Old 10-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Theatre count hasn't been released for PA for next weekend. I can definitely see it taking the #2 spot, but unless some crazy shit happens, it is indeed a no brainer for which film will take the #1 spot.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:47 PM
With only 159 theaters it grossed an estimated 7 million this weekend. God damn.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Theatre count hasn't been released for PA for next weekend. I can definitely see it taking the #2 spot, but unless some crazy shit happens, it is indeed a no brainer for which film will take the #1 spot.
Yeah, i forgot about that Wild movie, and it's not going to be playing in as many theaters as i thought it might from the looks of it. Just to throw a number out there, if it expands to a 1000, with a psa of 30,000, that would give it 30 mil. That's the number i'm focusing my prediction on, 30,000 psa. I'll have to wait for a "concrete" theater count for my final prediction.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdraven View Post
DD, weren't you the one that said meatballs wouldn't make its budget back?
I don't know, did i? If i did, i was obviously wrong, i can't be right all the time as this is all pontification and not an exact science. I think i may have stated that it wouldn't double it's budget(domestically) , and it certainly won't.

Here's something weird, while perusing the weekend list on Bom, i noticed a film called "An Education" that had a 40,000 psa in 4 theaters for a total of 162,000, does this film have ghosts, is it a horror film, do we already have the next PA on our hands?

Last edited by dellamorte dellamore; 10-12-2009 at 01:18 AM..
Old 10-12-2009, 01:52 AM
Box Office Mojo says Wild Things will be released in over 3,500 theaters
Old 10-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Apparently the actuals for PA this weekend were in fact $7.9. The movie's rockin' the house.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:53 AM
It no doubt is, i wonder if the director, in addition to whatever upfront payment he received, is getting a percentage of the profits. I'm sure he was savvy enough to demand residuals.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:35 PM
I don't think he was in the position to demand anything when he sold his movie to Paramount back in 06 or 07. He was probably very lucky to have sold it to them. I am sure they will probably give him some kind of back end deal of a sorts, but he is already set up to make another movie Area 51 so he is in good shape.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Very Early Box Office Estimates For October 16, 2009
1. Where The Wild Things Are - $12 million
2. Law Abiding Citizen - $7.5 million
3. Paranormal Activity - $6.3 million
4. Couples Retreat - $6 million
5. The Stepfather - $4.3 million
6. Zombieland - $2.5 million
7. Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs - $1.9 million
8. Toy Story / Toy Story 2 (3D) - $900,000
9. Surrogates - $700,000
10. The Invention Of Lying - $675,000

http://blog.theboxofficejunkie.com/2...hings-are.html

Great for Wild Things and Paranormal...and sadly, great for Law Abiding Citizen. *sigh*
Old 10-17-2009, 01:56 PM
WTWTA should do great numbers Sat and Sun.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:19 PM
huh. Law Abiding Citizen came out of nowhere.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamer581 View Post
Very Early Box Office Estimates For October 16, 2009
1. Where The Wild Things Are - $12 million
2. Law Abiding Citizen - $7.5 million
3. Paranormal Activity - $6.3 million
4. Couples Retreat - $6 million
5. The Stepfather - $4.3 million
6. Zombieland - $2.5 million
7. Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs - $1.9 million
8. Toy Story / Toy Story 2 (3D) - $900,000
9. Surrogates - $700,000
10. The Invention Of Lying - $675,000

http://blog.theboxofficejunkie.com/2...hings-are.html

Great for Wild Things and Paranormal...and sadly, great for Law Abiding Citizen. *sigh*
Fantastic for Where The Wild Things Are. Gerald Butler rides again. The Stepfather is at 5th place and i thought it would be at the top 3 but thankfully didn't.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:36 AM
The fact that Paranormal Activity is beating out The Stepfather brings me much happiness. That movie looked like the very definition of bland and from what I hear from everyone else, it ended up being exactly that.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:56 AM
I don't know why some of you guys are saying that Law Abiding Citizen "came out of nowhere." It has two big names in Gerard Butler and Jamie Foxx, has an interesting premise, the trailer looked pretty good, and it's a revenge flick. I'm not surprised at all it hasn't done too shabby up to this point.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:45 AM
I'm not surprised either. It contains one of my favorite trailers of the year. I was pumped to see it as well. At least until I read the script.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:50 AM
I went to see Wild Things again last night and if the theater crowds are any indicator, i'll have a pretty huge opening. My crowd was packed and I believe may have sold out the screening I attended. Cool to see Paranormal Activity kick some ass too. I'm hoping to check it out some time this week.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:39 PM
"Paranormal Activity" has made $33,717,000 total as of this weekend. That's fucking huge considering a $15,000 budget.

"Where the Wild Things Are" ruled the weekend though with $34 million.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Weekend Estimates

1. Where the Wild Things Are- $32.5 million
2. Law Abiding Citizen- $21.3 million
3. Paranormal Activity- $20.2 million
4. Couples Retreat- $18 million
5. The Stepfather- $12.3 million
6. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs- $8.1 million
7. Zombieland- $7.8 million
8. Toy Story- $3 million
9. Surrogates- $2 million
10. The Invention of Lying- $1.9 million

Very good for Where the Wild Things Are and Law Abiding Citizen. I was right on the money with my Paranormal Activity prediction, and it had a hell of a weekend. Couples Retreat had a solid second weekend. The Stepfather did OK. Meatballs is still kicking some ass. Zombieland is still doing well.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:18 PM
PA blew everything away in the Psa department again in only 760 theaters. It snagged a 26,000 psa, i felt it could do 30,000, and it didn't play in 800 theaters like i thought it did, but that's a fantastic number, 20.1 mil for the weekend, narrowly missing coming in second, it still can once final numbers are in. I don't know how it will fare against Saw 1200, it's supposedly expanding to 2000 theaters next weekend. It should be able to snag another 20 mil. I'll have to think about that one.

Wild things didn't do as well as i thought it would, but it's a family film, it should hold up well. I still feel it underperformed considering the terrific reviews and the history of the book and the lack of any competition.

The dreadful looking LAC managed to snag 20.2 mil, guess people were bored, i expect it to fade fast now. This is a film i wouldn't even rent from a kiosk at the supermarket, looks godawful. It barely beat PA for second place even though it was in 3 times more theaters.

Zombieland is still chugging along with yet another less than 50 per drop, it's the highest grossing "zombie" movie of all time now. Who said there was no life left in this genre?

Couple's retreat held up well, it's at 63 mil now after 2 weeks, i doubt anyone is complaining about that. I figured it would hang around a bit and it looks like it may.

The Stepfather, instant rental, managed to do some damage, i'm surprised it even made that much, 12 mil.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Black Dynamite did $141,000 on 70 screens. Had to throw that in

Check it out if it's playing near you. So much fun!

Old 10-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
Wild things didn't do as well as i thought it would, but it's a family film, it should hold up well. I still feel it underperformed considering the terrific reviews and the history of the book and the lack of any competition.
Families with children made up only around 27% of the audience who saw the film this weekend, and rightly so, it is NOT a film for little kids. Warner is stoked that it did this well. They were expecting $30 million at the very most.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Families with children made up only around 27% of the audience who saw the film this weekend, and rightly so, it is NOT a film for little kids. Warner is stoked that it did this well. They were expecting $30 million at the very most.
I applaud Warner Bros for having a excellent ad campaign.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:54 PM
I don't know, how do they even track who went to see it, i still think it's slightly disappointing, it's Psa was nothing special and it was being advertised like mad.

Of course i expect it to hold up well and make some decent bank, still think it should have done more, at least opening weekend.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Early Estimates:

1. Paranormal Activity (Par) Week 5 [1,945 Runs] $7.5M Fri, Est Wkd $21M
2. Saw VI (LG) NEW [3,036] $7M Fri, Est Wkd $18M
3. Wild Things (WB) Week 2 [3,735] $4.4M Fri (-63%), Est Wkd $13M
4. Law Abiding (Over) Week 2 [2,890] $4.2M Fri (-45%), Est Wkd $12.5M
5. Couples Retreat (Uni) Week 3 [3,074] $3.7M Fri, Est Wkd $11.5M
6. Vampire's Assistant (Relativity/Uni) NEW [2,754] $2.3M Fri, Est Wkd $6.8M
7. The Stepfather (Sony) Week 2 [2,734] $2.1M Fri, Est Wkd $6.2M
8. Astro Boy (Imagi/Summit) NEW [3,014] $2M Fri, Est Wkd $6.2M
9. Cloudy/Meatballs (Sony) Week 6 [2,741] $1.5M Fri, Est Wkd $5.5M
10. Zombieland (Sony) Week 4 [2,447] $1.3M Fri, Est Wkd $4.5M
11. Amelia (Fox Searchlight] NEW [818] $1.3M Fri, Est Wkd $4M

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/pa...re-up-viewers/

I think people are FINALLY starting to get tired of those awful Saw movies. Yes, I am sure it was made for cheap...but 18 mill is what, about half of what they usually make opening weekend? Awesome.

Paranormal continues to kick ass, Wild Things take a big hit,Vampire and Amelia tank.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:15 AM
With numbers that close, we should wait until at least tomorrow morning before declaring PA the winner. Although, if it happens, I'll be happy that someone has knocked those awful SAW movies off the Halloween weekend pedestal. Nikki is unreliable with numbers and she'll often just fudge the original link so that it seemed like she was right all along and you're left hanging with your dick in your hands.

WTWTA deserves to be successful, but if it ends up making less than its domestic budget, they have only themselves to blame for going over and the tons of re-shoots and delays in production.

I knew AMELIA would tank because there was no marketing push whatsoever. Biopics generally do well, but they must have really thought this one sucked ass to not even try to sell this.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:16 AM
i knew saw 61 billion wouldn't take number one, i didn't think it would be paranormal that would beat it though. i still have no interest in it whatsoever hopefully south park will do a great parody on it ala cloverfield with guinea pigs. i knew astro boy and amelia would tank. they didn't push those movies hard enough. plus they looked cheesy and stupid to fans. i thought vampire's assistant would do a lot better, i guess the twilight geeks want the real deal and not a time killer and carbon copy. wild things and law abiding took understandable drops. everything else did fine. not a bad pre-holiday weekend, overall.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:26 PM
I figured PA was going to hit about 20 mil but i thought Saw 61 Billion was going to do a little better, just glad it didn't, it's too bad it will still make enough to greenlight another one.

PA taking number one would be fantastic, Now how many more doubters are there that it will hit 100 mil.

Saw, bahahahahahahaha, may not be able to beat PA in more theaters, please let this series die.

Wild things, it's opening weekend was poor and now it's dropped hard , it's a genuine disappointment, they should have made it in 3d. I expected it to hold up better. I should clarify, it's opening weekend would have been allright if it held up well this weekend, in light of how hard it's fallen, last weekend was worse than first thought.

Amelia, LOFL, oscar bait crashes and burns, sorry chick that probably should have never won any oscars. This turd just looks like a female version of the Aviator
Old 10-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
I figured PA was going to hit about 20 mil but i thought Saw 61 Billion was going to do a little better, just glad it didn't, it's too bad it will still make enough to greenlight another one.

PA taking number one would be fantastic, Now how many more doubters are there that it will hit 100 mil.

Saw, bahahahahahahaha, may not be able to beat PA in more theaters, please let this series die.

Wild things, it's opening weekend was poor and now it's dropped hard , it's a genuine disappointment, they should have made it in 3d. I expected it to hold up better. I should clarify, it's opening weekend would have been allright if it held up well this weekend, in light of how hard it's fallen, last weekend was worse than first thought.

Amelia, LOFL, oscar bait crashes and burns, sorry chick that probably should have never won any oscars. This turd just looks like a female version of the Aviator
thanks, dellamorte. good to know we see eye to eye on hollywood's continuing trend with execs smoking in the office while coming up with the ideas. should've brought in the awesome-o 4000 with david mamet's family. wild things was good but it really should've been a lighthearted cgi cartoon instead of a dramatic puppet show. and as for amelia, i guess people would rather see amy adams do it instead of someone who already has a whole room full of trophies. paranormal activity is officially the new blair witch project, although i'm tired of the "fun horror expierences", i think they will be around for quite some time.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:38 PM
AMELIA's marketing was terrible i knew they were making the film but,i only saw footage/trailer when they started airing t.v ads a week ago.Looks good but a bad script.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Saw 6 was a good flick... but i have loved the series through its highs (1) and lows (5)... but 6 was a very good addition to the series.

Glad Paranormal is still doing strong, but as i said in another thread, now is when we start getting the backlash from ppl going to see it based purely on hype!

Where the wild things are... could you please explain how this underperformed on opening weekend??!

By all accounts i read, the opening weekend exceeded expectations... so you'd have to point to your source on that one!

Amelia had no promotion behind it, it was bound to tank

Astro Boy looked stupid!
Old 10-24-2009, 04:47 PM
From The Hollywood Reporter:

Quote:
'Paranormal' beats 'Saw' at Friday boxoffice
Horror sequel bowed in second place; 'Wild Things' in third

By Gregg Kilday
Oct 24, 2009, 02:19 PM ET

Friday's boxoffice was a horror.

Lionsgate's seemingly never-ending "Saw" franchise squared off with Paramount's fifth-weekend expansion of "Paranormal Activity," and in something of an underdog upset, "Paranormal's" things that go bump in the night scared up more business than "Saw's" sadistic Jigsaw.

Oren Peli's R-rated "Paranormal" grabbed an estimated $7.6 million as it moved from 760 theaters last weekend to 1,945 locations in North America this frame. In the process, it also moved to first place for the day, up from its third-place ranking last weekend.

In second place, the R-rated "Saw VI," directed by Kevin Greutert, took in about $7 million on its opening day in 3,036 theaters -- it played in more than 1,000 locations more than "Paranormal." With the horror audience dividing between the two pictures, "Saw's" weekend take will fall well short of the $30.1 million opening of "Saw V" last year.

The other new genre title opening this weekend, Universal's PG-13 rated "Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant," had to settle for a seventh-place showing. It's Friday total amounted to about $2.2 million from its 2,754 engagements.

Summit's release of Imagi Entertainment's younger-skewing toon "Astro Boy" pulled in just $1.8 million in 3,014 theaters. David Bowers' PG movie, with Freddie Highmore voicing Astro Boy, ranked eighth.

Making a more limited appeal to adult moviegoers by opening in 818 theaters, Fox Searchlight's historical romance "Amelia" cruised the lower altitudes. Mira Nair's PG film, starring Hilary Swank as the celebrated aviatrix, collected $1.3 million, which put it in 11th place.

Meanwhile, Warners' "Where the Wild Things Are," which took the boxoffice crown last week, settled into third place. Its opening Friday gross of $12.1 million dipped by 64% to $4.4 million as it entered its second weekend.

Rounding out the top five, Overturn's revenge tale "Law Abiding Citizen" was in fourth place as it took in $4.2 million on the first day of its second weekend. Beginning its third weekend, Universal's comedy "Couples Retreat" was fifth with $3.6 million.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:40 PM
I think it's funny to see people applauding SAW VI's apparenty shortcoming when A) nobody is forcing anyone to watch these movies and B) these movies are relatively cheap to make, and it's still going to make more than it's budget back in the weekend box office.

There'll be more. Don't you worry your pretty heads.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fred Krueger View Post
I think it's funny to see people applauding SAW VI's apparenty shortcoming when A) nobody is forcing anyone to watch these movies and B) these movies are relatively cheap to make, and it's still going to make more than it's budget back in the weekend box office.
A lot of us think they suck, and want them to stop.

And yeah, it will make probably 3-4 times it's budget (I believe it cost like 11 million or so), but from 30 mill that 5 made opening weekend, to under 20 for 6....that's a huge drop.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamer581 View Post
A lot of us think they suck, and want them to stop.
But if you think they suck, why should their very existence bother you? Just ignore it like everything else you dislike.

Quote:
And yeah, it will make probably 3-4 times it's budget (I believe it cost like 11 million or so), but from 30 mill that 5 made opening weekend, to under 20 for 6....that's a huge drop.
Same exact thing happened with the Friday the 13th franchise post Part V. And that franchise is still ticking twenty years later.

Last edited by Mr. Fred Krueger; 10-24-2009 at 10:57 PM..
Old 10-25-2009, 01:53 AM
7 times 3 (for a 3 day gross) is 21... not under 20

pretty sure it will take in over 20 Million this weekend... i may be wrong, but im pretty sure it will!
Old 10-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fred Krueger View Post
But if you think they suck, why should their very existence bother you? Just ignore it like everything else you dislike.
They are kinda hard to ignore, they come out every freaking year.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
7 times 3 (for a 3 day gross) is 21... not under 20

pretty sure it will take in over 20 Million this weekend... i may be wrong, but im pretty sure it will!
It is looking like it did about 15-16 for the weekend.
http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/pa...re-up-viewers/

Another site has it at 19.5. Regardless, it doesn't look like it is going to break 20.

Last edited by screamer581; 10-25-2009 at 12:08 PM..
Old 10-25-2009, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Guess what? Crazy shit happened.

From IMDB,

Weekend Gross
1 Paranormal Activity (2007) $22M $62.5M
2 Saw VI (2009) $14.8M $14.8M

3 Where the Wild Things Are (2009) $14.4M $54M
4 Law Abiding Citizen (2009) $12.7M $40.3M
5 Couples Retreat (2009) $11.1M $78.2M
6 Astro Boy (2009) $7.02M $7.02M
7 The Stepfather (2009) $6.5M $20.4M
8 Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant (2009) $6.35M $6.35M
9 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009) $5.6M $115M
10 Zombieland (2009) $4.3M $67.3M

Not only did Paranormal Activity beat Saw VI, it beat it by quite a lot - by 7.2million! Impressive

Its been getting a lot of good word of mouth. I was skeptical at first due to memories of The Blair Witch Project but it seems as though this film actually delivers the good, I think I'll check it out.

As for Saw, I personally have no inclination to see it. While I love suspense, I am not a fan of excessive gore and scenes of torture, its just not something I enjoy seeing.

Perhaps this weekend can be explained as a victory of suespense over gore.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter82 View Post
I did think Saw would win the weekend this weekend, but that post was referring to Wild Things beating PA last weekend.

Paranormal Activity is doing extremely well. It should definitely cross $100 million at this rate. Disappointing for Saw. Yeah, it has already made its budget back, but it opened to less than half of what the last entry did and had a dreadful Saturday drop. We may be closer to the end of this franchise than we thought. Where the Wild Things Are dropped a bit harder than expected, and won't make it to $100 million, but it is not exactly an easy sell and it is certainly a case of the filmmakers being more proud of the quality of film than the quantity of box-office. Law Abiding Citizen has surprised me, it held up fairly well. Couples Retreat continues to do well. Astro Boy tanked. The Stepfather is not doing all that well. The Vampire's Assistant tanked. Meatballs is still going strong, as is Zombieland.

Last edited by Bourne101; 10-25-2009 at 01:34 PM..
Old 10-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter82 View Post

From IMDB,

Weekend Gross

2 Saw VI (2009) $14.8M $14.8M

Wow, that is awful. I don't care what the budget was.