Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Horror Movie talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Looking For Some Good French/Spanish Horror Recommendations

I've got Martyrs, The Horde, The Pack, Rec, Rec 2, The Devil's Backbone and The Orphanage ready to order.

Anybody have anything else to recommend before I place my order?

I already have High Tension, Inside and Ils, and I have no interest in Frontier(s) so please leave those out.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:32 PM
You pretty much got the cream of the crop listed right there. The only one listed that I haven't seen is The Devil's Backbone, worth checking out?

Didn't enjoy Martyrs or The Orphanage all that much, but the rest are all fantastic. Why no interest in Frontier(s)? It's the French Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Have you seen Fase 7 (2011)? Not as good as the others listed but I was entertained. Here's its IMDb page:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1568816/
Old 03-16-2012, 04:39 PM
I've never seen The Devil's Backbone. Rec is the only one out of the bunch that I've seen.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Not as good as Devil's Backbone, but also directed by Guillermo Del Toro is Cronos which is worth checking out.

A few Spanish films I would recommend, though there a bit older than the ones you mentioned:

El Dia de la Bestia - a great horror comedy. One of my personal favorites
Thesis - great Spanish thriller about snuff films directed by Alejandro Amenabar
Who Can Kill a Child?
La Residencia (aka The House That Screamed)
Panic Beats
Old 03-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Mutants was ok (Low budget french zombie flick) I saw it on Netflix instant view
Old 04-27-2012, 06:47 AM
The Vanishing (88) is top notch. I liked The Univited Guest too, French horror is more my style, but that is a good and stylish production. Funny Games is Austrian (close enough?), but that one is top notch creepfesty too.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:01 PM
"Un Démon dans l'Île" (a demon in the island ) was freaky back in the days. Like the Maximum Overdrive movie but 4 years before its time.

found a "best-of" video on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJsOgtKQ1GA
Old 04-30-2012, 07:42 PM
The only film that I can think of which is not listed here is INSIDE. I'll throw Pan's Labyrinth in here too, just because it's such a great film. Don't know if it qualifies or not.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
The only film that I can think of which is not listed here is INSIDE. I'll throw Pan's Labyrinth in here too, just because it's such a great film. Don't know if it qualifies or not.
Pan's Labyrinth is a great film with some "horror" scene ( The rabbit poacher scene is pretty brutal) but i always thought of it as an adult fairy tale.

In the same vein , IRREVERSIBLE isn't a horror movie but it's pretty brutal to the point of extreme cinema. The Monica Belluci rape scene is unforgettable.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
Pan's Labyrinth is a great film with some "horror" scene ( The rabbit poacher scene is pretty brutal) but i always thought of it as an adult fairy tale.

In the same vein , IRREVERSIBLE isn't a horror movie but it's pretty brutal to the point of extreme cinema. The Monica Belluci rape scene is unforgettable.
My thoughts exactly. It's not a Horror film, but it has some very dark elements and should be at least considered by any film fan, but I think that it appeals more for the Horror demographic than any other. Just don't expect to be bombarded with *JUMP!!* scares or anything of that ilk.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Tesis - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIrrXbhIuzI
Hipnos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1BsLZTOViQ