3. The Book of Eli- $18 million
4. The Tooth Fairy- $14.5 million
5. The Lovely Bones- $8.8 million
6. Sherlock Holmes- $7.2 million
7. Extraordinary Measures- $7 million
8. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel- $6.5 million
9. It's Complicated- $6.2 million
10. The Spy Next Door- $4.8 million

15.9% drop for Avatar. It's not slowing down at all. Surprised that the dreadful looking Legion actually did decently, but it will definitely have a massive drop next weekend. The Book of Eli is doing quite well. The Tooth Fairy picked it up a bit after the weak Friday, but still a disappointing number. The Lovely Bones is doing alright considering the backlash, although it still has a ways to go before it makes its $65 million budget back. Sherlock Holmes is nearing the $200 million mark. Extraordinary Measures did terribly, and rightly so, it looks horrid. The Squeakquel passed the $200 million mark. It's Complicated is a couple million away from the $100 million mark. The Spy Next Door is a bomb.

Last edited by Bourne101; 01-24-2010 at 11:42 AM..
Old 01-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Avatar just keeps on chugging, just freaking crazy. Sadly Legion, and The Tooth Fairy did fairly well.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:59 AM
What was that people were saying about it not overtaking Batman a little while ago?
Old 01-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSimen View Post
What was that people were saying about it not overtaking Batman a little while ago?

and it's very close to overtaking Titanic on the worldwide BO soon
Old 01-24-2010, 01:01 PM
I can't believe the worldwide jump this weekend. Any day now Avatar will be the WW champ.

Any guesses on when Avatar will overtake Titanic?

My guess is Feb 5th.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Holy shit guys!

Just read the latest number at BoxOfficeMojo...AVATAR is only $6 million from topping TITANIC as the highest grossing film of all time. It's gonna beat TITANIC with ease. It just beat THE DARK KNIGHT for domestic gross.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Extraordinary Measures

Legion
Old 01-24-2010, 03:26 PM
If Avatar tops Titanic for all-time domestic gross that would be impressive (looks very likely), but Titanic is probably still the real champ if you factor in inflation on ticket prices and big movies are released onto like close to 3,600+ screens across the USA now in the widest release. Still Cameron made an expensive movie, believed in his vision and it returned a profit and that is great for him and the cast, crew of this film.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Inflation doesn't really mean shit. There are many other factors that counter inflation.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Gone with the Wind is the #1 movie all-time after adjusting for inflation.

How often do you hear it being regarded as the #1 movie of all time?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick621 View Post
If Avatar tops Titanic for all-time domestic gross that would be impressive (looks very likely), but Titanic is probably still the real champ if you factor in inflation on ticket prices and big movies are released onto like close to 3,600+ screens across the USA now in the widest release. Still Cameron made an expensive movie, believed in his vision and it returned a profit and that is great for him and the cast, crew of this film.
If you factor in inflation and ticket prices, Titanic isn't even the champ itself.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:02 PM
It will be #1 by this time tomorrow to be honest. If you take into account common sense since obviously worldwide numbers won't be released like they are for US numbers.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick621 View Post
ERRONEOUS! ERRONEOUS! I am pulling out my "ERRONEOUS" card. I am with Bourne. Inflation doesn't really mean shit! Saying Gone with the Wind is #1 is like staying shows from the 50's with 75%- 85% market share are #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Inflation doesn't really mean shit. There are many other factors that counter inflation.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:57 PM
Extraordinary Measures $7M

CBS Films should have just stuck to showing this on...CBS

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

Last edited by MisterChristian; 01-24-2010 at 11:21 PM..
Old 01-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
ERRONEOUS! ERRONEOUS! I am pulling out my "ERRONEOUS" card. I am with Bourne. Inflation doesn't really mean shit! Saying Gone with the Wind is #1 is like staying shows from the 50's with 75%- 85% market share are #1.
Well, you could go straight by number of tickets sold.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adj...st_yr=1&p=.htm

Gone With the Wind is still way out in front, and you cant argue much past that.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
Gone With the Wind is still way out in front, and you cant argue much past that.
Except that they didn't have TV, video games, and the Internet to compete with. They had nothing better to do than to see the same movie over and over.

I think Avatar will top 700 million at this rate. Not that I really get it. I thought it was good, but that's all. Right now, though, I think the hype is feeding itself. Every week there is a news story about how much money it is making, so anyone who hasn't seen it will go "Gee, I guess I should check it out and see what the fuss is about."

I don't think that's specific to this movie, either. I'm sure The Dark Knight and Titanic had similar boosts to their box office just out of curiosity to see a big hit movie.

And now I hope this puts to rest once and for all the notion that Titanic only made it's money because of "14 year old girls." Avatar isn't making it's money off of 14 year old boys - it's making money off over every demographic in the book - as did Titanic.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:50 AM
How do you know the majority of the people watching this multiple times aren't 12 to 15 yo boys.

There really is no way to know, even a random sample of one theater and showing wouldn't give you the whole story.

I think it is safe to say, the majority of the people that saw Titanic a quillion times( i feel bad for them) were girls in their early teens who wanted to see Dicaprio and some half baked love story with nice special effects. I don't think they were the only that were watching it multiple times, but i do believe they were the majority.

With Avatar i wouldn't be surprised if boys in their early teens are the ones driving the consistent returns. I really couldn't say, but i don't see grampa numbnuts watching this thing 4 or five times in the theater.

There's another thing that's helping Avatar, the utter lack of any competition, can't overlook the uninspired selection of films out there( on the blockbuster spectacle front), but it would have made money anyway, it's just that it may not have made as much if it had some competition. It's a time slot hit. Nah i'm kidding about that.

I'm not surprised about the Titanic thing, i called 2 billion awhile ago, it was obvious once it flew to 1.3 bil, Titanic's days were numbered, domestic and worldwide.

600 was a given but with small drops and yet another boost from awards season, it's hitting 700.

It should be out for another 3 months at least, that's more than enough time to cross 700. It won't even need that much time to do that, another month should suffice, probably less than that.

One good thing, and this is the last time i'll mention it, at least an overblown love story won't be number one anymore. Titanic is nothing more than a 200 million dollar chick flick with some fancy visuals, it was a chore to sit through. The visual effects don't hold up anymore, even if the set design is still fantastic
Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 AM
I think what is propelling Avatar to big business is most obviously the fact that it appeals to all demographics. At work alone, I heard from all sexes from all age groups who went to it and loved it. I talked to a lady I work with who is 40. She didn't want to go to it at all, but her husband dragged her and her kids to it. Her kids also didn't want to go. They all loved it. I realize this might be an isolated incident. But I doubt it. I honestly believe this movie just appeals to everyone. 14 year old geeks as well. This movie just has it all. Love story, awesome 3D, action, a well told story, good acting.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjohng View Post
I think what is propelling Avatar to big business is most obviously the fact that it appeals to all demographics. At work alone, I heard from all sexes from all age groups who went to it and loved it. I talked to a lady I work with who is 40. She didn't want to go to it at all, but her husband dragged her and her kids to it. Her kids also didn't want to go. They all loved it. I realize this might be an isolated incident. But I doubt it. I honestly believe this movie just appeals to everyone. 14 year old geeks as well. This movie just has it all. Love story, awesome 3D, action, a well told story, good acting.
Exactly, man. Avatar has hit some kind of universal chord. I saw it with my nerdy friends (who loved it) and then dragged my wife to see it. She had no interest in it whatsoever, and came out of the theater saying it was the best movie she's ever seen.

I think it's evident that this is not a case of teenage girls or boys going over and over again to see it like The Dark Knight or Titanic. This is a true hit...one we wont see again for a very long time.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Except that they didn't have TV, video games, and the Internet to compete with. They had nothing better to do than to see the same movie over and over.
Oh, that old chestnut. You know what's great about that arguement, there's absolutely no way to prove or disprove it.

Of course they had better stuff to do, they just didnt have tv, video games and the internet. Life DID exist before those things.

Nevertheless, I fail to see how that affects a movie's numbers. When you buy a ticket and youre in the theater, those "other things" no longer factor in.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:03 PM
^It's not about that, it's about the variety... The glut of entertainment people had access to. This is why old shows had such huge ratings shares. This will never happen again because of the variety of entertainment we have at our disposal. There's so much more competition these days.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Yup he's right..fact. Back then they had movie theaters that played movies for years. Now people can download the movies, rent them, wait for dvd to buy, blu-ray, wait for it to show up on cable and then wait for it on tnt. There are so many options for movies now some people don't even go to the theaters. EVEN if it is a movie they really want to see.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
Well, you could go straight by number of tickets sold.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adj...st_yr=1&p=.htm

I am sorry, but whenever I pull out the ERRONEOUS card, that here by ends any and all disagreements in opinion. It has been written that way by Hollywood and no one (not even Joblo himself) can unwrite it. I was lucky enough to get the name and with it comes the power. If you disagree, take it up with the king, Vince Vaughn.

With great power, comes great responsibility.

Tickets matter not. Money rules the day.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjohng View Post
I think what is propelling Avatar to big business is most obviously the fact that it appeals to all demographics.
Bingo. Everyone and everything has seen this film or wants to see this film. Kids, teens, senior citizens, serial killers, ewoks, iguanas, single celled organisms and Mexicans are all seeing this film in droves. Avatar is a fucking phenomenon. Cant be stopped.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Bingo. Everyone and everything has seen this film or wants to see this film. Kids, teens, senior citizens, serial killers, ewoks, iguanas, single celled organisms and Mexicans are all seeing this film in droves. Avatar is a fucking phenomenon. Cant be stopped.
What I would like to know is how the single celled organisms put on the 3D glasses and where they are getting the money to get it.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
What I would like to know is how the single celled organisms put on the 3D glasses and where they are getting the money to get it.
Those sneaky little bastards are so small they just sneak into the theaters.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:21 PM
whats pushing it over the edge is the higher ticket prices for the 3d/imax screens, but then again, as my friend pointed out, it's more of an achievement in this day and age with all the other modes of entertainment available and the possibility to download it, so to have this many people make the trip to see it in theaters despite all the other options is still impressive
Old 01-26-2010, 01:39 PM
well...there's a new leader on the worldwide box office now
Old 01-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Yup Avatar has officially been announced as the #1 movie grossing of all time for world wide.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Congrats to AVATAR. I was happy to be part of that. I took my girlfriend to see it last night (3rd time for me). Before the movie she claimed that I was "dragging" her to it. After the movie, she smiled and said it was one of her favorite movies now lol.

Kudos to Cameron!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm thinking a 4th viewing this next weekend. Can't wait. Congratulations to Avatar for making all the haters eat their damn words!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:51 PM
I thought both domestic and worldwide totals would never be beaten, congrats to Avatar and Jimmy Cameron and the rest of the crew. I'm not saying Avatar is his best work, but Cameron is truly a master of his craft, an absolutely great filmmaker and a visionary.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:29 AM
Quote:
I'm thinking a 4th viewing this next weekend. Can't wait. Congratulations to Avatar for making all the haters eat their damn words!
yeah, let them take their hate and shove it up their asses.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdraven View Post
yeah, let them take their hate and shove it up their asses.
Sounds good to me.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Congratulations to Avatar for making all the haters eat their damn words!
How so?
Old 01-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
How so?
In every single way possible.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
How so?
Just like Titanic, many pundits were predicting that, as a big, bloated epic with what is the largest budget of any movie so far up to its release that nobody saw and nobody really knew what it was about or what it was like - Avatar had a pretty slim chance of being a success. Many were predicting that it would never hit $300 million without recognizable stars or established franchise material, especially after the lukewarm reception of the first trailer. But Cameron has proved, for the second time in history, that he knows something that none of us know. He has the formula that no other director has. And now, he has beat his own record set by Titanic that NOBODY thought any movie would ever be able to beat. So, kudos!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:29 PM
This seems a little, well, anticlimactic.

When Titanic set the record, it took it several months. It became something of a spectacle to see it stay at number one for 14 weeks straight. It's opening weekend was relatively small compared to Avatar ($27 million vs $75 million), but it just kept chugging along, slowly but surely amassing a huge box office total.

Avatar did all that in about a month. It's happened so fast that it doesn't even seem real.

Oh well. I personally thought Titanic's record would never be broken.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:09 PM
i didn't think Titanic's record would be broken either... but for it to be broken by the VERY NEXT film made by the EXACT SAME director... that is something, just fucking wow! James Cameron is a fuckin genius... even though my personal favorite flick he has made is Terminator 2... (i do LOVE both Titanic and Avatar)... Cameron is the man! That is just insane for that man to have the 2 highest grossing movies of all time!
Old 01-28-2010, 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
This seems a little, well, anticlimactic.

When Titanic set the record, it took it several months. It became something of a spectacle to see it stay at number one for 14 weeks straight. It's opening weekend was relatively small compared to Avatar ($27 million vs $75 million), but it just kept chugging along, slowly but surely amassing a huge box office total.

Avatar did all that in about a month. It's happened so fast that it doesn't even seem real.

Oh well. I personally thought Titanic's record would never be broken.
While this is true, it should be emphasized that Avatar is STILL chugging on, has been #1 at the box office for 5 weeks in a row now (sure, not quite Titanic's 14, but that's still incredible), and is still making more every weekend than Titanic has - in fact, this coming weekend it will probably drop down to what was Titanic's HIGHEST grossing weekend, and Avatar is STILL making more every weekend than many movies make on their FIRST weekend. The point is, yes all this has happened very fast - but the phenomenon that is Avatar is not over yet, and while it won't make it through to July like Titanic did, it will still stay around for quite a few more months making $10 mil, $7 mil, $5 mil weekends for many months to come before completely dying out.