Old 05-23-2013, 07:55 PM
The Last of Us

Release Date: June 14, 2013
Official Site:
http://www.thelastofus.com

First announced nearly 2 years ago, this amazing game is about to be released. It's my most anticipated game of 2013. Anyone else looking forward to this?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Uncharted is one of my favorite series of games of all time, especially the first and second ones. The fact that Naughty Dog is making this pretty much has me extremely curious and most likely going to be buying it in a black friday sale of some sort around Xmas time.

Although I do wish it was a PC release also.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:42 AM
I still haven't played a Zombie game I liked. I really hope this is the one because it looks all kinds of epic.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Been checking out reveiws and if they are to be believed this is going to be an incredible game. The term "generation defining" was tossed about quite a bit. Metacritic has it sitting at a 95 over the span of close to 50 reviews, which is crazy.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Been checking out reveiws and if they are to be believed this is going to be an incredible game. The term "generation defining" was tossed about quite a bit. Metacritic has it sitting at a 95 over the span of close to 50 reviews, which is crazy.
I noticed this as well. More than a handful of review places pretty much said it was hands down the best game to come out this entire console generation.

Might have to buy this before the price drops... but we shall see.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Was considering Remember Me, but the scattered reviews have left me hesitant. Might buy this instead of the great reviews keep coming.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:19 AM
The other thing that gets me is that they are saying the Multiplayer is supposed to be crazy good as well. Some sort of team survival nonsense. Only saw a bit of in in the one video review i saw.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:56 PM
This game actually has me considering buying a PS3. It looks that fucking unmissable.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Reserved my copy today. Been looking for a new PS3 title since my PC and Steam stole my gaming soul.

Just checked Metacritic. Its at 57 reviewS and a 96 overall now. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!1

Last edited by vesaker; 06-06-2013 at 06:08 PM..
Old 06-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Played the demo on the GOW Ascension disc, it was bland. I know nothing but good press has come out, but from my demo experience it was like Uncharted with creatures. I still have it reserved though, will be a play / trade just like all the other new releases I buy.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Tomorrow.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ed View Post
Played the demo on the GOW Ascension disc, it was bland. I know nothing but good press has come out, but from my demo experience it was like Uncharted with creatures. I still have it reserved though, will be a play / trade just like all the other new releases I buy.
I'd wager it's the story that really shines.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:12 AM
This game will undoubtedly have the surrogate-father/daughter relationship that more games should utilize when it's in a post-apocalyptic setting. Two strangers meet and create a close bond that is so emotional you'd believe they were really mother/father and son/daughter; it's why I loved the Walking Dead game. That game nearly had me in tears at the end. I can only expect the same amount of emotional impact here.

Can't wait to pick this game up!
Old 06-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Picked up my copy this morning, can't wait to get home.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:22 PM
That opening man......

Spoiler:
Old 06-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HyDe807 View Post
That opening man......

Spoiler:
I know eh
Old 06-16-2013, 12:55 AM
I got a couple of hours in. I just finished the part where...
Spoiler:
Joel and Ellie run into the hunters in the car.

I'm definitely loving this game so far. Stealth is definitely not my strong suit, but damn do I feel like a boss when I'm able to string out a couple of stealth kills.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:23 PM
There is no doubt the game is good but it is highly overrated. Combat is repetitive its nearly impossible to perfectly execute complete stealth simply because Ellie or another NPC constantly blows your cover. Upgrading Joel seems kind of useless except for the obvious upgrade like health. The infected are cool and fights with them are exciting. The environments are really lacking. This game tries to pretend its an open world game when its rat chAsing cheese point a to b. I was disappointed that you travel to cities and wilderness yet you spend almost all of your time in the city in a hotel? I want to explore! More disappointing is the 4 types of enemies we get! Why does everything look the sAme! Also the story isn't that great it's the standard wasteland shit we've heard a million times and also if you think the banter in this is better the constant jawing from drAke in uncharted then you are insane! Sorry for the disjointed text typed it from my phone.

Also what really gets on my nerves is this game is all about survival and conserving ammo and utilizing melee, however you can't even freaking block, counter or dodge! WHAT IS UP WITH THAT!!!!???? How frustrating is it when you are throwing haymakers and the the enemy sneaks in a jab and Joel acts like he got whacked with a shovel. Dodge or counter that shit. COME ON MAN!

Last edited by Evil Ed; 06-17-2013 at 03:12 PM..
Old 06-17-2013, 10:31 PM
I got some ample time with this bad boy tonight, and I stopped at...
Spoiler:
the part where Joel gives Ellie the gun, and the hunters took out the couple. The sequence where Ellie provides cover while I take out the hunters was probably my greatest use of stealth in any game. They were like fish in a barrel.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:29 PM
What difficulty are you playing on for Ellie or whoever to blow your cover in stealth? I'm on normal and there have been more than a few times when someone with me just runs out of cover in front of enemies and nothing happens. They ignore any other AI controlled partner.

Anyway, I think this has lived up to the hype from what I've played so far. And this coming from someone who thought Uncharted 3 was horrendously over-rated. Story is superb and the game play is as well. I like how all of the different enemies react totally different and you can approach things head on or stealthy. Games always promise that choice, but they very rarely make them both work.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Simply loving this game.
Somehow survived winter and I gotta say that final scene kicked my ass.
I'm at 95% so I'm getting closer, don't want this to end.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:28 AM
Some of the controls are a bit glitchy. Some of the environments are hard to navigate. It's a very fun game so far (only about 4 hours in) but it's not groundbreaking. At least not yet.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Maybe it's a fun game but I'll wait until it's really cheap.

I am so wary of high scored game reviews. I don't even care if people post about how great it is. I've had this kind of "disagreement" with my opinion on games so many times in the past.
More recently:
Medal of Honor (any of them)
Metal Gear Solid
God of War
Red Dead Revolver
GTA IV (what a POS)
L.A. Noir
Wastelands
Alan Wake
Halo (anything)
Dead Island (people loved the preview, but it was pre-rendered and not a representation of the game itself - I think in the end though, I won this argument)
Witcher 2

blah blah blah....
Have I become pessimistic? Perhaps. But once this game is under $14.99, I'll buy it lickety-split!!!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:38 AM
I finished the game just yesterday, and I can definitely say it was a great game!

For me, it wasn't the visuals or gameplay; it was the relationship between Joel and Ellie. That, which culminated at the end of the game itself, made it perfect. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't played or finished it, but the last half of the game up until the very last moment is what makes this game truly unique. And it's why the dozens of review sites gave it near-to-absolute perfect scores.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
GTA IV (what a POS)
False.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vong View Post

For me, it wasn't the visuals or gameplay; it was the relationship between Joel and Ellie. That, which culminated at the end of the game itself, made it perfect. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't played or finished it, but the last half of the game up until the very last moment is what makes this game truly unique. And it's why the dozens of review sites gave it near-to-absolute perfect scores.
Well said.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vong View Post
I finished the game just yesterday, and I can definitely say it was a great game!

Couldn't agree more. There's no such a thing as absolutelly perfect game and games with flaws can get 10/10 score. If the game captures you and won't let go until you beat it may deserve such a score. The Last of Us is on my mind despite I finished it.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Eh, the game was good, very repetitive, by the time I reach the winter section I was struggling to keep playing because the story became boring. Maybe it's just me getting older but I've really been having a hard time getting into story's. Tomb Raider, God of War Ascension, Last of Us, every time a cut scene hit I just wanted it to be over so I could keep playing. I just can't commit to sitting down and following along.

I have to say that the multiplayer is quite good though, maybe even better than the game itself. Definitely a breath a fresh air from the COD/NHL cycle. Supply raid is where it's at.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:59 PM
It is a bit repetitive, but it's still fun to play. I enjoy the dynamic between Ellie and Joel, but for me, games are supposed to be fun, first and foremost. Everything else is icing on the cake. It's the reason I obsess over Zelda games even though they plot really comes down to saving a damsel in distress.

Anyway, I like the combination of stealth and firefights in this game. I like the versatility of the combat, and I love that ammo is pretty hard to come by (puts the "survival" in "survival horror," something the RE franchise completely forgot about).

My one major gameplay complaint: unless I just haven't figured it out yet, there's no way to punch an enemy when you have a melee weapon. It's annoying because sometimes I want to save my bat or pipe for a clicker, but I want to conserve ammo by beating up a couple of runners with my fists. Doesn't seem to be an option, unless I'm missing something.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Finished the game, and take back what I previously said. It deserves every accolade it's receiving. Amazing game.

I don't like to use phrases like "Game of the Year" because I'm too old to play enough games for stuff like that to have any meaning. I'll just say it's better than the Uncharted games and was really amazing.

Frustrating ending, though.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:44 PM
http://www.joblo.com/forums/search.php?searchid=5837623

That's 135 threads where the word 'repetitive' has been used in this forum. Just sayin'.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:01 PM
This was kind of a mix of Manhunt and Uncharted with a hint of Children of Men in between the story. Can't complain about the technical aspects of it. The winter was probably my favorite part but was also for me the most stressful. I'm much more of an old school gamer and I think stealth games drag but still this a pretty enthralling game.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:42 AM

Last edited by creekin111; 08-05-2013 at 04:42 AM..
Old 12-15-2013, 06:46 PM
I loved it. Not perfect for sure. I hate stealth games, so any time I you *have* to stealth I really struggled to get through. Aside from that I would just blast through everything if I could. The game did have a few "false endings" where the screen would fade to black and you thought it was over, but ultimately I am glad that they made it a longer than normal game. Just that much more time I got to spend in that universe. The story really got to me too. The cast of side characters were amazing. Not just Joel and Ellie, but Tess, Bill, Henry and Sam and even the douchey bad guys like David were all extremely memorable.

Definitely my GOTY, and cracked my top 20 all time.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:20 AM
This game is one of the reasons why I wish I had a PS3.

So instead of playing the game, I actually watched youtube videos of other people playing.

omg, such an amazing storyline.