all depend on how much of an increase Express has on Saturday. Either way, Pineapple Express is going to be a massive success and will make well over $100 million.
I like you Bourne. You usually have really smart things to say. You need to learn to admit when you are wrong. PE lost out on being #1 when it came out on a Wed. This is a stoner movie also with a following of the makers. It is not going to make anywhere near $100 million. $80 TOPS. The Olympics did hurt the weekend figures as well as kids gearing up for school, just like every other year. This weekend is off 25% from last week, which is about the same as ever year. PE would have had that $35 or so million you predicted if it came out on a Friday.

And TDK will hit $500 easier than I thought, but still maintain that $600 is a pipedream, but hey who knows.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Then again, look at the competition it's getting... Pineapple Express? Mummy 17? Step Brothers? Sisterhood 2? Mama Mia? I guess it is true, that every other studio is putting shit out against it, and just staying away for a while. Even next week is garbage. Mirrors is the only good looking flick, and even with that, I'm apprehensive.
If Pineapple Express had not been released on Wednesday, it would have taken the top spot EASILY. Step Brothers is doing very well, and opened well, but how it was nearly impossible for it to top it because it was TDK's second weekend after opening to the $158 million. And all of those movies that you mentioned have all received pretty solid reviews, save for The Mummy. So no, studios are not putting shit out against it, there are many films out now doing extremely well, TDK is just a massive hit with a massive appeal and people are seeing it over and over again.

And Mirrors looks pretty terrible. Tropic Thunder looks great, is getting good reviews, and will undoubtedly take the #1 spot next weekend, even with the Wednesday release.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:50 PM
I saw we all pay for TDK and see other movies like Tropic Thunder. Help the cause.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Anyone know the tracking for Tropic Thunder and Star Wars: Clone Wars?

BTW, it's nice to see that the first film to stay on top for four straight weeks since ROTK is actually deserving of the honor.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleysDad View Post
I like you Bourne. You usually have really smart things to say. You need to learn to admit when you are wrong. PE lost out on being #1 when it came out on a Wed. This is a stoner movie also with a following of the makers. It is not going to make anywhere near $100 million. $80 TOPS. The Olympics did hurt the weekend figures as well as kids gearing up for school, just like every other year. This weekend is off 25% from last week, which is about the same as ever year. PE would have had that $35 or so million you predicted if it came out on a Friday.
No, just... no. First of all, I always said it would be close, and it was. It will make $100 million WITH EASE. If you don't think it will you are simply WRONG. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Have you learned anything from the minimal drops of 40 Year Old Virgin and Superbad with late August releases?

Again, it's crossing $100 million with EASE.

Quote:
And TDK will hit $500 easier than I thought, but still maintain that $600 is a pipedream, but hey who knows.
Yeah, just like Pineapple Express is going to cross $100 million easier than you think.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbunn10 View Post
agreed..

Jig Saw, it seems you are completely loaded with badass Joker avatars
I have dozens...
Old 08-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Quote:
I saw we all pay for TDK and see other movies like Tropic Thunder. Help the cause.
Id rather pay for Tropic Thunder and go see Tropic Tunder.

Its not like TDK "needs help" to do anything. Its already made a shit load of money.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Quote:
At this point, I'd be happy to see Disaster Movie knock TDK off the top spot. This is getting ridiculous.
You take that back.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodeurnumber1 View Post
You take that back.
Seconded. Thems fightin' words!
Old 08-10-2008, 03:18 PM
I fear for Tropic Thunder opening on Wed
Old 08-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Way too early to say Pineapple is a lock for $100 million.

I suspect, and its behavior so far indicates it will be more frontloaded than those other Apatow productions you mentioned.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:40 PM
It will cross $100 million, no doubt about it.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Take into account that if Pineapple Express has 50% drops every weekend and weekday period it will have $85 million. And there is no way that it is dropping 50% every weekend from now on and every Monday-Thursday period from now on. It's just not happening. $100 million AT LEAST.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Tropic Thunder is coming after a shitload of big comedies, though. Then again, TDK opened that huge in front of immense competition.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:45 PM
so if tdk makes 500 mil sometime after next weekend what is its final number likly to be? i bet a buddy $50 it would make 600 mil so im not really worried about it im just curious what my chances are
Old 08-10-2008, 04:56 PM
lol this new Star Wars film is no threat to TDK whatsoever.

Animation-wise, It's incredibly cheap-looking, almost on Hoodwinked-levels. (it originally was a TV-movie, they only put it on the big-screen becuase it has the Star Wars name attached) It's redundant as well, considering they just wrapped up Anakin's storyline a few years back, and now suddenly decide to go backwards and explore it again. The commericals also make it seem chidlish, ("I want to prove im not too young to be a padawn!" Burping Java, "Anakin Skywalker is the Republic's ONLY HOPE.") which will detract the adult audience that the other films get. With other big films out there, who's going to waste their time with a cheaply produced direct-to-TV movie on the big-screen?

The only people who will see Clone Wars are the really big diehard Star Wars fans. That's it. This movie will tank.

HOWEVER, Tropic Thunder will probably be the movie to take TDK out of
no. 1. TDK has been no.1 for four weeks now, so just about everyone has seen it by now. Tropic Thunder has had a lot of buzz/hype surrounding it. Plus, it has a very big cast of bankable actors.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:06 PM
TDK will have the #2 spot by next week, no doubt. It just keeps on truckin'.

As well it should.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:00 PM
TDK is doing fantastic..that said it was at least a half hour to 40 mins too long and not nearly deserving of being the 2nd best selling movie of all time. If Ledger is still alive , its sitting around 350 million right now JMHO is all..

ps not that Titanic deserves to be the all time best seller either
Old 08-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lyrik View Post
Tropic Thunder is coming after a shitload of big comedies, though. Then again, TDK opened that huge in front of immense competition.

What competition ?
Old 08-11-2008, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
What competition ?

The X-Files you ninny
Old 08-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
What competition ?
Hellboy 2?

I guess.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
Hellboy 2?

I guess.
None of the films i thought would affect it's box office barely made whimper . Allright , a couple of them gave it a bit of a run but really it was clear sailing for the most part .
Old 08-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Comingsoon.net Predictions

1. Tropic Thunder (DreamWorks) - $29.8 million N/A

2. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Warner Bros.) - $22.6 million N/A

3. The Dark Knight (Warner Bros.) - $15.0 million -42%

4. Pineapple Express (Sony) - $11.5 million -51%

5. Mirrors (20th Century Fox) - $10.3 million N/A

6. The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (Universal) - $7.6 million -54%

7. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 (Warner Bros.) - $6.5 million -40%

8. Mamma Mia! (Universal) - $5.1 million -38%

9. Step Brothers (Sony) - $4.9 million -45%

10. Journey to the Center of the Earth (New Line) - $3.1 million -35%
Old 08-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Comingsoon.net Predictions

1. Tropic Thunder (DreamWorks) - $29.8 million N/A

2. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Warner Bros.) - $22.6 million N/A

3. The Dark Knight (Warner Bros.) - $15.0 million -42%

4. Pineapple Express (Sony) - $11.5 million -51%

5. Mirrors (20th Century Fox) - $10.3 million N/A

6. The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (Universal) - $7.6 million -54%

7. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 (Warner Bros.) - $6.5 million -40%

8. Mamma Mia! (Universal) - $5.1 million -38%

9. Step Brothers (Sony) - $4.9 million -45%

10. Journey to the Center of the Earth (New Line) - $3.1 million -35%
Those look about right, although I don't think TDK will drop that much or that CW will make that much.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:55 PM
CW couldnt have cost jack to make so its a win situation no matter what.

Isnt this just the first 4 episodes crammed together?
Old 08-12-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure what CW is, but it doesn't look anything close to how good the shorts were on Cartoon Network. Lucas always seems to find a way to get my money, but this one is really stretching things.

In other news, I think that TDK's Monday drop was pretty impressive. It dropped to 3.75 mill for monday, which is a far better showing than I was predicting (closer to a 30% drop than 50%). Why is this significant? Because it might be the start of a more gentle drops phase for the movie. Movies like Mamma Mia and Journey to the Center of the Earth have clocked in some very impressive weekly drop percetages, and, if TDK is going to cross 500 million, it needs to start doing the same.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soda View Post
if TDK is going to cross 500 million
It's not a question of if, it's a question of when.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Seriouly, I can't believe that some of you doubt TDK will make 500 million. It's been out for less than a month and it's almost at 450 million. This movie is going to hang around until October. I mean seriously, do you think everyone is going the stop seeing it or something? I'd expect small drops from here on out, the only real big thing other than Tropic Thunder that I see coming up is Eagle Eye, and that isn't out until the end of September. TDK is not going to stall anywhere short of 500 million, if anything, you should be wondering if it's going to hit 550-600 million or not.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soda View Post
I'm not sure what CW is, but it doesn't look anything close to how good the shorts were on Cartoon Network. Lucas always seems to find a way to get my money, but this one is really stretching things.

In other news, I think that TDK's Monday drop was pretty impressive. It dropped to 3.75 mill for monday, which is a far better showing than I was predicting (closer to a 30% drop than 50%). Why is this significant? Because it might be the start of a more gentle drops phase for the movie. Movies like Mamma Mia and Journey to the Center of the Earth have clocked in some very impressive weekly drop percetages, and, if TDK is going to cross 500 million, it needs to start doing the same.
True, but its drop is still smaller than that of other giant openers. I think it will reach 500M by Labor Day (at the latest). How far it goes after that remains to be seen.

BTW, I think it's highly possible that Journey to the Center of the Earth could outgross Mummy 3. While I have no interest in Jouney as a film, its staying power bodes well for other 3D films, including AVATAR.

Isn't it about time for JoBlo or one of his underlings to update the examples listed under the UPCOMING RELEASES link. Indy 4 and TDK have already come out. Surely there are other things that could be added.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Quote:
It's not a question of if, it's a question of when.
It had to fight for No.1 last week though.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeman69 View Post
It had to fight for No.1 last week though.
dudeman, fuck off.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Quote:
dudeman, fuck off.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Apparently, Tropic Thunder made around $8 million on Wednesday. I think this actually isn't a bad thing. I don't expect it will be front-loaded like Pineapple Express. I expect it will make around 5-6 million on Thursday, and then work its way back up to $8-10 million on Friday, with a minor increase on Saturday. All in all, I expect it will make about the same that Pineapple did over its first 5 days.