Old 01-30-2013, 07:52 PM
WARCRAFT 3D (3/11/2016)

Duncan Jones is taking on Legendary Pictures' adaptation of the popular video game
universe.

Duncan Jones is making the jump to big-budget tentpole movies, signing on to direct
Warcraft, Legendary Pictures’ live-action adaptation of Blizzard Entertainment’s video
game universe.

Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni are producing for Legendary along with Blizzard and Atlas
Entertainment’s Charles Roven and Alex Gartner.

Taking an almost kitchen-sink approach to fantasy, Warcraft, which has grown to be one
of the most popular multiplayer online role-playing games out there, is part fantasy, part
science fiction and — depending on the game you’re playing — includes elements such as
dragons and orcs, zombies and werewolves, and aliens and spaceships.

Legendary is keeping its script, written by Charles Leavitt, under wraps. The Warner Bros.-
based production and finance outfit is eyeing a fall 2013 start and a 2015 release.
Jones’ producing partner, Stuart Fenegan, will executive produce while Chris Metzen will
co-produce for Blizzard.

Warcraft is a big jump up in terms of scope and scale for Jones, the filmmaker son of
David Bowie known for his thoughtful sci-fi work.

Jones (CAA, Independent Talent Group, Bloom Hergott) made his feature debut writing
and directing 2009's Moon, the well-regarded low-key indie sci-fi drama that starred Sam
Rockwell and cost around $1 million to make. He followed that up with Source Code,
Summit’s 2011 time travel thriller that starred Jake Gyllenhaal and cost around $35 million
to make. Warcraft is expected to have a budget north of $100 million.

Roven most recently produced The Dark Knight Rises and is a producer on Man of Steel,
both of which involved Legendary. Atlas is in pre-production on David O. Russell’s follow-up
to Silver Linings Playbook, an untitled project that will star Bale, Bradley Cooper, Amy
Adams and Jeremy Renner. Production begins this March.

Legendary is prepping for the July 12 release of Guillermo del Toro’s monsters vs. mechas
tentpole Pacific Rim.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ce-code-416956

Last edited by Ruly2; 11-08-2014 at 02:57 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM
Wow thats a great choice...my brother has been talking about this movie for years since hes a huge gamer but I've always shot him down because I have heard anything from the movie end of things....I'm not much of a gamer but I am totally pumped about this....
Old 06-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Legendary Plans First Quarter 2014 Shoot for ‘Warcraft’

Briefly: Late in January of this year, Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code) was announced as director of the long-in-development film based on Blizzard’s game world seen in titles like World of Warcraft. Unsurprisingly, news on further developments has been slow in coming as Jones and the films producers craft a plan for the film. At the time Jones was announced, a late 2013 shoot was theorized, with hopes for a 2015 release.

That 2015 release may still be in the cards, but today producer Charles Roven told us that Warcraft is currently planned to shoot in early 2014.

“First quarter 2014 we’re going to shoot that movie,” Roven told Germain while discussing Legendary’s plans.
“We’re moving forward; obviously Legendary is making that film and I’m having a great time with Duncan.”

We’re still in the dark with respect to knowing how Jones will bring the environment of the Warcraft series to the big screen, and if the early 2014 schedule holds it will likely be Comic Con, at the earliest, before we get any real idea of the team’s plan.

Source: Slashfilm

semi ot: Bill Westenhoffer has been signed as the visual effects director

Last edited by Ruly2; 06-01-2013 at 03:18 PM..
Old 06-01-2013, 05:21 PM
I have high hopes for this based upon the talent I have seem from Duncan Jones.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:48 AM
Kobolds or bust!

Quote:
- You no take candle!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:48 AM
If Duncan Jones does indeed end up directing this then I'll definitely see it.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:02 PM

The more I think about it the more intrigued I am.

Especially considering the budget will be pretty big.

Just imagine what Jones can come up with on a budget more than 100 million.

I actually cant wait for this.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:20 PM
I still don't believe this will ever happen. How many producers/directors have been attached to it at some point? Blizzard is pretty sketchy about actually releasing their products and if they do it's almost always 5 years too late.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Legendary Pictures Press Conference: Updates on Warcraft

Warcraft was teased, albeit briefly, with a simple title treatment. To be directed by Duncan
Jones (Moon), the film is based on the game series. Tull said they are taking their time with
this one and placing a "very high bar" on it, "because, frankly, video game movies have not
fared very well." They want a great script and are taking the property very seriously. Expect
more updates over the next few months.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=105606

This is only a bit of the article. Full article details Legendary Pictures Press Conference.

Last edited by Ruly2; 06-18-2013 at 05:30 PM..
Old 06-19-2013, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruly2 View Post
Warcraft was teased, albeit briefly, with a simple title treatment. To be directed by Duncan
Jones (Moon), the film is based on the game series. Tull said they are taking their time with
this one and placing a "very high bar" on it, "because, frankly, video game movies have not
fared very well." They want a great script and are taking the property very seriously. Expect
more updates over the next few months.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=105606

This is only a bit of the article. Full article details Legendary Pictures Press Conference.
Sounds excellent, Legendary is a great production studio.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Legendary Pictures Boss Talks 'World of Warcraft' Movie Challenges

Though Moon director Duncan Jones landed himself the World of Warcraft film adaptation set up at Legendary Pictures, fans are still worried about how they're going to translate the entire online fantasy world to the big screen and do the game justice. Just last month, producer Charles Roven mentioned they were hoping to shoot the film beginning in early 2014. However, while doing publicity rounds for Pacific Rim, Legendary head Thomas Tull doesn't seem to confirm that production plan, and talks about the challenges of adapting this property for film, including the bad mentality behind most video game movies.

Speaking with SlashFilm, Tull comments on the weak motivation behind video game adaptations saying, "A lot of times what has happened in the past is, studios have said, ‘How many people play that game? Okay, then that means they’ll probably all go out and buy tickets.’ That is an incredibly poor way to make a movie.” Tull's approach is to focus on the world of the game itself rather than just the game, saying:
Quote:
"So for us, it’s that we don’t know how to make a movie out of Warcraft, the video game. It’s the incredible story, the war, and these races, and everything these guys at Blizzard have come up with. They have 100 books, and just this incredibly rich world that they’ve created.

And so having Duncan Jones realize that for us was exciting. We’ve taken our time [developing this property], because we absolutely don’t want to screw it up. And I think we’re getting close to a place where we’re ready to go. And when the script is finished, and when we feel like, ‘Forget whether or not there’s a built-in audience. Does this stand on its own, and is it great?’ Then we’ll start filming. We’re not quite there yet, but we’re under suspicion of going there. And Duncan is one of those directors that you just go, ‘This guy gets it.’"
That might mean production won't get underway by early 2014 as Roven was hoping, but there certainly seems to be more progress than when Sam Raimi was involved. Perhaps Jones is not only the right director to bring World of Warcraft to life, but maybe he can finally crack the video game genre once and for all. If there's one game with a rich enough universe to create and original fantasy story, it's Blizzard's expansive online game. Tull says, "The next two years are going to be pretty exciting, I think," so it sounds like World of Warcraft might be coming to theaters in 2016. Stay tuned.

Source: Firstshowing.net
Old 07-01-2013, 08:08 PM
I really want this to happen, Legendary Pictures is a great studio and Duncan Jones is a solid director. I'm glad they want to take their time and make sure it is good, but eventually they are just going to have to move forward.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Surprise footage revealed about Comic-Con. Duncan Jones showed up and called it a mood piece and official shooting apparently starts early next year.

Footage Description

Spoiler:
A strange, alien desert with a growing green sky. A storm is coming in. A knight is standing there. He draws his sword.. There's a discarded suit of armor. He takes the shield from a skeleton. It's World of Warcraft! He's gearing up. Creatures are coming over the hills. We follow a camera on an Orc as it moves to take, moving faster and faster. Just as the Orc's blade comes down, it cuts to the logo!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:17 PM

Footage sounds dope Thunderstorm. Thanks for the description. I'm glad Duncan is moving forward with this film.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Footage sounds dope Thunderstorm. Thanks for the description. I'm glad Duncan is moving forward with this film.
No problem man and I am a fan of Duncan Jones films I thought Moon and Source Code were both very good.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Some information on the characters

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/new-...medium=twitter
Old 08-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Filming starts in January.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=86118
Old 09-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Colin Farrell and Paula Patton are apparently wanted for roles, but other actors are up for major roles as well.

http://collider.com/warcraft-colin-f...n/#more-283984
Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Hmm I'd rather go with a younger actor but I do like Colin. I'd be surprised if he took the role since he seemed kinda letdown by his Total Recall flop. I remember him saying he might stay away from big budget films after that.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Some more casting rumors Anson Mount, Anton Yelchin, Paul Dano, and Travis Fimmel are apparently in casting talks. Travis Fimmel is the guy from Vikings on the history channel so I think that could be a cool pick up as well as Paul Dano who was just recently great in Prisoners.

Echo Bravo- I agree with you, it seems that Colin Farrell isn't exactly big budget box office gold.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:41 PM
I really wish Jones was doing something, well, original. This seems like a I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine between Jones and the studio.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:54 PM
WARCRAFT gets a release date!!

Legendary Pictures’ Warcraft, based upon Blizzard Entertainment's globally-renowned universe,
will be released by Universal Pictures on Friday, December 18, 2015.

Warcraft marks the first film dated under the recently formed partnership between Universal
and Legendary.

The film, an epic adventure of world-colliding conflict, will be directed by Duncan Jones (Moon,
Source Code) and is written by Charles Leavitt and Duncan Jones. The producers are Charles
Roven and Alex Gartner for Atlas Entertainment and Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni for Legendary.
Stuart Fenegan, Jillian Share and Brent O’Connor will serve as executive producers. Blizzard's
Chris Metzen will co-produce.

sources(s): Superherohype.com

Last edited by Ruly2; 10-01-2013 at 07:58 PM..
Old 10-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Damn if this is true it might get completely dominated by Star Wars which I think will also end up being a December 2015 release.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
Damn if this is true it might get completely dominated by Star Wars which I think will also end up being a December 2015 release.
Yeah no kidding. WTF are they thinking here
Old 10-26-2013, 11:20 AM
‘Vikings’ Actor Travis Fimmel Game for Legendary’s ‘Warcraft’

After a lengthy search, Legendary Entertainment has found its leading man for the upcoming
adaptation of “Warcraft,” tapping Travis Fimmel to star.

No formal offer has been presented yet but sources say he is their guy for one of the four
leads in the film.

Production is slated for production in early 2014.

variety.com
Old 11-10-2013, 01:01 PM
New info and first concept art

Director Duncan Jones presented the Warcraft movie at BlizzCon 2013 on Saturday, and
thanks to Kotaku we know a little more about the December 18, 2015 release.

The story of the film will center on Anduin Lothar versus Durotan, Human and Orc heroes from
the original real-time strategy games. The movie will also be focused largely in the Eastern
Kingdoms of Azeroth.

When Jones originally signed on, the script was more it was very human and Alliance centric.
"It's about both sides. It's going to be red and blue." He wants the movie's audience to feel for
the Orc heroes as much as they do the Human ones, said the site.

Special effects supervisor Bill Westenhofer compared the tone of the film to Gladiator and said,
"The swords that are being built are the biggest swords a human being can wield." Mayes
Rubeo, costume designer for Apocalypto, Avatar, John Carter and World War Z, will be doing
the costumes.

Four pieces of concept art were also revealed and included Draenor, Dalaran, Ironforge and
Stormwind. You can view those in the slideshow below.

While no casting was confirmed for the Universal Pictures and Legendary Pictures release,
Colin Farrell, Paula Patton and Travis Fimmel are rumored to be starring.

concept art an source: comingsoon.net
Old 11-10-2013, 06:21 PM
The concept art is pretty awesome definitely worth checking out, and I'm glad it will show sides of both the humans and the orcs. However, this thing is gonna need to change its release date because Star Wars is gonna bend this over at the box office.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Release date changed to March 11th, 2016. Good move Star Wars is going to clean up at the box office no room for this.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/the-...-moves-to-2016
Old 12-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Ben Foster & Dominic Cooper join 'Warcraft'

Ben Foster (“Lone Survivor”) and Dominic Cooper (“Need for Speed”) are set to join Duncan
Jones’ big-budget fantasy film “Warcraft,” TheWrap has learned.

Travis Fimmel (“Vikings”) and Paula Patton (“2 Guns”) also star in the movie, which is based on
Blizzard Entertainment’s popular video game “World of Warcraft.”

Source: thewarp

Last edited by Ruly2; 12-04-2013 at 07:03 PM..
Old 12-04-2013, 08:57 PM

The cast is shaping up nicely esp with Ben Foster. I trust Jones to make an entertaining film and cant wait to see what he can do with a big budget.

And really good that they moved the release date far away from Star Wars.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Clancy Brown and Daniel Wu sign up for 'Warcraft'

Few movies couldn't be enhanced by the presence of the mighty Clancy Brown, and so it's a
pleasure to report that he's the latest addition to the cast of Duncan Jones' upcoming
Warcraft movie.

Brown, whose most recent movie was Homefront, starring The Statham, joins a cast that
already includes Paula Patton, Toby Kebbell, Ben Foster and Travis Fimmel. And he's not the
only new addition to the movie either. Daniel Wu, whose credits include New Police Story, One
Nite In Mongkok and Europa Report, is also set to climb aboard as well. Their exact roles have
not yet been revealed.

Denofgeeks
Old 01-13-2014, 02:33 PM
Dominic Cooper Explains World of Warcraft Movie Story

The World of Warcraft co-star describes how Duncan Jones’s film will relate to real-world issues.

BBC America presented a panel on their four part miniseries Fleming: The Man Who
Would Be Bond to the Television Critics Association this weekend. Afterwards, I spoke
to Dominic Cooper, who plays Fleming, at a tea time reception with BBC talent. When
no one else was around, I steered the conversation towards the Warcraft movie in
which Cooper was cast in December.

World of Warcraft being an open world game, I asked Cooper about the movie’s story
and he gave us some good indications where the story is going, without specific
spoilers.

“There’s a very human story at the heart of it because there’s a few of us that are
humans in it that are up against tribes and problematic issues that exist in the world that
we exist in,”
Cooper said. “It’s happening all over the world at the moment
and you see it happening all over. People have savaged their own lands and their own
environment and they’re having to find a new environment in which to move into
through the hostility of others. If there’s something as poignant as that that we can
relate to and that we see unfolding in everyday life, then it will make it a worthwhile
story.”

Movies based on video games have not had a good track record, though director
Duncan Jones is promising for Warcraft. Cooper was as aware as we all are of failed
attempts to adapt games, so he held Warcraft to high standards.

“The script. I saw it and I don’t know it as a video game, so you can read what you
like about the video game. You can read all those amazing characters on the intricate
detail of what the characters are worth and what they can achieve and what they can
do, but in this, the story is great. It’s when they make the video games and they think
that they can just be sold on the idea and the fact that they are successful video
games. What they forget is actually you have an ability to interact with a video game
and that’s why they’re so successful. So if you’re going to make a film, the pleasure in
a film is to be immersed in the world in a brilliantly, even more beautiful than a video
game so there’s got to be something more special about it and that ultimately comes
down to storyline and content.”

We’ll have the full interview with Dominic Cooper in our TV channel when Fleming airs
January 29.

CRAVE
Old 04-24-2014, 02:09 PM
first behind the scenes image from WARCRAFT

source: buzzhub.info
Old 05-26-2014, 06:21 PM
The World of Warcraft movie has completed shooting

Director Duncan Jones announced on Twitter that the four-month shoot had
come to an end:
Quote:
Final day on Warcraft now officially... wrapped!! Off to bed for 3 hours
before a meeting in the AM. Goodnight/good morning twitter!
- Duncan Jones
digitalspy.co.uk /twitter
Old 05-31-2014, 05:02 PM
Ben Foster Reveals His 'Warcraft' Character and New Plot Details

While the main cast for Warcraft was revealed quite some time ago, with Paula Patton, Anson
Mount, Paul Dano, Colin Farrell, Travis Fimmel, Anton Yelchin, Toby Kebbell, Dominic Cooper
and Ben Foster all taking on substantial roles in director Duncan Jones video game adaptation,
none of the characters have been mentioned. Now, in an interview with IGN, Ben Foster
confirms that he is playing the sorcerer Medivh in this fantasy based action adventure.

According to the World of Warcraft wiki: Medivh
was the last Guardian of Tirisfal, an ancient line of protectors bestowed with great powers
to do battle with the agents of the Burning Legion. He was corrupted even before birth, and
possessed by the spirit of the demonlord Sargeras who used Medivh in his plan to conquer
Azeroth. Medivh contacted the orcish warlock, Gul'dan, and together they opened the Dark
Portal, which allowed the Burning Legion to begin its destruction of Azeroth. He was slain
shortly after by a party led by one of his friends, Lothar.

Ben Foster had this to say about his character:

"The character in Warcraft that I play is named Medivh. He's a mage, which is essentially
a sorcerer. He came up in a time protecting an area, and the way he protected this area
was through magic. As peace returned to this land he took a break. He hung up his staff, so
to speak, or let his guns get dusty. We meet him as his friends are returning asking for his
help in a battle. What's exciting about Duncan Jones' take on this video game is that it
shows both sides of the war. It shows both sides of a conflict, which is exciting to me. It's
not just a video game turned into a movie. It's asking, hopefully, an important question of,
where do we limit our compassion for what we consider to be the bad guys?"

Ben Foster will not be playing a CGI or Motion Capture character in the film, though he goes
onto praise VFX house ILM for their genre defying work. Asked if he was required to wear a
Mo-Cap suit on set, Ben Foster replied,

"No, mine's not [motion capture], but there are interactions with a lot of characters that
are. There are a lot of different kinds of creatures in this picture that I interact with. The
way that they're pushing motion-capture -- I just saw some of the test footage -- it's
unlike anything I've ever seen. It's performance-capture. It pushes it to the next level. It's
going to be one helluva 3D event."

- movieweb
Old 11-07-2014, 04:29 PM
[UPDATED] Choose Your side: The First Posters for WARCRAFT

Fight for the ALLIANCE

Fight for the HORDE

Ramin Djawadi, who scores Game of Thrones,Pacific Rim and the first IRON MAN film will
be writing the music for the Warcraft film.

SOURCE: Joblo.com

[update 6:12pm est]

Here are two official websites for the film. They accompany the two posters above:
Click on the names above to go to their respective websites.
SOURCE: comicbook.com

Last edited by Ruly2; 11-07-2014 at 05:27 PM..
Old 11-08-2014, 02:48 PM
OFFICIAL CAST LINE UP and MORE

Here is the official Cast for WARCRAFT 3D:
  • Dominic Cooper is King Llane Wrynn, beacon of hope to the city of Stormwind during a time of darkness.
  • Ben Foster is Medivh the "Guardian," a mysterious, reclusive protector with formidable power.
  • Robert Kazinsky is Orgrim, destined to wield the Doomhammer, heroic Orc weapon, as the right hand of Durotan.
  • Paula Patton is Garona, a strong-willed survivorwho must decide where true loyalty lies.
  • Toby Kebbell is Durotan, Chieftain and defender of the Frostwolf Clan.
  • Ben Schnitzer is Khadgar, a gifted young mage on a daring search for the truth.
  • Clancy Brown is Blackhand "The Destroyer," one of the most feared and titanic warchiefs among the Orcs.
  • Ruth Negga is LadyTaria, Queen of Stormwind at King Llane's side. His great love and most trusted counsel.
  • Daniel Wu is Gul'dan, supreme Orc ruler fueled by a dark magic that even he cannot control.
  • Travis Fimmel is warrior Anduin Lothar, a hero who has sacrificed everything.
Here is also the first images of actor Dominic Cooper as King Llane Wrynn and the Orc know as Orgrim:

sources: worstpreviews.com & geektyrant.com

"Warcraft" is directed by Duncan Jones (Source Code, Moon) and is set to hit conventional and 3D theaters on March 11th, 2016.

Last edited by Ruly2; 11-08-2014 at 03:00 PM..
Old 01-07-2015, 06:57 AM
DUNCAN JONES TALKS WARCRAFT'S STORY BETWEEN ORCS AND HUMANS

We are more than a year away from WARCRAFT, Duncan Jones’ anticipated video game
adaptation, and so far we don't know a too much about it. We know it’s going to be huge
and that hopes are going to be very high considering the well-known material within certain
circles. The movie wrapped production last year and now post work is being done including
visual effects by ILM. Jones recently spoke about the film and the focus that will be on the
first contact between humans and orcs as well as his hopes to start a franchise with this
film.

Speaking with Chinese movie site (note some translation issues) Mtime, Jones revealed how
the massive movie will open:

"From the moment I first talked to Blizzard, the plan was to start our film with the first time
Orcs met Humans. First contact! I think that for a world with so much newness to explain,
this was a wise choice, especially when so many people in our audience may not know
anything about Warcraft… it was important that some of our characters would be seeing
the world fresh as well, and that the audience could see the situation through their eyes."

The most exciting bit of news I think is regarding the effects - Jones said that Oscar
winning visual effects supervisor Bill Westenhoffer (LIFE OF PI) and ILM’s Jeff White (worked
on Hulk in THE AVENGERS) are all heading up the team. Also, composer Ramin Djawadi
(Game of Thrones, PACIFIC RIM) is currently working on the score! So needless to say, it
should look and sound awesome.

- Joblo.com
Old 03-23-2015, 01:30 AM
haha awesome.

More of a starcraft guy myself, but I remember playing Warcraft 1 sample.
Back when they used to include a discs full of sample games and products with game magazines lol, then came the internet. I sound real old but I'm under 30 haha.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:06 AM
New release date and first look at Orgrim

LADIES, MEET ORGRIM. He’s brave, he works out, he still has most of his teeth, two of them
are terrifyingly enormous, and he’s about to be a huge movie star. By day he’s a warchief, but
by night he’s…well, by night he’s actor Robert Kazinsky. For an orc, he’s actually pretty
human.

“We were looking for someone who would be able to perform the gruffness, the humor, and
the toughness of this character,”
says director Duncan Jones, who found his match when he
cast Kazinsky as Orgrim in his movie Warcraft. (Other people saw the same thing, apparently;
Kazinsky will be playing an updated version of Frankenstein’s monster in an upcoming TV pilot
for Fox.)

Orgrim’s likeness comes from the masterminds at Industrial Light and Magic, who took
concept art from Blizzard Entertainment—creators of the massive World of Warcraft
videogame franchise on which Jones’ film is based—and merged it with photographs and
scans of Kazinsky to create the orc.

When they’re done, sometime before next summer, they will likely have created the most
life-like CGI orc audiences have ever seen—this is, after all, the team that managed to
make Hulk look sad in Avengers: Age of Ultron. “We’ve gone beyond the point where these
are just creatures in movies,” Jones says. “We now have the technology and the ability to
make new characters entirely.”

Warcraft hits theaters June 10, 2016.

- Wired

Last edited by Ruly2; 05-18-2015 at 11:10 AM..