Old 01-28-2006, 11:33 AM
color me surprised. Big Momma's House 2 with over 8 million? what's wrong with america? and this is not as surprising but surprising nonetheless: undeworld dropped liked a log.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Sequels are the big thing. People don't care how bad they look, they still see 'em. Ugh.

U:E dropped big time, which isn't that much of a surprise.

Narnia is still hanging on. It should leave the top ten by next weekend, but it put up a good fight for coming close to two months.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:43 PM
U:E cost $50 million, according to IMDB. If it performs like the first one (multiplier of only 2.4), it will make about $65 million. Considering the huge Friday to Friday drop (69%), that seems highly likely. $65 million doesn't even cover the cost of production and P&A (at least $75-$80 million). I suppose it will do well on DVD though, and that will be enough to get a third made.

The numbers for BMH2 are to be expected. People loved the first one and the trailers connected well with the target audience. Lawrence can really open movies like this.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Really? I think it looked incredibly stupid and I liked the first one a lot.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:47 PM
The first one made a lot of money, hence a sequel. If it had bombed, nobody would've made part douche, er, two.

It still looks bad, but humor is certainly subjective, and people did somehow find the first one to be funny.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Weekend Estimates (boxofficemojo.com)

1. Big Momma's House Two - 28 million
2. Nanny McPhee - 14.1 million
3. Underworld: Evolution - 11.1 million
4. Annapolis - 7.7 million
5. Hoodwinked - 7.4 million
6. Brokeback Mountain - 6.4 million
7. Glory Road - 5.2 million
8. Last Holiday - 4.8 million
9. The Chronicles of Narnia - 4.4 million
10. The Matador - 3.8 million
Old 01-29-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm going to kill myself. This is the end of movies now. Big Momma's house made almost 30 mil opening weekend. Here comes Big Momma's House 3 now.

Just seeing half of this weekend box office list makes me puke.

There are going to be 44 Sequels this year alone. and 46 came out last year. They way the box office is treating sequels so far, you can expect another 45 sequels next year too.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! -darth
Old 01-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by darkface
I'm going to kill myself. This is the end of movies now. Big Momma's house made almost 30 mil opening weekend. Here comes Big Momma's House 3 now.

Just seeing half of this weekend box office list makes me puke.

There are going to be 44 Sequels this year alone. and 46 came out last year. They way the box office is treating sequels so far, you can expect another 45 sequels next year too.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! -darth
This coming from someone with two sequels listed on his favorite movie.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:06 PM
What's sad is that Big Mama pulls in close to 30 million, but The New World has disappeared... there's something wrong with that.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazy Boy

1. Big Momma's House Two - 28 million
God I hate this country.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:58 PM
No surprise about Big fat suit coming in number one , but i dint think it would take in that much . Mindless comedies can still make money , i havent seen a good one in awhile though , and this one looks mildly amusing , nothing more . I actually like Martin Lawrence in some movies , he can be funny when he wants to be , but he's much too sporadic , and i feel his best work was on the television show Martin .

Hoodwinked is hanging in there nicely . Underworld dropped harder than Pauly Shore's career after Son in Law , Brokebitch Hill is still luring in the curious ( should get a little boost next weekend with the Sag awards ) , Annapolis dint do too much , and The Chronicles of Peter Jackson is still in the top ten , a month and a half after it's release . That's funny because that movie would have never existed without PJ , and his King Kong is forgotten already . No doubt what people really want from him is the Hobbit , so he can show everybody how fantasy is done again . Oh yeah , i couldnt for the life of me watch two hours of Emma Thompson in that grotesque getup in Mcphee , i applaud the brave souls who did .

There is one way to sum up another weak top ten showing , ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz . When are the good movies coming ? Yeah , there's been a couple of excellent ones lately , but nothing to get excited about , save for King Kong .
Old 01-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Wow. A lot of people are really angry about Big Momma's House 2. But is it really any worse than, say, Underworld: Evolution? According to the critics it isn't. Both rate less than 4 out of 10 at rottentomatoes, and both are less than 15% fresh (they're only 7% fresh with cream of the crop critics). In addition, I would bet that the target audience for BMH2 likes the movie just as much as the target audience for U:E does. So it doesn't make much sense to be so pissed off about the box office success of BMH2 and not U:E. Is one really any more necessary than the other? And actually BMH was a lot more financially successful than Underworld, so of course it is going to have a sequel. So you have to be upset about both or neither. You can't have it both ways.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:08 PM
well i just got back U:E and thoroughly enjoyed it (7/10), so madsen, your post really put things into perspective. That a very good point, although i disagree with the last line, mostly cause i am biased and i think big momma's house 2 looks atrocious. Seriously though, excellent post.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Hey I'm with you (and others). I think it looks awful as well and I have no plans to ever see it.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:35 PM
I think Mamma 2 looks awful also.
I wonder how When A Stranger Calls will do next week. It doesn't look to good.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:48 PM
I think when a stranger calls is going to open at number one. I feel like i've been seeing ads for it since december. the marketing team has been doing a great job getting awareness up in the teen demographic, IMO.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:53 PM
When a Stranger Calls should not have any trouble opening at number one. It has no real competition as far as new releases go, and Big Momma's House 2 will probably drop around 50%. $15 million should be enough to be number one for the weekend. I don't think it's screening for critics. I know for sure that they aren't screening it for the press where I live. It looks pretty damn awful.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Compared to the original When a Stranger Calls looks outright brilliant! I guess horror movies do well enough though it would be a pleasant surprise for me if Something New were to open on top since it looks much better.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadsenOMC
I don't think it's screening for critics. I know for sure that they aren't screening it for the press where I live. It looks pretty damn awful.
I don't think Sony screen any of their movies for the pree anymore.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:42 PM
I agree , Stranger should easily phone in a number one spot next weekend to the ring of 25 mil or so . Allright , i can't use puns effectively , but you get the hint . It should do well because it has a somewhat creepy premise ( creepy for teens ) , and it has a cute chick in the lead , and like Madsen said , what esle is out there ? Nothing at all really .
Old 01-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dellamorte dellamore
and it has a cute chick in the lead
Cute but inert actress Camilla Belle, whose blandness brought down all who surrounded her in The Ballad of Jack and Rose.

I've said it before, but the original film, beyond the "calls are coming from inside the house" line, was never that good, and the remake looks like a straight to video rental. But, it's being marketed well, and teens and young people will flock like birds.

Last edited by Lazy Boy; 01-29-2006 at 06:52 PM..
Old 01-29-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm not saying it will be good , just saying it should make some decent money opening weekend , and one of the reasons why is because of the cute chick . Not exactly a tart , but sweet and innocent , a cliched antithesis to the evil , older man .
Old 01-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazy Boy

I've said it before, but the original film, beyond the "calls are coming from inside the house" line, was never that good, and the remake looks like a straight to video rental. But, it's being marketed well, and teens and young people will flock like birds.
You're right, other than the first 15-20 minutes, the original is a pretty weak flick, which makes the idea of a remake not as ridiculous as it usually is. Too bad it looks so dumb. But, teens seem to eat up the trailer whenever I see it in a theater, and like someone else pointed out, the trailer has been in front of a lot movies these past few months. Should do very well, and it doesn't have to make all that much because the budget was apparently pretty low.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Oh, god even if the movie is good I hope there is no sequal. Even though there is a sequal to the original (although I think it was a cable movie if I remember correctly).
Old 01-30-2006, 12:17 AM
God, every fucking week it is you guys going "OMG, THE APOCOLYPSE IS COMING!!! BIG MOMMA'S HOUSE 2 GOT 30 MILLON!!!"
"THE NEW WORLD DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!!!"

Ok, Let's think about it . The New World is a limited movie and Big Momma 2 is like in 3,000 cinemas or something like that. So, tell me what people will see more? Big Momma 2 because it is in more cinemas and more convient. Some moviegoers aren't as dedicated as we are in finding limited releases and journeying out to see them.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:35 AM
I agree. It's pointless to get angry when a movie like Big Momma's House 2 does well. I mean, sure, everyone wants the movies they like to do well and the movies don't like to do poorly, but you shouldn't get worked up about it.

And I'm actually glad The New World didn't make the top 10. I thought the movie was boring as hell. I still want Malik to make movies, but god I hope his next movie is more like The Thin Red Line (as in great) and less like The New World (which, well, to be quite brutally honest, sucked).
Old 01-30-2006, 08:51 AM
Yes, even if Hollywood are the biggest greedest bastards alive, they still need to make money for what we all love, movies.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by screamer581
God I hate this country.
I sympathize.

Not so much the Country I hate, but the majority who make up the Country that propelled this to not only #1, but the money it made.

Joe Walmart marches on.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:46 AM
Big momma is one of the reasons coke snorting executives still have jobs and one of the reasons i rarely go to the cinema anymore , it's pure garbage that should have gone straight to video where it belongs , and where you can watch while mortally drunk .

Oh well , some people are buying new houses because of it's success and they are also upgrading their current mistresses .
Old 02-03-2006, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dellamorte dellamore
Big momma is one of the reasons coke snorting executives still have jobs and one of the reasons i rarely go to the cinema anymore , it's pure garbage that should have gone straight to video where it belongs , and where you can watch while mortally drunk .

Oh well , some people are buying new houses because of it's success and they are also upgrading their current mistresses .
Once again, is it any worse than any other unnecessary sequel made these days? Are the reasons for its existence any different? I assume you feel the same way about Underworld:Evolution. Yes, BMH2 looks awful, but I find it strange that so many have singled it out. It's January, for one thing, and bad sequels are a dime a dozen.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Friday's Estimates (showbizdata):

1) WHEN A STRANGER CALLS - $9.4 million
2) BIG MOMMA'S HOUSE - $2.4 million
3) NANNY MCPHEE - $2.4 million
4) BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN - $2 million
5) SOMETHING NEW - $1.8 million
6) UNDERWORLD: EVOLUTION - $1.7 million
7) ANNAPOLIS - $1.3 million
8) HOODWINKED! - $1.2 million
9) WALK THE LINE - $1.1 million
10) GLORY ROAD - $1 million
Old 02-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Well, When A Stranger Calls owned all the other movies because the damn teens.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by thedudeman69
It's not like it opened agains't anything else really. I bet it will drop big time.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:10 PM
the first time I saw the commercial for When a Stranger Calls, I honestl thought it was a Geico commercial. I was waiting for the cop to say "We didnt trace the call.....but I did save a bunch of money on my car insurance" Something about the trailer and tv spots, that movie doesnt look official, it looks like a short or something.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:13 PM
I knew Stranger would make alot this weekend, I KNEW IT!...

..And Raul Duke, why do you have a picture of my wife as a avatar?...
Old 02-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Aren't you a teen? LOL ;-)

- Benz
Old 02-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Benz
Aren't you a teen? LOL ;-)

- Benz

I am smarter than the average teen.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Weekend Estimates (boxofficemojo):

1) WHEN A STRANGER CALLS - $22 million
2) BIG MOMMA'S HOUSE 2 - $13.35 million
3) NANNY MCPHEE - $9.9 million
4) BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN - $5.679 million
5) HOODWINKED - $5.3 million
6) UNDERWORLD: EVOLUTION - $5.1 million
7) SOMETHING NEW - $5 million
8) ANNAPOLIS - $3.476 million
9) WALK THE LINE - $3.425 million
10) GLORY ROAD - $3 million
Old 02-05-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I am smarter than the average bear.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm not surprised by Stranger's strong showing, it's marketing team did a great job penetrating the teen demographic. Too bad just about everyone (critics and audiences alike) said this movie sucks the big one. It really did look awful though, IMO. I haven't seen her in Chumscrubber but Camille Belle looks absolutely atrocious in the previews.