Old 03-21-2013, 04:03 PM
The Place Beyond the Pines

Directed by Derek Cianfrance

Written by Derek Cianfrance, Ben Coccio and Darius Marder

Genre: Crime/Drama

Plot Outline: A motorcycle stunt rider turns to robbing banks as a way to provide for his lover and their newborn child, a decision that puts him on a collision course with an ambitious rookie cop navigating a department ruled by a corrupt detective.

Starring: Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper, Ben Mendelsohn, Ray Liotta, Eva Mendes, Dane DeHaan, Rose Byrne, Bruce Greenwood, Emory Cohen

Rated R for language throughout, some violence, teen drug and alcohol use, and a sexual reference

Runtime: 140 minutes

Anticipating the 2nd viewing of this more than the 1st viewing of any other movie coming out this year.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm seeing this more in anticipation because of your review and the buzz behind it. I hope my first viewing experience will match yours.

Wow, that's a long run time. Are there any lags?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
I hope my first viewing experience will match yours.
I hope so too. It's not going to be something that everyone loves, for reasons that I can't really get into without spoiling the movie, but I think if you like the way Cianfrance deals with character interaction and are a fan of ambitious structure (like say, The Deer Hunter), then you will love this movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
Wow, that's a long run time. Are there any lags?
In my opinion, not one. It is structured in a way that leaves little room for any kind of lagging. It also helps that pairing any two of the cast members together in a scene is bound to make it electrifying. The scenes with Gosling and Mendelsohn together are just pure gold.

Last edited by Bourne101; 03-21-2013 at 04:54 PM..
Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Yeah, after Bourne's review, I'm all over this! Looks great!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:15 AM
Blue Valentine is probably my favorite film of the decade so far, so I'm naturally excited for Cianfrance's next effort. Add to that the themes it seems ready to explore (father/son relationships, legacy, etc.), a dynamite cast, along with Bourne's raves and my anticipation is through the roof. Cannot wait to check this out.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:45 AM
It better be good Bourne or else I'm gonna be PISSED!!!

Old 03-22-2013, 06:09 AM
Honestly, the trailer did not blow me away. But I love the cast, Blue Valentine, while not a masterpiece, was nonetheless a solid film. And yes, Bourne's review, all make me hopeful.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Derek Cianfrance knows how to weave a story together. In Blue Valentine we saw a relationship as it was budding juxtaposed to when the marriage was disintegrating away in gut wrenching fashion. Now, Cianfrance reteams with Ryan Gosling and brings us three connected stories spanning 15 years in upstate New York that are gritty, intense and harrowing.

Gosling plays Luke a motorcycle stunt performer who travels with a carnival from town to town. As he passes through Schenectady New York he tries to reconnect with former lover Romina (Eva Mendes) only to find out she has a one-year-old son and it’s his. Wanting to be there for his son he gives up his travelling schedule and takes up a job as a mechanic when Robin (Ben Mendelsohn) notices some ambition within the blonde haired, tattooed Luke.

When the discussion of robbing a bank for some quick cash turns into a reality, this “Hall & Oates” duo string together a handful of jobs, one of which puts him in the cross hairs of ambitious rookie cop Avery Cross played by Bradley Cooper.

At its core The Place Beyond the Pines is a gripping, multi-layered epic story of the consequences for choices we make and how those choices reverberate through generations.

Rest in spoiler - it is spoiler free -

Spoiler:
With the classic tale of a father’s sins and wrongdoings catching up with his next of kin as the backdrop, Pines and Cianfrance manage to encapsulate the family struggle in the midst of evil deeds.

By no means is The Place Beyond the Pines an easy or straight-forward story being told. It’s complex and dives deep into each character and their deficiencies. Gosling’s Luke is a broken man yet he’ll do anything to provide for his family, including robbing multiple banks and going on high speed chases on his motorcycle. With the help of his buddy Robin the two seemingly orchestrate a foolproof plan of getaway each time but these aren’t your typical clean Hollywood getaways. And when Luke wants to rob more then one bank in an afternoon Robin warns him about the heat that could come down on them and refuses to let him throw his life away.

With three different perspectives and acts a Gosling, Mendes and Mendelsohn act, the Cooper act and the Dane DeHaan and Emory Cohen who play Jason and AJ, the sons of Luke and Avery 15 years later in the story. Each act is a building block while at the same time the act that unfolds peels back layers upon layers of Cianfrance’s legacy saga.

Luke and Avery are these two hardheaded battering rams that play a dangerous cat and mouse game. Officer Avery is fresh out of the academy and thus wearing his badge with pride being the good guy trying to get rid of the scum on the street, something the seasoned cops lost along the way. We’re taken into the Avery’s life who is married to Jennifer (Rose Byrne) with an infant son who is trying to balance the job, a department run by a corrupt cop Deluca (Ray Liotta) and family life.

The third story is what ties the entire film together and takes it to soaring heights, a level which only the best of the best at the end of the year reach. We’re 15 years into the future from the start of the film and in comes AJ and Jason the sons of out antagonist and protagonist. Jason comes from a solid home, he lived with his mother, grandmother and had a good stepfather since Luke traveled so much, he and Romina could never make it work. Even though he had a strong upbringing he always knew there was something missing as he was lied to and protected from the truth of his father’s ways. AJ was also born in a strong household but is the kind of kid who rebels and didn’t have that strong of a relationship with his father, so his misbehavior is a classic cry for attention. The two wrestle with their own identities, the search for truth and balancing their own tumultuous high school friendship.

DeHaan steals the show in Pines and to do so when your headline actors are Oscar nominated is saying something. His longing for the truth and desire to fill the void in his life shapes Jason as a fascinating character, much like many in the film, but the performance is riveting especially since it’s one that brings the story full circle. Emory Cohen who is best known for his work on the T.V. show Smash, counters Jason’s sulking exterior by being the pseudo-popular kid from out of town who likes to throw parties and do drugs. The two are essentially what the entire film is about, dealing with the relationships of absentee fathers and coming to their own conclusions about the hand they’ve been dealt.

Gosling once again proves that he can handle any character thrown his way and pairing with Cianfrance is a recipe for instant success. According to Cianfrance this was a dream project for the two of them that was discussed when Blue Valentine was in production. His portrayal of the damaged and mysterious Luke is astounding and it’s simply another notch on his belt. When he meets Mendes’ Romina she’s just as caught off guard. Mendes sheds the sex-symbol image we’re use to seeing from her and plays a more homely looking, diner-working mother whom has stable relationship with a man named Kofi (Mahershala Ali). She hasn’t had to get this dramatic since Training Day so it’s refreshing to see even if it really isn’t her comfort zone.

The other standout of the film is without a doubt Ben Mendelsohn who plays the deceitful and derelict-looking Robin. Known recently from films like Killing Them Softly and The Dark Knight Rises, Mendelsohn fit like a glove as Luke’s confidant and right hand man. So much so, that Gosling cast Mendelsohn to star in his upcoming directorial debut How to Catch a Monster.

Cooper who is coming off an Oscar nomination for Silver Linings Playbook now has a certain level of quality to maintain in his performances. His performance as Avery starts off odd and misplaced in my eyes when he’s just entering the force but gets very strong in the third act, shades of Silver Linings Playbook for sure in terms of having to elevate his performance and get to the next level.

Cianfrance and fellow scribes Ben Coccio and Darius Marder masterfully take us down a violent rabbit hole where there is nothing but repercussions and karma awaiting those on the other side. They crafted these three interconnecting parts more so like separate mini films that come together in a suspenseful and dramatic third arc. The fact that the storytelling is done in a linear fashion and forgoes typical structure leaves you guessing unable to tell exactly which direction the film is heading.

The Place Beyond the Pines could lose it’s audience if they’re not willing to buy into the story but the journey and pay-off are massive and brilliantly executed. Think of it as a big puzzle, as long as you don’t quit after the first few pieces you’re in store for a magical final paining. Factor in a great soundtrack, an authentic script and the ability to juggle so many themes at once and all it proves is that Derek Cianfrance is not a one-hit-wonder, in fact he is a force to be reckoned with.

Rating: A

Last edited by P1NSTR1PEZ; 03-22-2013 at 08:36 PM..
Old 03-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Hey P1NSTR1PEZ, could you possibly put that review in a spoiler tag (at least until the movie comes out and some people have seen it) or remove some of the review that enters spoiler territory? It's a very good review (that I agree with very much), but I do think it gives some things away that others who want to go in completely blind might not want to read.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Check this out once you've seen the movie. It's Cianfrance breaking down the opening unbroken take (with clip). I suppose you could watch it beforehand (it doesn't really spoil anything), but for those who want to go in blind, I'd hold off.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/2013/03...?smid=tw-share

Last edited by Bourne101; 03-22-2013 at 04:58 PM..
Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Hey P1NSTR1PEZ, could you possibly put that review in a spoiler tag (at least until the movie comes out and some people have seen it) or remove some of the review that enters spoiler territory? It's a very good review (that I agree with very much), but I do think it gives some things away that others who want to go in completely blind might not want to read.
Thanks - did so - although It's spoiler free in my eyes aside from some plot and trailer info.

I've seen reviews from GQ, Rolling Stone and THR seriously ruin the film with their reviews don't go there folks.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1NSTR1PEZ View Post
Thanks - did so - although It's spoiler free in my eyes aside from some plot and trailer info.
Much appreciated.

Yeah, there weren't any big spoilers, there are just a few plot points that weren't in the trailer that some might not want to know going in. I imagine you would agree that it's best to go in knowing as little as possible.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 PM
100% agreed - I've actually been telling people not to read anything about the film, that includes my review, before seeing it.

But some people are just curious and want to know what they are getting into.

So I churn out the reviews, and it's surprisingly getting a ton of reads on my site. But yes the less you know about this film the better.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:08 AM
I am dying to see this as I was a HUGE fan of Blue Valentine and Gosling just in general. Its getting harder to keep myself out of the loop though as the buzz continues to build and literally every early festival review made a point to skirt over the plot as much as possible while advising everyone to steer clear of reviews and sometimes even trailers...I have little to no doubt that it will be great but at this point I know next to nothing about what to expect outside of a couple brief plot synopsis' which is something my inner internet conditioned nerd isnt used to these days.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:07 PM
This is set to open on March 29th, but according to the movie's website, it's only going to 4 theaters. Are the rest of us going to be stuck waiting for a DVD release?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:54 PM
You know, I was actually just going to ask that question. This is only opening in limited release. Anyone know if and when it'll go wide?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
You know, I was actually just going to ask that question. This is only opening in limited release. Anyone know if and when it'll go wide?
I would have guessed that it was already out in limited release with the wide release coming on the 29th. Hell, they even showed the trailer for it in front of "Olympus Has Fallen". Maybe the website is wrong.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz68 View Post
I would have guessed that it was already out in limited release with the wide release coming on the 29th. Hell, they even showed the trailer for it in front of "Olympus Has Fallen". Maybe the website is wrong.
I hope you're right. I've been counting on the 29th and never considered that at least one theater in my city wouldn't get it. I'll be so disappointed if not.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:10 AM
Trailers playing in front of movies mean nothing. Heck, even posters being at a theater mean nothing. I remember there was a poster for an upcoming movie I wanted to see at my local theater that ended up never coming there.

March 29th IS a limited release unless something changes in the next few days. When it goes wider and how much wider it'll go, I do not know.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:03 AM
Guess im making the trip to Lincoln Square Saturday
Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 AM
For those who are wondering, it goes semi-wide on April 12th.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Quote:
For those who are wondering, it goes semi-wide on April 12th.
Thank you for this. I checked and I do not have it this Friday so I hope I will in April. So disappointed I had counted on going this weekend. They did show the trailer today before Olympus Has Fallen.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz68 View Post
This is set to open on March 29th, but according to the movie's website, it's only going to 4 theaters. Are the rest of us going to be stuck waiting for a DVD release?
isn't it going wide on April 12?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
It better be good Bourne or else I'm gonna be PISSED!!!
It's getting roughed up a bit by some critics, so I fully expect that some of you will be disappointed. I'm already expecting Spike Durden to give it a shit-kicking.

There is one quote from Tim Grierson's review that I think ultimately sums it up for me: "You may not always buy the movie, but you buy the people in it.". I think my comparisons to The Deer Hunter go beyond the structure of the two films. The Deer Hunter has some pretty big contrivances and plot holes that nitpicky critics had a field day with, but The Deer Hunter isn't really that concerned with plot. It's concerned with people. I think the same can be said for The Place Beyond the Pines.

Last edited by Bourne101; 03-28-2013 at 10:19 PM..
Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 AM
Quote:
It's getting roughed up a bit by some critics, so I fully expect that some of you will be disappointed. I'm already expecting Spike Durden to give it a shit-kicking.

There is one quote from Tim Grierson's review that I think ultimately sums it up for me: "You may not always buy the movie, but you buy the people in it.". I think my comparisons to The Deer Hunter go beyond the structure of the two films. The Deer Hunter has some pretty big contrivances and plot holes that nitpicky critics had a field day with, but The Deer Hunter isn't really that concerned with plot. It's concerned with people. I think the same can be said for The Place Beyond the Pines.
I hope I don't give it a "shit-kicking" as I can't wait to see it, hopefully tomorrow. Blue Valentine was my top film of 2010 alongside Toy Story 3. Is there a reason why you think I'll feel this way?

Also, a couple of the films we initially clashed on last year - notably The Master - I have come around on in a big way, and I think we ended up agreeing on quite a few of the December releases as well. There are few people I enjoy discussing films with more than you on this site because you're always up for a respectful back and forth, even if we disagree.

Last edited by SpikeDurden; 03-29-2013 at 01:00 AM..
Old 03-29-2013, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
I hope I don't give it a "shit-kicking" as I can't wait to see it, hopefully tomorrow. Blue Valentine was my top film of 2010 alongside Toy Story 3. Is there a reason why you think I'll feel this way?
Haha, I was mostly just joking around. If you liked Blue Valentine though, you should like it. You may have some problems with the structure, but if you like the way Cianfrance deals with natural and engaging character interaction, Pines has plenty of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
There are few people I enjoy discussing films with more than you on this site because you're always up for a respectful back and forth, even if we disagree.
Ditto. I have a feeling that, whether you love or hate Pines, we will have a good discussion about it. I've been itching since September to be able to talk about it in detail.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:56 PM
Had no idea that Bruce Greenwood was in this. It doesn't really effect my anticipation because it was already pretty high. But it's cool to see.

Hey Bourne, does he have a small part or is it actually fairly substantial?
Old 03-30-2013, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Had no idea that Bruce Greenwood was in this. It doesn't really effect my anticipation because it was already pretty high. But it's cool to see.

Hey Bourne, does he have a small part or is it actually fairly substantial?
Smaller role, but a couple of big scenes.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:42 PM
I finally got a chance to see this film, and I was so excited. But my friend made all the arrangements, and I unwittingly found myself watching the beginning of a dubbed version, before deciding it would be better to wait. Now I have to wait until at least Friday before I'm going to have the time to watch it.

From what I saw I am now more intrigued than ever.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Unlike a critic who gave away a key plot twist in The Place Beyond the Pines,who will remain nameless....
ah screw it :Joe Neumaier of the NEW YORK DAILY NEWS,I will only speak of what is shown in the trailer.
Ryan Gosling as Luke Glanton is a daredevil motorcycle rider in a traveling carnival,upon finding out he
has a son with a local Schenectady, New York waitress Eva Mendes as Romina, he decides to plant his roots and takes a job as
a mechanic which doesnt pay well so he turns to robbing banks.
Bradley Cooper as Avery Cross who lives in the same city of Schenectady, New York,is a rookie cop trying to
rise above the corruption that surrounds him.

The Place Beyond the Pines is about father's and sons,trying to escape the shadow of and sins of the father.
What a person will do when they want to hold on to whats rightfully theirs.How one persons path and decisions
effects another and so on and so on forever changing one's destiny or fate,and what makes one distant and estranged.
Lives criss cross and the paths and roads taken by the characters that inhabit the film become synonymous with the beautifully shot
journeys down the road taken from an aerial view.
Director Derek Cianfrance masterfully handles the shift in tones from taking a fun family picture to an act of violence,
a partially viewed faces raising tension and suspense,and a desperate phone call.

Gosling and Mendes have terrific chemistry.They both make you feel every moment whether if its a a high or low one,
when they are on the screen.Cooper does a fine job as a character that is consistently transforming,but still carrying
the weight of his actions with him throughout his transformation.Praise to the rest of the cast including Rose Byrne,Ray Liotta ,
Dane DeHaan ,Bruce Greenwood,Ben Mendelsohn and Robert Clohessy.

The last half hour becomes predictable and is not as strong as the films first 2 acts,but The Place Beyond the Pines is an almost perfect
union of a crime thriller and a compelling family drama.

Scale of 1-10 an 8
Old 04-06-2013, 06:45 PM
Finally caught a proper version. Initial thoughts: Oh, wow.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Finally caught a proper version. Initial thoughts: Oh, wow.
Whoa you were able to watch it online???

Could you please pm me the link. Thanks.

And if I do end up seeing it first online, I'll still make sure to catch it in theaters.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:16 AM
I'm seeing a preview screening of this tomorrow evening after work. TOO FUCKING EXCITED.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:05 PM

I'll be seeing this in a couple of hours. So pumped! I'm really surprised that its playing in the Phoenix area. One of the pluses of living in a big city I guess.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:47 PM

Holy Shit. This was even better than I thought.

A damn near masterpiece imo.

Bourne, you were right about this film homie. It's gonna be really hard to beat. My two favorite parts were obviously Gosling's (that opening scene with those 3 bikes was CRAZY seriously how the fuck did they pull that off??)

The other part I loved was Dane's part as Luke's son. Both him and the kid that played AJ were top notch choices.

And I'm really glad at how it ended
Spoiler:
I was worried that the ending was going to be insanely bleak. Luckily it wasnt cause I loved all the characters

10/10
Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 PM
How would you guys compare it to Blue Valentine? A step up?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilljoy View Post
How would you guys compare it to Blue Valentine? A step up?
Blue Valentine was a good film (8/10 imo) but The Place Beyond the Pines just blows it away. It's more of an "epic" film if that makes any sense.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Quote:
My two favorite parts were obviously Gosling's (that opening scene with those 3 bikes was CRAZY seriously how the fuck did they pull that off??)
Glad to hear you liked it. Check out this (http://www.nytimes.com/video/2013/03...?smid=tw-share) for a break down of that opening scene.

Spoiler:
On an emotional level, the part where he's about to get captured/killed and he calls Romina... that was some heavy shit.

Something along the lines of, "Don't tell him anything about me".

Also for those who have seen it, did you dig the score or what? I thought it was unreal.

Last edited by Bourne101; 04-07-2013 at 10:31 PM..
Old 04-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Holy Shit. This was even better than I thought.

A damn near masterpiece imo.

10/10
Dammit echo. Fuck you I have see about 10 tv spots since we talked earlier and I am literally foaming at the mouth to see it now.

I am stuck in a hotel right now until the 11th but there is a theater showing it about an hour and a half from here and after reading that I am SERIOUSLY considering the possibly $100 cab ride to get there...its just the ride back thats killing me. Haha ok, lets be honest the ride there would kill me too but at least the movie would cushion the blow a bit.

Ah well I live in Austin so I am sure it will be at the Drafthouse soon enough. That'd be a nice birthday present if it showed up there Friday.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 PM
After much unfortunate delay (My mom is sick), tomorrow is the day.