Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 AM
The reason The Last Stand and Bullet to the Head flopped is...

the age of the average cinema-goer these days. All these teens that flocked to see Twilight have not experienced the awesomeness that was Arnie or Stallone in their day. In fact they probably think that movies like Commando or Cliffhanger just don't stand up to modern action films like The Bourne films or the recent bond movies.

And let's face fact do these 80s classics really outshine all these modern action films? Sure films like Cobro and Cammando hold special places in our hearts mainly for nostalgic reasons. We remember how much we enjoyed them at the time and still have a blast watching them now. But, if they were made and released nowadays, would they find an audience? I'm not so sure.

I haven't seen The Last Stand or Bullet to the Head (I'm gonna wait for the DVDs), but from the look of the trailers, they're reminescent of their 80s output, and maybe kids these days just aren't interested anymore if they ever where.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 AM
Quote:
The reason The Last Stand and Bullet to the Head flopped is...
Quote:
I'm gonna wait for the DVDs
Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM
I still support them in the theatre...
Old 02-06-2013, 02:51 PM
I wanted to check out The Last Stand for Jee-woon Kim, but it bailed out in two weeks in theaters. But, I agree with Cronos, everybody is probably waiting to see it on dvd (much like Dredd).
Old 02-06-2013, 06:26 PM
I don't really buy that excuse. Both Expendables movies did well, and I'm sure Die Hard 5 is going to be a big hit.

I think the problem with both movies is that they just didn't look that appealing to most people. I enjoyed The Last Stand, but Arnold clearly phoned it in for that one - and I have no desire to see Bullet to the Head.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:45 PM
The Super Bowl took a lot of moviegoers this last weekend. None of the movies did as good as they could have.

It doesn't explain The Last Stand though, which after three weeks has gone down all the way to #23, losing over 2,000 theaters.

Also, January and February aren't exactly months that set the box office on fire. That's just the way it is every year.

Last edited by Matchbox225; 02-06-2013 at 07:51 PM..
Old 02-07-2013, 01:34 AM
I enjoyed The Last Stand. Havent seen Bullet to the Head yet but I'll check it out soon.

Really hoping Die Hard 5 does well.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 PM
It is frustrating to me that both of these movies aren't doing better. "Bullet to the head" had the Superbowl weekend to contend with, which would and did hurt, and I'll admit that it didn't look like that brilliant or original. But it looked like a decent movie and it is one in my eyes having seen it.

"The last Stand" appeared to be the more overall solid movie and it is. It didn't have any serious competition on its opening weekend, at least it shouldn't have. "Mama" making $28 million? Seriously? It looks like a generic PG-13 horror movie. Between those two movies, I imagined "The Last Stand" with at least 16 million and "Mama" with a little less or more than that.

During the dump months, some really stupid movies have made $30 million, like one or two of those "_______ Movie" parodies. Do people really care about Arnold's personal affairs being dragged through the mud? Or are today's audience really that out of tune with him? I find that difficult to believe, but that seems to be case. Maybe "The Last Stand" didn't look like Arnold's greatest movie, but it deserved more respect on its opening weekend than $6 million.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Nukem View Post
Or are today's audience really that out of tune with him?
You mean opposed to the audience that didn't want to see him pregnant in Junior, cringed all the way from Jingle All the Way, thought he sucked in Batman & Robin, were not impressed with the 6th Day, couldn't care less about his horror attempt End of Days, thought Collateral Damage was too soon after 9/11 and thought he was an old android in Terminator 3?
Old 02-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald View Post
You mean opposed to the audience that didn't want to see him pregnant in Junior, cringed all the way from Jingle All the Way, thought he sucked in Batman & Robin, were not impressed with the 6th Day, couldn't care less about his horror attempt End of Days, thought Collateral Damage was too soon after 9/11 and thought he was an old android in Terminator 3?
As opposed to his initially successful although imperfect career, yes, I am surprised that "The Last Stand" isn't doing a little better. After one or more movies flop or disappoint, audiences are bound to give a newer, better offering a chance. I am willing to say that "Terminator 3" was an improvement over the films you mentioned and did rake in the money. Perhaps his latest film flopped for one or all the reasons I've pondered. Whatever the case, it is still a decent movie and return to form, no matter how much $$$ it rakes in.