Old 01-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Sundance Film Festival

Feel free to post any news, tweets, reviews, etc. coming out of Sundance. I am particularly looking forward to reactions to Don Jon's Addiction, Before Midnight, Ain't Them Bodies Saints, and Prince Avalanche (fingers crossed for DGG getting back on track).
Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 PM
Definitely looking forward to hearing reactions for Don Jon's Addiction sometime tonight. I'm a big fan of Gordon-Levitt, so I'm extremely curious to see how he does as a writer/director.

I'm probably going to be up all night on Sunday trying to read about every single reaction and review for Before Midnight, which is my most anticipated of the year.

All in all it seems like a tremendous line-up this year!

Last edited by Reckoner; 01-18-2013 at 07:17 PM..
Old 01-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Reactions to Don Jon's Addiction have been bad (AV Club gave it a D) to lukewarm at best (the only ones who seemed to love it are the JGL fan-girls on twitter). Can't say that my curiosity towards the film has been diminished, though.

Meanwhile, The Spectacular Now seems to be getting all the hype thus far. It's from the writers of 500 Days of Summer and the director of Smashed, so the thing was almost destined to become the Sundance favorite that it already is. Definitely looking forward to it.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Any decent horror or suspense works on the itinerary I wonder?
Old 01-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Reactions to Don Jon's Addiction have been bad (AV Club gave it a D) to lukewarm at best (the only ones who seemed to love it are the JGL fan-girls on twitter). Can't say that my curiosity towards the film has been diminished, though.
Interesting. Other than Guy Lodge, the only reactions I've read have been very positive.

The one I am most interested in now based one yesterday's screenings is Kill Your Darlings. It got big time praise yesterday and it sounds like the performances are incredible.

Also, Escape From Tomorrow sounds insane. Not only as a film, but in how it was made. The entire shoot took place at Disney World and they didn't have a permit. The director went to Korea to edit it because he feared he was going to get busted.

Last edited by Bourne101; 01-19-2013 at 03:06 PM..
Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Don Juan's Addiction got one good review from firstshowing.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 PM
Levitt is one of the most overrated people working in Hollywood today so my interest in Don Jon's Addiction, now that I've read the synopsis which reeks of self-indulgence, borders on don't give a fuck.

The reviews so far don't surprise.

MovieMaker listed the following as the ones to watch at the fest:

1. C.O.G.
2. I Used to be Darker
3. The Future
4. Sound City
5. Ain't Them Bodies Saints
6. Narco Cultura

Out of those, C.O.G., The Future and Ain't Them Bodies Saints sound the most interesting to me.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:35 PM
V/H/S made my 2nd worst film of 2012 but I gotta say, I'm really intrigued by S-VHS. I haven't read a bad review on it yet and I am so goddamn excited to see Gareth Evans segment (The Raid: Redemption was the polar opposite of V/H/S on my list, clocking in as my favorite film of 2012.) Maybe they had to go through a bunch of shit for the first one to get to the good stuff. I'm gonna walk in optimistic!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 PM
I dug V/H/S, so I'm certainly looking forward to S-VHS considering basically everyone says it tops the first one. Ain't Them Bodies Saints sounds like my kind of movie. Some comparisons to Malick, minus the indulgence of some of his recent films. Blue Caprice is another one that sounds like it's up my alley. It's getting raves. Prince Avalanche sounds like a return to form for David Gordon Green. Reactions to Stoker aren't so good. Too bad.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Sounds like Before Midnight is incredible and a perfect conclusion to the trilogy. Can't wait. Linklater is the man.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:38 PM
I didn't know Prince Avalanche was scored by Explosions in the Sky . Awesomeness.

Re: VHS - I dug the first one and this second one sounds pretty fun. Loved The Raid (just saw it recently) so that also helps.

I wanna see Escape From Tomorrow. Just from the bits I've read about it and the whole demented Disneyland aspect, I'm totally sold.

Bourne - where are you hearing the negative reactions for Stoker? The only bad one I can find is The Playlist. Variety, HitFix, THR, ScreenDaily, and The Guardian all have positive reviews.

I'm dying for an Upstream Color reaction.

Also still waiting for more reactions to The East and Mother of George. My buddy invested in the latter so crossing my fingers for his sake that it turns out well (no consensus yet, one negative review from THR, one mildly positive review from an indiewire blog, and one rave from Guy Lodge at Variety).

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 01-21-2013 at 01:53 PM..
Old 01-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
Bourne - where are you hearing the negative reactions for Stoker? The only bad one I can find is The Playlist. Variety, HitFix, THR, ScreenDaily, and The Guardian all have positive reviews.
It was just the initial wave of tweets I was seeing. It seems to have evened out a bit though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
I'm dying for an Upstream Color reaction.
Sounds like a trip.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Aah gotcha. I'm guessing some of those tweets will make their way into reviews eventually.

As for the Twitterverse reaction to Upstream Color, yup, sounds like a trip.

Early reactions from a skim of the Twitter feeds: big, confusing ideas, less accessible than Primer (lol), beautiful, profound, not profound, references to Bunuel, Kubrick, Tarkovsky, and Malick.

Some negative reactions but a lot of initial positive ones too. Also some calls to ponder the film more before offering a concrete reaction at this point.

Basically, it sounds like everything I was hoping it would be . Was excited to see Noah Cowan calling it profound as my tastes align with his *a lot* (he's my favourite TIFF programmer, wish he still did Midnight Madness).
Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Levitt is one of the most overrated people working in Hollywood today so my interest in Don Jon's Addiction, now that I've read the synopsis which reeks of self-indulgence, borders on don't give a fuck.
Yeah while I do like JGL as an actor, I have doubts about Don Jon's Addiction. Just kinda sounds stupid and if you've seen any of his short films on HITrecord, they do come across as self indulgent and just plain crappy. Hope I'm wrong though and its actually a funny version of Shame
Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Anyone interested in Fruitvale now that it won the Grand Jury Prize for Dramatic Feature? It seems like a gripping and very personal work, which seems to be a big part of why this is such a striking debut feature for the director (Ryan Coogler, who's been getting quite a bit of buzz since the fest). Michael B. Jordon is also the lead, and for those of you who haven't seen his work in The Wire or Friday Night Lights - he's one of the most talented young actors in the business. Definitely keeping myself posted on this one.

Last edited by Reckoner; 01-28-2013 at 05:39 PM..