Old 11-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
DK's one day and soon, it's weekend record is toast. Anyone that doesn't think it's a foregone conclusion at this point is a bit bonkers.

This is a pg 13 film, they almost always jump on Sat., or at least equal opening day numbers, so the fekkin turd will be at 140 plus by the end of Sat nite. We're probably looking at a 180 mil opening weekend now.
So I'm bonkers eh? There is absolutely NO WAY Twilight will increase on Saturday. Not a chance in hell. The first Twilight dropped 41% from Friday to Saturday when it opened and then another 42% from Saturday to Sunday. These films are extremely front loaded. Any film that makes $26 million in midnight showings is clearly going to be front loaded. Even The Dark Knight dropped from Friday to Saturday by 30%. I suggest you look at some previous facts before calling anyone "bonkers".
Old 11-21-2009, 02:55 PM
I'd rather have the box office be low than a Twilight movie earning top dollar.

This is the disgrace of the year.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:21 PM
i personally dont htink this will take the top weekend.. but to be fair i didnt expect it to break the records it has thus far!

But i think this flick will be top loaded, and its weekend will not be as big as Dark Knights.

but we also have to worry about next summer when Eclipse hits... if New Moon can do these numbers on a November release, then Eclipse upon a summer release will be one to watch.

hopefully Iron Man 2 can take the numbers back!
Old 11-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Quote:
but we also have to worry about next summer when Eclipse hits... if New Moon can do these numbers on a November release, then Eclipse upon a summer release will be one to watch.
I bet some studios are already looking to shuffle around some dates for their summer flicks. Eclipse hits June 30, 2010.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:11 PM
With the popularity of the Twilight series, Iím puzzled why the Underworld movies never had a huge female audience. Since both stories deal with vampires and werewolves, shouldnít Selena be a household name along with Bella among female moviegoers.

In addition isnít Selena supposed to represent some sort of female empowerment as opposed to Bella. Maybe women donít like to see themselves shooting guns, fighting battles and saving the world. They would rather go on a romantic journey to find the perfect man. At the end of the day itís all about romance.

It's proven time and time again that most women in leading roles are there to play the love interest and the damsel in distress. Women canít carry movies in general without shirtless guys and they donít need or want female superheroes of their own.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Yeah, the fact that New Moon's opening night gross beat the previous record set by The Dark Knight makes me want to puke in my mouth a little.

Luckily that will likely be the only record it breaks. I don't even think this movie will be number 1 at the box office next week. Once the Twilight fans see this movie once or twice that will be that, I can't see this as being the sort of film appealing to non-Twilight fans (being almost all women, mostly young - and fat j/k, I just really hate Twilight aka the series about sparkling vampires and shirtless werewolves )
Old 11-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Now that I have seen BOTH Twilight AND New Moon I can say with 100% certainty that this franchise is pretty bad and that the Underworld franchise is a BILLION times better!
Old 11-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
So I'm bonkers eh? There is absolutely NO WAY Twilight will increase on Saturday. Not a chance in hell. The first Twilight dropped 41% from Friday to Saturday when it opened and then another 42% from Saturday to Sunday. These films are extremely front loaded. Any film that makes $26 million in midnight showings is clearly going to be front loaded. Even The Dark Knight dropped from Friday to Saturday by 30%. I suggest you look at some previous facts before calling anyone "bonkers".
I apologize, i got caught up in the moment, i hope your'e right bro, i couldn't handle this film beating that record
Old 11-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter82 View Post
Yeah, the fact that New Moon's opening night gross beat the previous record set by The Dark Knight makes me want to puke in my mouth a little.

Luckily that will likely be the only record it breaks. I don't even think this movie will be number 1 at the box office next week. Once the Twilight fans see this movie once or twice that will be that, I can't see this as being the sort of film appealing to non-Twilight fans (being almost all women, mostly young - and fat j/k, I just really hate Twilight aka the series about sparkling vampires and shirtless werewolves )
It doesn't matter, it already made way too much money already
Old 11-22-2009, 07:10 AM
With numbers like those i bet the studios wish the Twighlight series was as long as the Harry Potter series
Old 11-22-2009, 10:36 AM
$72 million in one day for that piece of shit....what a fucking disgrace. People should be ashamed of themselves.

That's alright though, we still have AVATAR!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:44 AM
didn't come close to Dark Knight for the weekend... only estimated at $140 million. Pretty shocking.

Also, how about Blind Side? $34.5 million for that movie has to be a huge success, right? Between that and The Proposal, Sandra Bullock is having herself quite a solid year. Who would've thought...
Old 11-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Variety:

Quote:
'New Moon' shines at box office
'Twilight' sequel nabs $140.7 million
By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK

Marking the third best weekend opening of all time, Summit Entertainment's sequel "New Moon" grossed an estimated $140.7 million from 4,024 screens at the domestic B.O., according to insiders close to the numbers.

Not only that, "New Moon" led what's expected to be the second-best weekend ever at the domestic B.O. in terms of overall ticket sales, trailing only the weekend that Warner Bros.' "The Dark Knight" opened, and that was in summer.

Helping the this weekend's boom was Warner Bros.' sports drama "The Blind Side," which far overperformed in opening to an estimated $34.5 million from 3,110 screens.

"New Moon's" boffo opening trails only Warners' "The Dark Knight" ($67.2 million) and Sony's "Spider-Man 3" ($151.1 million). "New Moon" bumped Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" ($135.6 million) from the No. 3 spot in terms of top opening for a three-day weekend.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:48 AM
From boxofficemojo

New Moon's estimated weekend falls
Friday: 72 mil
Saturday: 43 mil
Sunday: about 25 mil
Old 11-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Still very impressive numbers, I'm guessing the budget for this was also much smaller then the other films in the top spot?
Old 11-22-2009, 11:39 AM
im just super happy that The Dark Knight was not overtaken for opening weekend... i feel that is a more sacred record to hold. And it proves what i had said, this is a very front loaded flick, the fan girls came out on Midnight showings and that opening friday, and as the days moved forth it dropped.

Next week has Ninja Assassin, Old Dogs and Fantastic Mr. Fox... im confident one of those 3 will over take the top of the box office from New Moon!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
im just super happy that The Dark Knight was not overtaken for opening weekend... i feel that is a more sacred record to hold. And it proves what i had said, this is a very front loaded flick, the fan girls came out on Midnight showings and that opening friday, and as the days moved forth it dropped.

Next week has Ninja Assassin, Old Dogs and Fantastic Mr. Fox... im confident one of those 3 will over take the top of the box office from New Moon!
I'm all about "The Road" next weekend.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post

Ditto on The Road. New Moon, as Shinigami showed in his post, will fall hard and something will overtake it. A bit tough to tell from this batch but Ninja Assassin will likely take the top spot next weekend.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:16 PM
The Road does look amazing... isnt that a limited release?

I dont think Road has a chance at being Number 1 at the Box Office, where as any of the other 3 have shots.

Just happy Dark Knights weekend record remains in tact!
Old 11-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Out of those, I think Old Dogs has the best chance to overtake it and that really doesn't look that much better than New Moon. Wild Hogs looked like shit and sucked too yet it made tons of money, so don't count it out. Ninja Assassin might do it since people love ninjas, but no one's heard of Rain and it looks pretty bland. Fantastic Mr. Fox might be too much of an adult animated film to really appeal to the kiddies. I think New Moon will probably end up tops with around 45 million or so.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderPredator View Post
I'm all about "The Road" next weekend.
The Road starts Wednesday around my quarters, but since Red Cliff and Bad LT. also start then I may have to wait for the weekend to see The Road.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm sorry but I don't see ANY of the new movies opening on Wednesday over taking New Moon's spot at #1. I think New Moon will remain number 1 for at least a couple of weeks.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I think New Moon will remain number 1 for at least a couple of weeks.
It is entirely possible that New Moon could take the #1 spot every weekend until Avatar is released. I don't see Old Dogs, Ninja Assassin, The Road, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Armored, Brothers or Everybody's Fine taking Twilight out when they open. Maybe The Princess and the Frog when it goes wide on December 11th. Up in the Air, Invictus and The Lovely Bones will all open in limited release, so no chance there either. That's not to say that New Moon is going to hold up extremely well or anything (in fact, I expect it to have some pretty large drops for at least a couple of weeks), but there's nothing coming out that looks like it will do much box-office damage, save for maybe Old Dogs, but New Moon will probably always be a step ahead of it.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:20 PM
I think Invictus will have a chance of dethroning it.

And are you sure that The Lovely Bones is only in limited release to start off with? If it isn't, I think it'll have a shot as well.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
I think Invictus will have a chance of dethroning it.

And are you sure that The Lovely Bones is only in limited release to start off with? If it isn't, I think it'll have a shot as well.
According to Box-Office Mojo, both Invictus and The Lovely Bones will be opening in limited releases.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Old Dogs should snag an older crowd, 35 plus, but i'm not so sure that's going to be enough to knock Twemo from it's lofty perch.

One thing you can count on is the fickle nature of the target audience, most of them may forget the film is in theaters by next weekend

It doesn't matter though, it's going to flirt with 300 mil now.

Ninja is a curious time to release a film such as this, i think it looks good, but Xgiving weekend, i don't know how many people will want to see someone breaking bones after they eat a turkey leg down to the bone.

The Road, it looks too depressing for an Xgiving weekend outing, this is another curious release.

That's why i give Old Dogs an outside shot at taking down Twemo, it looks like silly, harmless fun, the perfect thing for a long weekend. I would say it would have to do at least 60 to accomplish this, so i doubt it.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:42 AM
I cringe every time I see an Old Dogs commercial on tv. That's because it's very sad seeing actors I love in a movie that looks pretty bad.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:55 AM
I admit, i think it looks dreadful but gut busting, i don't mind a bit of nonsensical humor every now and then, i can see it's goofball all the way. Seth Green's scene with the Gorilla gets me every time and belligerent penguins is hilarious
Old 11-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Really? Didn't Seth Green do enough scenes with a gorilla in Without a Paddle. Infact, when I first saw that in the trailer, I could have sworn I remember a very similar scene in Without a Paddle.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:42 AM
It was a bear in Without a Paddle, ilovemovies.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSimen View Post
It was a bear in Without a Paddle, ilovemovies.
Oops. Well, it still feels like the same scene based on the trailer.

Speaking of Old Dogs, James Berardinelli just gave it 1/2 * star!

I always knew it looked really bad. But I didn't think it was going to be quite THAT bad! That's the same rating he gave the dreadful Halloween II. Then again, he also gave Miss March that rating and Miss March is one of the year's biggest guilty pleasures for me.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:53 PM
According to The-Numbers, The Road is opening in around 100 theatres (thank Christ one of them is mine).

I'd say this is a bad move by the Weinstein's. They've marketed it as well as they could have to attract an audience. Misleading, sure, but enough to bring in a decent audience with a 2500 theatre count.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:30 PM
I have a hunch there will be a review with the title "these old dogs need to be put to sleep" regarding Old Dogs.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Remember what Blart did, i'm almost positive Old Dogs will attract almost the same audience.

It looks genuinely infantile and i know what i'm getting, so reviews mean nothing when it comes to a film like this, i know it will be loathed by mainstream critics.

Still can't get the wild penguins out of my head, oh JT, you have sunken so far as to get attacked by violent penguins, fekkin funny as hell.

I'll have to see if the Road is playing near me, that's one i definitely want to see on the big screen, it would be a nice double feature with OD, a bit of post apocalyptic fare followed up with a brainless, mindless, sight gag infested comedy with two actors who should know better
Old 11-24-2009, 06:16 PM
I want to see both Precious and The Road at some point soon. Talk about an emotionally draining 1-2 punch.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc5145 View Post
I want to see both Precious and The Road at some point soon. Talk about an emotionally draining 1-2 punch.
I may actually be seeing those back to back this Saturday. Sunday will be a recovery day.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I may actually be seeing those back to back this Saturday. Sunday will be a recovery day.
Have a therapist on stand-by, in case.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
Ninja is a curious time to release a film such as this, i think it looks good, but Xgiving weekend, i don't know how many people will want to see someone breaking bones after they eat a turkey leg down to the bone.
I'll watch it.

Need some blood soaked carnage.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc5145 View Post
Add Old Dogs to the list and you'll have a REALLY depressing day!
Old 11-25-2009, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Add Old Dogs to the list and you'll have a REALLY depressing day!
I think he'd hang himself by then with the licorice.