Old 11-10-2012, 08:40 PM
top ten comic book films you'd like to see happen

pretty straight forward, top ten things you'd like to see translated to film/TV. Been kinda slow posting, so thought I'd post this topic to kick around:

10) Daredevil - the Devil in Cell Block D/The Devil his due - Daredevil has a bad rap. The character is unbelieveably cool, with a solid rogue's gallery. However, people, in the general public, have lost interest (if there ever was any) after the Ben Affleck movie. I think Daredevil deserves another shot, and the Ed Brubaker written story where Matt Murdoch goes to jail is one of the best.

9) X-men - Dark Phoenix - I want a REAL Dark Phoenix saga, not some made up shit that last three minutes and consists of Jean Grey looking pissed into a camera (which she didn't do very well)

8) Batman HUSH - this was the book that resurrected DC Comics after the near death of the industry in the 1990s. HUSH has plenty of critics, but those critics (every single one of them) were running to the LCS to get the latest issue when it was coming out. In other words, you may hate it, but everyone read it.

7) Green Lantern - Blackest Night - The best selling Geoff Johns story was hinted at in the Ryan Reynolds movie. Just cut the crap and give us the stories we really want to see: Manhunters and Cyborg Superman -> Sinestro Corps War -> Blackest Night -> The war of light -> 3rd army.

6) AvX - the best crossover Marvel has done in the last decade, IMHO. Everyone, all these years, whose read about Scott Summers knew that this was going to be his fate someday, it was the only logical conclusion.

5) Batman - Death of the Family - I've read exactly one issue of this crossover, and I can already tell its going to be a classic. That first issue of Batman was one of the most incredible first issues I've read, and sold me for the whole run. Do yourself a favor and pick it up, only, you can't, because the issue sold out before it even hit the rack. So pick up a second printing. Reading Scott Synder's work is like reading someone who will become one of the greatest of all time while he was still young.

4) Legends of the Dark Knight - this is my idea for an ensemble Batman story, basically do a story about Batman and all the citizens, both good and bad, of Gotham City. Go deep into and flesh out the mythology.

3) Captain America - Winter Soldier - done right, this can be the greatest thing of all time. When Brubaker first started on it, there was, ahem, a lot of resistance (people hated the idea) but Brubaker's skill made it one of the greatest Marvel stories ever. The film has that kind of upside, whether it taps it remains to be seen.

2) Superman - The last days of Krypton - my idea for a Superman origin story, go back to the very beginning, go back to Krypton, and show exactly how its destroyed. Everyone knows it is, nobody knows how exactly. (maybe the mystery is part of the charm, and this is something better left unexplored) It also gets around doing a Superman movie that may be boring because Supes is too powerful: on Krypton, nobody has superpower.

1) Batman - Gotham Central - IMHO, the single greatest missed opportunity in the history of TV. Years ago, Brubaker and Rucka pitched the show to the networks, who passed. Think CSI, but with Supervillians. Think a city where a regular beat cop can go from board with checking out a lead one minute, to, the very next, staring down the barrel of Mr. Freeze's Gun. Gotham Central was a book that ran for 40 something odd issues and featured the Gotham City PD, doing the best they can in a city ruled by Batman and the Joker. It was a tremendously interesting concept, and the book was decorated and award winning. Why no one picked it up for the obvious, episodic TV, and why certain other things do make the cut, is something I'll never understand.

So, that's my list, discuss.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soda View Post
2) Superman - The last days of Krypton - my idea for a Superman origin story, go back to the very beginning, go back to Krypton, and show exactly how its destroyed. Everyone knows it is, nobody knows how exactly. (maybe the mystery is part of the charm, and this is something better left unexplored) It also gets around doing a Superman movie that may be boring because Supes is too powerful: on Krypton, nobody has superpower.
Good call boss. I fucking love Superman and would love to see a story like this. While I know the upcoming Man of Steel movie isn't going to go into much detail on this (at least I'm assuming it won't) I still have hopes it'll be a good flick. And this is coming from someone who LOVED Superman Returns as well!

But yeah, on Krypton everyone was the same... Could really delve into the Superman mythos for sure. Good idea!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Preacher - I would love to see an HBO series based off of this.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:53 PM
They kinda screw any potential they had with the Dark Phoenix Saga in X3.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post
This...Preacher is an awesome read
Old 11-11-2012, 08:02 AM
Swamp Thing - The old movies are nothing like the comics. The comics are thought provoking, scary, and at times touching. Reboot it with it's EC comics horror roots firmly intact and make it something truly exceptional and unique. Although I think it'll be hard to get audiences in on seeing a plant-man go through an existential crisis....one could hope.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Transmetropolitan would make an awesome series. It'd be interesting to see who they cast as Spider Jerusalem.

Same goes for 100 Bullets, which (at least for the issues I've read) is already very episodic. Clint Eastwood would kick ass as Agent Graves, but since he'd probably never do it, I'd go with Stephen Lang.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Cerebus - It would have to be an animated anthology of some kind, as a movie version would be pretty much impossible. Also, they could stop after the first four books.

Fables - Another that would work as an animated anthology.

Robocop vs Terminator - I'd be happy if this came out like some of the other DC/Marvel DVD animated movies.

Aliens vs Predator - the original miniseries set on the desert planet.

Lobo - Specifically the Paramilitary Christmas Special. That would be an awesome 30 minute show.

Howard the Duck for President - The comic book was an unabashed champion of 70s era liberal politics, and the Presidential campaign story arc might just be it's highest point.

Blacksad - While the first book remains the best, all three Blacksad books would make for awesome film nior movies.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Ditto for Swamp Thing. The comics were often dark and moody and the movies don't do the series justice. Anton Arcane was Swamp Thing's main nemesis and was one of the most evil characters ever and would be interesting to see what a current-day director could do with him. One of my absolute favorite Swamp Thing issues - and one of my favorite comics of all time - is one of the Annuals where Arcane rips out Abby's soul (Abby being Arcane's niece and Swamp Thing's lover, another aspect which is more fleshed out in the books. Abby even goes on trial in Gotham City for "crimes against nature" and no one else then Batman speaks on her behalf when ST almost destroys the city to get Abby back.). Swampy travels to purgatory, heaven and hell searching for her. The ending could bring tears to your eyes.

Ditto for Blackest Night although if a Justice League seems over-charactered, this one would really have to be pared down since it involved the whole of the DC universe. Perhaps keep it to Green Lantern and the GL Corps.

Superman, "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" - The last, greatest Superman story before DC began to retell, re-imagine and basically eff up their universe. Superman faces his last day with his collected friends along with a gathering of his worst enemies. The story is overall very melancholy (characters die; not in the "oh, they've been transported to another universe way, but DIE) but also revelatory in how Superman and many of the characters in the various Superman titles act and react.

The Phantom Stranger - an overlooked DC character, still virtually unknown when it comes to background and abilities (the all-powerful Spectre even once remarked that he could not take on The Stranger) but with a great paranormal edge.

Zot! - Scott McCloud's incredible comic involving feats of daring and courage, a utopian alternative Earth and teenage angst. This had been rumored as a movie waaaaaay back when but nothing ever came of it. It's still an involving comic though and one of the few which really gets into the characters, no matter which Earth they're from.

Last edited by edonline; 11-13-2012 at 06:56 PM..
Old 11-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edonline View Post
The Phantom Stranger - an overlooked DC character, still virtually unknown when it comes to background and abilities (the all-powerful Spectre even once remarked that he could not take on The Stranger) but with a great paranormal edge.
I would ditto for Swamp Thing, for all the reasons that have been mentioned.

One quick thing about the Phantom Stranger, have you been reading the new ongoing? Its pretty awesome, I have to say. However, the way DC retconned the Stranger's origins probably makes him, ahem, unsuitable to be moved into anything mainstream. In the new 52, the stranger is one of the three great sinners condemned to wander the earth by the council of eternity. The thirty silver coins around his neck are his noose, and his punishment is to work off each and every single one. That should be a dead giveaway as to his "new" identity, and I'm pretty sure that would be a tough sell is today's hyper-sensitive world. I'm surprised DC has gotten away with it to this point, to be honest (turning one of history's greatest "villians" into a "hero") but I attribute that to the fact that the stranger's identity is never explicitly stated, but man, its oh so obvious.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post
this. Preacher is one of the greatest of all time, and demands a HBO series. Its one of those things that you read and its so irrereverant and so blasphemous, but you can't put the book down and you always find yourself wanting more.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Fables - Another that would work as an animated anthology.
Fables is a book that has done so well for Vertigo that its spawned its own mini-empire, with spinoffs like Jack of Fables and Fairest. I'm beginning to weaken on Fables a bit, because the last few arcs haven't been very good, and, in fact, I thought the Bufkin in Oz backup feature was better, more interesting, and truer to the roots of the book than the main story was. Reading the Bufkin story was worth the price of admission so I'm staying with the book, but pretty much everything beginning with the Mr. Dark story has done nothing for me.

However, and this is a big however, Fables is a rock on my pull list because it has four or five of the greatest story arcs of all time. Homelands was great, but three best are March of the Wooden Soldier, StoryBook Love and The Good Prince. The Good Prince is high up on my list of all time all-timers, and the other arcs aren't far behind. However, those arcs were a couple of years ago, and at this point, I don't know how much longer I can stick with Fables.

But I will say when Fables is right, its soooo right. The idea of Cinderrela as a Super-spy is beyond cool, for one thing.

Last edited by soda; 11-13-2012 at 10:52 AM..
Old 11-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edonline View Post
Swampy travels to purgatory, heaven and hell searching for her. The ending could being tears to your eyes.
It has done...several times. I really must read the entire Alan Moore run again sometime soon.