Old 04-04-2013, 01:02 PM

Written and directed by Brian Helgeland

Plot: The life story of Jackie Robinson and his history-making signing with the Brooklyn Dodgers under the guidance of team executive Branch Rickey.

Starring: Chadwick Boseman, Harrison Ford, Nicole Beharie, Christopher Meloni, Lucas Black

Rated PG-13 for thematic elements including language

Runtime: 128 minutes

I'll probably see this. Will wait til reviews come in.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:06 PM
April is a great month for limited release type movies, but not so great for the wide releases. But this is one of the few wide releases that actually looks pretty decent. And it's cool to see Harrison Ford do something a little different from what he usually does.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:45 PM
My dad grew up in Brooklyn as a big Dodger's fan, so their legacy has always interested me and I've heard stories about the team my whole life. Thus, I'm really looking forward to checking this out with him to see how he feels it captures (or doesn't) the details.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:01 AM
More than any other sport, I am a pretty big fan of baseball. My aunt has always been obsessed with Jackie R. She even has a pristine autographed rookie card, so I grew up hearing alot about him and his story back when I was just a little dude.

Love the cast, story, and the trailers- minus the Jay Z song, which I get fits lyrically but just feels out of place. The release date and lack of any real buzz or early word has me a bit worried.

Hoping for the best, but fearing for the mediocre/average. Can't see it ending up flat out terrible though, so I will wait for some reviews to start rolling in before I decide if this deserves a trip to the theater or a just a rental.

Last edited by marilynMONROBOT; 04-07-2013 at 01:06 PM..
Old 04-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Reviews seem OK so far. I like a good baseball movie, so I'll check it out and hope for the best. It looks a little too glossy (I would love to see what Spike Lee had in mind before he passed on it), but it's such a great story that it would honestly be pretty hard to totally fuck up. It would probably be a masterpiece in Lee's hands though.

Last edited by Bourne101; 04-10-2013 at 11:22 PM..
Old 04-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Ill definitely be renting this once it hits Blu Ray/DVD
Old 04-14-2013, 11:14 AM
The number 42 signifies something much bigger then Jackie Robinson. The fact that no one is allowed to wear the number in baseball anymore (besides Yankees pitcher Mariano Rivera who was grandfathered in after the number was retired) isn’t just a tip of the hat to how great of a player Robinson was. It’s a testament to what he meant to the world, to our culture and then to baseball.

The Jackie Robinson story is one every baseball fan learns when they are young, so it’s odd that it took such a long time to come to the big screen. Spike Lee tried to make the film a few decades ago with Denzel Washington but it never came to fruition. Now fairly unknown Chadwick Boseman dons the Brooklyn Dodgers cap and portrays the first ever African American baseball player in Major League Baseball.

42 tells the tale of breaking the color barrier but more so from the political side of things in the game of baseball and out. Instead of really focusing on the athlete that was Robinson, the film keys on MLB players opposing Robinson and even on his team that wanted nothing to do with him. From petitions by his own teammates to not take the field with him to hotels refusing to service the Dodgers because Robinson was one of their ball players. The main focus of the film is the color issue and everything that came along with that.

In 1947 Brooklyn Dodgers General Manager Branch Rickey (Harrison Ford) took a stand against prejudice by bringing Robinson into the Dodgers organization. A .350 hitter in the Negro Leagues, Robinson hit the cover off the ball and stole bases all the way to the Major Leagues amidst vile racism from every direction. At first it was Robinson and Rickey against the world, until other Dodgers players took a stand and embraced Robinson not for the color of his skin but for the color of the uniform he wore.

Nicole Beharie plays Rachel Robinson, Jackie’s wife the only stable, comforting stronghold in his life. The spotlight is always on the two of them as their love is keeping them sane with all the hate that is around them. With the only friends of Robinson’s being Rickey, his wife and Wendell Smith (Andre Holland) an African American reporter who will be chronicling Robinson’s journey, he must let his play on the field do the talking as any from his mouth will only add fuel to the fire.

We journey through the minor leagues with Robinson, crowds segregated with colored and white sections, half cheering for Robinson, hailing him as a hero the other booing and hurling racial slurs every time he’s in the on-deck circle. The language throughout the film is crude and harsh, especially when the Dodgers are playing the Phillies and manager Ben Chapman (Alan Tudyk) gets into Robinson’s head by standing outside the dugout yelling every possible racial slur at Robinson.

42 certainly gets the feel down pat, as the game, jerseys, stadiums all feel properly dated. Where the film goes array is with Ford’s performance as Rickey. There is a genuine kinship you feel between he and Robinson but between his “old school” accent and over the top screaming, Ford seems completely out of his element. On top of the misguidance of Ford, there are too many occasions where moments are amplified by cheesy The Natural-like epic music that is really not needed. The triumph is in the story; we don’t need music to be a crutch to enhance the importance of a home run or stolen base.

I did enjoy the small side story of Pittsburgh Courier reporter Wendell Smith who just like Robinson is fighting for equality in baseball and the job force being a colored journalist. He would sit on the third base line with a typewriter on his lap writing his game stories and columns because blacks were not allowed in the press box. He is Rickey’s personally assigned chauffer to Robinson throughout the 1946 and 1947 season as he documents the historic rise and impact of the man who wore 42. Not only does Andre Holland look just like Smith but his performance is great and plays a great sidekick to Robinson.

Boseman fits as Robinson from the body type to the anger he comes across as very comfortable in the role even if he doesn’t look much like Robinson. In fact he looks more like current MLB outfielder Curtis Granderson, but I digress. Boseman’s acting is at his finest during his rage filled encounters with Tudyk on the field and with his own teammates in the locker room. He’s vulnerable but knows if he shows weakness he’ll only experience worse from the bigots in the stands.

Brian Helgeland’s 42 brings to life a Civil War that was fought a million against one until finally the pay off changed history forever. Robinson’s impact on the field is felt as the Dodgers fight for the pennant while the acceptance of teammates like Pee Wee Reese (Lucas Black), Eddie Stanky (Jesse Luken), Ralph Branca (Hamish Linklater), and Kirby Higbe (Brad Beyer) finally arrive. The film is presented in a straightforward manner yet seemingly accurate and beautiful to the eye. It’s a trip through history reminding us why Robinson is so revered, while also teaching those unfamiliar with his story why Robinson meant as much to equal right as he did to the legacy of the game of baseball.

More often then not 42 feels like a made for TV movie then one on the silver screen. It just felt incomplete and didn’t explore enough of Jackie Robinson the great baseball player for my liking. Unfortunately, going forward when we talk about great baseball films, this one won’t be in the conversation.

Rating: C
Old 04-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Meh I'll pass on this.

And is it just me or does Harrison Ford suck ass now? He used to be the shit and picked great films but lately that hasn't been the case.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:41 AM
The film 42 focuses on only about 3 years of Jackie Robinson's life,which is a bit of a
disappointment since so much of his life was interesting before and after retiring from
baseball.Still 42 is a very strong film,with even stronger performances. Team executive
Branch Rickey (an almost unrecognizeable Harrison Ford),had his personal and financial reasons for
breaking Major League Baseball's color barrier by signing African American player Jackie Robinson.
Which in 1945 was completely unheard of and many balked at the idea.

The film thankfully doesnt try to sugar coat what followed.There wasnt some great Disney moment in which
Robinson was accepted by his fellow teammates,players on oppossing teams ,or people attending the games
Fortunately Robinson had the support of a loving wife (Nicole Beharie as Rachel Isum Robinson, African American sportswriter
Wendell Smith(Andre Holland) and Rickey who was a stern almost fatherly figure to Robinson.
There were some including Dodgers manager, Leo Durocher (Christopher Meloni) and Pee Wee Reese(Lucas Black)who felt if Robinson
had the goods he deserved to be on the playing field as much as any other man.

Director and writer Brian Helgeland hits all the right emotional chords.After listening to a relentless barrage of racial slurs from
Philadelphia Phillies, manager Ben Chapman(Alan Tudyk ) Robinson leaves the field and his outcry afterwards went right through me.One of
the most emotional moments i have ever seen on screen.
Chadwick Boseman as Jackie Robinson hits all of the right likeable notes.The supporting cast is terrific.
Robinson had to face racism not with his fists but to turn his anger around and beat the racists at their own game,by stealing bases
playing the game, and letting his talent shine through.

Scale of 1-10 an 8˝
Old 04-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Just saw this and although I thought it was a good movie it was just about the most Sugary, Disneyfied movie I have ever seen not made by Disney!

The music cues up, a big thing is going to happen, the script is real, I cant even explain it other than Sugary!

But not a bad movie at all, and a good story (obviously), but it just seemed too again, sugary!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 PM

9/10

I have to say I was very impressed with this film and it’s FAR better than what I expected. It plays with more heart and better balance than most other films that tackle this well covered subject. It’s sentimental but in a very good way. Some people may label that as cheese but it works perfectly here.

As expected, Jackie’s perspective and his trials were covered but the film offers a glimpse of the era and other character motivations are touched upon. It was great to see not every white guy was portrayed as an ignorant redneck fool. There’s a fair share of them in the film but there were a fair share of them back then as well. This is almost as much Branch Rickey’s (Harrison Ford) movie as it is Jackie’s. The supporting characters are wonderful. The baseball itself is sound and shot very well. I was pleasantly surprised to see the faith aspect was actually quite strong. A great line from the film said to Jackie by Rickey: "You need to be like our Savior and have the guts to turn the other cheek." It seems both Rickey and Robinson were devote Christians and the story did not shy away from that factor. Like everything, they played it right without too heavy a hand.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:10 PM

It was definitely a lot better than I was expecting it to be. I was kind of kicking myself for being dragged to it but I certainly enjoyed myself. Harrison Ford was great here, BTW to the person who said he "sucks ass" now. The only thing I wish was that it had a bit more meat to it. There should have been more character development with the other players and Jackie.

7/10
Old 05-04-2013, 12:30 PM
It's a good movie in that I thought it showed the way things were not only in sports, but in society as far as race relations and sports were concerned. Not only did Jackie Robinson have to deal with fans and the media as far as being a black player in a white baseball league, but he had to deal with his own teammates not wanting him in the same uniform. Some of the scenes were just infuriating seeing and hearing all the things he had to endure while simply playing a game. The movie does take individual scenes or sequences to symbolize the times and how they were set to change - the young fan with his racist father in the stands of a baseball game comes to mind. Chadwick Boseman does a good job as Robinson, Harrison Ford seems to have had way too much fun as Branch Rickey, and Chris Meloni and Alan Tudyk do superb jobs in their small roles. It's not the best sports movie I've ever seen, far from it, but it was fun to watch and learn a little about what the legend experienced during his first season or two in the MLB.

7/10