Old 10-03-2009, 03:12 PM
But isn't this only like the second or third time a documentary has gotten a wide release?
Old 10-03-2009, 03:23 PM
i think most people feel a Documentary isnt big screen fodder... but i really dont see that as meaning that people are tired of Moores films or what not... his films always get great reviews, he is a master of his craft. Even if you dont agree with his stuff 100% of the time, his flicks are very well made and bring to the fore front whatever issue is at hand. This one is Capitalism and the extreme financial crisis we are in.

Zombieland is a flick i am very much looking forward to seeing, but i am seeing Capitalism first (tonight) and i just figure most people feel like they can see a documentary on home video when it hits, cuz this country will still be in shambles and its message will ultimately still be relevant.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:02 PM
It doesn't matter how many documentaries have been released in a wide release in the past or that there seems to be a lack of interest in seeing documentaries in theatres... the fact of the matter is that there were much higher expectations for Capitalism, especially after it had a very high PTA last weekend. Yeah, in the end it will make some bank, raise some awareness (to those who want to hear it) and create some controversy, but it's certainly not reaching out to as big an audience as Moore and Overture were expecting.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:14 PM
But it'll still do amazing well for a doc.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:27 PM
It's performing very similarly to Moore's last documentary, "Sicko" which opened in limited release to a PTA of nearly $70,000 and then opened wide to just over $3.5 million. That went on to nearly triple its budget. I don't think anyone really expected Farenheit 9/11 numbers.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:31 PM
right on.. i guess i hadnt heard much expectation buzz about this flick... cant wait to see it tonight

But i am stocked to see a flick headlined by Woody Harrelson aopen at number one... i am a fan of the dude!

Pretty good numbers for a re-release of movies you can buy on DVD, i think at least, for Toy Story 1&2 in 3D
Old 10-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by detective mills View Post
It's performing very similarly to Moore's last documentary, "Sicko" which opened in limited release to a PTA of nearly $70,000 and then opened wide to just over $3.5 million. That went on to nearly triple its budget. I don't think anyone really expected Farenheit 9/11 numbers.
The thing is, during Sicko's second weekend it was in 441 theatres. Capitalism is in 962 theatres on its second weekend, almost twice as many theatres as Sicko was in in its second weekend. Yet, Capitalism will make the same amount on its second weekend as Sicko did. This would indicate a weak PTA, something that was never a problem for any of Moore's other films. The word of mouth for Capitalism also isn't nearly as good as Moore's previous three films, so I don't expect it will hold up as well in the coming weeks.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Friday Estimates

1. Zombieland- $9.4 million
2. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs- $3.7 million
3. Toy Story- $3.2 million
4. The Invention of Lying- $2.5 million
5. Surrogates- $2.2 million
6. Whip It- $1.6 million
7. Capitalism: A Love Story- $1.5 million
8. Fame- $1.4 million
9. The Informant!- $1.1 million
10. Love Happens- $1 million
Where's Pandorum?

Very good for Zombieland. Expect more zombie movies.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Theater i saw it in was sold out (It being Capitalism)... when it ended the movie received applause... it will do just fine, and the response will be good.

Excellent flick, everyone should see it, everyone... anyone who has money, needs money, owes money.. anyone, everyone!
Old 10-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
Theater i saw it in was sold out (It being Capitalism)... when it ended the movie received applause... it will do just fine, and the response will be good.
One sold out showing and one audience giving it applause does not measure a film's word of mouth and financial success. Like I said before, the point I was trying to make was that the numbers are disappointing for Capitalism. It doesn't matter what we think, several analysts have made it clear that they are disappointing numbers and Overture was counting on much better numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
Excellent flick, everyone should see it, everyone... anyone who has money, needs money, owes money.. anyone, everyone!
I'll pass.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Any idea what the studio was tracking for Capitalism's opening weekend?

Just read this over at Variety:

Quote:
Budgeted at an estimated $23.6 million, "Zombieland" could make its negative cost back in full by Sunday.

Last edited by MisterChristian; 10-03-2009 at 10:45 PM..
Old 10-03-2009, 10:18 PM
I believe it was tracking around $8 million (that was last week), with the studio hoping for at least that. I imagine what they were hoping for was to maintain the $10,000 PTA they had on Sicko's second weekend, which would have given it around $10 million. The PTA is really what is the big disappointment. It's not really even in a wide release yet and its PTA was very weak. Like I've said over and over, it will make some profit, but Overture is definitely disappointed.

Last edited by Bourne101; 10-03-2009 at 10:30 PM..
Old 10-04-2009, 12:57 AM
Looks like i was a bit off on ZL on the high end, at least i wasn't way off. Horror films normally drop on Sat and Sun, we'll see. I don't think it's hitting 31 ml now, but it should easily pass 20 mil, that was the hard deck i predicted for it. Anything above 20 mil will be excellent for this type of film, with good wom, it should double it's budget, possibly more.

Yes, that is a good thing, it means we'll get more zom films, okay for some people that's a bad thing.

What happened to Whip It, honestly it doesn't look that bad, but you have to wonder if ZL is swiping most of the demo it's going for, ZL is a date movie, so there goes the female contingent.

I have an idea why Cap didn't light up the box office, the economy has been dissected from every angle the past year, Moore is late to the party, doubt there are any revelations in this doc and possibly people don't want to spend money to watch a doc about money

Last edited by dellamorte dellamore; 10-04-2009 at 01:00 AM..
Old 10-04-2009, 12:02 PM
"Zombieland" made $25 million this weekend and it only cost $23.6 million to make. Congrats to all those involved...AMAZING MOVIE!
Old 10-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Excellent word of mouth should probably help it stay strong next weekend as well I'd imagine.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Weekend Estimates

1. Zombieland- $25 million
2. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs- $16.7 million
3. Toy Story- $12.5 million
4. The Invention of Lying- $7.4 million
5. Surrogates- $7.3 million
6. Whip It- $4.8 million
7. Capitalism: A Love Story- $4.8 million
8. Fame- $4.7 million
9. The Informant!- $3.8 million
10. Love Happens- $2.8 million

Limited Releases

A Serious Man- $252,000 / 6 Theatres / $42,000 PTA
More Than a Game- $197,000 / 14 Theatres / $14,071 PTA

Excellent for Zombieland. Cloudy is still kicking some ass. Toy Story did fairly well and had a very solid PTA. The Invention of Lying did OK. Surrogates is a bomb. Whip It didn't do very well. I have already summed up many times how Capitalism is doing. Fame is doing pretty poorly. The Informant is having some decent holds. Love Happens surpassed its budget, but isn't doing all that well. A Serious Man did very well in its limited release. Hopefully Focus will expand it soon.

Here is the lowdown on Paranormal Activity:

Quote:
'Paranormal Activity' Gets Freakishly Good Gross Playing Only After Midnight

by Nikki Finke

This doesn't happen that often, so I don't blame Paramount for crowing about its freakishly good numbers for Paranormal Activity, which will do $500K this weekend on 33 screens playing ONLY after midnight. That's a $15K screen average for midnight business. Yikes! It did $150K Thursday and took in another $200K on Friday after selling out every theater. The pic was originally acquired by Paramount bigwig Adam Goodman back when he was at DreamWorks to remake it. (The hype is that Steven Spielberg was so freaked out when he first saw it that he returned it to DreamWorks in a garbage bag...) Then Paramount had a preview, and the movie played well, so the studio was looking for an approach to release it. What began as a heavy screening plan and college outreach to get fans to make it their own morphed last week into a release in 12 college towns doing only midnight shows. Some $80K business later, Paramount added 21 midnight screens this week, including LA's ArcLight (which sold out its 15 midnight shows for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday combined). "It's a little movie that's scaring peoples brains out," a studio exec emailed me. Plus, it's got 93% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. I gotta say, that TV ad campaign is effective, too. Next week, Paranormal Activity will expand to somewhere around 100 screens playing full day schedules. It will be interesting to see how big the overall fan base is after the college Facebook Twitter folks have really embraced this film and made it their own.

Last edited by Bourne101; 10-04-2009 at 02:07 PM..
Old 10-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Weekend Estimates

1. Zombieland- $25 million
2. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs- $16.7 million
3. Toy Story- $12.5 million
4. The Invention of Lying- $7.4 million
5. Surrogates- $7.3 million
6. Whip It- $4.8 million
7. Capitalism: A Love Story- $4.8 million
8. Fame- $4.7 million
9. The Informant!- $3.8 million
10. Love Happens- $2.8 million

Excellent for Zombieland. Cloudy is still kicking some ass. Toy Story did fairly well and had a very solid PTA. The Invention of Lying did OK. Surrogates is a bomb. Whip It didn't do very well. I have already summed up many times how Capitalism is doing. Fame is doing pretty poorly. The Informant is having some decent holds. Love Happens surpassed its budget, but isn't doing all that well.
You forgot about Paranormal Activity doing extremely well. LA Times is reporting that the film will now have a limited release by next week and showing throughout the day instead of just midnight! I'm so excited!
Old 10-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicwizguy View Post
You forgot about Paranormal Activity doing extremely well. LA Times is reporting that the film will now have a limited release by next week and showing throughout the day instead of just midnight! I'm so excited!
I addressed it while you were making this post.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Friday numbers (moviecitynews.com)

1. Couples Retreat - 12.3 mil
2. Zombieland - 4.7 mil
3. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - 3 mil
4. Paranormal Activity - 2.6 mil
5. Toy Story 1 & 2 3D - 2 mil
6. Surrogates - 1.2 mil
7. The Invention of Lying - 1.1 mil
8. Whip It - .9 mil
9. Fame - .8 mil
10. Capitalism: A Love Story - .75 mil

Amazing number for Paranormal Activity based on its theater count.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
Friday numbers (moviecitynews.com)

2. Zombieland - 4.7 mil
3. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - 3 mil
4. Paranormal Activity - 2.6 mil
5. Toy Story 1 & 2 3D - 2 mil
6. Surrogates - 1.2 mil
7. The Invention of Lying - 1.1 mil
8. Whip It - .9 mil
9. Fame - .8 mil
10. Capitalism: A Love Story - .75 mil

Amazing number for Paranormal Activity based on its theater count.
Wow, great weekend for a number of films. Couples Retreat did very well. Zombieland had a strong hold, as did Meatballs. Paranormal Activity is doing INSANELY well. I am looking forward to seeing how it performs when it expands wide next weekend. Toy Story held up very well.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Quote:
UGH!?

Wow. Meatballs continues to kick ass in it's third (?) weekend!

$15,975 PTA on Paranormal Activity! 159 screens. Good job Paramount (even though I hear the movie's "shit")...

Last edited by MisterChristian; 10-10-2009 at 12:56 PM..
Old 10-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Think my weekend prediction for PA could be right. It doesn't have much further to go, i expect the Friday number to jump today.

I don't see why it's not crossing 100 mil total by the end of it's run. It may even flirt with 130
Old 10-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Good for ZL, Cloudy, and PA! I wish PA all the success in the world. Saw it last night and had a blast.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:19 PM
PA won't gross $100M.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChristian View Post
$15,975 PTA on Paranormal Activity! 159 screens. Good job Paramount (even though I hear the movie's "shit")...
From who? Everyone I know who've seen it know full well it's not shit, but amazing.

Even the critical consensus is that it's not shit!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/paranormal_activity/
Old 10-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Some friends that went to see it weren't impressed with PA *shrugs*

Did you see it LordSimen?

EDIT: Just read you've seen it FOUR times

The Toronto Star gave it a 2.5/4 review: Paranormal Activity: Your stomach will be terrified

Last edited by MisterChristian; 10-10-2009 at 03:26 PM..
Old 10-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Those friends don't sound very trust worthy, but whatever. Let's move on from this.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:15 PM
i too have heard that Paranormal Activity is amazing.. but you know... some people are bound to not like it... same way Blair Witch ranks as one of my all time favorites (certainly the scariest flick i have ever seen) and most people hate it!

Seeing Paranormal tomorrow night.. can not fucking wait!
Old 10-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChristian View Post
PA won't gross $100M.
Look how much damage it's already doing without the mainstream knowing about it. It's still mainly an "underground" thing. Once it makes the top ten this weekend, coupled with an expansion next weekend, in addition to the time of year, it will break out proper.

It's definitely crossing 100 mil.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:59 AM
What the hell? That Paranormal movie literally came out of nowhere.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
Look how much damage it's already doing without the mainstream knowing about it. It's still mainly an "underground" thing. Once it makes the top ten this weekend, coupled with an expansion next weekend, in addition to the time of year, it will break out proper.

No doubt PA is doing amazing, but I seriously doubt it will make 100 mill.

Can't wait to see it though.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:25 AM
Quote:

I'll say again, PA will not gross $100M. It'll do exceptionally well as long as audiences play into the hype as it continues. Paramount needs to get this film OUT THERE - enough of this limited midnight screening gimmick. So far, Paramount is no doubt happy. The marketing campaign is nothing short of brilliant and kudos to the studio for utilizing social networks on building the buzz and "event" type feeling for the film.

Last edited by MisterChristian; 10-11-2009 at 09:38 AM..
Old 10-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJ506 View Post
What the hell? That Paranormal movie literally came out of nowhere.
Paramount are fucktards. Look at the money it made on what... 4 screens? Wide release this shit BEFORE holding hostage for demands, and it would be #1 this weekend. I hope this fucking ploy blows up in their faces, and barely makes the top 10 after it's wide release next week... oh, and that's US wide release. Fuck Paramount/Dreamworks... I'll download this bitch and never give them a dime... terrorists.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie_Darko View Post
I hope this fucking ploy blows up in their faces, and barely makes the top 10 after it's wide release next week... oh, and that's US wide release. Fuck Paramount/Dreamworks... I'll download this bitch and never give them a dime... terrorists.
It's going wide in Canada as well. Relax.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Weekend Estimates

1. Couples Retreat- $35.4 million
2. Zombieland- $15 million
3. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs- $12 million
4. Toy Story- $7.7 million
5. Paranormal Activity- $7.1 million
6. Surrogates- $4.2 million
7. The Invention of Lying- $3.4 million
8. Whip It- $2.8 million
9. Capitalism: A Love Story- $2.7 million
10. Fame- $2.6 million

Excellent for Couples Retreat. Zombieland held up very well. Meatballs is still kicking ass. Toy Story had a solid two week 3D run. Paranormal Activity is kicking fucking ass! Its PTA was $44,440!

Last edited by Bourne101; 10-11-2009 at 11:37 AM..
Old 10-11-2009, 11:57 AM
BOM says Couples Retreat had a $70M budget?! Solid opening. I'm surprised. Congrats to Ralphie from A Christmas Story on directing his first feature.

Looks like I'll seek out Meatballs afterall.

Anyone catch A Serious Man - out in limited release??

Last edited by MisterChristian; 10-11-2009 at 12:57 PM..
Old 10-11-2009, 01:32 PM
I said before that CR would be this year's Wild Hogs. A bunch of middle aged dudes bonding and making fools of themselves, plus it has the relationship element. Dumb enough to appeal to the masses. It looks like it very well is this year's WH, i expect it to hang around for awhile and have small drops, much like that film did.

ZL is on a pace to become the highest grossing zombie film of all time, domestic total that is. It's number 6 on the list and it doesn't have much further to go to break 59 mil set by Dawn 04. It's doing great, well on it's way to 80 mil, that's amazing.

Meatballs, well, it's another 3d kiddie film, 90 percent of those do well, parents have to do something with the kids. Looks generic to me.

PA, what more proof does everyone want that it's momentum has just begun and is only going to get stronger. I under estimated it a bit with my 40,000 psa and 6.3 mil fo the weekend , it hit 44,000 and 7.1mil, close enough, but the point is, this weekend was a litmus test for it's appeal, it passed in convincing fashion.

When it goes wide next weekend i expect it's psa to drop a bit(30,000 to 35,000), but it's still going to tear things up something fierce. Can't predict now, but i will say it's easily number one next weekend( will have to see just how wide it goes). It's headed for a showdown with Saw 20
Old 10-11-2009, 01:42 PM
DD, weren't you the one that said meatballs wouldn't make its budget back?
Old 10-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
Meatballs, well, it's another 3d kiddie film, 90 percent of those do well, parents have to do something with the kids. Looks generic to me.
I've heard the exact opposite. Mark Kermode called it Lynch for kids.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Quote:
When it goes wide next weekend i expect it's psa to drop a bit(30,000 to 35,000), but it's still going to tear things up something fierce. Can't predict now, but i will say it's easily number one next weekend( will have to see just how wide it goes)
Drop a bit?? $30-$35K PSA? IMO, I just don't see that happening. Sorry. No doubt it'll do fine though. How wide is it opening next week?

It's a no brainer which film will be number one next weekend. And it won't be PA.