Old 06-02-2008, 01:43 PM
These days $65 million is low budget for a major studio release. Compare that to the cost of Iron Man, Indy, Speed Racer, etc. It's significantly less.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:43 PM
I couldn't even guess at this point , but the weekday numbers may give us an idea of how well City will hold up . I don't think it's a reach to think Indy can maintain it's hold on the number two spot .

City def appears to have been massively frontloaded , i'm curious to see just how much after next weekend . And yes , Indy gave it a serious run for it's money , considering Indy's friday numbers . If it made just a bit more that day , It could have taken the top spot again .
Old 06-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadsenOMC View Post
These days $65 million is low budget for a major studio release. Compare that to the cost of Iron Man, Indy, Speed Racer, etc. It's significantly less.

Oh of course, but it still seems a little high.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Quote:
why would you? Those movies have more CGI and gigantic built set pieces then 4 chicks in a set piece that was built for them yeaaarrrrsss ago.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:54 PM
The location shooting plus the very generous salaries paid to the four leads means that $65 million sounds about right. Even romantic comedies are expensive these days.

SATC is performing like a horror movie. Superb Friday, then a large drop over the next two days. I'm sure that will continue.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLocke2342 View Post
why would you? Those movies have more CGI and gigantic built set pieces then 4 chicks in a set piece that was built for them yeaaarrrrsss ago.
I just meant that nowadays $65 million is almost low budget for a major studio release. That was my point.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Quote:
I just meant that nowadays $65 million is almost low budget for a major studio release. That was my point.
touche
Old 06-02-2008, 02:28 PM
I wasn't trying to get back at you or anything like that. Just clarifying what I meant.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Manhattan is one of the most expensive cities to film in , from what iv'e read , that's why some studios prefer to film in Canada and use some city there , like Vancouver or something , as a stand in for Nyc .

They do get tax breaks for shooting in NYC , and i'm sure City would have cost even more money without these , but it's still cheaper to film somewhere else . In this case , since the writer always said that Manhattan was a fifth character , they couldn't have made it anywhere else but Nyc . The fans would have went nuts if it was filmed anywhere but there , although it would have prob cut the budget in half .

When they close down a street for filming , i think it's upwards of 100,000 a day , but really i'm just guessing , so you can imagine how the budget can balloon .
Old 06-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Quote:
I wasn't trying to get back at you or anything like that. Just clarifying what I meant.
haha i know. i was saying touche as in, touche, i acknowledged your response and thought it was solid. Not like I was trying to say douche and spelled it wrong with a t.. if.. thats..what you mean??

I'm confused, no more responding for me.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLocke2342 View Post
I for one, think that Indy will hold onto #2 this week, with Kung Fu Panda taking number one, and Sex dropping to #3. That's only because I'm banking on the thought that the hardcore fans already came out to see Sex and the City.. but I could be drastically wrong.. I mean, I did think that Sex would make 70 million.. who knows.
You're right about Kung Fu Panda being #1, because it will, but Zohan would be the favorite for #2. It is making at least $30 million, but will probably make $35-40 million. I agree that Indy will probably be ahead of Sex next weekend.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:04 AM
I think SATC will perform similarly to 8 Mile, which opened to about $51 million and finished with about $116 million domestically. Most of the people who want to see it rushed out to see it right away. I don't see it holding well. The final number for the weekend is $56.8 million (which is still an incredible opening weekend regardless of the quick drop after Friday). I'd guess a final tally of about $130 million total.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't say it's incredible , maybe a bit surprising , maybe great , but incredible is a bit much . It already had a rabid fanbase , and we saw just how rabid by the lengths some people went to try and see the premiere .

If this was a film that just came out of nowhere and wasn't based on a book or tv show , then i would agree with you , it would be incredible , but a strong opening was fully expected for Satc , people just weren't sure just how strong . I would say it's drop from Friday is incredible , because it looked like 65 - 70 mil was a lock after opening day .

I'll go with Panda coming in first , when i saw Indy , the kids and adults seemed to be excited about it and laughing at almost everything in the trailer , but i really can't guess what the Zohan film will do . What we have here is two cartoons , one cgi and one real life , but they are going for two different audiences . I'm thinking Panda will get the preteens and parents in the seats and Zohan should get the teen early 20 somethings in the theater . Oh man , i sound like a poor man's marketer now .

I'm not sure about Indy , there is still a chance it could stay in second place , but i'll definitely go with Panda for number one .

City , who knows , i have to see what the week numbers are before i get a better idea .
Old 06-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
I wouldn't say it's incredible , maybe a bit surprising , maybe great , but incredible is a bit much . It already had a rabid fanbase , and we saw just how rabid by the lengths some people went to try and see the premiere .

If this was a film that just came out of nowhere and wasn't based on a book or tv show , then i would agree with you , it would be incredible , but a strong opening was fully expected for Satc , people just weren't sure just how strong . I would say it's drop from Friday is incredible , because it looked like 65 - 70 mil was a lock after opening day .
I'm sorry but you are wrong. Incredible is not a "bit much." It opened above everyone's expectations. Like I already said, it is the best opening ever for a comedy that is rated R and the fifth-best opening EVER for movie that is rated R. You can dodge and spin all day long dd but the opening is incredible. To say otherwise is ridiculous and false. Separate your personal feelings about the movie from the box office reality, if you can.

What was your official prediction for SATC, prior to its release? Or did you not make one? Cause with the benefit of hindsight it is very easy to say that "a strong opening was fully expected."
Old 06-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Zohan is pretty much a lock for #2. Its marketing has been superb. It will make at least $35 million.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Zohan is pretty much a lock for #2. Its marketing has been superb. It will make at least $35 million.
Sandler is pretty much a lock for that number. This isn't quite the easy sell that Chuck & Larry and Click (among others of his) were though. It's a somewhat strange concept for a Sandler flick and I wouldn't be surprised to see it open to a little less than the Sandler norm.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Sandler is pretty much a lock for that number. This isn't quite the easy sell that Chuck & Larry and Click (among others of his) were though. It's a somewhat strange concept for a Sandler flick and I wouldn't be surprised to see it open to a little less than the Sandler norm.
It is a little different, and I expect the movie as a whole to be a little different than most of what Sandler has done, but the marketing crew have done an excellent job of putting that Sandler humour that a lot of people love into the trailers and TV spots. Regardless, it should make $30-40 million.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Yeah I guess they have gotten the typical Sandler humor into the trailer and TV spots (which are fucking terrible IMO). His name alone sells too, so it probably doesn't even matter how good or bad the marketing is (I don't think Zohan's has been anything special).
Old 06-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Friday estimates (moviecitynews.com)

1. Kung Fu Panda - 20.3 mil
2. You Don't Mess With the Zohan - 15.2 mil
3. Sex and the City - 7.3 mil
4. Indiana Jones - 6.5 mil
5. The Strangers - 3 mil
6. Iron Man - 2.1 mil
7. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - 1.6 mil
8. What Happens in Vegas - 1.1 mil
9. Baby Mama - .3 mil
10. Made of Honor - .2 mil

Typical big drop for a horror film like Strangers, and SATC fell like a stone. Good numbers for Zohan and Panda.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Quote:
I'm sorry but you are wrong. Incredible is not a "bit much." It opened above everyone's expectations. Like I already said, it is the best opening ever for a comedy that is rated R and the fifth-best opening EVER for movie that is rated R. You can dodge and spin all day long dd but the opening is incredible. To say otherwise is ridiculous and false. Separate your personal feelings about the movie from the box office reality, if you can.

What was your official prediction for SATC, prior to its release? Or did you not make one? Cause with the benefit of hindsight it is very easy to say that "a strong opening was fully expected."
I predicted 40 mil , then after those midnite and internet sales came out , i said 65 mil . So it fell somewhere in between my two predictions . Who cares about the all time numbers , in my opinion it's not incredible , if you think so , great , but i'm not . Great i can give you , but even that is a stretch , it already had a fanbase , what's so surprising about a film based on a popular television show doing those numbers .

The rating thing doesn't matter much anymore , it wasn't aimed at the younger set anyway .

I will say though it's precipitous drop gives me great pleasure , i just hope Indy beats it for 3rd place

No surprises so far this weekend , Panda was pretty obvious and it didn't take much to beat a frontloaded film in it's second weekend for second place .
Old 06-07-2008, 02:26 PM
It's going to be a monster weekend.

Depending on how Panda performs today and Sunday, I think it could have $65-70 million.

Zohan might be around $40 million.

Sex and the City dropped huge like I expected and it should hit $22-23 million or so, I think Indy will finish a little above that with $24-25 million if it behaves like last weekend (and it should).
Old 06-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Animated movies are still box office gold. Kung Ku Panda will perform big. Strange that Sex and the City dropped.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAngel View Post
Strange that Sex and the City dropped.
Not really, the core audience rushed out to see it last weekend.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
Friday estimates (moviecitynews.com)

1. Kung Fu Panda - 20.3 mil
2. You Don't Mess With the Zohan - 15.2 mil
3. Sex and the City - 7.3 mil
4. Indiana Jones - 6.5 mil
5. The Strangers - 3 mil
6. Iron Man - 2.1 mil
7. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - 1.6 mil
8. What Happens in Vegas - 1.1 mil
9. Baby Mama - .3 mil
10. Made of Honor - .2 mil

Typical big drop for a horror film like Strangers, and SATC fell like a stone. Good numbers for Zohan and Panda.
Great for Kung Fu Panda, and it should have a large increase on Saturday. Zohan did very well and should open to $40+ million. Sex and the City dropped, but it is still a massive success. Indy is still adding on to its massive total. The Strangers actually didn't drop too badly. It should drop no more than 50%.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Quote:
I will say though it's precipitous drop gives me great pleasure , i just hope Indy beats it for 3rd place .
Not as much pleasure as I get from the fact that SATC made more money in two days than Speed Racer will make in its entire theatrical run.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:57 AM
it was destined too , it already had a rabid fanbase , they could have wrote the script on a napkin and people would've went to see it . SR was always a wild card but at least it tried something different , it failed yes , but not concerning the most important aspect , it was highly entertaining .

the best thing now is seeing just how hard and fast SC falls , i have to get something out of it
Old 06-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Quote:
the best thing now is seeing just how hard and fast SC falls , i have to get something out of it
Don't worry it'll fall fast and hard.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Weekend Estimates

1. Kung Fu Panda- $60 million
2. You Don't Mess with the Zohan- $40 million
3. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull- $24 million
4. Sex and the City- $21.5 million
5. The Strangers- $9.5 million
6. Iron Man- $7.5 million
7. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian- $5.5 million
8. What Happens in Vegas- $3.5 million
9. Baby Mama- $800,000
10. Made of Honor- $775,000

Kung Fu Panda is huge. You Don't Mess with the Zohan is huge. Indiana Jones is still kicking ass. Sex and the City dropped hard but is still a massive hit. The Strangers dropped a bit more than 50%, but that's expected as it is an R-rated horror film. It's still doing very well and should end up with more than $50 million which is great. Iron Man should cross the $300 million mark by next weekend. Narnia looks like it's going to top out at around $140 million which is about half of what the first made, but it is kicking mucho ass worldwide so it's all good.

And Speed Racer dropped a whopping 84%!
Old 06-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Good for Panda , i figured it would do something , kids love those cgi animals . I hate these types of films ( allright not all of them just the majority ), so i probably won't be seeing it anytime soon .

The Zohan dude , that's about right , just goofy and silly enough to dredge up what it has . It's a throwaway film for me , won't make a difference if i ever see it , but i would like too .

Indy and the Kingdom of the swinging monkeys beat out City ( those estimates can change though ) , i'm happy with that . After it got emasculated last weekend , it has now regained it's manhood . Think it's at 520 mil worldwide already , right behind Iron which has 530 mil . Guess you know who's coming out ahead there . Yes , i know , now i'll admit , it may cross 300 mil now , Irondude that is .

SC , i wouldn't say the bottom fell out , it dropped about 60 percent ( normally only R rated horror movies drop that far ), but it's at 100 mil already , so it looks like it held up nicely during the week . Who cares , i just wish it would go away .

Strangers held up better than most horror movies do , but it's done now . I guess mediocrity pays off .

Irondude should be officially done next weekend , although it will still be in the top ten .

Prince Aragorn is dead in the water , but it will make a profit worldwide .

There must be alot of drunkards walking around , because someone is still paying to see Vegas .

Mama and Made round out the list , two future dust collectors .

Yes , yes , Speed dropped a whopping 80 percent plus , that has to be a record , oh well , at least it will be able to lay claim to something regarding it's box office performance , if you are going to lose , lose big .
Old 06-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Awesome news for Panda. It deserves it.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:37 PM
..anyone know what NARNIA is up to world wide?

Im just curious about the franchises life span at this point.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Caspian is currently at $200 million worldwide. Combine that with LWW's $775 million worldwide and you nearly have $1 billion for the franchise.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Caspian is currently at $200 million worldwide. Combine that with LWW's $775 million worldwide and you nearly have $1 billion for the franchise.
Thats alot for the franchise, but not all that great considering LWW is responsable for nearly 8/10 of the franchise total.

To be fair, i think alot of its due to the SHIT release date.(...move this franchise back to winter!)

I think its a pity since i thought Caspian was a much better made movie. Maybe its just because i knew the story so well, but the first movie bored me to tears.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Speed Racer has finally ran out of gas. Kung Fu Panda hasn't become this year's Surf's Up and that's great news. Sequel talk this week? The Strangers is still doing well and not like the past shitty PG-13 asian-not-so-horror remakes which tanked early this year.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Im hoping the asian horror remakes are done after the shitty THE EYE flopped.

People can say what they want about The Strangers(7/10) but ill take anything over that crap.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 AM
I can't believe how expensive Sandler movies are. Zohan cost $90 million to make.

It will be really interesting to see how this weekend plays out. The two new wide releases aren't quite as much of a sure thing as previous movies from this summer season.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 AM
I think it cost 10 million for the prop to make Sandler look " bigger " .

I think the majority of Zohan was filmed in NYC , there you go right there again , remember how much City cost to make there . Then you add on whatever Sandler gets per picture , 20 mil or so , and it makes sense . I'm sure the studio gets the tax breaks i mentioned before , not on the total production cost , but for whatever is actually filmed in Manhattan , Queens , Brooklyn , etc . So you may be able to knock off 10 or so million from the total budget .

I am curious also to see what happens with Zohan , because there is a chance Hulk can swipe a good chunk of it's audience , they are going for the same demographic , not exclusively , but Hulk should attract the same people that went to see Zohan last weekend , in addition to others who may not even care to see Sandler films .

I disagree about Hulk not being a sure thing , to me it's no doubt going to be a hit , the wild card this weekend is Happening .

Yeah , i know , i said SR was going to make 60 mil opening weekend , but this is different , this is an established and popular character , we're not talking obscure anime here . The more familiar , the better chance a film has .

Last edited by dellamorte dellamore; 06-10-2008 at 09:10 AM..
Old 06-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
Thats alot for the franchise, but not all that great considering LWW is responsable for nearly 8/10 of the franchise total.

To be fair, i think alot of its due to the SHIT release date.(...move this franchise back to winter!)

I think its a pity since i thought Caspian was a much better made movie. Maybe its just because i knew the story so well, but the first movie bored me to tears.
It no doubt seems to have been lost in the shuffle of this time of year . The producers of the series prob thought those numbers are what the original was going to do until they established the franchise , and that the sequel was going to rake it in , it was the opposite . It's still going to be profitable , so we're definitely getting another one . This isn't HP , those films seem to make money no matter when they are released , so the release date does make a difference with this series .
Old 06-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Quote:
I can't believe how expensive Sandler movies are. Zohan cost $90 million to make.

It will be really interesting to see how this weekend plays out. The two new wide releases aren't quite as much of a sure thing as previous movies from this summer season.
Holy shit.

$90 million?

For what?
Old 06-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Sandler can open movies. There's no doubt about that. But because they are so expensive to make, it really limits the profits. His (traditional) movies end up between $130 and $140 million these days. That is equal to or less than what it cost to make and market Zohan. Sandler movies do OK overseas (Chuck & Larry made $65 million), but it's not like you can add a huge foreign number to the domestic total. Plus, it costs money to market them overseas as well. Of course his movies make money, but that seems to be true thanks to DVD.