Old 05-26-2008, 10:51 PM
I thought it would have taken in just a bit more , i thought it was going to break the 4 day record , but it came close . World's End finished with $139,802,190 for the four day last Memorial day weekend Indy finished with $126,040,000 .

These numbers are not a surprise , they were fully expected , it would have been surprising if it didn't post numbers like this . If it follows about the same trajectory as World's End , like it seems to be doing , it could finish close to 900 mil worldwide . That film seemed to have also divided people in relation to it's entertainment value and quality .

Worldwide and domestic it doesn't seem as if anything will beat it at this point , but i'm still hoping Batman can pull something out his cape .
Old 05-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe1985 View Post
Fanboys went to see it this weekend, and I don't see many repeat viewings. It will probably do around $30-40 million next weekend, then keep falling with $5-10 million after that. I will say a $250-300 million domestic B.O. take.

Sex and the City will probably do around $20-40 million. The audiences are too different for that and Indy to have any affect on Indy.
Dude, it's fifth day (Monday) was larger than its opening. This hasn't happened in years for a film of this size. It's not dropping 60-70%. I'll even start wagering for a sub-45% drop.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lyrik View Post
Dude, it's fifth day (Monday) was larger than its opening. This hasn't happened in years for a film of this size. It's not dropping 60-70%. I'll even start wagering for a sub-45% drop.

Bingo. As much as fanboys may complain about this movie, the general audience has been eating it up. Word of mouth is obviously good, and the film'll continue to make good, steady income for days to come.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:14 AM
I just want people to continue to see it, and families to continue to go.. all summer long. Hopefully, itll make bank, and somehow, someway, well get a fifth Indy movie with Harrison Ford. Even tho it looks like Spielberg is booked and I can't imagine him coming back for a fifth one... unless he produces. I think Harrison Ford is in such good shape that he could easily do another one.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:21 AM
LOL , it's dropping 70 percent , oh man that's even funnier than the cgi that was used in the movie . And it will finish with about 250 mil , LOFL , it will be well past 200 already by the end of next weekend , how the heck is it only finishing with 250 domestic total . 300 mil is a lock now , it will sail past that mark too .

I don't see estrogen in the city making a dent in it's box office , that's a whole other audience altogether . The people that are going to see that prob went to go see Indy with their bfs , hubbies and kids already , or whoever , but the film is still going to have some serious momentum going into the second weekend . Ironman dropped to about 50 mil second weekend , Indy should drop to about 56 . It's cleaning up overseas also , should flirt with 900 mil overall .
Old 05-28-2008, 09:15 AM
For a lot of people, mostly women, Sex and the City is an event movie. They want to see it just as badly as many guys wanted to see 300 or Transformers. It should have no trouble making at least $40 million this weekend.

The Strangers will have a tough time hitting double digits. If it doesn't hit at least $10 million, you can't blame the marketing. For the last few weeks I've been seeing TV spots non-stop, and it's been advertised all over the Web as well. But typically people don't want to see movies like this during the summer, even if they are good. Many people who want to see it and believe it looks good will wait for DVD, just because they'd rather see lighter fare in theaters this time of year.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:21 AM
So...Indy beat Iron Man?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
So...Indy beat Iron Man?
Yes. The final three day total for Iron Man is $98.6 million. Indy's final three day is $100 million.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post

I don't see estrogen in the city making a dent in it's box office , that's a whole other audience altogether . The people that are going to see that prob went to go see Indy with their bfs , hubbies and kids already , or whoever
I have to respectfully disagree with this. Although the makeup of the core audience is different, I'm sure that Indy will still lose a few million over the weekend to guys who want to see it and haven't yet, but get dragged into SATC instead.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:54 AM
I am here to say without a doubt and couldnt care less if I generalize..that ANY dude who allows himself to have his girlfriend (OR WIFE) drag his ass to the show to see Sex and The City, whether he wants to see Indy or not, needs to turn in his MAN CREDENTIALS - ASAP

And I'm a dude who freakin' LOVES "TITANIC"
Old 05-30-2008, 03:37 PM
SATC cracked the top 10 for all-time Internet ticket sales.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:41 PM
The MovieTickets.com Top 10 Pre-Sale List of All-Time
1. "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith"
2. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"
3. "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
4. "Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour"
5. "The Matrix Reloaded"
6. "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End"
7. "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"
8. "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones"
9. "The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers"
10. "Sex and the City: The Movie"
Old 05-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadsenOMC View Post
SATC cracked the top 10 for all-time Internet ticket sales.

wow. what has it sold less and/or more than?
Old 05-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Maybe it will make more than 40 mil for the weekend . Then again that Miley concert movie is higher on that list , and that one made around 30 mil or so opening weekend , i think . Who knows .
Old 05-30-2008, 03:58 PM
It's going to make more than $40 million this weekend. A lot more.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Maybe it will make more than 40 mil for the weekend . Then again that Miley concert movie is higher on that list , and that one made around 30 mil or so opening weekend , i think . Who knows .
That Miley concert also was only in 683 theatres vs. Sex and the City's 3,285.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Prob around 65 mil , we'll see how accurate a gage presales are . The average for the films on that list is about 65 - 70 , thereabouts .

I know what you're hoping for , 100 mil plus , it ain't happening , not opening weekend . Maybe worldwide , but not domestic . It should hang around and top out close to 200 mil .
Old 05-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Personally, I'm not hoping for anything. I may watch this on HBO one day but I'm not dying to see it. Still, it's going to have a very impressive opening weekend.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm going to change my original prediction from $70 to at least $80 million. Hell, maybe I might go to $90 million.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Sex and the City will make about 70 million MAYBE, but I think more realistically 50-60.. and then sink like a fucking rock after that. After all the SaTC fans see it opening weekend, who's gonna see it then?
Old 05-30-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say $70 million. It made $3 million from midnight showings.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:29 PM
It's not surprising , but i was thinking 40 mil . I don't see it dropping like a rock though , this is Devil's wear Prada territory , it will hang around for awhile .
Old 05-31-2008, 06:24 AM
From Deadline Hollywood Daily:

'Sex' Sell-Out & Blow-Out! Could Go As High As $28M Friday, $75M Weekend

11 PM UPDATE: Friday's Sex And The City opened with great foreplay. Really early box office numbers could be as high as $26 million to $28 million and for the weekend $65 million to $75 million. That's stunning the Hollywood pros. "It could reach or exceed the high end if the final West Coast numbers match the East Coast's. Those totals could be higher. Huge," one rival studio exec exclaimed to me. "It's a true sensation. People thought it would do well. But nothing like this. The top end expected was $40M." Still, some experts wonder if this is a front-loaded phenomenon and the numbers won't hold on Saturday. But Sex And The City will certainly beat last weekend's No. 1 blockbuster, Paramount's Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, which made $12M today and should finish by Sunday around $37M-$39M: that's -60%, but last Friday kicked off Memorial Weekend.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:36 AM
Friday Estimates

1. Sex and the City- $26.1 million
2. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull- $12.3 million
3. The Strangers- $7.6 million
4. Iron Man- $3.8 million
5. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian- $3.4 million
6. What Happens in Vegas- $2.2 million
7. Baby Mama- $715,000
8. Made of Honor- $635,000
9. Speed Racer- $500,000
10. Forgetting Sarah Marshall- $310,000

Sex and the City kicked all kinds of ass and should make around $75 million. Indiana Jones dropped a bit, but should still make in the mid-high 40s which is good considering it had 5 days last weekend to do a shit load of damage. The Strangers surprised the fuck out of everyone (even myself, I said it would make $13 million), and I'm glad that an R-rated horror flick besides Saw could actually make a dent in the box-office! It should finish with $18-$19 million!

Last edited by Bourne101; 05-31-2008 at 02:09 PM..
Old 05-31-2008, 09:32 AM
It's impressive that Sex and the City is doing so well considering that its audience is mostly women. Women audiences are making (somewhat) of a comeback with Devil Wears Prada not too long ago and now this.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Two humongous lines last night outside the theater, filled with mainly women + several showtimes sold out = damn right, SATC is a huge event. Wow, that's a great number.

The Strangers was sold out everywhere I went (had to change plans and see it today instead of yesterday ) so interest was high on both ends of the spectrum, chick flick and horror flick.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:12 PM
Kudos to the marketing job done for The Strangers. It was obviously effective and got people to see a type of movie usually ignored this time of year. That's a very strong opening day. Even if it drops fast, like most horror does, it was cheap to make and will turn a healthy profit.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
It's impressive that Sex and the City is doing so well considering that its audience is mostly women. Women audiences are making (somewhat) of a comeback with Devil Wears Prada not too long ago and now this.
The audience is definitely there. Many of them are being a little more choosy I think. That's why this & Prada & 27 Dresses did so well, while something like Made of Honor doesn't.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Kudos to the marketing job done for The Strangers. It was obviously effective and got people to see a type of movie usually ignored this time of year. That's a very strong opening day. Even if it drops fast, like most horror does, it was cheap to make and will turn a healthy profit.
I think the counterprogramming (against Sex & the City) helped as well. Those who didn't want to see that movie, went with the horror. Good call on the release date.

Quote:
The audience is definitely there. Many of them are being a little more choosy I think. That's why this & Prada & 27 Dresses did so well, while something like Made of Honor doesn't.
Aye.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
I think the counterprogramming (against Sex & the City) helped as well. Those who didn't want to see that movie, went with the horror. Good call on the release date.
No doubt. I had reservations about the release date because lately R-rated horror in the summer is either unpopular or unheard of. But I was wrong. They sold it extremely well, making it an easy choice for viewers who love the genre and/or didn't want to see SATC.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:46 PM
The Friday-to-Friday drop for Indy is pretty steep and not very good. We'll see how it does on Saturday and Sunday.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:50 PM
-Well I certainly undershot SATC. I said it would do 55, but it's looking like it will do around 75 now.

-Indy's looking like it could take a steep drop but that's to be expected with the long weekend last weekend.

-The Strangers kicked ass. A good Saturday could put it at 20 million for the weekend.

-Iron Man is still holding well. Narnia isn't, looking at another steep drop.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:02 PM
Quote:
The Friday-to-Friday drop for Indy is pretty steep and not very good. We'll see how it does on Saturday and Sunday.
No, and it gets worse, Box Office Mojo now has it at just $12.2 million for Friday. I think it could see a nice Sat-Sun boost and could havve about $40 million for the weekend. It's going to be about a 60% drop. Not good, but I would have guessed a drop in the 50-55% range anyway (actually I did in the Predictions thread). The weekend after Memorial Day often sees some pretty big drops. I still see Indy making about $300 million but I no longer know if it's going to be north or south of that. Pirates: AWE had a 63% drop this weekend last year and still made it past that milestone.

Anyway, the real story is Sex and the City. I expected big and that's enormous. I'm really thinking that's it's gonna be very frontloaded though. I get a feeling every fan of the show got together with their 8 girlfriends and rushed out last night, and it might drop over Sat-Sun. I think it will be around $65-70 million. Wow, girl power.

And The Strangers could take in around $18 million, or about double what I predicted. Like Madsen says, this means the marketing campaign worked. They were some damn creepy trailers, and people took the bait. That might bode well for The Happening in two weeks. Anyway, awesome for this movie.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:57 PM
Hell yes!

Im happy The Stangers made about twice what i thought it would.

Sex and the City actualy made about what i thought it would, i just thought The Stangers woulg get eaten up and forgotten in the rush.

As Madsen pointed out, exellent counterprogramming.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:10 PM
Here are the updated estimates.

Friday Estimates

1. Sex and the City- $26.1 million
2. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull- $12.3 million
3. The Strangers- $7.6 million
4. Iron Man- $3.8 million
5. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian- $3.4 million
6. What Happens in Vegas- $2.2 million
7. Baby Mama- $715,000
8. Made of Honor- $635,000
9. Speed Racer- $500,000
10. Forgetting Sarah Marshall- $310,000

Sex and Indy made a little less than early estimates, but The Strangers (which by the way is fucking great!) kicked mucho ass and could possibly make $20 million this weekend! That's twice its budget!
Old 05-31-2008, 02:18 PM
LOL , Indy must feel so ashamed , Sexpots in the City is going to knock it out of the top spot in only it's second weekend . Man , that's embarrassing . Time for the big fella to hang up his fedora and trade it in for a pair of those shoes they wear on that show .
Old 05-31-2008, 02:22 PM
Quote:
LOL , Indy must feel so ashamed , Sexpots in the City is going to knock it out of the top spot in only it's second weekend . Man , that's embarrassing . Time for the big fella to hang up his fedora and trade it in for a pair of those shoes they wear on that show .
Why should it be ashamed? It was expected. The only to repeat at #1 so far this summer is Iron Man and that's probably because nobody wanted to see Speed Racer. As long as it finishes 2nd, I think it'll be just fine.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:23 PM
Dude, do you realize how popular Sex and the City is? It's really no surprise that it's going to top Indy this weekend. For Indy to top it, it would have to have a 25% drop. It's not embarrassing at all. Indy cleaned up the fucking kitchen last weekend and already has $183 million. Considering it had a huge Thursday opening, and a huge Memorial day, that means a shit load of people saw it which would take away a lot of audience for this weekend. If it hadn't opened on Thursday and hadn't had the Memorial day, it would have have a significantly smaller drop.

Although Sex and the City's numbers are higher than most predicted, when you really think about it it's not that surprising.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:38 PM
Still no sense of humor to be found in this thread .

It's not like we have a stake in these box office returns , lol .

Looks like i won't be that far off concerning the weekend opening of SC ( my revised prediction after the midnite showing numbers were released and the internet sales ) , and because of that , i should have surmised that Indy would drop such as it did . It will still cross 200 mil by the end of the weekend , which was obvious after it's opening weekend numbers , and i don't see how it won't cross 300 mil at this point .

Ironman will " struggle " to get there , so it seems , it will probably just miss 300 , 290 sounds about right .

Good for Strangers , nothing spectacular , but excellent , but the numbers still don't make me want to see it in the theaters . Considering what is out there now , it's a nice opening weekend , then again Prom Night took in 20 plus it's opening weekend , so it's not exactly amazing .

Speed racer is still in the top ten somehow
Old 05-31-2008, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Ironman will " struggle " to get there , so it seems , it will probably just miss 300 , 290 sounds about right .
It will cross $300 million.